• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ will be available starting November 12 for $6.99 a month

No, I am pretty sure that the first 6 star wars movies were already licenced out to Turner for a decade or so to finance the latest movies (Soylo etc)
Those sw movies will not be part of their streaming service. Iger is probably super pleased by this. /s

They clarified that they have amended the contract with Turner. The original 6 SW movies will be there at launch.

I've got kids and will most likely watch a lot of what's on there. Let's not forget that there are plenty of movie studios that Disney owns that a lot of people don't realize.

Codes 208

Who watches that much disney
Disney? Not that much. But it’s been confirmed that The Simpson’s is being added and I’m guessing over time other animated fox sitcoms I watch like American dad, family guy and bobs burgers will be added too.

Hell, if Disney brings back king of the hill I’ll pay just for that

Last edited:

dorkimoe

While it’s. Great price and it launches with the Star Wars show. I don’t need more streaming services.
Have they said if their shows will release all at once or weekly?

Chittagong

Gold Member
And thus begins the fragmentation and slow descent of streaming platforms into madness.

The best way to think about it is disintermediation. The content owners taking over distribution and monetising their content directly. Ultimately, consumers win massively.

Consider how TV and film content was distributed and monetised just recently, and still is, for a little while

1. Licensing to local broadcasters. Local broadcasters would then have a sales organisation to sell advertisements for products that were inserted between the content, to pay for it. Or the state would pay for the content, and collect payments via taxes or license fees. This structure was repeated in each country, involving thousands of people, at the very least.

2. Selling through retail. The content pressed on media, and shipped to the far corners of the world. A retailer would take a cut of the content price to pay for the space, staff and risk for stocking the content. A distributor in every country would have sales staff to handle the retailers locally, and would also take a cut to do so.

3. Licensing for different online services. These services would take a cut of the price to pay for their services and marketing.

4. Selling to theatres. Huge real estate investments with staff and equipment to play the content for people. And usually, local distributors handling the distribution to theatres.

5. Selling to cable and satellite companies. These companies would distribute boxes that they often needed to send an engineer to install. The companies would collect payments for bundles of content, and take a cut for running the operation in each country.

All these intermediaries, structures, devices and physical objects will disappear as content providers begin directly monetising the content. Theatres aside, they never added anything positive for the consumer. On the contrary, they added huge costs and limited availability.

With Netflix, Amazon, Apple and Disney all doing content, distribution and monetisation, the entertainment world is radically simplified, made more efficient (cheaper), and more convenient (immediate global availability).

Weiji

Banned
Glad the rumors of the splitting up their content into separate services each at Netflix prices was not correct. It remains to be seen whether they have enough content here to satiate their audience, but the combination of this many heavy hitting IPs under a single service at a low price is definitely a strong shot at Netflix. Hopefully they will fully utilize that Fox IP they've purchased.

Complain about feminism in Star Wars all you want, Disney is easily ten times less degenerate then most of the garbage flowing across my Netflix recommendations. I've already cancelled Netflix due to the impending price hike / content that makes me physically ill, I look forward to trying this out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
$6.99 is such a democratising pricepoint too. Almost every family can afford 7 bucks a month for their kids. That’s a huge difference to a world where a Sky sub is £60/month and can only be afforded by the rich kids.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Disney will be offering a packaged offer a packaged option for $13usd a month. It will include Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ all together.
The only downside is that Hulu will be the ad-supported version. I hope there is a slightly more expensive option to include the ad-less Hulu.

*EDIT*
I just noticed this article as well, maybe FX will get rolled in to Hulu?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned

Disney will be offering a packaged offer a packaged option for $13usd a month. It will include Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ all together.
The only downside is that Hulu will be the ad-supported version. I hope there is a slightly more expensive option to include the ad-less Hulu.

*EDIT*

dooooooooooooooooooooope

Iorv3th

*EDIT*

Yeah hopefully that option exists. I already pay for adless hulu.

I wonder if Disney+ will support 4k/HDR.

Geki-D

Banned
So what's the word on this for Europe? At that price you'd have to be a bit stupid not to jump in considering Disney nearly own everything these days.

I feel like Netflix is about to get buried.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

$5 a month and $60 for a year. Those fuckers aren’t better than me, I’ll break them.
Mista to Disney

source.gif

Gargus

Banned
Watch your disney movies on netflix while you can before they get pulled for disney.

Personally I dont care about disney+ at all really. Everyone bitched about cable tv packages and such, threw big tantrums about them and about how they cost too much and the whole cut the cord campaign was big. But now people are doing the exact same thing by paying for internet and paying for multiple streaming services. All those cord cutters did was trade one devil for another. And its only going to get worse as more companies create their own service and chop up content even further.

Wife and I keep netflix and the blu ray option since we can get movies on it that arent on any streaming service or even purchaseable like the movie joysticks. Plus we get newer blu ray releases through it also. The blu ray/dvd option alone gives us a huge selection. And we trade other services occasionally. Like we got hbo now for 2 months and we watched GOT final season, 2 seasons of the deuce, watched a couple movies, and now were at the end of euphoria before the time runs out since we canceled the service. There are too many individual services for us to keep a constant subscription to any of them beside netflix.

Doom85

If they included the old stuff like the Disney channel and Mickey cartoons it might be worthwhile.

This would be a big plus, sure some I have on DVD like Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc., but many series have never gotten a home video release like the Aladdin series, most of Kim Possible, Tron Uprising, Proud Family, Even Stevens, etc. And as far as I've seen there's been no legal streaming or download options for those series either so having them come to Disney+ would be sweet.

mckmas8808

Banned
Watch your disney movies on netflix while you can before they get pulled for disney.

Personally I dont care about disney+ at all really. Everyone bitched about cable tv packages and such, threw big tantrums about them and about how they cost too much and the whole cut the cord campaign was big. But now people are doing the exact same thing by paying for internet and paying for multiple streaming services. All those cord cutters did was trade one devil for another. And its only going to get worse as more companies create their own service and chop up content even further.

Wife and I keep netflix and the blu ray option since we can get movies on it that arent on any streaming service or even purchaseable like the movie joysticks. Plus we get newer blu ray releases through it also. The blu ray/dvd option alone gives us a huge selection. And we trade other services occasionally. Like we got hbo now for 2 months and we watched GOT final season, 2 seasons of the deuce, watched a couple movies, and now were at the end of euphoria before the time runs out since we canceled the service. There are too many individual services for us to keep a constant subscription to any of them beside netflix.

The bolded is incorrect. Most people are paying for broadband anyway, so no need to add in that cost. Plus all of these services are month to month. None of them are bundles where you have to sign up for a year or you get fined for cutting your service early with stupid early termination fees.

Plus you can turn each service on and off as you see fit. You can turn on Netflix for 2 months if you want to watch Stranger Things 3, When They See Us, and Ozark Season 2. Then when you finish it all, just turn off your membership until, they have more stuff on there you want to watch. They'll even keep your account up to date with all the things you saved when you sign back up. I see you are doing that now with HBO, so how is it trade one devil for the other. It's totally up to us consumers now.

This is a completely customer-friendly approach nowadays. Especially compared to the days of Cable Devils.

The bolded is incorrect. Most people are paying for broadband anyway, so no need to add in that cost. Plus all of these services are month to month. None of them are bundles where you have to sign up for a year or you get fined for cutting your service early with stupid early termination fees.

Plus you can turn each service on and off as you see fit. You can turn on Netflix for 2 months if you want to watch Stranger Things 3, When They See Us, and Ozark Season 2. Then when you finish it all, just turn off your membership until, they have more stuff on there you want to watch. They'll even keep your account up to date with all the things you saved when you sign back up. I see you are doing that now with HBO, so how is it trade one devil for the other. It's totally up to us consumers now.

This is a completely customer-friendly approach nowadays. Especially compared to the days of Cable Devils.

We've lived this way for like a decade now. We've gotten cable a couple times for football season but even that was a good 5-6 years ago now. When times are good we pick up HBO, Amazon, etc and when things are tight we we drop them off. Netflix and Hulu are our base and even with Amazon and HBO added in its less than a decent cable package. Sports is the only thing that kept me going back and I can stream 90% of what I want to watch there too.

iconmaster

Banned
Media giant, said get away
Media giant, listen what I say
Don't come streaming down to my Roku
I'll re-up Netflix before I'll pay for you
I don't need your joy machines
I don't need your remade scenes
Everything you've monetized
Has lost its power to surprise
Now Disney, get away from me
Media giant, Mickey let me be.

FStubbs

dooooooooooooooooooooope

Netflix is pretty much a dead man walking if this launches at that price. Bigger than that - this thing could make a lot more people cut the cord, because live sports were the one thing that traditional cable could still hang their hats on.

We'll see how Disney deals with Comcast et all giving them the Netflix throttling treatment.

Why is there no uproar on a paid digital service having ads? That shit needs to die off with cable tv.

With stuff like Disney+ and Hulu, you're basically paying for cable TV without the ... well, cable TV. Think of it as you're paying $13 a month for just these channels which you can stream over the net.

Last edited:

Fbh

This.
Having all of these services might be a bit annoying but I don't think it's as terrible as everyone says. As long as you don't have some uncontrollable urge to watch every single big show the very second its available you don't need to be subscribed to all of these services at once.

Just wait for a service to get a few shows you want, then subscribe for a month or two to watch them and once there's nothing new that you find interesting you just unsubscribe and take your time to look at what the other services are offering. It's still way cheaper than cable and you don't have to deal with contracts and termination fees.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
I will wait to see what the Hulu and ESPN+ bundle looks like, but will definitely get at least Disney+ for the Marvel content.

Paasei

If the old Disney shows are on, I might try it as soon as it comes to Europe/Netherlands. Been willing to watch the original Ducktales, Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck again, damn those shows were great.
Marvel and Nat Geo are great bonuses if the latter has the proper documentary shows.

mckmas8808

Banned
If the old Disney shows are on, I might try it as soon as it comes to Europe/Netherlands. Been willing to watch the original Ducktales, Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck again, damn those shows were great.
Marvel and Nat Geo are great bonuses if the latter has the proper documentary shows.

Reports are....Nat Geo will have a boatload of documentary shows. I can't see how Disney+ can fail really.

sol_bad

of course they will have ads. They would be shooting themselves in the foot by not having any

With stuff like Disney+ and Hulu, you're basically paying for cable TV without the ... well, cable TV. Think of it as you're paying $13 a month for just these channels which you can stream over the net.

Can people please do some research before commenting?
Hulu has for a very long time had an ad version and an ad free version. Hulu had free to air episodes on day 1 from ABC, Fox, The Cw and CBS, this was in the early 2010's when streaming was still growing, Netflix didn't have any day 1 shows streaming at the time. Initially Hulu was completely free but the ad revenue wasn't enough and so a monthly fee was introduced.
An ad free version was introduced and has been around for at least 4-5 years now. The ad version is cheaper, the ad free version is more expensive.

sol_bad

I'm actually curious to see what the new Ducktales show is like. I have no way of currently watching it.
^_^

FStubbs

Hulu has for a very long time had an ad version and an ad free version. Hulu had free to air episodes on day 1 from ABC, Fox, The Cw and CBS, this was in the early 2010's when streaming was still growing, Netflix didn't have any day 1 shows streaming at the time. Initially Hulu was completely free but the ad revenue wasn't enough and so a monthly fee was introduced.
An ad free version was introduced and has been around for at least 4-5 years now. The ad version is cheaper, the ad free version is more expensive.

I know that. That doesn't disqualify my comment.

manfestival

I watched Hulu almost on day 1 and have it even to this day. Get off your high horse and stop being so assumptive. Also does not disqualify what I stated either.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I watched Hulu almost on day 1 and have it even to this day. Get off your high horse and stop being so assumptive. Also does not disqualify what I stated either.

I'm responding to your 2 sentence post with zero details as to why you posted what you posted.
No need for the aggressiveness re high horse, next time write a more detailed post and people won't "assume" things.

manfestival

I'm responding to your 2 sentence post with zero details as to why you posted what you posted.
No need for the aggressiveness re high horse, next time write a more detailed post and people won't "assume" things.
You reap what you sow. How about you stop jumping to conclusions and make a more thoughtful response instead.

Paasei

I'm actually curious to see what the new Ducktales show is like. I have no way of currently watching it.
^_^
Its animation style completely wiped my interest. Can't tell you if the show itself is good because of it, though.

So many new cartoons that have this kind of simplistic uninspiring art style really don't do them any good.

Reports are....Nat Geo will have a boatload of documentary shows. I can't see how Disney+ can fail really.
Now that's an interesting report if true.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Disney should team up with Warner Brothers and get the Harry Potter movies on the service as well.

Warner will have HBO Max as their own streaming service, they won't be teaming up with Disney.
3 of the 5 major studios will have their own streaming service within the next 12 months. Disney, Warner and Universal.
Netflix really is going down if they don't do something, especially if Paramount and Columbia team up with Warner or Universal.

mckmas8808

Banned
Warner will have HBO Max as their own streaming service, they won't be teaming up with Disney.
3 of the 5 major studios will have their own streaming service within the next 12 months. Disney, Warner and Universal.
Netflix really is going down if they don't do something, especially if Paramount and Columbia team up with Warner or Universal.

Netflix will be fine as long as they have good original programming. What they can't do is keep going up in price though.

Top Bottom