• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Star Wars is taking a “hiatus”

iconmaster

Banned
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ill-take-a-break-after-episode-ix-disney-says

Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said he’s not at all concerned that consumers may be overexposed to the Star Wars brand, but the film franchise will go on “hiatus” after December’s big release.

“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter,” Iger said in a Bloomberg Television interview Thursday. “There are movies in development, but we have not announced them.”

Yet there’s a growing disturbance in the galaxy. Last year’s “Solo: A Star Wars Story” — a stand-alone film that wasn’t part of the saga — was the lowest-grossing film in the four-decade history of the franchise. Star Wars toy sales fell in 2018 for the second year in a row, according to NPD research.

Best news I’ve heard all week.

kunonabi

Its incredibly damning that under Disney's leadership SW has gone from one of, if not the, the biggest event film franchises to a TV thing.

JimiNutz

Banned
It's a shame it's come to this because one good Star Wars movie a year wouldn't be too much but after the way the franchise has been handled recently, this is necessary.

Looks like they are going to focus on Star Wars TV instead?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Needing a Star Wars hiatus isn't the problem, it's those who you have in charge.

I'm surprised he hasn't figured that out yet. Unless he has, and this is a part of the plan.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are literally rewriting the classics history in the cartoons aimed at children.

This is why you're failing with the IP.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
good. they have quickly milked the cow dry.

even when Lucas was doing them we only had to deal with 3 at a time. Disney started pumping them out and after 3 i got sick of them, and there are two more (Solo, IX) they are putting out.

i don't know how the biggest brand in the world messes up the largest selling franchise in the world but i guess being too greedy will do it!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who would have guessed that treating your fanbase like trash would effect how they treat you in return

Don't be a "man baby". Oh wait, double standards with sexism in derogatory terms are allowed.

I know plenty of female Star Wars fans that are pretty far left TDS that are just as upset. Again, this is why they fail and they're so out of touch with such black-and-white scenarios in their brains.

One of my good friends never even texted me back after we saw the movie separately when I asked her what she thought, that's how upset she was. And she normally buys into this wokeness shit. But I guess we all have our limits, especially if it's a beloved franchise.

She ignored talking about it completely and asked months later if I wanted to see Solo together, lol.

plushyp

Needing a Star Wars hiatus isn't the problem, it's those who you have in charge.

I'm surprised he hasn't figured that out yet. Unless he has, and this is a part of the plan.
I hope this results in canning the supposed trilogy by Rian Johhson.

Stitch

Gold Member
Yeah Solo was actually pretty good and I wanted to see what the Cameo at the end was all about. Now they'll explain it in a stupid book or comic or something like that :messenger_face_steam:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm not even going to give it the dignity of sourcing a SW gif:

ihebz.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
Looks like they are going to focus on Star Wars TV instead?

He says there are movies in development, they just haven't made the announcements. So this all seems like a big nothing to me. They're still making the TV show and movies are in development. A hiatus isn't needed, better movies are.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
Didn't Kathleen Kennedy get a short extension on her contract. I don't think we'll be seeing her again when this movie hiatus ends.

Javthusiast

Banned
Give me a good effing movie based on the old republic setting and I will be happy. The ''fatigue'' they talk about isn't the issue, I am sure they will milk it with star wars disney + tv shows, it's the people they put in charge who made bad creative decisions so far.

Saruhashi

Banned
The fact that one of the first things they did was to retcon the entire Expanded Universe shows how little they understand about who exactly out there likes Star Wars and why they like it.

Should have been easy enough to kick off with a sequel trilogy that used the Expanded Universe to some extent.
I get there was a need to get the original cast back together but they just seemed to treat it like "how can we put these old folks to bed and then go forward with OUR new characters".

The time and money that Rogue One and Solo took up would have been better spent focusing on the "Old Republic" stuff.
Or go into Darth Bane or some of that stuff.

They also have this really bad habit of "teasing" stuff that is, I think, objectively better than the stuff they actually make movies about.

So Rogue One has Vader being a badass for about 2 minutes at the end of the movie and I was left feeling "hang on, THAT is the movie I wanted to see!"
Why wouldn't it be better to have Rogue One kick off with the plans being stolen and then the plot just follows Darth Vader as he hunts down and kills them? They have, what, 20 odd years of time between Ep3 and the start of Ep4 and they could show us all the stuff Vader was up to in that time but instead they give us what he was doing 20 minutes before the start of Ep4.

Then they do the same shit with Darth Maul in Solo. As soon as he appears it's like "wait, you're telling me Darth Maul could have been in this all along?"
Why didn't they give us that!? So he was cut in half by Obi-Wan, survived somehow and when off on his own to become some kind of crime overlord. Wonder if he ever plotted to get back in with Palpatine? Wonder if Maul would ever confront Vader and they could battle it out.

Why do we have these just OK films that actively are hinting at WAY better stories. Just hand over the good stories FFS.
Guys, do you want to know how the Death Star plans were stolen or do you want to see what Darth Vader has been up to all these years?

Do you want to learn how Han Solo got his name? We'll tell you!
Do you want to learn how Darth Maul got his robot legs? Oh, we'll just leave that one hanging.

You could even argue that the sequels do the same since we pick up many years after Ep6 but within a single day or two of movie time Han and Luke have been killed off. Who cares about Rey and Finn!? What the hell were these dudes up to all these years? How the hell did the galaxy just revert back to "A New Hope"?

Jesus fuck. They just handled the whole thing so badly.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
He says there are movies in development, they just haven't made the announcements. So this all seems like a big nothing to me.

IMO, that statement is the "nothing." It's a bone thrown to investors to keep them from panicking that Disney is throwing away its $4 billion IP.

I doubt we're going to see the Rian Johnson trilogy, for example.

Super Mario

Banned
I don't believe that they can ever make another star wars that everyone likes. When the first movies were released, it was during a different time where everyone couldn't go online to bash them.

Episode 7 was not bad. It was star wars. It introduced a new story. Stayed true to the formula. Then people started to unlike it because of what they read online. "Too much of the same". Then comes episode 8 and "too much different". That's not to say 8 wasn't a mess.

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't believe that they can ever make another star wars that everyone likes. When the first movies were released, it was during a different time where everyone couldn't go online to bash them.

Episode 7 was not bad. It was star wars. It introduced a new story. Stayed true to the formula. Then people started to unlike it because of what they read online. "Too much of the same". Then comes episode 8 and "too much different". That's not to say 8 wasn't a mess.

I think, as the first part of a new trilogy and with the pressure of following the prequels, that Episode 7 was everything it needed to be.

First it was a good Star Wars movie after the previous 3 were terrible. They HAD to nail that so I can forgive them for playing it safe.
Second it opened up enough potential story threads that Ep8 and Ep9 had a very solid foundation to build on.

Ep7 opened up an opportunity for people to at worst end up saying "7 is my least favorite of the new ones but 8 and 9 were awesome."
Then they bring in RJ and he completely shuts that shit down.
Nobody can convince me that the ending of Ep8 (with the broom kid) shouldn't have been the last shot of the entire saga.
They squandered the opportunity.

Not only did they squander the opportunity but they seemed to also go on the offensive against their own fanbase, which is just so bizarre.

Nymphae

Banned
IMO, that statement is the "nothing." It's a bone thrown to investors to keep them from panicking that Disney is throwing away its $4 billion IP.

They are obviously going to make more movies, I don't imagine anyone really believes Disney is going to "throw away" Star Wars after a couple of poor receptions.

iconmaster

Banned
They are obviously going to make more movies, I don't imagine anyone really believes Disney is going to "throw away" Star Wars after a couple of poor receptions.

Oh, I agree with that. I just think the "in development" at this point means "we have a guy doodling new Star Wars ships."

I expect the hiatus to be of some duration, is what I'm saying.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

i mean they can probably just dump a bunch of shows on Disney+ and make as much money. for some reason people really want a Boba Fett tv show and a tv show about the side character in Rogue One and an Obi Wan tv show. they can continue milking the OT through their streaming service. instead of films coming out in theaters they will be doled out as streaming mini series. the Disney SW films are shot/directed by tv directors anyways, so there's not that big a difference.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
The last Jedi really was that bad. I’d forgive it if it had carried on from the foundations of the force awakens but was just poorly executed. It’s how it just ignored the story and denied the fans what they were hoping for, like it was punishment for liking Star Wars.

Fox Mulder

The hype and excitement of TFA was real and a packed theater on opening night was fun. Just baffling that they planned a trilogy where a different director could shit the bed with the middle film. TLJ sucks and I don't even care about the next one now.

I'll still buy the theatrical OT release some day.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The current Star Wars cast has chemistry going on right now, and especially after the second mid 2000s reboot this isn't a surprise they want a time out on Star Wars, the series is highly valued there's no arguing that. I'd take Star Wars video games over the movies anyway.

RPGCrazied

They won't sit on it for long. That is their cash cow. They didn't spend billions of dollars aquiring it only to sit on it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They won't sit on it for long. That is their cash cow. They didn't spend billions of dollars aquiring it only to sit on it.

Yeah they'll probably have the next Star Wars movie (the movie after Ep. 9) come out in 2022.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Big fan of the original Star Wars trilogy as a kid (I’m 35). I collected the original series figures years before Phantom Menace came out.

Have not even seen any of the Disney Star Wars movies and don’t have the slightest inclination to do so. Just seems like this sprawling, generic, uninteresting feeding frenzy for the masses.

thequestion

The “original” ideas coming out of the Disney brain trust, in regards to Star Wars, are embarrassingly bad. Since they clearly have no ideas, I suggest to do the following:

Cast new, unknown actors to play the iconic roles of Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, etc. Start a new film trilogy following the original trilogy of Thrawn novels. Then, after that keep cherry picking the best ideas that came from the EU and you’ll have a solid franchise again.

Also do a KOTOR series.

The worst part of Disney Star Wars is losing the entire classic EU. Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, and OG Grand Admiral Thrawn among others died for this trash.

If anything, after the "hiatus" they should retcon the Disney Trilogy out of existence, reinstate the original EU, and make movies based off of that.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
"Star Wars toy sales fell in 2018 for the second year in a row, according to NPD research."

Here's where Disney are going wrong, fucking caring about merch sales instead of making a great movie.

First it was a good Star Wars movie after the previous 3 were terrible.
The prequels were amazing, and alongside The Clone Wars, represent the most well realized, unified version of the Star Wars universe. The prequels are legit.

Right now, the only Star Wars anything that I care about is Star Wars Legion, the miniatures game by Fantasy Flight Games. And I was more excited for them announcing the Clone Wars core box than ANYTHING Disney has ever done with the license. Unreasonably excited. I'm gonna paint the shit out of some clone troopers.

The Force Awakens is bad. It's not a terrible movie, but it has a LOT of problems with pacing, logic, and plagiarism. Also, it is a terrible Star Wars movie, a terrible first movie in a trilogy, and feels like someone's poor Star Wars fan fiction (it even comes with a Mary Sue). It was completely mediocre and contributed NOTHING to expanding Star Wars - especially when you consider how much destroying the EU ended up taking away. Both Solo and Rogue One were decent (but not amazing), but they at least contributed to the greater Star Wars canon in their own ways.

manfestival

The fact that one of the first things they did was to retcon the entire Expanded Universe shows how little they understand about who exactly out there likes Star Wars and why they like it.

Should have been easy enough to kick off with a sequel trilogy that used the Expanded Universe to some extent.
I get there was a need to get the original cast back together but they just seemed to treat it like "how can we put these old folks to bed and then go forward with OUR new characters".

The time and money that Rogue One and Solo took up would have been better spent focusing on the "Old Republic" stuff.
Or go into Darth Bane or some of that stuff.

They also have this really bad habit of "teasing" stuff that is, I think, objectively better than the stuff they actually make movies about.

So Rogue One has Vader being a badass for about 2 minutes at the end of the movie and I was left feeling "hang on, THAT is the movie I wanted to see!"
Why wouldn't it be better to have Rogue One kick off with the plans being stolen and then the plot just follows Darth Vader as he hunts down and kills them? They have, what, 20 odd years of time between Ep3 and the start of Ep4 and they could show us all the stuff Vader was up to in that time but instead they give us what he was doing 20 minutes before the start of Ep4.

Then they do the same shit with Darth Maul in Solo. As soon as he appears it's like "wait, you're telling me Darth Maul could have been in this all along?"
Why didn't they give us that!? So he was cut in half by Obi-Wan, survived somehow and when off on his own to become some kind of crime overlord. Wonder if he ever plotted to get back in with Palpatine? Wonder if Maul would ever confront Vader and they could battle it out.

Why do we have these just OK films that actively are hinting at WAY better stories. Just hand over the good stories FFS.
Guys, do you want to know how the Death Star plans were stolen or do you want to see what Darth Vader has been up to all these years?

Do you want to learn how Han Solo got his name? We'll tell you!
Do you want to learn how Darth Maul got his robot legs? Oh, we'll just leave that one hanging.

You could even argue that the sequels do the same since we pick up many years after Ep6 but within a single day or two of movie time Han and Luke have been killed off. Who cares about Rey and Finn!? What the hell were these dudes up to all these years? How the hell did the galaxy just revert back to "A New Hope"?

Jesus fuck. They just handled the whole thing so badly.
Strikes me that you are an extended universe fan. So what's different?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Don’t really get the disdain for Disney. the last Jedi sucked but TFA, Rogue One, and Solo were all good to great movies. At the very least better than anything Lucas has made in the last 40 years.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Don’t really get the disdain for Disney...
They squandered their 4 billion dollar investment. The story could have gone to a thousand different places, instead, they decided to re-tell the same story, but worse. Say what you will about Lucas' prowess as a story teller, he was nothing if not original; an auteur marching to the beat of his own drum. Disney may never make something as horrid as The Phantom Menance or Attack of the Clones, but they'll sure-as-shit never make anything as good as A New Hope or The Empire Strike Back. Hence, the disdain.

ChrisDude

The prequels were amazing, and alongside The Clone Wars, represent the most well realized, unified version of the Star Wars universe. The prequels are legit.

Right now, the only Star Wars anything that I care about is Star Wars Legion, the miniatures game by Fantasy Flight Games. And I was more excited for them announcing the Clone Wars core box than ANYTHING Disney has ever done with the license. Unreasonably excited. I'm gonna paint the shit out of some clone troopers.

The Force Awakens is bad. It's not a terrible movie, but it has a LOT of problems with pacing, logic, and plagiarism. Also, it is a terrible Star Wars movie, a terrible first movie in a trilogy, and feels like someone's poor Star Wars fan fiction (it even comes with a Mary Sue). It was completely mediocre and contributed NOTHING to expanding Star Wars - especially when you consider how much destroying the EU ended up taking away. Both Solo and Rogue One were decent (but not amazing), but they at least contributed to the greater Star Wars canon in their own ways.

No...The prequels are even worse. Bad acting, horrible pacing, cringe dialogue, bad directing, cgi overkill and so on.

There is nothing that redeems those movies besides a good soundtrack.

Kadayi

Banned
They squandered their 4 billion dollar investment. The story could have gone to a thousand different places, instead, they decided to re-tell the same story, but worse. Say what you will about Lucas' prowess as a storyteller, he was nothing if not original; an auteur marching to the beat of his own drum. Disney may never make something as horrid as The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, but they'll sure-as-shit never make anything as good as A New Hope or The Empire Strike Back. Hence, the disdain.

^ on point

The biggest mistake they ever made was to bring in JJ Abrams because the guy is essentially a shallow remixer. Whereas what they needed was an actual visionary, someone who could look beyond the superficial visual hooks of the original trilogy like Stormtroopers, Death Stars and X-wings and craft a compelling story wherein the aged heroes of the new republic elegantly hand the narrative momentum over to a younger generation to face off against a completely new threat to the Galaxy, and more importantly with an actual concrete plan for how the trilogy should go.

Instead, what we were treated to was Abrams crudely attempting to retell a new hope, with a twist (Sorry black dude, you're not the hero step aside for Mary Sue) and wholly undermining the entirety the events of the original trilogy in the process. The New Republic? Get fucked. The Empire is back, with a Storm Trooper refresh and those two feisty 30 somethings you once knew as Leia and Han back in their respective roles 40 years later (with a twist) as the just got out of rehab looking septuagenarian leader of the rebellion/resistance (whatever they have x-wings and orange jumpsuits so cheer you fuckers, cheer!!!) and bedraggled absentee father/washed up grifter still chasing that big break smuggler who goes out like a bitch because he refused to do any more movies. But what about Luke? Oh Yeah, you've gotta see the next film to really see him, it's gonna be epic, trust us.

The worst part of it all though is that the film did gangbusters at the boss office which was pretty much the seal of approval Disney felt to do whatever the fuck they liked because as fas as they could fathom your average star wars fan was a-ok with whatever slop they pushed out as long as it had enough backreferences in it to the previous films.

A lot of people are now talking about a full reboot and I must admit that was very much my view for a while, but in truth, I just don't think a full reimagining of a New Hope, for instance, would possess the necessary punch these days. To echo DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi it's dead Jim

Top Bottom