• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity native resolutions detailed on all consoles (Wii U, PS360, PS4/XBO)

https://twitter.com/naterobins/status/511965957657358336

The lead programmer answered my question of the game's native resolutions in surprising detail, the only question is is he solely describing 2.0 or does the Wii U and PS360 revolutions remain the same between 1.0 and 2.0?

Wii U:1138x600
PS360: 1280x672
PS4/XBO: 1080p

Going to assume Wii 1.0 was 640x480.

At least if true for 1.0, explains why Wii U seems blurrier than you'd expect.

Chobel

I thought Wii U is more powerful than PS360, so why does it have lower resolution than PS360 (20% less)?

Eh disappointing to see Wii U's but not too surprising I guess. 360 and PS3 should have very developer friendly tools at this point in time

Isn't this the wrong use of the word "native"? it implies that it it running at the max res on all platforms. A better title would be one that doesn't have that word.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I thought Wii U is more powerful than PS360, so why does it have lower resolution than PS360 (20% less)?

Lack of optimization for the games in many cases, but also in many cases, Wii U isn't more powerful than 360 and PS3 across the board which is why the games need retooling. Its stronger in some ways and weaker in others. weaker CPU especially compared to Cell, the GPU is strangled by lack of bandwidth unless EDRAM is used constantly in games by default, and the mandatory vsync technology Nintendo has install obviously brings down performance...ram is twice as much but half is locked off the OS, meaning just about double 360 and PS3 is accessible ect

Ridley327

Isn't this the wrong use of the word "native"? it implies that it it running at the max res on all platforms. A better title would be one that doesn't have that word.

I wouldn't say the term is being misused here, as a game's native resolution is different from the native resolution that a console or handheld outputs at.

Great to hear that current gen version are running at 1080p. But, man, I min the bubble with this game. It's a pretty big investment up front, but could be worth it as my daughter starts understand how to play games. She's 2&1/2 right now and has to hold the second controller when she (rarely) sees me playing a game.

Almost every port is worse on Wiiu, i'm not sure if it's less powerful, i would say it's about on par with 360/ps3, its just developers probably don't think its worth the effort to match those consoles or the console has a serious bottleneck with the CPU but it's clearly lacking it any real advantages since it can't even keep with 360/ps3 on most ports.

Mory Dunz

Lack of optimization presumably. Not really cost effective when the Wii U version was the lowest selling version

Was it? I thought it did better than X1/PS4 in the NPD at least.

It'll be the lowest selling this time around though.
Actually, it might kind of close to the X1's. Who knows.

Chobel

Lack of optimization presumably. Not really cost effective when the Wii U version was the lowest selling version

because it's not worth the effort

Wii U can get superior results to the PS360 only with substantial effort, which sales do not justify.

Lack of optimization for the games in many cases, but also in many cases, Wii U isn't more powerful than 360 and PS3 across the board which is why the games need retooling. Its stronger in some ways and weaker in others. weaker CPU especially compared to Cell, the GPU is strangled by lack of bandwidth unless EDRAM is used constantly in games by default, and the mandatory vsync technology Nintendo has install obviously brings down performance...ram is twice as much but half is locked off the OS, meaning just about double 360 and PS3 is accessible ect

Almost every port is worse on Wiiu, i'm not sure if it's less powerful, i would say it's about on par with 360/ps3, its just developers probably don't think its worth the effort to match those consoles or the console has a serious bottleneck with the CPU but it's clearly lacking it any real advantages since it can't even keep with 360/ps3 on most ports.

Damn! Wii U is really in tough situation.

Anyway thanks for the answers.

The team behind the Wii U version of the game is not known for their graphical prowess. They were the same developers behind the subpar version of Epic Mickey 2 on the Wii U.

It's definitely far more capable than the PS3. But there isn't a lot of priority to make it look fantastic.

Ludist210

Disappointing, but I'm still buying it for Wii U (and theb downloading it on PS3 as well). It'll still look good enough.

Or it could just be really mediocre i comarison to PS360. Optimization between platforms is about the CPU in these consoles, which really would not have much to do with its resolution.

Pikma

Banned

Yeah, if we talk about features, because graphic-wise there's a lot of games that are better on it.

Top Bottom