• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ will be available starting November 12 for $6.99 a month

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/11/dis...tarting-november-12-for-6point99-a-month.html

Disney announced Thursday at the company’s investor day that Disney+ will be available starting on November 12 for $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year.

“Today’s presentation will show you where we’re going, but also remind you that we are starting from a position of strength and optimism,” CEO Bob Iger said.

Many analysts had predicted that Disney would charge as low as $5 to $7 a month for its service, around half of what Netflix costs for its standard HD plan. Disney had signaled that it intended for the platform to be much cheaper than its rival.

Disney had also hinted that it is interested in bundling it with ESPN+ and Hulu, which it owns a 60% stake in. However, it’s unclear if Disney+ will coexist with these other services, particularly considering 40% of Hulu is owned byComcast and AT&T .

plus%20Cropped.1555026815754.jpg

RPGCrazied

Cable TV is fucked. Why even need it with all these streaming services?

I'll only sign up for the Star Wars TV show along with the new Clone Wars animated show. Not until then.

brap

Banned
They have Fox and Star Wars and Marvel content...

I believe all Star Wars movies and all 30 seasons of the Simpsons will be available on it in the first year for example...
Please tell me simpsons won't be some 16:9 upscaled bullshit for the earlier seasons

RPGCrazied

Damn. Found out that Star Wars TV show is coming at launch. That is enough for $6.99. If I stay subscribed after I watch it is another matter.

cryptoadam

Banned
Get in now because the price hikes will hit eventually.

For 6.99 thats a great deal. Unless you love Netflix originals this is a no brainer between the two. Marvel/Star Wars movies just kills Netflix selection and for kids its game over.

They could of done 9.99, so 6.99 is pretty good. And if you aren't switching between services after bingeing you are doing it wrong.

JimiNutz

Banned
Now everyone is going to make a streaming service

I'm amazed it's taken this long.
It makes so much sense for a company to sell its content directly to the consumer via their own service rather than through a third party.

So long as consumers can pay per month and cancel whenever they like it's a good deal for us too. I know people are concerned that they will end up paying for many different streaming services and that it'll end up being more expensive than cable but with cable you had to pay for the service for a year and you'd often be paying for loads of content that you had no interest in.

I have no interest in being subscribed to a Disney steaming service all year but I'd happily pay for one or two months, binge what I want to watch and then cancel. I'll probably just end up paying for two months per year or something like that and watch everything that I'm interested in in one hit.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Who watches that much disney

I do! At least early Disney. Haven't been a huge fan of their latest releases (Wreck-It Ralph 2 is my most disappointing theatrical sequel of the past decade). Would love it if they also release old Disney TV shows like the OG Ducktales, Even Stevens, or some of their original tv films like Smart House or Halloween Town. Would be a very nice little subscription whenever I get the itch to watch them.

Grinchy

Banned
It's a smart move. This is a "beat the shit out of netflix so they lose a bunch of subscribers, then raise the price years later" strategy.

It's the kind of shit Amazon loves doing too where they introduce a new service at a total loss because they're buying the idea in everyone's head that this amazing and cheap service is necessary in their lives. Then the price gets raised so it can finally become profitable.

Cato

Banned
They have Fox and Star Wars and Marvel content...

I believe all Star Wars movies and all 30 seasons of the Simpsons will be available on it in the first year for example...

No, I am pretty sure that the first 6 star wars movies were already licenced out to Turner for a decade or so to finance the latest movies (Soylo etc)
Those sw movies will not be part of their streaming service. Iger is probably super pleased by this. /s

Alx

That should be huge for parents. The Disney classics alone could make the service viable, and with Star Wars and Marvel on top I suppose it would be hard to fail.
If you can jump in and out as easily as with Netflix, I may subscribe for a month or two from time to time, to catch up with the movies I have missed.

mcjmetroid

It's cheap... For now.

Call me mad but I don't see this one working. I wouldn't have called it Disney+ for one. It implies that it's only Disney content and the general public see that as just cartoons.

Advertising is key here.

Mista

Banned
I'm amazed it's taken this long.
It makes so much sense for a company to sell its content directly to the consumer via their own service rather than through a third party.

So long as consumers can pay per month and cancel whenever they like it's a good deal for us too. I know people are concerned that they will end up paying for many different streaming services and that it'll end up being more expensive than cable but with cable you had to pay for the service for a year and you'd often be paying for loads of content that you had no interest in.

I have no interest in being subscribed to a Disney steaming service all year but I'd happily pay for one or two months, binge what I want to watch and then cancel. I'll probably just end up paying for two months per year or something like that and watch everything that I'm interested in in one hit.
Totally understandable and I for sure agree with what you said. It’s just everything is going to be a mess later while managing all those subscriptions

JimiNutz

Banned
Totally understandable and I for sure agree with what you said. It’s just everything is going to be a mess later while managing all those subscriptions

Yeah that could be a problem especially if you have many different subscriptions at once. I intend to only have two or three at any one time (Netflix and Amazon Prime are my mains) so hopefully it's easy and straight forward to cancel the other subscriptions when the need arises.

Antoon

Banned
Good price, but thats still very little variety in the content. I dont care for SW or Simpsons, only National Geo is something Id watch.

Dunki

If I can use VPN in Germany and or get the same movies and series than this is a great price. I will subscribe

Ovek

7Member7
What’s that? Only launching in America this year and only giving a vague “all other major regions in about two years” for the rest of the world whilst simultaneously ripping all Disney movies from Netflix worldwide seems like such a fucking great idea, won’t lead to significantly higher piracy at all will it.

Skyr

If I can use VPN in Germany and or get the same movies and series than this is a great price. I will subscribe

As it's all Disney owned content there should be no licencing issues. So we should get the same content as the US.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
What’s that? Only launching in America this year and only giving a vague “all other major regions in about two years” for the rest of the world whilst simultaneously ripping all Disney movies from Netflix worldwide seems like such a fucking great idea, won’t lead to significantly higher piracy at all will it.
Disney stuff is already on a different streaming service in my country

Pagusas

Elden Member
Looking at their catalogue, I just don’t see anything that would keep me subscribed. I don’t care about the Simpsons. All the Disney movies we like we already own. Just nothing their that looks like it will keep you coming back for more.

Javthusiast

Banned
Price is pretty good. Although they only will be doing it for a year or two max to get people on it and undercut netflix and amazon pricing.

Then when they are releasing all their marvel and star wars series and other movies and have a good subscriber base, they will increase pricing to 9.99 or more.

Nymphae

Banned
I am so tired of subscriptions. Got really tired of paying for Netflix's cultural propaganda, price keeps going up and the content is laughable outside of a couple of shows you can stream for free if you're so inclined. Everything Disney is offering is repulsive to me basically, so this is a hard no for me.

The only one I have is Amazon, and that's because I pay for Prime. Not worth it in Canada for the Video service alone, but I like having access to some stuff that is on there that is hard to find, ie. Unsolved Mysteries.

This past week I have only watched Twitch streams, youtube videos, and my Dragonball DVDs. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having cable or sub services.

Javthusiast

Banned
This past week I have only watched Twitch streams, youtube videos, and my Dragonball DVDs. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not having cable or sub services.

I still have active netflix and amazon prime subscriptions, but same as you I end up watching more twitch and especially youtube videos. xD

Super Mario

Banned
I have no interest in this. However, seeing Netflix having all of the Disney content ripped from them, is not going to help their cause. Disney + Hulu bundle is going to be bad news for Netflix

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
No, I am pretty sure that the first 6 star wars movies were already licenced out to Turner for a decade or so to finance the latest movies (Soylo etc)
Those sw movies will not be part of their streaming service. Iger is probably super pleased by this. /s

Supposedly they bought those rights back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom