• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity: Age breakdown, 45% female, boys play w/ girl heroes, char popularity

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This article is a bit old, but I found it while looking at the Amiibo thread and thought it had some interesting stats that never got a thread.

There's a lot more at the link.

Variety said:
Of course, Disney was confident it would score with “Infinity.” It wouldn’t have invested considerable coin to produce the property if it hadn’t. It also had the success of Activision’s “Skylanders” franchise for support.

But after generating more than $500 million from the sale of more than 3 million starter packs, priced at $75, since “Infinity’s” launch nearly a year ago, Disney Interactive has had time to reflect on what’s made the game popular and with whom. The results have proved surprising even for its own executives.

“We thought it would do well, but no one expected it to do as well as it has,” said John Vignocchi, executive producer of “Disney Infinity” from Comic-Con.

– 45% of “Infinity’s” players are female, higher than the 30% Disney had initially anticipated. For “Skylanders,” that number is closer to 20%.

– Just as many teens and so-called “midnight moms,” parents who play the game after their kids go to sleep, are actively playing “Infinity” as Disney’s target audience of 6-12-year-olds.

– There’s a large percentage of people who buy the characters to collect.

– Boys aren’t showing signs of veering way from the girl characters in the game. In fact, “The Incredibles'” Violet and Mrs. Incredible have provided popular because of their super hero powers. Disney expects “The Avengers'” Black Widow to have the same appeal.

“At first we were told we have to be careful with Rapunzel joining all of the male characters, but we’ve made the female characters so powerful,” Vignocchi said. “Boys don’t mind playing with girl characters.”

– To date, Sorcerer Mickey Mouse (from “Fantasia”), “Frozen’s” Anna and Elsa, and “The Incredibles'” Dash have been the biggest sellers, while Spider-Man’s villain Venom is seeing a significant boost this year. The enhance powers of the characters have helped boost sales.

Even Venom’s popularity caught Disney off guard, given that he’s not currently featured in Sony’s Spider-Man franchise.
Source: http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...by-the-success-of-disney-infinity-1201268283/

Santiako

Not surprised that the Frozen girls are among the top sellers, every girl 3 to 16 seems to be obssesed with that movie.

“At first we were told we have to be careful with Rapunzel joining all of the male characters, but we’ve made the female characters so powerful,” Vignocchi said. “Boys don’t mind playing with girl characters.”

I have a friend who's working on it and this is the truth. He says Jasmine is just ridiculously overpowered, hehehehe.

Does Disney release regular balance patches for the characters, like Blizzard does with classes in Diablo or WoW? Would be an insidious way to drive sales of the toys. That one you bought last week? He's weak now...but that figure that was our worst seller? Patched to be top tier until sales pick up.

Omega

Banned
Boys aren’t showing signs of veering way from the girl characters in the game. In fact, “The Incredibles'” Violet and Mrs. Incredible have provided popular because of their super hero powers. Disney expects “The Avengers'” Black Widow to have the same appeal.

who would've thought people would rather play characters that are fun instead of characters that are the same sex as them

who would've thought people would rather play characters that are fun instead of characters that are the same sex as them

George-Costanza-clapping.gif

Interesting stuff

Especially the bit about boys playing with girl characters. The industry needs to take note of this.

Hell Disney needs to take note of this. Tangled and Frozen are called that because Disney was afraid they'd be perceived by boys as "girls' movies" if they went by their original titles (Rapunzel and The Snow Queen).

Sandfox

How is Venom still popular? I've pretty much followed everything Spider-Man for the last 7 years and I don't get that.

NotLiquid

– Boys aren’t showing signs of veering way from the girl characters in the game. In fact, “The Incredibles'” Violet and Mrs. Incredible have provided popular because of their super hero powers. Disney expects “The Avengers'” Black Widow to have the same appeal.

Violet was my favorite Incredible as a kid so this makes me kind of happy in a nostalgic way.

I should try getting into Infinity some time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How is Venom still popular? I've pretty much followed everything Spider-Man for the last 7 years and I don't get that.

This is Disney's guess:

But sales are being credited to the design of the character and his abilities in the game.

“We hulked him out a bit,” Vignoccchi said. In fact, the character is the only one that comes close to the Incredible Hulk in the game (designers wanted another brute to offer) and when fully powered up, stands on equal footing with the green beast.

NotLiquid

His status as "evil Spider-Man" isn't lost on anyone and his design is still iconic. Shit like that still draws in an audience. Look at the Sonic base and how many people still love Shadow the Hedgehog.

Deft Beck

This is really interesting. I bet we'll see some different DI content and toys come out in 2015 based on this data.

Oersted

Just as many teens and so-called “midnight moms,” parents who play the game after their kids go to sleep, are actively playing “Infinity” as Disney’s target audience of 6-12-year-olds.

The "Pokemon/CoD target/actual audience" pic needs an update

I was always under the impression that Venom is by far the most popular Marvel villain for the kids. The old style Venom at least. Design is cool.

JC Lately

I’d buy the Wii U version right now if it worked with the gamepad’s built-in NFC. Fuck cluttering up my entertainment center with a shitty plastic base.

Oh well. More money for Amiibo’s I guess.

Penguin

Surprised Dash is one of the more popular characters.

I like him and love the Incredibles, but surprised... but guess no other speedsters?

DooD1234

I know Disney Infinity is free with Wii U recently, do I need some kind of portal thingy like Skylanders or can I use the Wii U game pad like amiibos? Kind of want some of the figures.

jwk94

I'm still surprised that there wasn't a Frozen play set. The whole "toybox only" model needs to be thrown out for the next game.

Wonko_C

I still thought we were in the era where boys are like: "Girls!? Eww, cooties, gross!", and afraid of getting near anything "girly". The thing started by Barbie and macho insecurity. Hell I never picked girl characters in fighting games (yep, I missed on all that Chun-Li and Mai Shiranui goodness because they were females) when I was a kid, LOL.

I'm still surprised that there wasn't a Frozen play set. The whole "toybox only" model needs to be thrown out for the next game.

I get a strong feeling that next go-round they'll do a real Frozen playset. Especially if they make a sequel

kirblar

I still thought we were in the era where boys are like: "Girls!? Eww, cooties, gross!", and afraid of getting near anything "girly". The thing started by Barbie and macho insecurity. Hell I never picked girl characters in fighting games (yep, I missed on all that Chun-Li and Mai Shiranui goodness because they were females) when I was a kid, LOL.
You didn't play Peach in SMB2? :p

RE_Player

Not surprised Venom is seeing the strongest figure pre-orders amongst the Marvel group. Marvel fans have been going nuts about anything symbiote since the 90's.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This is great

Top Bottom