• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Magical World 2 |OT| Do you want to build a café? There's also ghosts to slay!

7FJ90L8.jpg

OLGbb1t.jpg

Title: Disney Magical World 2
Platform: Nintendo 3DS/2DS
Release Date: 10-14-2016 (US/EU), 10-15-2016 (AU)
Genre: Sim/Action RPG/”Nice!” Collector
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
Player(s): 1, has Streetpass Functionality
ESRB: E (Everyone 10+)
Price: 3DS Physical/eShop: $39.99 (Digital Blocks 7267)
Disney Magical World 2 Site

Features:

Create your Avatar (male or female) and Explore the Hub World of Castleton!
Commission furniture from Chip and Dale, create new fashion items with Daisy, learn to fish with Donald, buy items from McDuck's, and unlock more activities as you progress though the game and collect stickers for your album.
132Efgl.jpg
M0qtvSV.jpg
G0DSIzY.jpg
zqOQmp0.jpg
450tTPU.jpg
5sMmgyP.jpg
yuIQzZu.jpg
9y0OgBA.jpg

Explore new worlds!
Help characters with quests in 6 different themed worlds. There are 4 new worlds and 2 returning worlds.

W129mkI.jpg

Frozen
Build a snowman and go on combat quests to help Elsa, Anna, and Olaf!

9PdvuNQ.jpg

The Little Mermaid
Swim and dance with Ariel and friends while questing to help Ariel!

GBYlSUT.jpg

Lilo & Stitch
Go surfing and on combat quests to help Lilo and friends!

OAgrdnY.png

Alice in Wonderland
Host all the tea parties while going on combat quests to help Alice!

Z4XZEwj.jpg

Snow White
Mine for gems with the Seven Dwarves!

yr50LF8.jpg

Winnie the Pooh
Grow plants in Rabbit’s Garden!

1Sl5HSE.jpg
GgRh0cs.jpg

Create your own theme café!
You can customize the café with furniture you create (with the help of Chip and Dale) as well as the clothes your employees will wear. Throw parties using a particular theme and certain characters may stop by to take photos with you! New features include Dance Floor Shows with up to 4 Disney characters. The café and parties are your main source of cash.

L7DU9ay.png
8w9JBDf.jpg

Fight off monsters in ARPG combat!
Sometimes you may be tasked with going into a dungeon and fighting monsters using your wand, provided to you by Yen Sid. You can collect unique materials inside dungeons while also completing quests for characters. Most dungeons have a themed boss to defeat at the end.

iqhn2eq.jpg

Decorate your house!
New to Disney Magical World 2, players now have a separate house to decorate (in addition to the café). You can customize your wallpaper, flooring, bed, furniture, etc., as well as the exterior of the house once you progress further in the game.

j2AXRpA.jpg
vhnNK2i.jpg

Collect Puzzle Pieces for Dream Fantasy Parade shows!
New to Disney Magical World 2, players can now collect puzzle pieces and frames to complete. The first time you take a picture with a Disney character you’ll receive a puzzle piece or frame from them. Place the frames and puzzle pieces in the Dream Fantasy puzzle book in your house, and once complete, you can view the show and interact with characters.

Other activities available throughout the game:
- Take pictures with various Disney Characters
- Change your outfit often to earn “Nice!” points from characters to spend at the fortune teller in Castle Town
- Getting the player character's hair done at Minnie's Beauty Salon
- Ballroom dancing rhythm game
- Play tag with characters
- Go fishing and impress Donald Duck
- Dance the hula with Lilo and Stitch
- Attend an undersea concert with Ariel
- And many more!

Participate in seasonal events to earn unique items:
Halloween--September 9th through October 31st
Christmas--November 9th through December 25th
Winter--Mid December through the end of February
New Year's--January 1st through January 5th
Valentine's Day--February 1st through February 14th
Easter--April 1st through June 23rd
Summer--Beginning of June through the end of August
Player's Birthday--Day of the Player's birthday set in the options

Online Functionality
StreetPass up to five people at a time!
In doing so, you’ll get a StreetPass medal and a seasonal medal (during events that have them) per player that you StreetPass. You can then trade the StreetPass medals and seasonal medals for special Furniture and Clothing/Accessory items at Scrooge's Store.

DLC
Unlike the first game, this game currently has no paid DLC. However, there are QR codes that will likely be posted to the Disney Magical World 2 site, and they unlock seasonal items and specialty casual clothes.

Pre-Order/"Day One" Bonuses
Z3IoZR0.jpg

If you digitally pre-order or buy a physical copy, you will receive a code to download three free Frozen-inspired costumes. If you order digitally, your code will be on your eShop receipt. If you ordered from Amazon, Gamestop, etc....it might be on your receipt? For more details, head to this link: Disney Magical World 2: Pre-Order Bonus

Videos:
Activities Trailer
Customization Trailer
Play! Nintendo Preview

Reviews:
Metacritic - Currently at 78
Nintendo Life - 8/10
Cubed3 - 8/10
God Is A Geek - 8/10
Nintendo World Report - 7.5/10

So I have to preorder for the feee costumes or is it a Day One Edition type thing?

That's been kinda tough to find info for. I'm under the impression it's not just for pre-order, but it's more of a "Day One" edition type thing. I'll change the wording in the OT.

If you order digitally, your code will be on your eShop receipt. If you ordered from Amazon, Gamestop, etc....it might be on your receipt? I can't tell if it will be on the receipt or in the game box.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gotcha. I'll probably just pre-load it tonight anyways. Going to Disney next Thursday, so this will be the perfect plane game!

In the various video I saw, the FPS was terrible, awaiting impressions before jumping.

It wasn't particularly good in the first game, so I don't think it will have improved much for this game, but there's so much to do I'm rarely bothered by the occasional slowdown.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm probably not gonna nab this at launch but it'll definitely be one of my picks once the "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sales start rolling in next month.

I enjoyed the first game but the RNG nature of collecting materials meant the game grinded to a halt midway through. Want to complete theme combos? Hope you don't mind playing through this forest level a dozen times to get that one ingredient you need!

pariah164

Not getting this on launch, but it's definitely on my list for the future. I'm STILL unlocking things in the first one.

Robin64

First one took soooo long to come out here in Europe (6 months after America, 14 months after Japan) that the second one got announced before we even got the first. So I skipped the first entirely to just wait for this one, then forgot about it entirely. But here we are! Looks adorable, will check it out for sure.

Velcro Fly

I actually got the game yesterday (Best Buy for some reason shipped super early) and played most of the intro stuff. I did not play the first game so I cannot compare it to that. It seemed pretty fun so far. The frame rate was a little rough but I don't feel like it detracts from the game too much.

etrain911

The first one also has frame rate issues so I'm not shocked. It was really fun for what it was- a Disney colored animal crossing. My one problem was the sticker system as a form of progression. Basically, progression in the series is tied to achievements rather than mission completion or an exp system. Some things take forever to unlock as a result. This game only has two returning worlds from the previous one, so it is well worth the money to try the first one if you're at all curious. It sounds to me like they didn't make many improvements over it, but also didn't make any mistakes over it. I should also add the first one has an extra world (Pirates of the Carribean) as paid DLC. I found it to be great fun and I'm pretty excited for the sequel, all things considered.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Installed and got my freebies this morning. Going to try it out today over lunch. Really excited - game is so adorable and relaxing. And man, if you like collectibles...I'm just sad that the exclusive timed DLC from the first game can't be downloaded anymore.

I put over 120 hours into the first one, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting this in the mail today. I didn't know that you get a house in this one either, I'm super excited to decorate it!

Edit: Anyone having any luck with the QR/AR codes? I went on the JP website and downloaded all the pictures but they're not working on my end. Wondering if anyone has found a way around this, or if they have had any luck?

The first one also has frame rate issues so I'm not shocked. It was really fun for what it was- a Disney colored animal crossing. My one problem was the sticker system as a form of progression. Basically, progression in the series is tied to achievements rather than mission completion or an exp system. Some things take forever to unlock as a result. This game only has two returning worlds from the previous one, so it is well worth the money to try the first one if you're at all curious. It sounds to me like they didn't make many improvements over it, but also didn't make any mistakes over it. I should also add the first one has an extra world (Pirates of the Carribean) as paid DLC. I found it to be great fun and I'm pretty excited for the sequel, all things considered.

Hrm, is it? I couldn't get into New Leaf so that dampens my interest a bit. I thought it was maybe more like Harvest Moon or something, with the dungeons and all. Or is that Rune Factory? Nevermind I give up.

Last edited:

etrain911

Hrm, is it? I couldn't get into New Leaf so that dampens my interest a bit. I thought it was maybe more like Harvest Moon or something, with the dungeons and all. Or is that Rune Factory? Nevermind I give up.

I think my 8 year old would dig it, but she hardly ever plays on her 3DS in lieu of the iphone. Will keep an eye on it.

There are farming and ghost slaying elements, but they are very simplistic and probably would not challenge an adult. I am honestly pretty surprised that no major outlets have touched it yet. There aren't really any major non-VR releases out yet. I was hoping to hear perspectives from people who have played the first one.

My copy arrived today, can't wait to play it!

I really enjoyed the first one! It's simple, yet there's so much stuff in store! I have collected 70-something stickers out of 100, and I plan to collect the rest someday. A lot to collect, unlock, create, defeat, etc.

I'm glad there's a sequel.

Robin64

WVW69jtuvBUBV-Wdxb

I know it's expected now, but I was happy to see I could pick this outfit at the start even as a male. Thought Disney might "play it safe", being Disney, but nope, no gender locking here. :)

wildbite

I'm really looking forward to this. My copy got delayed in the mail so it gives me a day to play the first one again. I never finished it despite being so excited for it to come out.

I loved The Little Mermaid and Peter Pan worlds in the original Kingdom hearts. I'm glad these worlds are in this sequel and excited to see how they play out.

Velcro Fly

Just had my first party in my cafe. It was Tangled themed and it was a success. I have put about 6 hours into the game since Wednesday and it is really fun. It is one of those games that does a tremendous job of keeping you playing. There always seems like there is something else I can go do or some other item I can go craft.

Linkura

Just started playing this. I really enjoyed the first game and got all the stickers. Hopefully this one is just as good and addicting.

I surprised my wife with this after a bad day at work for her. She was very happy, and loved the first one. I didn't seem to get any code for the Frozen stuff on my receipt, does anyone know if the QR code in the OT works?

Not sure, but I do know the Japanese QR codes themselves do NOT work on the NA version.
Yeah, neither do the AR cards. This bums me out because a lot of those items are very cute. I hope they don't do Nintendo Zone distribution again because there pretty much are none anymore from my experience.

Robin64

The AR Cards on Nintendo UK's site work, at least for my European version.

There's a gallery on this page of a few cards.

Edit: Because the 3DS camera is a piece of crap, your monitor may be blinding it and the 3DS won't see the cards too well. In that case, your best bet is to print them out. The cards themselves are fine, but if it reads one wrong it may just see it as another card you already scanned, but with an upside-down door or something, in which case Tinkerbell will just give a dupe item.

Edit2: Lowering the brightness of my monitor seems to have helped.

The AR Cards on Nintendo UK's site work, at least for my European version.

There's a gallery on this page of a few cards.

Edit: Because the 3DS camera is a piece of crap, your monitor may be blinding it and the 3DS won't see the cards too well. In that case, your best bet is to print them out. The cards themselves are fine, but if it reads one wrong it may just see it as another card you already scanned, but with an upside-down door or something, in which case Tinkerbell will just give a dupe item.

Edit2: Lowering the brightness of my monitor seems to have helped.
These work for me, however the Japanese ones still do not. Thank you though! :)

Robin64

The UK site has a card missing that Japan had, which gets you "Maple (Shiny Star)". AENIGMA01 was able to alter the colours and stuff to make it work in the EU/US version.

rKt16pE.png

This coming out on top of DQVII and DQ: Builders has wrecked my life.

I played all night without sleeping, finally conked out, up again in three hours to grab Internet guests and shop restock. Framerate is sluggish, feels a bit worse than the first, and there's a lot of loading and it takes forever. Saving is lightning fast, and the game is a more than worthy successor to the first one overall. The bonus for having saved data from the first game is pretty awesome as well. I didn't fully finish DMW1 as some Stickers ended up being peevishly impossible for me, but I ended up with a 50,000 coin voucher and a Golden Mickey Balloon when I started playing DMW2.

Japanese AR Cards and QR Codes aren't supposed to work for NA/EU this time, which is dumber than dirt. Region locking games is bad enough, much less region locking the bonus content that's supposed to be free anyway. The preorder code did go off without a hitch, but it is so weird that they do all this gated "on cart" DLC type stuff for what may be the most niche game series on the 3DS that still gets physical releases.

I'll have to check and see if the EU AR Cards work on the NA game, because the website for NA has zero cards last I checked.

Linkura

You guys are awesome for posting the EU cards. Thank you so much!

This game is like Disney crack, just like the first one. I agree that the loading times and frame rate are bad, but you get used to them, or at least I have. The only other issue is that the intro is pretty long and boring if you played the first. But once you get out of it, it's awesome, just like the first.

I just got back from Disney World a few weeks ago and this is making me wish I was back. They nailed it with the castle and the fireworks at night. Plus, they have Halloween decorations that are pretty close to what they do for the Magic Kingdom. I read on Gamefaqs that the holidays coincide with Tokyo Disneyland's schedule, which is a neat touch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally about done with the intro stuff. Just like the first game, it takes a while. But it's fun. And having that Magical World 1 save means I had 50000 coins to spend on adorable outfits right out the gate. Love it.

The frame rate isn't great and the load times are annoying, but man is the game just so much fun. Also, the quality of life changes they've made from the first one are absolutely incredible and super helpful. I really hope they do new world DLC with this one.

E: Oh my gosh the Mainstreet Electrical Parade music plays in the dream section! Amaaaaaaazing.

Are "Cards" in this game? There's a line in the OP about it, but I'm 71 Stickers deep and I've yet to run into any. Did Puzzles take the place of Cards?

Got all the AR Card Bear stuff thanks to the EU site & Robin's post above. It is nice that the bubbles fill out with the items. An interesting visual checklist of sorts. Had to fiddle a bit with brightness and distance getting all of them to scan properly, but that's to be expected.

Snow White spoilers:
My Dwarf Name is
Fancy. ;)

If anyone has a link to a great surfing tutorial, I'd be much obliged. Video preferred.

Are "Cards" in this game? There's a line in the OP about it, but I'm 71 Stickers deep and I've yet to run into any. Did Puzzles take the place of Cards?

It looks like the cards are out unfortunately, so I removed it from the OT. Also got rid of the Japanese QR codes since those don't seem to work in the US/EU versions.

Linkura

E: Oh my gosh the Mainstreet Electrical Parade music plays in the dream section! Amaaaaaaazing.

And of course they're getting rid of the parade soon. :( The party dance music sounds familiar too.

At 56 stickers now and still have tons to do. Haven't even touched Frozen yet, this is just with Lilo and Stitch and Pooh. I like how they give you a ton of money so you can buy pretty much everything on sale, and the shops rotate stock 4 times a day.

I've put about 5 hours into it, after spending about 35 in the original. Some quick thoughts:

PRO:
- You can decorate youre house now!
- Everything seems to run smoother. Characters have more animation, looking for ingrediants is more user friendly, organizing recipes by themes as well as type, dungeons seems less frustrating (Though that could change) and fishing has been improved too.
- Love the expanded Castle Town
- All the music and dancing is nice.
- The game just generally seems like it got a much, much bigger budget than the first one did and it's happy to show that fact off. I don't feel like I'm just grinding towards the next sticker (Though I'm also fairly early in the game).

CON:
- Ugh, I hate the tutorial. The first game did it too. I wish there was a 'I've played this before' option to skip it. It's too long and too wordy.
- I miss the trading cards. Yeah, the puzzles feel like they'll unlock more, but the cards were addictive.
- The charged shot being an AOE attack keeps throwing me off.
- It seems like there's less stickers this time around?

I'm looking forward to spending more time with it. BTW, anyone know how long until I unlock the Frozen world? I couldn't seem to find an answer online.

Velcro Fly

I am like hopelessly addicted to this game.

Trying to figure out the best way to get the most out of the game.

I think my best bet is to forge on ahead with episodes so that I have access to being able to farm items and then work my way around crafting and buying things.

Is there any surefire way to have access to seeds? Like a shop or something? Probably just drops during episodes I'm guessing for most of them.

Is there any surefire way to have access to seeds? Like a shop or something? Probably just drops during episodes I'm guessing for most of them.
The Shop (McDuck's) restocks at Midnight, 6am, Noon & 6pm and sometimes stocks Seeds along the back counter. You'll also find them through fishing, gardening, gathering from sparkling spots, Favors, and Event Boards. There are some quests that give you ridiculous amounts of Seeds for doing almost nothing (Hula, Dusting for Dwarves) and others that drop in dungeons.

In the 1st game, they seemed to stock Seeds more often. There were two shops though and they only reset at Midnight & Noon, if I recall correctly. You could also repeatedly get some of them through AR Card functionality in the first game? (Uncertain as it has been a while. Wikia confirms that repeat scans gave Seeds.)

I really need to read up on the Gardening. It seems to have heavily been nerfed in the sequel. Everything takes less time to grow, but for most crops, going after certain quests and gathering has been way more productive than going through with the whole system. It is useful for getting the Gardening-related Stickers. Big shrug on every other front. No mutations or anything so far. Hunny is way more of a pain as well, it doesn't seem to spawn at all unless you're completely inactive/in Sleep Mode. That's the only thing I haven't found a workaround for yet. There is a Big Turnip sticker though...

Just started Wonderland. 79 Stickers. Time to hopefully not fail at sleeping for the third day in a row.

Edit: Just read up on Gardening, seems like I'm one sticker away from it getting interesting again.

Meyneth

I just got the game (the first one was unnecessarily good) and I got halfway through the start tutorial. I totally forgot how long this thing was..

When are you able to change the camera angle?
I don't rememebr when they start letting you do that in the first game.

I just got the game (the first one was unnecessarily good) and I got halfway through the start tutorial. I totally forgot how long this thing was..

When are you able to change the camera angle?
I don't rememebr when they start letting you do that in the first game.

All I've found is that you can press Y to zoom in, but that's it. The camera is way too zoomed in for my liking.

Damn, I bought my girlfriend this and she is in love, I've barely heard a peep out of her since Thursday haha. She liked it so much, she decided to brave the waters of youtube, which I think it's pretty cute haha, she does cross stitch videos, but never a video game so she must really love it. It's her first attempt at something like that, but if anyone's interested in it or just in the thread looking for gameplay to see if it's their thing, here you go : click.

Also, can you still visit people's cafes online? I think she was struggling figuring that out.

Top Bottom