• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Parks Executive Removed as Star Wars Expansions Continue to Underwhelm

MilkyJoe

the Ewok movies are actually good compared to the new ones! i wish they were pumping out Ewok movie quality film.s the one with the witch and all that, that's actually new stuff, not just Jedi/Rebels/Empire all over again.

the problem is their standards are so low that even an 80s Ewok made for tv spinoff movie is more original.

The truth is they are making movies for woke people, and woke people are thick as fuck, so they have to make the same movies otherwise the sheeple have no idea what is going on.

Just kidding, the woke people never saw the OT and barely any of them saw the ST. Woke is a facade to fit in

ManaByte

Gold Member
I can't believe they got rid of the planned robots roaming around.

All the videos I've seen it looks sterile, empty and fake.

The attention to detail in it is actually real impressive. There’s cheap ass merch they sell in other parts of the park that they sell there and it’s completely themed to the area. Walking around it is impressive with what they did.

But they scared people off by doing the reservation thing at opening, which made people think it’d be too crowded. Then they raised the prices of APs and blocked out a lot of them during the opening months.

So overall the park attendance is down because people just aren’t going. I went last week and it was actually nice not to be completely packed and herded like cattle like it was a year ago. I hope it stays this way actually.

NickFire

There's nothing wrong with Galaxy's Edge, I was there in June when you had to have reservations or stay at the hotel and the theming is unbelievable. Star Wars fans will love it, the issue is the cost of admission. I believe they have gotten to the point that their pricing has affected attendance.

vrnXWKW.png

Only having one of the attractions open is also a problem.
Yeah, that's a really good point about the cost. Especially when you have been to Disney after a new ride opens. You get there, pay a fortune to get in, and then wait in line for hours unless you were lucky enough to get a fastpass before they were all booked for the new ride. Which may occur long before the day you get there as of my last visit.

These days, you could probably have a better “Star Wars” experience by going to a Con. The passion seems more real and less of a Capitalist Slimy feeling to it all.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
you kind of have to wonder if the decision to build the new theme park around the Millenium Falcon came before or after they decided to bring the ship back and give it to Rey. these parks take years to complete, I wouldn't be surprised if they were like "JJ, we need you to write TFA, do whatever you want just make sure the Falcon is the main ship cos we have a theme park coming out in 3 years"

ManaByte

Gold Member
you kind of have to wonder if the decision to build the new theme park around the Millenium Falcon came before or after they decided to bring the ship back and give it to Rey. these parks take years to complete, I wouldn't be surprised if they were like "JJ, we need you to write TFA, do whatever you want just make sure the Falcon is the main ship cos we have a theme park coming out in 3 years"

Even if the Falcon wasn't in the movies they still would've used it in the park. It's basically the "castle" centerpiece of the land,

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Even if the Falcon wasn't in the movies they still would've used it in the park. It's basically the "castle" centerpiece of the land,
why do you think they would have used it anyways? they did not use Tatooine or Cloud City or any other known and far more popular OT locations. apparently no OT aliens or characters are walking around that aren't in ST. it's kind of confusing.

i went to Disneyland when i was a kid. Star Tours was a blast, but it had a lot of OT charm, that giant AT-AT certainly left an impact on me. it was a lot cheaper then, nowadays for a family of 4, it costs ~$1,000 per day just getting into and out of the park. not even counting food, water, merchandise, etc. it is even more if you want to do any of the "fun experiences" like paying to assemble your own toys. (you got to hand it to them, charging people to assemble their own lightsaber is a kind of brilliant ironic capitalist innovation). this take performative consumerism to a new extreme. maybe they can have an intergalactic sweat shop where you LARP a textile laborer and you sew your own $400 costume in a $40/hr experience?

u can't blame a company for targeting whales. they have killed off the strong EU/OT fanbase which had great long tail sales that fueled the PT, without which the whole $4 billion dollar franchise might have been a forgotten relic of the 80s. so the new market, justice people, professional consumers, that is their target. maybe the cost is unreasonable for lower and many middle class families (it is for me) but for upper middle (create/media class) and the wealthy, who are probably already living in California and have tons of money to spare, it is a good market. for millenial fanboys who may even be against having children, their movie tickets & theme park spending is by definition a fraction of that spent by families with children (selling 5 movie tickets at once vs 1). Lucas ran his empire off the long tale of the fans buying all kinds of products, a very diversified market of toys, books, games, etc., the new regime seems to be focusing on micro targeting and selective markets instead. interesting strategy. id imagine if they just got their marketing & traffic algorithms down this can be a profitable cash cow.

what yall think the margin is on a $8 class of milkshake with blue food coloring?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
why do you think they would have used it anyways? they did not use Tatooine or Cloud City or any other known and far more popular OT locations. apparently no OT aliens or characters are walking around that aren't in ST. it's kind of confusing.

Because it's the Millennium Falcon and is one of the most recognizable things from Star Wars and just putting that there and in commercials for it immediately identifies it as Star Wars.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Going to Galaxy's Edge for the second time this afternoon. Haven't seen it at night and haven't tried any of the food outside the blue milk.

Won't do the Cantina until January.

JBat

I was there yesterday and it was honestly incredible. we didn't get to do the ride or build a light saber (which i do regret; maybe next year...) because we spent most of the day around Toy Story for the kids. I like Star Wars but I'm not a super fan like some friends who are members of the 501st. From what i understand from them the sabers are actually a pretty good deal especially with the experience of putting it together.

Dontero

Banned
They had whole extended universe to work with with so many pieces of great storytelling that just needs to be comverted to movies and they killed that.

Imagine KOTOR2 made into movie.

It's quite simple. They only have 1 ride. The world building isn't enough if your other two activities, lightsaber building and droid building, cost extra. It also doesn't help that at launch they severely limited guests access by allowing only certain people to reserve AND giving them time restriction in the area, so most people just didnt' bother.

TheZink

I was there yesterday and it was honestly incredible. we didn't get to do the ride or build a light saber (which i do regret; maybe next year...) because we spent most of the day around Toy Story for the kids. I like Star Wars but I'm not a super fan like some friends who are members of the 501st. From what i understand from them the sabers are actually a pretty good deal especially with the experience of putting it together.
A friend of mine did the saber build and brought it to work the other day. It’s solid. Probably weighed more than a pound. Only thing I noticed that was disappointing was all the sounds are delayed when swinging it. The cheap target store versions were more accurate with the sound effects when moving it around.

Done.

I had seen a comic book when I was a kid that was about post Return of the Jedi and Luke fell to the dark side and became the new Emperor, it was pretty cool. I don't remember it very well but it would've been a lot more interesting than the garbage we got.

Star Wars: Dark Empire

It was the first content that actually offered EU background about what happened to the Jedi and it was much cooler than Order 66 ended up being. But a lot of EU stuff was way cooler than official canon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they jacked up drink prices. gotta milk those whales

Prices on cocktails and beer have risen by $1, and signature cocktails served in collectible mugs received an additional $3 to their price tags. The Rancor Beer Flight Souvenir Board with Four Teeth beer sampler, initially priced at $75, has now been given a new price tag of $85.

wondering what you can get for the low price of $85?

Ogas-Cantina-Opening-Day-Review-beverages-and-snacks-ambiance-SWGE_13-1200x800-1200x800.jpg

they run a good scam tho. most flight sets typically cost around $20, glasses included.

MilkyJoe

they jacked up drink prices. gotta milk those whales

Prices on cocktails and beer have risen by $1, and signature cocktails served in collectible mugs received an additional $3 to their price tags. The Rancor Beer Flight Souvenir Board with Four Teeth beer sampler, initially priced at $75, has now been given a new price tag of $85.

wondering what you can get for the low price of $85?

Ogas-Cantina-Opening-Day-Review-beverages-and-snacks-ambiance-SWGE_13-1200x800-1200x800.jpg

they run a good scam tho. most flight sets typically cost around $20, glasses included.

Do you get to keep the table and teeth?

Why are they encouraging people to drink at Disneyland?

Do you get to keep the table and teeth?

Why are they encouraging people to drink at Disneyland?

To forget the cost of their car-loan they had to take out just to visit for 2 nights.

If the actual park, apart from the $$-grabby-ness, is the typical Disney I'm sure it's well produced. Art and function of the attractions appear to be good. But CurrentYear() culture has sacked much potential from this place.

theclaw135

Banned
the Ewok movies are actually good compared to the new ones! i wish they were pumping out Ewok movie quality film.s the one with the witch and all that, that's actually new stuff, not just Jedi/Rebels/Empire all over again.

the problem is their standards are so low that even an 80s Ewok made for tv spinoff movie is more original.

Cleaning up Imperial loyalists may be a crucial part of the story... but you're right.
It's "old news" to viewers and belongs pieced together in the background.

wipeout364

I was just there (literally tonight) It was very well done. Really enjoyed the atmosphere the kids loved the Disney go app where you can hack devices, scan crates, and do missions they could have done that for hours. Oga’s cantina is pretty cool but pretty expensive and very hard to get into, I lucked into a reservation and 8:45 in the morning. Oga’s would only be worth it if you got in relatively easy I wouldn’t queue for a long time.

Smugglers Run is mind blowing the first time you do it. I mean it is really something else if you get right seat pilot and get to pull the sticks to fire up the the hyperdrive it feels amazing. Unfortunately the gunner and engineer jobs kind of suck and the ride gets worse each time ( I went four times did all jobs). Smuggler’s run can’t hold the park together it’s asking too much, it needs a couple of more Star Wars rides. Even something simple like Toy story mania set in the Star Wars universe or a roller coaster.

On a side note I find these VR/ Dark rides get really boring quickly and the new rise of the resistance ride is apparently going to be a Dark ride of some sort which is disappointing wearing 3D glasses for every ride ( like at universal) sucks IMO.

Anyway if you are going to Disney and are a Star Wars Fan you must go to this it is amazing but expensive. If you are a Star Wars fan is it worth going just for this? No, there is not enough there right now, you have The Black Spire which is a nice recreation of a Star Wars colony/ town, two rides Star tours ( OK) and smugglers run (amazing the first timers ), Oga’s canteen which is just OK, Savi’s workshop very expensive experience (200 dollars) that last 15 to 20 minutes but well done.
I think I did everything excerpt the launch bay and the droid building, if anyone has any questions.

Top Bottom