• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's D23 Expo Moves to July in 2017, Setting Up Clash With San Diego Comic-Con

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/disneys-d23-expo-moves-to-july-in-2017-setting-184228700.html

Consider this the first salvo in a potential Southern California convention war.

D23, the Disney owned pop culture event focusing on Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilm properties, said on Monday that next year’s Anaheim event will take place July 14-16 — a space in the calendar more commonly associated with Comic-Con International’s San Diego Comic-Con.

While dates for San Diego Comic-Con 2017 have yet to be officially announced, it’s been speculated for some time that the event will be held July 19-23 that year after the San Diego Convention Center added an unnamed “private convention with trade show” to its calendar for those dates.

Traditionally, SDCC runs in the final two weeks of July; this year’s event spans July 20-24. Comic-Con International did not respond to a request for comment from THR for this story.

It looks Disney will bypass Comic-Con for making announcements for MCU or Star Wars films, instead presenting directly through their own convention. Interesting.

Not the first time. Remember when Marvel Studios had that October conference after skipping SDCC? I won't be surprised if others, like WB, start to pull out since some of their franchises have such a huge following that they needn't rely on the Comic Con crowd anymore.

Ashhong

Why is it necessary for them to host it so close to the commonly used SDCC slot? I understand they don't need SDCC to show off Marvel and Star Wars stuff, but why compete with them like this (if they do indeed end up on the same weekend). Seems like it might just overshadow each other

mreddie

D23 is basically DisneyCon, no point to have SDCC have things anymore.

SDCC this year would be interesting because Marvel has Strange and Star Wars has Rogue One and Disney still has their late 2016-2017 slate to show off.

Mortemis

Banned
damn just had the thought that kingdom hearts 3 is gonna be at 3 different D23 expos, and these happen every other year. It needs to hurry up. :(

SDCC this year would be interesting because Marvel has Strange and Star Wars has Rogue One and Disney still has their late 2016-2017 slate to show off.

It will be interesting to see who shows up to these too.

Yep, they'll definitely be showing off footage from some 2017 movies. Beauty and the Beast & Pirates of the Caribbean 5 had principal photography finish a while ago so they'll have something to show from those plus they'll have teases for Cars 3 and Coco from Pixar.

FoneBone

Not the first time. Remember when Marvel Studios had that October conference after skipping SDCC? I won't be surprised if others, like WB, start to pull out since some of their franchises have such a huge following that they needn't rely on the Comic Con crowd anymore.

That was 2014, and they didn't skip SDCC that year. The only years they've skipped SDCC since 2007 (when Iron Man started filming) were 2011 and 2015.

EDIT: And 2008, which was after the release of Iron Man and Hulk but before they'd started filming anything else

That was 2014, and they didn't skip SDCC that year. The only years they've skipped SDCC since 2007 (when Iron Man started filming) were 2011 and 2015.

EDIT: And 2008, which was after the release of Iron Man and Hulk but before they'd started filming anything else
My mistake, I got 2014 and 2015 SDCC confused. I do remember that in SDCC '14 they didn't reveal anything big and saved it for the October event so that kinda relates.

AMUSIX

The SDCC is too large for its own good anyway.
San Diego needs to hold onto the convention, and set out to better handle it by building a bigger convention center. Unfortunately the project has been put on hold by environmentalists demanding that more studies be done on the harbor behind the center. It should be mentioned that the harbor is in no way natural, and, is instead a man made dredged bay with stacked stone walls and no natural life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom