• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disneyland's Tomorrowland - Then and Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
SaveDisney.org has posted a very cool photo comparasion editorial that showcases what Disneyland's old tomorrowland used to look like, and compares them to what it looks like now.

http://www.savedisney.com/news/disneyland/tl/tl_ss061104.1.asp

Obviously, it takes a slant aganit the current version. It's not unfounded though. When Tomorrowland was remodeled in 1998 a lot of people absolutly hated the new design. I've never had a chance to see the old version, though from the photos it looks a lot like what Disney World's old Tomorrowland used to look like.

The new version reminds me a lot of Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris (basically, Tomorrowland with a heavy Verne theme). Except that it looks good in Paris, and not as much in California. In Florida, they did not go for this design when they remodeled Tomorrowland in the mid-90s. Instead, they went for a retro-future Buck Rogers style instead. I love it, it's a timeless sci-fi look of the future from the past. I'm pretty sure most people will agree it looks nicer than the stark white design of the first WDW Tomorrowland.

Tritroid

Jesus, whoever redesigned Tomorrowland needs to be fired immediately...if not executed. How does something like that actually get approved by the board?

Tritroid said:
Jesus, whoever redesigned Tomorrowland needs to be fired immediately...if not executed. How does something like that actually get approved by the board?

It's not as amazingly horrible as the editorial makes it look. I was there a month ago. I don't understand how the same design concept worked so well at Disneyland Paris (yes I've been there and I've seen it) flopped at Disneyland.

Tritroid

Well the only 'Tomorrowland' I've seen is the one in DisneyWorld, and it resembles the older version that used to be in DisneyLand. It has the same type of rocket thing in the center with the twirling subunit rockets rotating around it. If I remember right they also had the monorail predominately featured which was probably an attempt to make it look like the 'People Mover' from DisneyLand. Either way, it turned out looking pretty kickass imo.

But this redesigned TomorrowLand is crap. It doesn't even look futuristic. I wonder how long it'll take them to redesign it again because of lack of appeal from the public.

jett

D-Member
Sucks that they changed it...I had no idea. I've only been to the old Tomorrowland in DL, it was probably my favorite area of the theme park.

There's just something about the newer look that does just seem...off, for lack of a better world.

I much prefer the DW Tomorrowland.

However, favorite areas from DW through the years:
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Communicore (I think that was the name) in Epcot Center

aparisi2274

The sad thing is that Tomorrowland has like no rides left in it right now. I mean Spacemountain has been closed since 03 to make way for Spacemountain 2.0 for DL's 50th anniversary. They had some kind of rocket cars that were shut down. I think the only ride there is Star TOurs, and hell I saw it so many times in Florida, that I skipped right over it. Its a shame, but I think disney needs to adopt the policy of major amusement parks around the country, and that is to have a new ride in place every year. This way it will keep the customers coming back. Instead Disney has rides that are over 30 years old and have never been updated (ie. PotC, Haunted Mansion, It's A Small World). Although at WDW has shut down Small World for about a year to completely overhaul the ride system, the anamatronic robots, the music, the entrance facade, lighting. I think this is the first ride that is getting that treatment at WDW. Now they just need to update PotC, and I will be happy. But yes, Disney is a shell of its former Self. Epcot Center in FL, is falling apart, all the sponors are pulling at. Actually I can say that about most of the parks in WDW. Oh Well. Here is hoping that Disney's rea;izes this and fixes the problem.

ChrisReid

The only 60s style needed an update, but I dislike the Verne bronze crap. I'm not necessarily convinced the new Tomorrowland is as bad as depicted though.

ChrisReid said:
The only 60s style needed an update, but I dislike the Verne bronze crap. I'm not necessarily convinced the new Tomorrowland is as bad as depicted though.

It's not. Part of the trick they use it making it look worse is comparing shots of the old version packed full of people at the most crowded time of the year to shots they probably took in the opening hour of the park during the low period of the year to make it look more vibrant in the old shots.

Belfast

Can't say I really like either. The old look was good, but only for its time. Either way, Tomorrowland WAS in dire need of an update. The only problem is that the update didn't really improve anything, either. It does feel like they took more away, shut down more rides, etc. than they added. My big problem with the Disney parks these days is that they no longer serve as a creative force behind the company. The old rides are still pretty fun, but the new ones are completely stale and stagnant. Moreover, like I said, instead of the parks being a creative force, they are serving more and more to pimp out Disney movie/television franchises like Buzz Lightyear (I've honestly had enough of Buzz) and Lilo & Stitch, not to mention more and more kiosks to sell mountains of crap.

The day they get rid of the Carousel of Progress at DW is the day the park dies. :p

Right now Universal is beating the pants off of Disney, IMO. Islands of Adventure is a great park and Universal Studios has some good classic attractions (as well as some not-so-good classic attractions), but the new stuff they are adding is cool. I still want to try out Revenge of The Mummy.

Belfast

StrikerObi said:
It's not. Part of the trick they use it making it look worse is comparing shots of the old version packed full of people at the most crowded time of the year to shots they probably took in the opening hour of the park during the low period of the year to make it look more vibrant in the old shots.

Yeah, I picked up on that trick pretty quickly. As much as I might agree with their overall assessment, I was kind of pissed off they'd stoop to measures like that.

The Carousel of Progress isn't gone. They just don't run it often. They've been running it when the park is really crowded to lower waits all over the park. They also run it sometimes when other stuff is Tomorrowland is down for various reasons, so there is more to do in that area of the park.

Alien Encounter is down now, it's being replaced by a Stich version. Amazingly, the Timekeeper was open on my last visit! I love that show. They're retarded for not showing it all the time. Same goes for CoP.

I don't have much of an issue with the redesign itself, although I do like the vintage 60s style far more personally.

What I have problems with really, is just the obvious commercialization of everything there. I mean, look how many attractions were turned into boring restaurants and shops. The removal of all those submarines is perplexing as well, especially considering how great it looked in the paat.

Belfast

Alien Encounter was fine as it was. :\ Like I said, they're just pandering to kiddy-marketable themed rides instead of creating something TRULY interesting. Dreamflight wasn't their best ride, but the Buzz ride that replaced it sucks. The MiB shooting gallery at Universal is better, IMO. I'm honestly surprised Timekeeper is still going. Perhaps Disney really should keep up with the rest of the industry, though. It always seemed to be a philosophy of theirs to make rides that almost everybody can enjoy, which isn't bad per se, but they rarely make any new, GOOD thrill rides. We're still riding roughly the same roller coasters people were 20 or 30 years ago. GOOD rides + the theming by Imagineers SHOULD = Goldmine. Also, they never should've made Animal Kingdom. They could've used that money to bring better rides ot their current parks.

Belfast

Semjaza Azazel said:
I don't have much of an issue with the redesign itself, although I do like the vintage 60s style far more personally.

What I have problems with really, is just the obvious commercialization of everything there. I mean, look how many attractions were turned into boring restaurants and shops. The removal of all those submarines is perplexing as well, especially considering how great it looked in the paat.

Ugh. Its like walking into a giant Disney Store except you have to pay $40+ to get in.

To me what sets Universal apart from Disney is that Disney builds rides of various size. Almost everything at Universal is big budget. There are a few exceptions, mostly rides designed for kids. Take a look at the two parks though. Disney builds something like Buzz Lightyear, a small ride where you shoot thnigs. Around the same time Universal is building Men in Black, which is the same idea only a whole lot bigger. Absolutly everything at Universal is bigger. Even their standard dark ride, ET, is HUGE.

About Disney not opening enough big rides, I think they're finally starting to realize this. They just opened a Tower of Terror in California (I've ridden it, it's not quite as good as the FL version. The theming isn't near dark and creepy enough and the ride is a bit shorter). They opened Mission: SPACE in EPCOT and that ride is fucking amazing. I've never felt something as awesome as that. They're currentlying building an Everest roller coaster in Animal Kingdom. They're building a real thrill version of Space Mountain at Disneyland. So it looks like things are looking up for thrills at Disney parks.

aparisi2274

Belfast said:
I still want to try out Revenge of The Mummy.

I did last week. Best fucking ride I ever went on. It was so good I went on it 2x. If u can get to Universal, by all means get over there and get on that ride.

aparisi2274 said:
I did last week. Best fucking ride I ever went on. It was so good I went on it 2x. If u can get to Universal, by all means get over there and get on that ride.

Have you been on Mission: SPACE? I doubt I'll be on a ride any time soon that can match it in sheer immersiveness and G-Force.

aparisi2274

StrikerObi said:
To me what sets Universal apart from Disney is that Disney builds rides of various size. Almost everything at Universal is big budget. There are a few exceptions, mostly rides designed for kids. Take a look at the two parks though. Disney builds something like Buzz Lightyear, a small ride where you shoot thnigs. Around the same time Universal is building Men in Black, which is the same idea only a whole lot bigger. Absolutly everything at Universal is bigger. Even their standard dark ride, ET, is HUGE.

About Disney not opening enough big rides, I think they're finally starting to realize this. They just opened a Tower of Terror in California (I've ridden it, it's not quite as good as the FL version. The theming isn't near dark and creepy enough and the ride is a bit shorter). They opened Mission: SPACE in EPCOT and that ride is fucking amazing. I've never felt something as awesome as that. They're currentlying building an Everest roller coaster in Animal Kingdom. They're building a real thrill version of Space Mountain at Disneyland. So it looks like things are looking up for thrills at Disney parks.

I Just got back from WDW and I went on Mission Space, and while I got a kick out of it, its not a ride that will make me want to wait more than 30mins to ride. If the line is any bigger, I am gonna single rider it, or just skip it. And thats the problem with a lot of the Disney Rides. I go on them once or twice, and I dont care anymore, whereas with Universal, almost all the rides are good enough to get me back into the park over and over.

For instance, Disney is taking one of their coolest rides, Alien Encounter, which if anyone ever went on it, was a cool as little ride/theater experience. What are they replacing it with? Why, Stitch's Encounter of course. So they essentailly took out all the cool scary elements and put it in Kids stuff, just to appeal to a portion of their guests. I think that is a bad move. I mean you have Fantasy Land for kids. Leave Tomorrow land for the teens and adults. Put some sick coasters in there, or some sick ass simulator rides. The only thing I can say is that I hope Everest is a cool coaster, and not something like the Matahorn in DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom