• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispelling the lies about Jim Ryan

Duel Fencing GIF by GEICO

One of the last which reach the pinnacle of the hypocrisy by Spencer:

Exclusives Are ‘Completely Counter To What Gaming Is About,’ Xbox’s Phil Spencer Says​

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/07/xbox-series-x-exclusives-phil-spencer/

The list would be very long if we start to search. Ryan is surely less nice but Spencer lies repeatedly to the gamers though people forget it just because is more likeable.
Every Xbox game is on PC as well as console. In many cases the games are on tablet and mobile phones too. It doesn't win fanboy wars but MS doesn't do exclusives. Phil is telling the truth.

assurdum

Banned
When’s the last time you went to your boss and said 90% of his ideas were fucking stupid and he should do a 180?
And how did it go?
If you are slave of your boss it's your problem doh. But back to the argument from what we know Spencer could be even the mind behind the Xbox one Kinect. No one will ever know. But you guys are so cute to think Phil will never do something against the gamers interests just because he like to do nice talks. Lol.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
When’s the last time you went to your boss and said 90% of his ideas were fucking stupid and he should do a 180?
And how did it go?
You would be fired within 5 secs of saying that, trust me I use to try and do that and that did not work out. People need to realize that for people who are little to the bosses, their opinion does not matter.

Shmunter

If people dont feel compelled to upgrade due to PC and PS4 ports, their revenues will suffer. Both physical and digital. Every person who decides to buy a PC to play PS exclusives is a person who does not purchase a $500 PS5, a $60 sub for the next 7 years, or pays for sony's 30% digital store cut. For PS4 owners, it's not as dire since they are still part of the ps eco system but every year sony delays giving their users a reason to upgrade, MS gives them more reasons to switch to them.

It goes back to my point about short term profits vs the long run. What Jim is doing is clearly working for them today, but a year from now? 3 or 5 years from now? The Wii sold something crazy like 80 million. early leads dont mean much in this industry. it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. The entire point of first party games is to give people a reason to go out and shell out $500 for a new console. They are actively discouraging that by making horizon and gow available on last gen consoles. It's weird because they finally have first party games that are literally system sellers in ways only Gran Turismo, Halo, MGS2, GTA3 and Zelda used to be, and they aren't taking advantage of that goldmine to sell more consoles.

They are clearly bullish about the sales of PS5 so ultimately it might not matter and Jim will be seen as a genius who led the PS5 to another generation win, but even that success will come at the expense of gamers who wont get the best from the best sony studios for at least the first two years of the ps5. similar to how the switch has held back arguably the best first party studios in the industry.
Yep. Curtailing next gen releases to the whims of the bean counters instead of the creatives. A first party has only 1 Job.

Show off the hardware, attract customers and 3rd party developers. Strengthen the brand.

Where the hell are we now? Sony leadership is trash.

Derktron

Banned
Every Xbox game is on PC as well as console. In many cases the games are on tablet and mobile phones too. It doesn't win fanboy wars but MS doesn't do exclusives. Phil is telling the truth.
Microsoft is trying to combine their ecosystem with putting their games on PC. There is nothing wrong with that. These manchildren are truly pathetic. Funny thing is that Sony is changing its ways and I'm loving every minute of it. Now if you would excuse me, I'm going to buy Days Done on PC since I could not finish it on PS4.

assurdum

Banned
Ah, I see. I had no idea I was dealing with a total badass here. My bad. Good luck changing your next multi-billion dollar company
The badass it's you here because solely to defend your CEO idol you think he could never have any kind of responsibility because he wasn't the "boss" at the time. You live in bubble to think only the person in charge is responsible of all the bad ideas in the company. Very easy think like this.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

The badass it's you here because solely to defend your CEO idol you think he could never have any kind of responsibility because he wasn't the "boss" at the time. You live in bubble to think only the person in charge is responsible of all the bad ideas in the company. Very easy think like this.

tenor.gif

OrionNebula

Sure thing, mr Badass. Like i said, I’ll be keeping an eye and taking notes on your upcoming multi-billion dollar overhaul company changes. Seems rather easy from what I read from you. Who knew all you had to do is go to all the way to the big dog and plainly say ‘’all your ideas suck, boss’’. I wonder why no one tried it before, it’s so easy

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep. Curtailing next gen releases to the whims of the bean counters instead of the creatives. A first party has only 1 Job.

Show off the hardware, attract customers and 3rd party developers. Strengthen the brand.

Where the hell are we now? Sony leadership is trash.
Good point about 3rd parties. They are the ones who are typically the most apprehensive and you need to nudge them by showing that next gen only games can succeed. By not taking the risks yourself, you are letting them go complacent which will only hurt you in the long run.

There will be no third party games built from the ground up in the first year. Say what u will about ac unity but it felt next gen. Even cod advanced warfare was using next gen tech.

Second year looks better with avatar, suicide squad, forspoken, ff16, dragon age and mass effect. If ms hadn't bought Bethesda last year, Sony would've had starfield and redfall too which i bet they were counting on when they made their own games last gen. But that's a problem in itself when third parties end up doing your job for you. I bet those CEOs aren't happy with their teams making next gen only games when Sony is releasing three cross gen games in the same year.

Who knows what kind of precedent this sets for next gen.

e&e

Banned
If you are slave of your boss it's your problem doh. But back to the argument from what we know Spencer could be even the mind behind the Xbox one Kinect. No one will ever know. But you guys are so cute to think Phil will never do something against the gamers interests just because he like to do nice talks. Lol.
So conspiracy theory to make an argument? You have no argument then…

PS: Jim Ryan is a liar. Nice OP trying to spin it though!

Last edited:

Konnor

Sony doesn't censor games. It's Japanese (and sometimes German/Chinese/United Arab Emirates/Australian/New Zealand) age rating certification / government censorship game certification who doesn't allow certain things, so gore or genitals get removed or highly toned down from Asian versions of the games. Most of these games get only censored only for their Japanese version, so western versions aren't censored. Steam games don't need to pass age rating because they are digital only and global so no retail versions which means they can skip local age rating / government censorship certifications, so games aren't censored there.

In addition to this, a few publishers decided to tone down themselves revealing costumes for their American (or worldwide) versions to get a better age rating when publishing on retail (which gives them access to sell games on certain huge retailers), plus getting less criticism from puritanist and SJWs.

??? In what decade do you live in? There have been games that were censored or outright banned specifically on playstation. Even Nintendo was more openminded than Sony on some occasions.

A small suggestion to have some credibility instead of sounding as an embarassing hater: mention specific facts that can be double checked and then say you like or dislike them, instead of saying 'this XXX company is evil', 'they become like XXX', mentioning easily debunkable lies, etc.

Yeah, it's not as if I have mentioned specific examples in my very post or even in that very sentence like pay to play online, no exclusivity generational or otherwise, censorship and so on...

Unknown?

Yeah that's why they buy companies and keep previously multiplatform games off of certain platforms.

LMJ

Ummm, the hate most sony fans have for phil spencer on this forum says "hi". Starting it off like that, I'm not reading the rest.

You're confusing PS gamers for "diehards" (aka fanboys) most Playstation fans don't care about Spencer...

So the OP pretty much is justifying Jim Ryan's actions by saying that he tripled-down on what the previous hack was doing? As if Jim is a weak-minded drone forced to do that the previous admin was doing or something and has no responsibility for his actions.

Did you read the OP?
NO you're right...clearly I have nooooo criticisms at all amigo

dxdt

did I say the launch of Xbox one??? Phil has been the head of Xbox since 2014 and its been a shit show....yes in the latter days it's been better but It been mainly promises of a better future...
I am far from a high level executive and simply is an engineer. When your boss has a different visions them yours, then there's not much you can do to change it. Basically you execute and implement what they asked. So this is just pure speculation. Don made the visions and decisions while Phil implemented them. And Don is not here anymore after the XBO debacle.

Last edited:

Konnor

Did you read the OP?
NO you're right...clearly I have nooooo criticisms at all amigo

I'm not saying you don't have any criticisms, just that a lot of them are justified by accusing Jim Ryan's predecessors of being the ones who implemented whatever terrible policies there are now. The point is though that whether they were there or not Jim Ryan took these policies and made them so much worse to the point that enough of us noticed even though we hadn't before. Let's not forget was Jim Ryan is the CEO so he could have stopped these policies so he's still the ones who's accountable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom