• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ will be available starting November 12 for $6.99 a month

sol_bad

Netflix will be fine as long as they have good original programming. What they can't do is keep going up in price though.

Don't want to go off topic too much but they have some great shows which I love like Stranger Things, Dark, Kingdom, Russian Doll and Altered Carbon, hopefully Witcher will be good too. I am concerned that they seem to be a bit happier with cancelling shows that aren't finished. They really need to step things up on the movie side though, some are good and others are god awful direct to DVD crap.

On the price side of things, my understanding is that they still are not making profit on their business. I have no idea how they are going to continue operating when they are spending billions of dollars on original programming. For the billions they are spending, the quality just isn't there yet.

Exciting times ahead for me as an Australian. I never cared for cable as we have only ever really had one provider and it was overpriced. I also am not fond of scheduled programming and like to just watch things whenever I want. I know there are DVR's for cable television but then you have to set the thing up and fast forward ads etc. bleh

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Don't want to go off topic too much but they have some great shows which I love like Stranger Things, Dark, Kingdom, Russian Doll and Altered Carbon, hopefully Witcher will be good too. I am concerned that they seem to be a bit happier with cancelling shows that aren't finished. They really need to step things up on the movie side though, some are good and others are god awful direct to DVD crap.

On the price side of things, my understanding is that they still are not making profit on their business. I have no idea how they are going to continue operating when they are spending billions of dollars on original programming. For the billions they are spending, the quality just isn't there yet.

Exciting times ahead for me as an Australian. I never cared for cable as we have only ever really had one provider and it was overpriced. I also am not fond of scheduled programming and like to just watch things whenever I want. I know there are DVR's for cable television but then you have to set the thing up and fast forward ads etc. bleh

YO!!!!!! The bolded is so true! It's my ONE thing I hate about Netflix. It's like you own the IP! How can you not see this through?!?! I hope Disney+ and HBO Max will force them to hang onto their TV series that are okay to good.

YO!!!!!! The bolded is so true! It's my ONE thing I hate about Netflix. It's like you own the IP! How can you not see this through?!?! I hope Disney+ and HBO Max will force them to hang onto their TV series that are okay to good.

i mean i've gotta assume it's due to a low number of views or crappy ratings for the shows that get cancelled. which is mind boggling as they seem to buy a new adam sandler movie every year

FStubbs

Basically? Netflix is screwed. The entire industry is going to starve them of content they haven't produced themselves in favor of their own launchers. Eventually you'll see one of the bigger players buy Netflix and add their original programming to their portfolio of content. Might even be Disney.

mckmas8808

Basically? Netflix is screwed. The entire industry is going to starve them of content they haven't produced themselves in favor of their own launchers. Eventually you'll see one of the bigger players buy Netflix and add their original programming to their portfolio of content. Might even be Disney.

God I hope not! Netflix has all their original content in 4K/HDR. No one in the industry is doing this.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
meh there is nothing on D+ that interests me. if i wanted Hulu i would be subbed now. none of these new movies really warrant a rewatch, it's all pop trash.

i like Netflix cos they have a wide variety and a library built up over the years. there are all kinds of things to see. they have a lot of old TV shows and stuff that will never be on this.

gatti-man

meh there is nothing on D+ that interests me. if i wanted Hulu i would be subbed now. none of these new movies really warrant a rewatch, it's all pop trash.

i like Netflix cos they have a wide variety and a library built up over the years. there are all kinds of things to see. they have a lot of old TV shows and stuff that will never be on this.
If you consider Disney pop trash but Netflix to have a wide variety of non trash your taste is objectively bad. Netflix content compared to Disney content reviews lower, makes less revenue, couldn’t ever rival anyone in movie theaters, and wouldn’t garner much attention at all if it wasn’t for the fact that Netflix is crazy cheap so people standards are lower. Even the absolute best of Netflix can’t even hold a candle to middle of the pack HBO much less Disney.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wonder if their will be an amazon channel for it. It’s nice having all my streaming running through one UI (hbo, pbs, bbc, showtime, and of course prime)

Quasicat

The only thing that scares me with this announcement is that the home video market will start to slow up. At this price, I would
Imagine many people will get Disney+ and stop buying physical movies. There’s already a handful of movies and TV shows that are only available digitally.

TTOOLL

Netflix will be fine as long as they have good original programming. What they can't do is keep going up in price though.

It's a shame they haven't had a hit in quite a while...Their original programming is pretty weak imo. I stopped paying for Netflix this year, Stranger Things 3 is the only thing that interests me there.

Kenpachii

This will make a huge dent into netflix. I can see loads of people dropping there subscription for disney. It's a no brainer if you got young kids and even older people like my dad will want to subscribe towards it and that for 6 bucks.

Netflix just isn't having much. Unless you like there garbo series.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

It's a shame they haven't had a hit in quite a while...Their original programming is pretty weak imo. I stopped paying for Netflix this year, Stranger Things 3 is the only thing that interests me there.

Nah...they still have great original programming. It's just not possible to have 25 hit shows or movies every year. And for some reason that's what Netflix is trying to do. They make too many shows and movies, instead of taken a more HBO like approach and measure before they cut. They seem to cut first and then find out they have too much rope and measure afterward.

- Their Roma movie won 3 Oscars last year (it only cost $15 million to make)
- The Kominsky Method won 2 Golden Globe awards this year.
- "When They See Us" has been nominated for 5 Emmys this year
- Bodyguard has been nominated this year for an Emmy this year
- Ozark has been nominated for 5 or 6 Emmys this year.

I wish going forward, Netflix tries to spend more money per project, instead of having 100,000 projects with no direction hoping something sticks.

JCK75

I could not wait to throw my money at them, watched the Mandalorian this morning and it's the best thing from Starwars I've seen in 20 years, before I left for work threw up Moana just to witness it in 4K HDR and it was incredible.. (had to get the visual eye candy part over with because I see myself for the rest of the week watching old stuff such as Gargoyles, the X-men TV show I grew up on and Mr. Boogedy which I've not seen since I was a child.

cryptoadam

Banned
Working great so far oh my iPhone and PS4. Pretty solid deal, imo. Went with annual sub pricing

Watching Age of Ultron right now, been forever since I’ve seen it

How is the PS4 app? Going to D/L it to my android and probably cast mainly but will probably use the PS4 as a back up when I don't want to play around with my phone.

mckmas8808

I could not wait to throw my money at them, watched the Mandalorian this morning and it's the best thing from Starwars I've seen in 20 years, before I left for work threw up Moana just to witness it in 4K HDR and it was incredible.. (had to get the visual eye candy part over with because I see myself for the rest of the week watching old stuff such as Gargoyles, the X-men TV show I grew up on and Mr. Boogedy which I've not seen since I was a child.

Was The Mandalorian really that good?

JCK75

Was The Mandalorian really that good?

We only have one Episode, but that Episode did everything right, it really satisfied my inner starwars fan in a way nothing else since the original trilogy has done. I mean it's possible it goes to shit in later episodes but judging on the 40 minutes, it was incredible.

I think the group that will love this service the most are kids who grew up in the 70's, 80's and 90's and kind of want to revisit some shows and movies we grew up on that are not really found anywhere.

They even brought back Gummi Bears adventures which I'd long forgotten about but loved the hell out of when I was a kid. I love that they curated in archives by the decade they came out, so I can pop into the 1980's and just go nuts on nostalgia.

mckmas8808

We only have one Episode, but that Episode did everything right, it really satisfied my inner starwars fan in a way nothing else since the original trilogy has done. I mean it's possible it goes to shit in later episodes but judging on the 40 minutes, it was incredible.

I think the group that will love this service the most are kids who grew up in the 70's, 80's and 90's and kind of want to revisit some shows and movies we grew up on that are not really found anywhere.

They even brought back Gummi Bears adventures which I'd long forgotten about but loved the hell out of when I was a kid. I love that they curated in archives by the decade they came out, so I can pop into the 1980's and just go nuts on nostalgia.

OH! I thought they were going to do the Netflix thing where all shows are released on day one. I was wondering how you watched 10+ hours of TV that fast lol.

G-Bus

Banned

Just signed up and browsed around. Definitely agree with this. Born in 87 and the nostalgia here makes me a bit giddy. Fucking GARGOYLES! I had to of been 7 or so the last time I watched this. They got the good X-Men, Spider-man series. Darkwing duck!

Didn't really think about any of this stuff. I just knew they had The Simpsons and that was enough for me to pull the trigger.

Damn near perfect timing as I have a daughter that's 7 months. Should be a lot of fun watching some of this with her when she's a bit older.

Just signed up and browsed around. Definitely agree with this. Born in 87 and the nostalgia here makes me a bit giddy. Fucking GARGOYLES! I had to of been 7 or so the last time I watched this. They got the good X-Men, Spider-man series. Darkwing duck!

Didn't really think about any of this stuff. I just knew they had The Simpsons and that was enough for me to pull the trigger.

Damn near perfect timing as I have a daughter that's 7 months. Should be a lot of fun watching some of this with her when she's a bit older.

yeah I’m stoked to run thru animated X-Men and Spidey series I loved

mckmas8808

Mine is about 1 month old and I've been thinking about watching 90s cartoons with her too. I'm so scared that she'll think our stuff is terrible though. I would hate to ban her from the house for a week. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Getting this the minute I get home today. They don’t have legacy duck tales in this do they? The after school lineups from the early 90’s were my childhood.

Getting this the minute I get home today. They don’t have legacy duck tales in this do they? The after school lineups from the early 90’s were my childhood.

straight from my screen

annnnd it’s upside down

fail

Edit

fixed
TyGlz5d.jpg

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Certain verizon customers get a year for free of disney plus by the way. From what I read exsisting customers are included on several sites stories about this. I'll give it a shot when its available and see if I am not since I am existing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
can't believe they fucked up the Simpsons LOL

All 30 seasons of The Simpsons are available for fans to stream on Disney+ starting today, but there’s one glaring problem: the aspect ratio is off.

Every episode of The Simpsons is currently streaming in a 16:9 ratio, meaning it looks stretched and shots are cropped to fit a widescreen format. There isn’t an option to change the aspect ratio, either. This ultimately means there’s a plethora of gags from the first 20 Simpsons seasons that don’t land because the cropping prevents the joke from being fulfilled.

Last edited:

NYR

I am absolutely blown away by the 4K/Dolby Vision streaming quality of Disney+. The Audio and Video is better than the 4K Blu Rays I own of the exact same movie - Avengers End Game is a perfect example, I don't know how they did it but the quality and colors are way more vibrant, audio is on point as well, just seems to be a better mix?

I am honestly blown away at the quality. Netflix is fucked if they continue to offer their bland 4K offering at a higher price point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom