• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney now owns 100% of Hulu

bitbydeath

As a result, Comcast has agreed to sell its 33% Hulu equity stake to Disney for at least $5.8 billion within five years.

Under the deal, Comcast’s NBCUniversal will continue to license content to Hulu through late 2024. However, as early as next year, NBCUniversal will also have the right to pull back programming previously licensed exclusively to Hulu (but can continue to make it available to Hulu on a nonexclusive basis).

By 2022, NBCUniversal will have the right to cancel most of its content-licensing agreements with Hulu. The deal comes as NBCU is planning to launch a free, ad-supported streaming service next year and network ad boss Linda Yaccarino made it clear at the upfronts this week that the network’s most beloved titles are “coming home” to the new platform.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said in a statement about the deal: “We are now able to completely integrate Hulu into our direct-to-consumer business and leverage the full power of The Walt Disney Company’s brands and creative engines to make the service even more compelling and a greater value for consumers.”

Boss Mog

I guess that means they're not going to launch their own streaming service, and just use Hulu instead? Makes a lot of sense.

HoodWinked

Hulu and disney plus are such stupid brand names to build you platform on.

Comcast is kind of smart to sell thier stake in hulu seems like such a failure. And they can just put their universal nbc crap on whatever Xfinity shit they have.

bitbydeath

Hulu and disney plus are such stupid brand names to build you platform on.

Comcast is kind of smart to sell thier stake in hulu seems like such a failure. And they can just put their universal nbc crap on whatever Xfinity shit they have.

Agreed, maybe they will rebrand it now.
Disney++

Super Mario

Banned
The amount of media that Disney owns (or at least has huge holdings in) is crazy. ESPN, ABC, Marvel, Lucasfilms, History, etc etc. When people think of them launching their own streaming service, they think of traditional netflix style plans. Disney can run an entire cable platform.

I don't see this ending well for Netflix.

Super Mario

Banned
So does mean now there is really really no chance of the Netflix marvel series continuing?

No matter what anyone says, I don't buy that all of those are canceled. They may never see the light of day on Netflix again, that I believe. If Disney is serious about getting into the streaming business, they need that kind of content. Marvel, original content, and long-running TV shows? That is the kind of compelling content (among other things) that will get people to subscribe

Mihos

Gold Member
No matter what anyone says, I don't buy that all of those are canceled. They may never see the light of day on Netflix again, that I believe. If Disney is serious about getting into the streaming business, they need that kind of content. Marvel, original content, and long-running TV shows? That is the kind of compelling content (among other things) that will get people to subscribe

There is something like a 2 year cooling off period before they can do anything with them. and Jessica Jones 3 is still coming out this year.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Disney NBC Comcast basically operating like gangsters at this point, monopolizing a market and carving it up between them

can we get a plan with no commmercials Disney? not that partial stuff either..

basic plan will play commercials for Disney product in between your Disney products. but im sure they will be glad to take more of your money to show you slightly lower numbers of commercials for Disney products while you pay to watch Disney products

Last edited:
Top Bottom