• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Rebooting Zorro With Wilmer Valderrama as Don Diego de la Vega

ManaByte

Gold Member

In “Zorro,” Valderrama would star as Don Diego de la Vega and his swashbuckling alter ego, the masked horseman known as Zorro, in the days of Spanish California.

The show is a reimagining of the Disney-ABC “Zorro” series starring Guy Williams that aired in the 1950s. That show also starred Gene Sheldon, George J. Lewis, and Henry Calvin. It aired for 78 episodes between 1957 and 1959, with four hour-long episodes airing in the early 1960s.

“Growing up, Zorro was the one character that made me, as a Latino, feel like I could be a hero,” Valderrama said. “As an adult and a storyteller, I have a responsibility in the stories that I help bring to life. To partner with Gary and Disney to bring Zorro back into the family after 60 years and be a part of the legacy for other children to know they too can be the heroes of their own stories is a dream come true.”

The Guy Williams movie The Sign of Zorro is on Disney+, but the TV series isn't. Disney does have digital masters of it because they released it as a Disney Movie Club DVD exclusive over a decade ago, so maybe this will get them to post the original series on D+ as well.

O-N-E

I wanted a new Zorro, but...

not like this GIF

Jennings

So much for drama and romance. Maybe they'll wait until at least the second episode before the fart and poop jokes.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Zorro is one of those properties I know of, would recognize if I saw it immediately, but I honestly don’t think i’ve ever seen an episode of it’s tv show or the movie. come to think of it I have no idea how it know anything about zorro. maybe it’s iconic look is like preprogrammed in human dna?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Zorro is one of those properties I know of, would recognize if I saw it immediately, but I honestly don’t think i’ve ever seen an episode of it’s tv show or the movie. come to think of it I have no idea how it know anything about zorro. maybe it’s iconic look is like preprogrammed in human dna?

Quentin Tarantino GIF by MIRAMAX

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is zorro in the public domain? Wasn't there supposed to be a female led zorro with Sophia Vergara producing?

Give me good swordfighting and I'm down with zorro all day long.

*Nightwing

Is zorro in the public domain?

Yes, original story and character in public domain.
trademarked logo, and all previous stories done through licensing with original Disney show are protected under copyright since court case in 2018

Zorro incorporated still exists and its sole purpose is to sue anybody who doesn’t pay licensing rights into bankruptcy so anyone trying to use public domain still have to deal with a lawsuit with these fuckers. Disney paying them and have the owner in as a producer in on the show as well as Info it’s being done as a telenovela rather than a classic action show.

HoodWinked

you know with all the obsession with race and gender swapping of course here where it could work they would pass up the opportunity for a sexy lady zorro. what a bunch of fuckers.

There's no improving perfection. Just do reruns of the old show. The actor is one thing, but just think of all the other ways they could mess up this new series. It's not worth the risk.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
ahhhh... the 8 people on the planet who like Zorro are fucking estatic at this news... better have some ghost pirates in it for me to bother with

LoneWolf&Subs

Neo Member
Zorro incorporated still exists and its sole purpose is to sue anybody who doesn’t pay licensing rights into bankruptcy so anyone trying to use public domain still have to deal with a lawsuit with these fuckers. Disney paying them and have the owner in as a producer in on the show as well as Info it’s being done as a telenovela rather than a classic action show.
So basically this…
250px-El-zorro-500x741.jpg

again.

LoneWolf&Subs

Neo Member
If they use old soap opera cameras, and sincerely done, I think it has a chance to appeal to people that like this sort of shit. You can’t top Mask of Zorro. It’s impossible to do.

VulcanRaven

You should watch The Mask of Zorro (1998). Its one of my favorite superhero movies.

Top Bottom