• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Pixar presents “Soul” - 2020 release, Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey

Armorian

Banned
DIVERSITY™

b5d123.png

sol_bad

Depending on the area, this is totally reasonable. God, I remember somebody whining that Peter's school in the MCU was "too diverse", and then someone who actually lived in NYC shut down that ignorant bullshit fast.

Did people whinge like this when Sister Act 1 and 2 came out?
I wonder.
Nope

*EDIT*
Weren't all the kids in those films black?

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Pixar has lost its magic.

Far from a Monster Inc, UP or Wall-E ... feels like that Dino movie they made. I didnt finish coco and onward looks like it has flopped ... ; less real life topics in your movies and more fantasy, magical, quirky, fun stuff, pixar.

We dont need to see a struggling panda outcasted by other bears for being different.

KielCasto

I don’t remember much of Inside Out and I only remember Coco because of that one song. This looks interesting enough, but I’m tired of that art style.

and they accidentally fall to earth? So, will they share that one body?

Armorian

Banned
Depending on the area, this is totally reasonable. God, I remember somebody whining that Peter's school in the MCU was "too diverse", and then someone who actually lived in NYC shut down that ignorant bullshit fast.

Even if area is way more populated by afro americans than rest of US (13% of total population) there should at least be some caucasians around (and I have seen none in entire trailer but maybe I'm wrong). Also you get idea that white people are not at all interested in music ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is that good or bad?

IDK, it's certainly in line with current hollywood trends.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Also you get idea that white people are not at all interested in music ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do you really?

Even if area is way more populated by afro americans than rest of US (13% of total population) there should at least be some caucasians around (and I have seen none in entire trailer but maybe I'm wrong).
Why so caught up in identity politics?

Armorian

Banned
Do you really?

Kids watching it could.

Why so caught up in identity politics?

All this "clown world" stuff in recent years made me sensitive to things I woudn't notice/care before and I hate that but politics these days really are shoehorned into everything. Whole point of making more ethnically diverse movies (animated in this case) compared to all white that were made before was to make them show how varied in reality american society is. Black Panther had almoast all black cast but it made sense because almost all the action too place in (fictional) African country but this is set in NY (?) and AFAIK population in city looks like this:

22222.png

So what is shown here is more in line with this.

Doom85

there should at least be some caucasians around (and I have seen none in entire trailer but maybe I'm wrong).

The first teaser had a whole bit of a white dude realizing he's not happy with his office job and excitedly shoving everything off his desk.

Also, since Tina Fey is voicing the 2nd soul, odds are pretty good she'll be born as a white baby.

Far from a Monster Inc, UP or Wall-E ... feels like that Dino movie they made. I didnt finish coco and onward looks like it has flopped ... ; less real life topics in your movies and more fantasy, magical, quirky, fun stuff, pixar.

-asks for Pixar to not have real life topics or social commentary in their movies despite them being prevalent in their work since at least Finding Nemo ("don't be a helicopter parent")
-also praises Wall-E, a movie with a TON of social commentary

rBujTE9.jpg

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
The first teaser had a whole bit of a white dude realizing he's not happy with his office job and excitedly shoving everything off his desk.

Also, since Tina Fey is voicing the 2nd soul, odds are pretty good she'll be born as a white baby.

-asks for Pixar to not have real life topics or social commentary in their movies despite them being prevalent in their work since at least Finding Nemo ("don't be a helicopter parent")
-also praises Wall-E, a movie with a TON of social commentary
Pixar has lost its magic.

Monster Inc

Ahh yes, we all watched Wall-E for its social commentary. Why did you not quote Monster Inc. or UP? "Elderly people have rights too?" Remember Ratatouille?

These films are meant for kids. Pixar movies should be FUN (hence the use of a robot in Wall-E and not a panda, human) to watch and not require a deep analysis of hidden messages or what it really meant to emit.

The incredibles 2 was boring, most of their stuff is not fun to watch anymore. They have lost their touch so much, Dreamworks are closing in. PIXAR used to be THE nr.1, untouchable. Now?

Angry Bird 1 and 2, zootopia (ex-pixar people?), whreck it 1, monsters vs aliens, despicable me 1 or how to train your dragon where more fun, less work than coco, inside out, onward?, souls, toy story 3, cars 1, 2 ,3, finding nemo 2 (depressing af), dinosaur ...

PIXAR has released many stinkers.
We Caucasians have souls too, we also can jump!

Last edited:

Doom85

Ahh yes, we all watched Wall-E for its social commentary. Why did you not quote Monster Inc. or UP? "Elderly people have rights too?" Remember Ratatouille?

These films are meant for kids. Pixar movies should be FUN (hence the use of a robot in Wall-E and not a panda, human) to watch and not require a deep analysis of hidden messages or what it really meant to emit.

The incredibles 2 was boring, most of their stuff is not fun to watch anymore. They have lost their touch so much, Dreamworks are closing in. PIXAR used to be THE nr.1, untouchable. Now?

Angry Bird 1 and 2, zootopia (ex-pixar people?), whreck it 1, monsters vs aliens, despicable me 1 or how to train your dragon where more fun, less work than coco, inside out, onward?, souls, toy story 3, cars 1, 2 ,3, finding nemo 2 (depressing af), dinosaur ...

PIXAR has released many stinkers.
We Caucasians have souls too, we also can jump!

I really don't get your argument. You list Zootopia as a "positive" example for yourself, a movie that screams "METAPHOR!!!" at you the whole ride.

Also, there was a story reason why Wall-E was a robot and not a panda (the fuck?) or human. Did you pay attention to the movie?

Also, holy Christ, I'd watch Inside Out, Coco, Toy Story 3 and 4, Finding Nemo 2, Incredibles 2, etc. over Despicable Me any day. The first 2 aren't that bad (3 sucks except for the villain, and Minions was a crime against humanity) but they're soulless corporate products, clearly designed to appeal to merchandise-loving saps who don't want a movie to challenge them or make them feel anything significant. Illumination's entire catalogue is pretty much that. I'm really disappointed that Nintendo chose them to make the Mario movie, god even someone like Dreamworks with their hit-or-miss track record would be a better choice.

What's this "kids' movie (when really "family film" is the more appropriate definition) can't be sad" noise? The Land Before Time is a beloved classic and that movie is about has the characters starving and barely escaping death for at least 80% of the film. Kids can watch stuff that gets sad, and still love it. I watched Land Before Time non-stop as a kid. Didn't mean I didn't like more upbeat films as well, but I wasn't in this close-minded definition you seem to think all kids are in. If kids didn't want stuff that gets emotional, I'm pretty sure Toy Story 4 wouldn't have made over a billion dollars at the box office.

Again, Tina Fey (a white woman) is voicing the 2nd most important soul of the story. The hell you whining about?

Handel

I find Inside Out to be incredibly overrated and like a lot of Pixar stuff, too heavy handed in going for the feels and hammering in a message that they tend to slip up on executing.

This feels like it's more in that style, might watch it on Disney+ sometime or get it on Redbox but it's a pass for seeing it in theaters.

Handel

I really don't get your argument. You list Zootopia as a "positive" example for yourself, a movie that screams "METAPHOR!!!" at you the whole ride.
Zootopia executed its message in a more organic and impactful way than any Pixar movie has done in a long time, if ever. It also works perfectly fine as just a fun buddy cop movie, with great characters who have outstanding chemistry together. It's one of the best animated movies ever, and Pixar hasn't had a movie on that same level in quite some time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kids watching it could.

All this "clown world" stuff in recent years made me sensitive to things I woudn't notice/care before and I hate that but politics these days really are shoehorned into everything. Whole point of making more ethnically diverse movies (animated in this case) compared to all white that were made before was to make them show how varied in reality american society is. Black Panther had almoast all black cast but it made sense because almost all the action too place in (fictional) African country but this is set in NY (?) and AFAIK population in city looks like this:

22222.png

So what is shown here is more in line with this.

Is that not for the whole city? This is probably focused on a specific neighborhood or part of the city. Either way, I doubt it's trying to be accurate to any historical or fantastical setting. If it's what the director wanted to depict then let him. The color of the made up characters aren't going to determine the quality of the film.

Top Bottom