• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ will be available starting November 12 for $6.99 a month

mckmas8808

Banned
I am absolutely blown away by the 4K/Dolby Vision streaming quality of Disney+. The Audio and Video is better than the 4K Blu Rays I own of the exact same movie - Avengers End Game is a perfect example, I don't know how they did it but the quality and colors are way more vibrant, audio is on point as well, just seems to be a better mix?

I am honestly blown away at the quality. Netflix is fucked if they continue to offer their bland 4K offering at a higher price point.

Does your TV support Dolby Vision?

NYR

Does your TV support Dolby Vision?
Yep! I'm using Apple TV 4K with an LG OLED E6. The Apple TV 4K seems to be the best option for me, I tested it out on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S as neither support Dolby Vision (technically the Xbox does but it doesn't support my TV's version of the firmware of Dolby Vision, it's a known issue and neither LG or Microsoft will fix it).

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Loving the selection on this. I gave up Netflix and Hulu 3 years ago due to them losing most AA tier stuff and never finding much to watch.

So far day 1 I have found several Disney movies I haven’t seen (and want too) and dozens more thst are memories from my childhood. Instant lock for at least 6 months for me.

Last edited:

Ecto311

Any word on pokemon sword and shield anime coming to this service. Google shows me that the anime has been on XD prior and I don't want to fuck with the DVR to find it and record it.

Dural

Signed up for the free trial. Watched an episode of Rescue Rangers, the quality of it was great but it's cropped to 16:9. I really liked The Mandalorian, might be the reason to keep the sub.

I am a bit disappointed in the selection though, I was expecting some classic ABC and Fox shows from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. I also thought there would be 20th Century Fox and Touchstone Pictures movies. As it is, I have pretty much everything that's on there that I would want on my Plex server.

ManaByte

Signed up for the free trial. Watched an episode of Rescue Rangers, the quality of it was great but it's cropped to 16:9. I really liked The Mandalorian, might be the reason to keep the sub.

I am a bit disappointed in the selection though, I was expecting some classic ABC and Fox shows from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. I also thought there would be 20th Century Fox and Touchstone Pictures movies. As it is, I have pretty much everything that's on there that I would want on my Plex server.

The problem with sitcoms is even if they're on a network they're usually not made by that network. Married With Children was on FOX, but it's a Sony show.

Last edited:

Dural

The problem with sitcoms is even if they're on a network they're usually not made by that network. Married With Children was on FOX, but it's a Sony show.

Yeah, I know about some that weirdness but there are a lot of shows Disney owns that I figured would be part of it. Just look at this list;

It looks to me like the movie selection has been catered to a younger audience; they have the Home Alone movies, Avatar, and Star Wars from 20th Century Fox but no Die Hard, Alien, or Predator.

ManaByte

Yeah, I know about some that weirdness but there are a lot of shows Disney owns that I figured would be part of it. Just look at this list;

It looks to me like the movie selection has been catered to a younger audience; they have the Home Alone movies, Avatar, and Star Wars from 20th Century Fox but no Die Hard, Alien, or Predator.

They always said no R-rated content on Disney+. The R-rated stuff goes to Hulu.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The biggest negative I have on this service so far is when it comes to when you search for movies. A lot of big names that are Locked on other streaming services are shown in the search but upon clicking were given a date when they will arrive on the platform.

I was browsing my childhood and tried to watch cool runnings. That won’t be there until January 2020. There were a couple movies locked until 2021 on there. Most seem to be unlocked by mid 2020. disney has to be kicking themselves for letting Netflix take their catalog for this long. Especially Star Wars 8 until dec 26. I’m sure they could have got subs for pre Star Wars 9 hype.

edit : also on the ps4 app, the rewind and fast forward with dpad left and right seem to be a bit janky. Jumps you way forward in the movie to weird spots well past 30 seconds has been my experience.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I finally got the chance to watch The Mandalorian. It was great, better than I was expecting. Humorously, as others have pointed out on the forum, it really is better than The Last Jedi. Star Wars has its first real canonical live action antihero.

ManaByte

I finally got the chance to watch The Mandalorian. It was great, better than I was expecting. Humorously, as others have pointed out on the forum, it really is better than The Last Jedi. Star Wars has its first real canonical live action antihero.

But is he really an antihero based on that ending?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
But is he really an antihero based on that ending?

He kills people he could easily disable instead. He's certainly not a white-hatted hero so far, at least in my opinion.

As for the ending specifically, it would take even the worst of villains to allow an infant to be gunned down.

mckmas8808

Banned
The biggest negative I have on this service so far is when it comes to when you search for movies. A lot of big names that are Locked on other streaming services are shown in the search but upon clicking were given a date when they will arrive on the platform.

I was browsing my childhood and tried to watch cool runnings. That won’t be there until January 2020. There were a couple movies locked until 2021 on there. Most seem to be unlocked by mid 2020. disney has to be kicking themselves for letting Netflix take their catalog for this long. Especially Star Wars 8 until dec 26. I’m sure they could have got subs for pre Star Wars 9 hype.

edit : also on the ps4 app, the rewind and fast forward with dpad left and right seem to be a bit janky. Jumps you way forward in the movie to weird spots well past 30 seconds has been my experience.

I love that they at least tell you when the future stuff is coming. My problem with some other streaming apps is that they don't even know when they'll get something, so you aren't sure what to look forward to. Plus I like the speed of the PS4 app with the FF and Rewind. Better than Roku's.

Yep! I'm using Apple TV 4K with an LG OLED E6. The Apple TV 4K seems to be the best option for me, I tested it out on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S as neither support Dolby Vision (technically the Xbox does but it doesn't support my TV's version of the firmware of Dolby Vision, it's a known issue and neither LG or Microsoft will fix it).

Cool. I tested it on my PS4 Pro (it's connected to my Receiver with 4K and HDR supported) against my Roku (on 4K with no HDR) and MY GOD is the difference 100% worth every freaking penny. I never knew HDR was this much of a game changer until Disney+ and playing Death Stranding in the same night.

Within a few years, HDR will be as big of a game-changer as 4K is now. Once all content makers understand the color science with using it and it comes built into all HDTVs over the size of 32".

Last edited:
Reactions: NYR

cryptoadam

Banned
signed up, scrolled around, didn't watch anything. Realized that I will probably never if rarely ever use it. Will do the trial, maybe even a month but I am not a big TV watcher.

Kagey K

Banned
Damn they filled most of the catalogue. It’s going to be hard for them to add stuff when there are hardly any gaps missing.

There is way more 4K UHD stuff then I expected and they cleaned up thEI oldest shows to make them seem modern.

Cropped Simpson’s kind of sucks, but I will take cropped Simpson’s over no Simpsons. I forgot how classic those first few seasons were because I got so tired of them as a kid. There was no filler or waste in Season 1 even if it was poorly animated and voiced.

So, having gone through the whole catalog of movies and tv, I'm impressed for the most part aside from one thing.

What. The fuck. Is the deal with them showing shows and movies that wont be available until 2021?
Like, why is there a thumbnail for me to click on then?

Can anyone explain this in a way that isnt just disney falsely inflating the size of their catalog? I can understand it for newer movies like lady and the tramp, but old ass movies like adventures in babysitting I need to be hyped for, YEARS in advance? I'd rather go buy the dvd for 2 bucks on amazon.

Anyways, other than that minor complaint, amazing service. I like it a lot! I hope the rest of their original programming is even a quarter as good as the mandalorian.

Yup the syndication version has been 16:9 for a long time. It’s stupid Fox like what they did to Buffy.
The buffy conversion is legend in its fuckery of the source material. Such a horrible waste of money and goodwill from the fans. Literally the worst conversion I've ever seen.

Simpsons is bad but not THAT bad.

You can request movies and tv shows (also new features).

I expect the majority of requests to be Spider-man, Hulk, and Muppet related. Basically the IP that Disney owns, but some of the previous work was distributed by someone else.

Catphish

Please tell me simpsons won't be some 16:9 upscaled bullshit for the earlier seasons
I think it is. My daughter watched an episode from season 5 earlier today and the picture felt zoomed-in.

I just signed up today to give it a spin, so it was the first and only one I've seen so far.

Kagey K

Banned
So, having gone through the whole catalog of movies and tv, I'm impressed for the most part aside from one thing.

What. The fuck. Is the deal with them showing shows and movies that wont be available until 2021?
Like, why is there a thumbnail for me to click on then?

Can anyone explain this in a way that isnt just disney falsely inflating the size of their catalog? I can understand it for newer movies like lady and the tramp, but old ass movies like adventures in babysitting I need to be hyped for, YEARS in advance? I'd rather go buy the dvd for 2 bucks on amazon.

Anyways, other than that minor complaint, amazing service. I like it a lot! I hope the rest of their original programming is even a quarter as good as the mandalorian.

It looks to me that they used the same title cards for the US and Canada.

Canada has stuff like Infinity War, Black Panther, Mighty Ducks, Adventures in Babysitting, so I think they posted the title cards up for both services, as a shortcut, and then explained it once you click it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I asked for House of Mouse. Sure it was just old cartoon compilations, but I loved it regardless for its theming.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Anyone else having issues with tire TV stick? The thing just doesn't want to work right. It either defaults to 1080 or when it sometimes does manage to do 4k and vision it just ends up screwing up and being a black image.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think I am going to cancel it. Its great for kids and nostalgia. But after a few days I have barely watched it. I think it will be popular, but Netflix doesn't have much to worry about. If you don't like Marvel/Star wars its not going to match what Netflix offers. You will never get a Narcos or Bo Jack or Stranger Things on this.

Don't get me wrong, like I said kids will love it, all the big Disney blockbusters, and some original Marvel/SW stuff will bring in subs, but it won't replace Netflix and if they start raising the price its going hurt the service.

mckmas8808

Banned
I think I am going to cancel it. Its great for kids and nostalgia. But after a few days I have barely watched it. I think it will be popular, but Netflix doesn't have much to worry about. If you don't like Marvel/Star wars its not going to match what Netflix offers. You will never get a Narcos or Bo Jack or Stranger Things on this.

Don't get me wrong, like I said kids will love it, all the big Disney blockbusters, and some original Marvel/SW stuff will bring in subs, but it won't replace Netflix and if they start raising the price its going hurt the service.

They most definitely will get a show the size of Stranger Things on it. Just give it time.

Thankfully they announced that early next year you'll be able to choose which aspect ratio you watch classic Simpsons in. The 16:9 crop hides some visual gags.

cryptoadam

Banned
They most definitely will get a show the size of Stranger Things on it. Just give it time.

Size yes, but type of show nope. Disney won't get these more adult orientated shows like Netflix has. You won't ever see a Narcos on Disney+, or a BoJack.

Its just the nature of Disney+ as a service. If you have kids its great, if you love Marvel/SW its good, if you have nostalgia its great. But it won't have the same type of originals that Netflix produces. Never going to get an Orange is the New Black, or House of Cards, etc...

Its just a different service, which is why I think Netflix will still remain king, and Disney+ will be a good addition to Netflix but not a replacement.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well .... everyone should have known before release there would be no shows like Narcos or Bojack on Disney+.

:messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

I knew it would be kids fare, but after actually having the service for a few days I can see its not going to knock Netflix off its perch.

I am not shitting on Disney+. If you love Disney/Marvel/SW or have nostalgia for old cartoons its great. Kids will love it. But Netflix is king because of its original content that covers kids/teens/adults, hits all geners and is much more varied than what Disney+ is offering.

Its a good complimentary service. I actually think HBONow might have a better shot at challenging Netflix than Disney+, depending on original content. Disney+ will be great for kids and Marvel fans and nostalgia which will be probably enough subs for Disney. But Netflix is not going to be killed by Disney+.

mckmas8808

Banned
Size yes, but type of show nope. Disney won't get these more adult orientated shows like Netflix has. You won't ever see a Narcos on Disney+, or a BoJack.

Its just the nature of Disney+ as a service. If you have kids its great, if you love Marvel/SW its good, if you have nostalgia its great. But it won't have the same type of originals that Netflix produces. Never going to get an Orange is the New Black, or House of Cards, etc...

Its just a different service, which is why I think Netflix will still remain king, and Disney+ will be a good addition to Netflix but not a replacement.

What about the Disney+ bundle where you can get Hulu added for a total of $10 a month? And Disney has already said that they are putting their mature shows on Hulu going forward, since they own Hulu too.

ManaByte

People who don't know about account security and data breaches are crying about D+ accounts being hacked, thanks to ZDNet clickbait.

Basically people matched up a bunch of email addresses with passwords in rainbow tables from data breaches and got into D+ accounts and started selling the "accounts" (really just the emails and PWs).

So instead of being proactive and changing your password when a data breach happens, idiots are screaming that Disney's security is lax when it's really their own stupidity that's at fault.

This message brought to you by https://haveibeenpwned.com

sol_bad

I knew it would be kids fare, but after actually having the service for a few days I can see its not going to knock Netflix off its perch.

I am not shitting on Disney+. If you love Disney/Marvel/SW or have nostalgia for old cartoons its great. Kids will love it. But Netflix is king because of its original content that covers kids/teens/adults, hits all geners and is much more varied than what Disney+ is offering.

Its a good complimentary service. I actually think HBONow might have a better shot at challenging Netflix than Disney+, depending on original content. Disney+ will be great for kids and Marvel fans and nostalgia which will be probably enough subs for Disney. But Netflix is not going to be killed by Disney+.

If HBO Max can put up Warner's entire history of film on the service, they automatically win the streaming wars for me. That's literally hundreds of films that I haven't seen that I could watch. Add their original content on top of that and bobs ya uncle. Currently I'm signed up to 7 streaming services, Disney+ will be the 8th when I get home. Now with Apple TV+, HBO Max and Peacock coming, I may have to start unsubbing and resubbing based on available content.

Apple TV+ for example has nothing I'm interested in right now, but as soon as Servant hits the service I want to see it. It's a weekly release though so do I sign up for 3 months or wait until January to sub for a month. Yarg.

*EDIT*
I really hope that Hulu gets Fox's entire movie catalogue too. Absolutely no announcement with what's happening with heir catalogue, annoying me so much.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
What about the Disney+ bundle where you can get Hulu added for a total of $10 a month? And Disney has already said that they are putting their mature shows on Hulu going forward, since they own Hulu too.

Canada here, no Hulu for me, but I do have Adventures in Babysitting though.

Hulu+Disney+ could possibly challenge Netflix if it got the more mature FOX content and varied originals, but alas most of the world won't have access until Disney decides to set Hulu free for the rest of us in the world.

cryptoadam

Banned
If HBO Max can put up Warner's entire history of film on the service, they automatically win the streaming wars for me. That's literally hundreds of films that I haven't seen that I could watch. Add their original content on top of that and bobs ya uncle. Currently I'm signed up to 7 streaming services, Disney+ will be the 8th when I get home. Now with Apple TV+, HBO Max and Peacock coming, I may have to start unsubbing and resubbing based on available content.

Apple TV+ for example has nothing I'm interested in right now, but as soon as Servant hits the service I want to see it. It's a weekly release though so do I sign up for 3 months or wait until January to sub for a month. Yarg.

One thing about Disney+ back catalogue, you thought it would be good but in reality its not. Their old movies remind you that Disney was really shitty at live action movies until they got Marvel.

I mean how many classics are on that list, that outside of nostalgia for 30-40+ year olds is there?

But I don't want to come off to negative on Disney+. It has its place for kids and Marvel fans. The app runs great, quick, fast, easy to use. It scratches an itch, but just not for me.

sol_bad

One thing about Disney+ back catalogue, you thought it would be good but in reality its not. Their old movies remind you that Disney was really shitty at live action movies until they got Marvel.

I mean how many classics are on that list, that outside of nostalgia for 30-40+ year olds is there?

But I don't want to come off to negative on Disney+. It has its place for kids and Marvel fans. The app runs great, quick, fast, easy to use. It scratches an itch, but just not for me.

Disney have always been average at making live action films. You get some good stuff like POTC, Bridge to Terabithia and the National Treasure films but mostly it's bad yeah. I can't begin to understand why Remember The Titans has a bad Metacritic score, I remember it being good. Considering the quality of their films has been improving over the last decade and a half, it boggles my mind why there are so many Disney haters today.

People who don't know about account security and data breaches are crying about D+ accounts being hacked, thanks to ZDNet clickbait.

Basically people matched up a bunch of email addresses with passwords in rainbow tables from data breaches and got into D+ accounts and started selling the "accounts" (really just the emails and PWs).

So instead of being proactive and changing your password when a data breach happens, idiots are screaming that Disney's security is lax when it's really their own stupidity that's at fault.

This message brought to you by https://haveibeenpwned.com

True, but they should still have 2FA.

*EDIT*
I really hope that Hulu gets Fox's entire movie catalogue too. Absolutely no announcement with what's happening with heir catalogue, annoying me so much.

I have mentioned somewhere else that Warner's library is, to me, superior to Disney+Fox. That's why I think Disney, through Hulu, should move to reacquire Miramax's library of films. It would be good for Warner to acquire them too and make their library even more enticing, but it might be hard because Being is wanting part ownership post sale hence why everyone walked out.

Last edited:

MalcomseX

Banned
I let my trial end and chose not to sign up. At this point it's not worth the money. I'll use another free trial in a month and watch the rest of Mandalorian. This service is way too niche for my tastes, which itself isn't a problem if the niche content is good and unique, but the majority of it is old stuff I either have no interest in or already watched. I can't believe they launched with so little new interesting movies/shows.

Doesn't help that the apps are buggy as shit. They had Continue Watching for an hour and it hasn't been there since. They don't deserve money for what is clearly an open beta.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

That is why they will release...

Touchstone+

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

Top Bottom