• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Star Wars is taking a “hiatus”

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
You don't take risks with characters that people have had 30 years to become attached to.

They are reaping what they have sown.

Stuart360

I think people are jumping the gun a little here. This is Star Wars, one of the biggest things on the planet, Disney are not going to stick it away for 20 years.
I think the low gross for Solo, and the fans reactions to TLJ, have probably caught Disney off guard a little, and the are going to spend some time regrouping.
Solo was great by the way, but the negativity surrounding that film through production meant it was always going to underperform (by SW standards). I feel TLJ fan reaction probably caught Disney by surprise a little. You can tell that they ptobably thought that was an amazing movie that would blow the fans away, which in itself shows how they need to step back and look at what they are doing.
We dont need a Star Wars film EVERY year.

The prequels were amazing, and alongside The Clone Wars, represent the most well realized, unified version of the Star Wars universe. The prequels are legit.

Right now, the only Star Wars anything that I care about is Star Wars Legion, the miniatures game by Fantasy Flight Games. And I was more excited for them announcing the Clone Wars core box than ANYTHING Disney has ever done with the license. Unreasonably excited. I'm gonna paint the shit out of some clone troopers.

The Force Awakens is bad. It's not a terrible movie, but it has a LOT of problems with pacing, logic, and plagiarism. Also, it is a terrible Star Wars movie, a terrible first movie in a trilogy, and feels like someone's poor Star Wars fan fiction (it even comes with a Mary Sue). It was completely mediocre and contributed NOTHING to expanding Star Wars - especially when you consider how much destroying the EU ended up taking away. Both Solo and Rogue One were decent (but not amazing), but they at least contributed to the greater Star Wars canon in their own ways.

People love to poke fun at the prequel trilogy but they also have legit unique and original action set pieces that are far better than anything off of the sequel trilogy. I'm not even going to count Revenge of the Sith which has some of the best in the trilogy but lets just compare prequel vs sequel.

Obi-Wan vs Jango on Kamino
The asteroid minefield scene
Podracing (a scene that created it's own freaking of videogame of it's own that's solely podracing)
Obi-Wan and Qui Gon vs Darth Maul
Battle for Geonosis

vs

Finn and Poe's escape from a star destroyer
Crait (which is a poor man's battle of Hoth with a different color palette)

I'm not even going to bring up that the prequel trilogy also had unique creations with the droid army that gave us something different.

Also Ashoka > Rey and actually does the whole I can use force powers without necessarily being a jedi or sith thing right.

quickwhips

You need a Kevin feige for Star Wars and you don’t have that. Get your shit straight and start world building. the best thing Disney has at marvel is Kevin.

Last edited:

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I've heard a lot about Star Wars fatigue.. I absolutely do not have it, I'm only tired of shitty Star Wars movies.

I think 9 movies dealing with 1 family saga and it’s generations is the thing that’s getting long in the tooth

Your telling me this whole fucking galaxy jumping, interstellar space travel, we’ve stayed for NINE FUCKING MOVIES on the same fucking planets over and over

For fuck sakes, enough Tatooine. Also Tatooine is a FUCKING PLANET!, yet we revisit that small damn city like 8 times. Like holy shit, move the fuck on!

I’d rather Star Wars be a universe where different styles and stories are told. Like one offs.
Give me a Star Wars Saving Private Ryan style StormTrooper movie.
Give me a Jedi on a remote planet dealing with different beasts, overcome obstacles

Like Rogue One showed, it doesn’t have to really need to stitch to the same movies over and over

The stories would play out more anthology style, different but familiar

Give me a bounty hunter Wild West inside a Star Wars universe
You can take some many franchises that have come and give them Star Wars treatment

Fuck I’ll take a Star Wars Jaws or The Meg style movie with Day a $80-100 million budget

In reality, the Star Wars universe is really very small and doesn't do that well with expansion. In theory of course there's limitless planets, stories, races, and things to expand on. And yet it never seems to really work. You still have those same Stormtroopers, those same fighter planes. Over and over.

The only thing that gives me any hope in this brand going forward is that The Old Republic worked so well as a game. And they have the Game of Thrones guys writing something, when their strengths are lore, world building, and old medieval TV series.

If they can build a whole new Old Republic world with all new characters, politics, and art design, then maybe it stands a chance. Otherwise Star Wars is finished.

ZehDon

Rian Johnson’s trilogy going ahead will do more to convince me that God doesn’t exist than The God Delusion.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Rian Johnson can direct a scene, but he can't write one to save his life. Have someone talented write it and if RJ only directs the cast around, I would be happy. The standoff with Luke and V was fantastic, cinematography speaking anyway.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
In reality, the Star Wars universe is really very small and doesn't do that well with expansion. In theory of course there's limitless planets, stories, races, and things to expand on. And yet it never seems to really work. You still have those same Stormtroopers, those same fighter planes. Over and over.

i mean they could have created new designs for the ships. they didn't have to go with Tie Fighters again, they could have done something new. ditto for Storm Troopers. ditto for Star Destroyers. why not make the new threat use spherical designs so there are early Death Stars everywhere? or what if they fly in a giant space jelly? or something organic and scary? you can do anything. they just don't even try to come up with anything new. Chewbacca at one point was a new character. Yoda too. C3PO. these all came out of nowhere. where is the new stuff? just rehash, rehash rehash. this is why they bought the brand. just repackaging the same old designs & stories over and over again. you can't blame them, they have an eager built-in multi-generation audience.

Last edited:

juliotendo

The Force Awakens was fun and decent, and had that classic feel. It did a good job bringing back Star Wars for the current times. I liked it.

The Last Jedi was utter crap and boring. It felt like watching something that wasn’t Star Wars trying to be Star Wars because they had no ideas or ran out of them. Also very crappy characters and Rose needs to go away and her fat face.

JCK75

I think 9 movies dealing with 1 family saga and it’s generations is the thing that’s getting long in the tooth

Your telling me this whole fucking galaxy jumping, interstellar space travel, we’ve stayed for NINE FUCKING MOVIES on the same fucking planets over and over

For fuck sakes, enough Tatooine. Also Tatooine is a FUCKING PLANET!, yet we revisit that small damn city like 8 times. Like holy shit, move the fuck on!

I’d rather Star Wars be a universe where different styles and stories are told. Like one offs.
Give me a Star Wars Saving Private Ryan style StormTrooper movie.
Give me a Jedi on a remote planet dealing with different beasts, overcome obstacles

Like Rogue One showed, it doesn’t have to really need to stitch to the same movies over and over

The stories would play out more anthology style, different but familiar

Give me a bounty hunter Wild West inside a Star Wars universe
You can take some many franchises that have come and give them Star Wars treatment

Fuck I’ll take a Star Wars Jaws or The Meg style movie with Day a $80-100 million budget

I absolutely want more from the same characters.. I want Episodes 1-3 and 7-9 wiped from existence, and someone who actually appreciates the originals and understands the world to write new movies.

Makariel

I absolutely want more from the same characters.. I want Episodes 1-3 and 7-9 wiped from existence, and someone who actually appreciates the originals and understands the world to write new movies.
George Lucas already wrote episodes 1-3, what more do you want? :p

mckmas8808

Banned
They squandered their 4 billion dollar investment. The story could have gone to a thousand different places, instead, they decided to re-tell the same story, but worse. Say what you will about Lucas' prowess as a story teller, he was nothing if not original; an auteur marching to the beat of his own drum. Disney may never make something as horrid as The Phantom Menance or Attack of the Clones, but they'll sure-as-shit never make anything as good as A New Hope or The Empire Strike Back. Hence, the disdain.

They did not. Stop being so extreme. They made two good Star Wars movies and one 2 okay movies (I personally liked Ep 8 though). And now they are creating stories for their Disney+ service too. So no, the $4 billion investment is still working for them.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Thankfully, I don't think Disney would be so stupid as to "reboot" the Skywalker saga like some people here fantasize. Not for decades, anyway. The prequels were a mess and the current trilogy has its problems, but it's not a horrible tragedy that needs to be erased.

With that said, a hiatus is good simply as it gives time to make Star Wars feel special again, and gives Disney/Lucasfilm a chance to learn from the past and see what they can do better. I'm reminded of how Activision helped kill instrument-based music games by milking Guitar Hero to death, putting out seemingly legions of titles without much respect for necessity or the size of customers' bank accounts. There haven't been any serious financial bombs (even Solo made upwards of $400 million), but Disney and Lucasfilm could clearly see what would happen if they kept up the 2015-2018 pacing.

cryptoadam

Banned
Its incredibly damning that under Disney's leadership SW has gone from one of, if not the, the biggest event film franchises to a TV thing.

Disney screwed up for sure, but Star Wars kinda always ebbs and flows. After ROJ Star Wars popularity waned and it was being passed over for things like GI JOE and Ninja Turtles.

Then the PT happened and that nearly killed Star Wars again.

Disney is better off leaving a nice little break so they can get hype again like with TFA. Star Wars overload is not a good thing.

ZehDon

They did not. Stop being so extreme. They made two good Star Wars movies and one 2 okay movies (I personally liked Ep 8 though). And now they are creating stories for their Disney+ service too. So no, the $4 billion investment is still working for them.
You’re posting in a thread about how they’re movies are going on hiatus. Merchandising sales have declined rather sharply. Their video games have been grossly mishandled. Apart from their comics, fans have largely disengaged with Disney’s Star Wars and their attempts. If that’s not squandering the largest entertainment franchise in the world, I don’t know what is.

Last edited:
I can see it working out though. After RoS, however it pans out, if there’s radio silence for like 16 months and then a teaser drops for something SW related I think it would be received pretty positively. I dunno

mckmas8808

Banned
You’re posting in a thread about how they’re movies are going on hiatus. Merchandising sales have declined rather sharply. Their video games have been grossly mishandled. Apart from their comics, fans have largely disengaged with Disney’s Star Wars and their attempts. If that’s not squandering the largest entertainment franchise in the world, I don’t know what is.

Squandered would be true if they were selling the Star Wars rights this year to a different company. They are literally releasing Star War Ep 9 this year correct?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

We have no clue how long the "Hiatus" will last. It could very well only be 1 year of wait before the next Star Wars film is Greenlit. I don't like a lot of the actions Disney or Kathleen Kennedy have taken with the franchise, but saying it has been "squandered" is a bit hyperbolic, especially when you ignore how often the IP was "squandered": similarly by George Lucas himself.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Squandered would be true if they were selling the Star Wars rights this year to a different company. They are literally releasing Star War Ep 9 this year correct?
Squandered in the sense that they've made incredibly poor use of their investment. They have the biggest name in entertainment, a ravenous fan base four decades in the making, and what have they actually done? They've made five movies, admitted that was too much, with the last mainline entry burning out their most ardent fans, and the last stand-alone film being the first in the 40 year history of the franchise to lose money. They've out-sourced their video games, and in seven years we've seen a grand total of two, one of which is the proud home of the most downvoted comment in the history of reddit, and neither of which met their sales targets. Their merchandising - where Star Wars makes most of its money - has been lacklustre and well under expectations (true for a good number of Disney properties). TLJ should have been a product-selling machine - Star Wars is the largest merchandising property in the world - but a movie so poorly received as TLJ doesn't move a lot of toys. Disney has made back its money, but its yet to prove it can actually do anything with the property other than push agendas onto large audiences. Investors aren't interested in breaking even; they want to see Disney capitalising on a fan base hungry for films, comics, toys, video games, products, goods, and services. Instead of ensuring their vast empire was mobilised to meet a demand that has bee going strong for over 40 years, they squandered their investment, and then fanned the narrative that blamed fans for their failings.

Shifty

Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said he’s not at all concerned that consumers may be overexposed to the Star Wars brand, but the film franchise will go on “hiatus” after December’s big release.
2ypljy.jpg

Saruhashi

Banned
Strikes me that you are an extended universe fan. So what's different?

Not particularly.

It just strikes me that you had a Star Wars "hiatus" from 1983 to 1999 and then again from 2005 to 2015.
What's keeping the franchise so highly relevant through those years?

I guess what I'm saying is that throughout those years you had this hardcore fanbase that was keeping things running along and one of the first things Disney does is say "OK, throw all of that stuff in the bin".

The direction TLJ took is just so unusual and strange. As if they just had no idea what people wanted.
Solo was a bit of a disaster for the same reasons.

Yet, they already essentially had this "road map" with the extended universe that clearly shows what kind of stuff people were really responding to in those times when there were no Star Wars movies.

So it's surprising that they never used this as part of their new "cinematic universe" plans.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don't like how Finn's character arc was squandered. He was an interesting character, with a cool backstory, and had room to grow.

Yes this is the saddest part, they had actual new places to take it and they refused. Finn has to redo his TFA arc in TLJ completely. He helped blow up the super Death Star and fight Kylo in person but now he’s a coward again who forgot why the FO is bad.

That’s the problem with the ST. Not only they did the old characters wrong they did the new ones too. I mean we are two movies in and don’t even know anyone’s last name or where they are from!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ah, this is why they eliminated the EU from canon. so they could just do the same thing and claim it as their sole property.

genius.

gonna suck for all the 90s authors, writers, and artists who helped create the EU. gonna get left out in the dust. but hey at least they get to know that someone else will be ripping off their work to the tune of millions, possibly billions of dollars.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ah, this is why they eliminated the EU from canon. so they could just do the same thing and claim it as their sole property.

genius.

gonna suck for all the 90s authors, writers, and artists who helped create the EU. gonna get left out in the dust. but hey at least they get to know that someone else will be ripping off their work to the tune of millions, possibly billions of dollars.

They can always invite some back. They invited Timothy Zahn back to do a new Thrawn book, as well as help out with Star Wars Rebels.

You can still buy their books, and technically they never were canon, “expanded universe” was the non-canon label. Now they added another layer of branding to that of “Legends”.

I do wish EU works could still be worked on however.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Squandered in the sense that they've made incredibly poor use of their investment. They have the biggest name in entertainment, a ravenous fan base four decades in the making, and what have they actually done? They've made five movies, admitted that was too much, with the last mainline entry burning out their most ardent fans, and the last stand-alone film being the first in the 40 year history of the franchise to lose money. They've out-sourced their video games, and in seven years we've seen a grand total of two, one of which is the proud home of the most downvoted comment in the history of reddit, and neither of which met their sales targets. Their merchandising - where Star Wars makes most of its money - has been lacklustre and well under expectations (true for a good number of Disney properties). TLJ should have been a product-selling machine - Star Wars is the largest merchandising property in the world - but a movie so poorly received as TLJ doesn't move a lot of toys. Disney has made back its money, but its yet to prove it can actually do anything with the property other than push agendas onto large audiences. Investors aren't interested in breaking even; they want to see Disney capitalising on a fan base hungry for films, comics, toys, video games, products, goods, and services. Instead of ensuring their vast empire was mobilised to meet a demand that has bee going strong for over 40 years, they squandered their investment, and then fanned the narrative that blamed fans for their failings.
Meh, it seems to me that you're pushing you own agenda here. The fact is, the Disney's SW films are the highest grossing SW films of all time. They're also mostly good. They've been a success. The franchise is in better hands than ever before.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They can always invite some back. They invited Timothy Zahn back to do a new Thrawn book, as well as help out with Star Wars Rebels.

You can still buy their books, and technically they never were canon, “expanded universe” was the non-canon label. Now they added another layer of branding to that of “Legends”.

I do wish EU works could still be worked on however.

Mhm - plus many of the EU stuff really fucking sucked. For every Thrawn we had 50 different Darksabers

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Meh, it seems to me that you're pushing you own agenda here. The fact is, the Disney's SW films are the highest grossing SW films of all time. They're also mostly good. They've been a success. The franchise is in better hands than ever before.

Eh, I wouldn't say better hands than ever before - but in decent hands none the less. It certainly isn't any *worse* than George Lucas.

JimiNutz

Banned
Mhm - plus many of the EU stuff really fucking sucked. For every Thrawn we had 50 different Darksabers

Yeah they can easily just pick and choose the best bits of the EU and work those into canon (which is what they're doing anyway). Keep the best bits and ditch all the rubbish waste.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah they can easily just pick and choose the best bits of the EU and work those into canon (which is what they're doing anyway). Keep the best bits and ditch all the rubbish waste.

Agreed. The EU needed trimming. I still am hoping for a return of Kyle Katarn. He was my favorite part of the EU (at least in references to Star Wars games).

The Skull

Good. A Hiatus after the backlash of half of the films being meh the last Jedi being incredibly poor, and blaming the fan base. Hopefully mean they will start making these movies again with creative passion instead of products that need to be shipped every year. Shame solo didn't make much, as it's actually an entertaining flick despite some flaws. Rogue one was great as I just saw it as the Saving Private Ryan of the Star Wars universe and Dat Vader scene!

TFA was a very safe sequel/ANH rehash intended to reboot interest in the universe whilst introudcing new characters and dropping hints of where the trilogy could go, which is sucessfully did. The scene where Rey picks up Luke's Saber was brilliant and really reinforced the idea that the Light Saber has a connection to the user and it wasn't just a "weapon". The Last Jedi severely fucked that up. Character arcs, such as Finn's, had been reverted and rehashed, pointless scenes ( Canto Blight), pointless new characters or maybe more accurate new characters with potential that were wasted and just a lot of absolute nonsense. Don't get me started on the treatment of Luke, but that's been done to death.

Thankfully that might mean Rise of Skywalker is half decent, as JJ seems to be throwing fan service at the wall and making sure it all sticks.

A Hiatus is definitely warranted though.

Last edited:

MoFuzz

This has nothing to do with being female. It has more to do with bad writing and directing.
I think the implication is that pushing agendas has become the sole focus above all else. Storytelling, developing new characters, creating new worlds and honoring established conventions and legacies have all been brushed aside, because they are considered secondary at best or irrelevant at worst.

As long as it conveys the the right kind of themes and messages (female empowerment, white man BAD, diversity is our strength) then the product is considered a smashing success. How else could you explain such a divide between what Lucasfilm management has produced and what the fans actually want?

longdi

Banned
I think Kathleen should take a hiatus. The reason for this 'fatigue' is down to her fuck ups, if you talk about equality, her head should row.
Cant believe how directionless she took this IP for years, do you want do something new or continue the OT saga. Of course we know now she stuck with the old saga while letting clown like Rian loose and also injected too much 'force is female' socio-agenda. I
am all for representation but the TLJ stuck out like sore thumb. You dont see people cringing about TFA or Black Panther. If you sense something is off, it is mostly true.

Top Bottom