• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved Review Thread

Tak3n

Banned
Receiving some good reviews so far :)

GamingTrend

Oct 21, 2014

With intuitive controls and great tunes, Disney’s Fantasia: Music Evolved is not only a fantastic rhythm game, but one of the best Kinect games ever made.

IGN

Oct 21, 2014

Fantasia: Music Evolved provides a surprising amount of control and personalization options over each song, which is paired with fun gameplay to bring a fresh new style to the music game genre

GamesBeat

Oct 21, 2014

While it won’t have the party appeal that comes with instruments, it’s a more intuitive, beautiful, and creative experience.

Hardcore Gamer

Oct 21, 2014

The magical combination of two creative powerhouses in Disney and Harmonix has produced one of the best Kinect rhythm games to date. Like no other to come before it, Fantasia: Music Evolved combines the required accuracy of the best of the genre with wholly enjoyable remixing tools that allow players to create new compositions on the fly merely with their hands.

GameSpot

Oct 21, 2014

Makes me feel like a graceful performance artist, a skillful sorcerer, and a master musician all at once.

estructoid

Oct 21, 2014

I'm just glad that the gameplay is so solid and feels so new that the sound of a less-than-desirable song is still something worth playing.

Digital Spy

Oct 21, 2014

It's a game capable of delivering real moments of magic, but is too often marred by inconsistent Kinect controls that can turn those feelings of joy into frustration.

blakep267

taken from the reddit page

GamingTrend - 95
With intuitive controls and great tunes, Disney’s Fantasia: Music Evolved is not only a fantastic rhythm game, but one of the best Kinect games ever made.

GamesBeat - 86
While it won’t have the party appeal that comes with instruments, it’s a more intuitive, beautiful, and creative experience.

IGN - 86
Fantasia: Music Evolved provides a surprising amount of control and personalization options over each song, which is paired with fun gameplay to bring a fresh new style to the music game genre.

Game Informer - 83
If Harmonix’s latest project at times fails to find footing as a traditional game, it makes up for it by invoking a novel experience of discovery, creation, and involvement with music.

Xbox Achievements - 80
a pleasant surprise and one that I’ll happily rope family and friends into playing. There are a few niggles, but the gameplay is immensely satisfying and the tracking spot on.

GamesRadar - 80
With great rhythm gameplay and creative composition, Fantasia: Music Evolved is a colorful title that earns its Fantasia name.

GameSpot - 80
Makes me feel like a graceful performance artist, a skillful sorcerer, and a master musician all at once.

Destructoid - 80
I'm just glad that the gameplay is so solid and feels so new that the sound of a less-than-desirable song is still something worth playing.

Hardcore Gamer - 80
The magical combination of two creative powerhouses in Disney and Harmonix has produced one of the best Kinect rhythm games to date. Like no other to come before it, Fantasia: Music Evolved combines the required accuracy of the best of the genre with wholly enjoyable remixing tools that allow players to create new compositions on the fly merely with their hands.

Post Arcade - 80
It’s wonderfully accessible. The music library here has something for everyone, and the interface is so intuitive that players of all skill and experience levels can play without much worry of failure. It ought to prove a hit at family game nights and small social gatherings alike.

EGM - 75
Waving your arms in front of your TV like you’re conducting some kind of cosmic orchestra is a surprising amount of fun, but the lack of content leaves the experience feeling a bit bare.

Polygon - 70
The original Fantasia was a thing of remarkable wonder and playful experimentation, and the fact that Fantasia: Music Evolved could capture even a small portion of that is an achievement. But, much like Apprentice Mickey, you're going to have to carry water for Music Evolved's strung-out structure before it lets you have any fun.

Digital Spy - 60
It's a game capable of delivering real moments of magic, but is too often marred by inconsistent Kinect controls that can turn those feelings of joy into frustration.

Does Polygon's scale even go above 70?

Good reviews so far that I didn't really expect though. I might have to pick this up at some point. Just wish it was more focused on Fantasia/Disney music.

EagleEyes

Another well reviewed exclusive for Microsoft. That makes 2 this holiday season with 3 more to go( Sunset Overdrive, Halo:MCC and Ori and the Blind Forest).

Another well reviewed exclusive for Microsoft. That makes 2 this holiday season with 3 more to go( Sunset Overdrive, Halo:MCC and Ori and the Blind Forest).

Ori isn't an exclusive though. But either way it's good for MS. Considering how good the first party support for Sony was at the end of last gen it's been very sparse and disappointing so far this gen.

Bgamer90

Banned
Man, I have the demo but I still haven't tried it. Wasn't expecting these good reviews.

Funny how some of the recent kinect games have gotten (slightly) better reviews than some of the highly anticipated "AAA" games for this year.

jesu

Nice one.
I did enjoy the demo and there is a few good on the tracklist I like, and not any I hate think.
Looking forward to getting it on Friday.

Considering how good the first party support for Sony was at the end of last gen it's been very sparse and disappointing so far this gen.

You mean 'because of how good'

Sony's first-party support are cyclical. A weaker year comes after a strong year. 2011 was awesome, 2012 was terrible, 2013 was great, 2014 isn't as bad as 2012, but still weaker than 2013.

The reviews are looking good. Good on Harmonix for supplying two really solid games for Kinect 2 this year. I wonder what their future output will be with the device though since they weren't too happy with Microsoft's decision to unbundle the Kinect. That and they seem to be the only real 3rd party willing to make bigger budget Kinect games.

Another well reviewed exclusive for Microsoft. That makes 2 this holiday season with 3 more to go (Sunset Overdrive, Halo:MCC and Ori and the Blind Forest).

You forgot Totem and Happy Wars coming up :p

Also, this would make the 6th title released so far this holiday season.
  • D4 (78)
  • Dance Central Spotlight (75)
  • Forza Horizon 2 (86)
  • Killer Instinct Season 2/KI Classic 2 (no reviews yet)
  • Project Spark (75)
  • Fantasia (Currently 80)

Ori isn't an exclusive though. But either way it's good for MS. Considering how good the first party support for Sony was at the end of last gen it's been very sparse and disappointing so far this gen.

He said exclusive for Microsoft. He isn't really wrong. Ori is a MS IP anyways, so I think it means more to MS if the Ori IP gets good scores and performs well since they own the property.

Fuchsdh

Since I'm getting a Kinect for the voice controls anyhow, will probably pick this up. Seems like I'll get my enjoyment out of it.

The most interesting metagame for me in these reviews are how people treat the Kinect. For some people, the fact that it works 90% of the time means it's great. For others, 90% means it's imprecise and fiddly and it ruins the enjoyment. I think that's the issue the Kinect has had in a nutshell; amazingly accurate for what it is, not accurate enough to get over the hump of expectations and translate into a seamless experience.

Also, Ars Technica's Review:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/disney-fantasia-music-evolved-review-kinects-swan-songs/

I played the demo last night. It was a great surprise. I hated it when the music cut off after about a minute. :( Will get it when it's on sale.

Alx

Seriously I can't understand why some people are so eager to bury kinect. It's like all they want is for it to fail, and they will get any excuse to push that opinion. Even when a good game releases for it, it's "a swan song"... :/ Sure kinect didn't have the universal reception some expected, but let's give it a chance, shall we ? It's not like people asking for a choice didn't get it in the end...

Good for Harmonix anyway, I loved the demo, and already bought the full game (which I won't be able to play until Friday :( ).

ThatMattZ

Preloaded the Digital Deluxe bundle of the game and downloaded all the DLC tracks this morning before heading out to work. The wait to go home and dig into all the songs is killing me. Today is going looooooong day at work I can tell.

sbrew

Banned
Since I'm getting a Kinect for the voice controls anyhow, will probably pick this up. Seems like I'll get my enjoyment out of it.

The most interesting metagame for me in these reviews are how people treat the Kinect. For some people, the fact that it works 90% of the time means it's great. For others, 90% means it's imprecise and fiddly and it ruins the enjoyment. I think that's the issue the Kinect has had in a nutshell; amazingly accurate for what it is, not accurate enough to get over the hump of expectations and translate into a seamless experience.

Also, Ars Technica's Review:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/disney-fantasia-music-evolved-review-kinects-swan-songs/

That reviewer can suck it.

For me, the Kinect is an addition to the XB1 interface. I use it when my remote control is on the other side of the room to do things to mute the volume. So, I don't give a shit if 10% of the time I have to say "Xbox, Mute" twice. That's still a lot quicker than stopping whatever I'm doing, walking across the room and picking up the remote.

I will say some games handle the Kinect failures more gracefully than others. For instance, Just Dance 2014 and Microsoft Fitness are VERY forgiving. The Harmonix games are a bit more competitive and it's easier to see when the Kinect fails because of this... so, if you don't have your's calibrated just right it will be *extra* frustrating and I can totally see some reviewers slashing scores because of that.

sbrew

Banned
Sure kinect didn't have the universal reception some expected, but let's give it a chance, shall we ?

Oh, I like the Kinect 2.0 and I *AM* giving it a chance, unlike nadless, short-sighted corporate pussies at Microsoft. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Spencer)

Amneisac

That reviewer can suck it.

For me, the Kinect is an addition to the XB1 interface. I use it when my remote control is on the other side of the room to do things to mute the volume. So, I don't give a shit if 10% of the time I have to say "Xbox, Mute" twice. That's still a lot quicker than stopping whatever I'm doing, walking across the room and picking up the remote.

I will say some games handle the Kinect failures more gracefully than others. For instance, Just Dance 2014 and Microsoft Fitness are VERY forgiving. The Harmonix games are a bit more competitive and it's easier to see when the Kinect fails because of this... so, if you don't have your's calibrated just right it will be *extra* frustrating and I can totally see some reviewers slashing scores because of that.

I am certainly not disagreeing with your point of convenience, but if I could get $100 for my Kinect right now (the cheaper sku wasn't an option when I bought my xbox) I would certainly do it. It's not just about either speaking or walking across the room, I'd walk across the room a lot for $100. It just doesn't justify its cost for me.

Dabanton

The demo was actually amazing. So not surprised that it's reviewing rather well.

re: The Kinect I wonder how may reviewers are moving their Kinects and then not recalibrating it. Mine is sitting in front of my TV so it doesn't get moved.

in terms of voice control I actually followed the tips the guy gave in this video gave especially the ambient noise tip and it's pretty amazing. Anyone having trouble with their Kinect hearing them should try it out.

How to Effectively Calibrate Your Xbox One Kinect

Footos22

Quite surprised at the reviews.

Pretty much couldn't stand the demo. spent most of the time being unable to skip tutorials for things you couldn't even do in the actual bits of songs they gave you.

Just not for me i suppose.

I was expecting 8/10, but the 60 review is pretty interesting. Seems the reviewer thinks Kinect ruins the game. Still though, Harmonix alone is not going to convince me to get the Kinect bundle.

Basically from my viewpoint, people have written off the kinect for the Xbox One due to their experiences/perception of the original kinect.
Pretty much that and the fact that it takes up 10% of the Xbox One's resources. Some people rather see the 10% used to up resolution or FPS than use the Kinect. I bought the Kinect and forgot about it since Dance Central was the highlight.

Tamanator

Seriously I can't understand why some people are so eager to bury kinect. It's like all they want is for it to fail, and they will get any excuse to push that opinion. Even when a good game releases for it, it's "a swan song"... :/ Sure kinect didn't have the universal reception some expected, but let's give it a chance, shall we ? It's not like people asking for a choice didn't get it in the end...

Good for Harmonix anyway, I loved the demo, and already bought the full game (which I won't be able to play until Friday :( ).

A lot of people have never touched the new version of kinect. I think Microsoft's biggest folly was releasing the tech when it was half baked and wasn't at its full potential. Sure it sold well to begin with, but it won few fans in the mean time. Internet videos of the like then created the perception that the kinect was imprecise and a worthless 'gimmick', similar to how youtube videos savaged Wii Music when people tried to play it like guitar hero. Basically from my viewpoint, people have written off the kinect for the Xbox One due to their experiences/perception of the original kinect.

Alx

Pretty much couldn't stand the demo. spent most of the time being unable to skip tutorials for things you couldn't even do in the actual bits of songs they gave you.

You can go straight to "song library" or something like that in the main menu, instead of "start demo". That will let you play the songs without going through the tutorials. All the moves presented in the tutorial are used in the songs btw, only you get to practice them one by one at first.

A lot of people have never touched the new version of kinect. I think Microsoft's biggest folly was releasing the tech when it was half baked and wasn't at its full potential. Sure it sold well to begin with, but it won few fans in the mean time. Internet videos of the like then created the perception that the kinect was imprecise and a worthless 'gimmick', similar to how youtube videos savaged Wii Music when people tried to play it like guitar hero. Basically from my viewpoint, people have written off the kinect for the Xbox One due to their experiences/perception of the original kinect.

But that's how tech works, there wouldn't be a kinect 2 if there had not been a kinect 1. And I sometimes wonder if many people didn't get a wrong image of kinect and its accuracy to begin with. Either they couldn't set it up correctly (although the procedure is surprisingly simple), or they're just bad at motion games (it's amazing how a simple dancing game can feel completely natural to some people and "unplayable" to others).
I think the main issue is it is offering something different, and is being judged by a crowd that spent years exclusively polishing the skill of moving their thumbs and forefingers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I loved the demo. I'll probably wait for a price drop, though. I have a feeling it will come very soon.

I don't think the demo did a very good job if showing off the game personally... I tried playing through the demo twice and we'll I enjoyed it it didn't quite sell me on it...

I think the reason is that it runs you through this long tutorial and then let's you play the song and cuts you off at the halfway point of the song.

They would have been better off just doing a quick tutorial and then letting people play bald mountain because playing that song really blew me away and highlighted why this game is special.

I'm sad that a lot of Xbox One owners wont get to play this because they didn't purchase a Kinect. I'm also sad that we probably wont see other games of this caliber because MS isn't making the Kinect mandatory.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm sad that a lot of Xbox One owners wont get to play this because they didn't purchase a Kinect. I'm also sad that we probably wont see other games of this caliber because MS isn't making the Kinect mandatory.

Well the majority of Xbox One owners should have a kinect as of right now. That may not be true sometime in 2015 though.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Pretty good reviews, really happy for Harmonix :D I hope the game does well for them.

Top Bottom