• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] Final Fantasy Community |OT| The 14th cycle may be a reality.

MAtgS

Console Dissidia would require splitscreen multiplayer, killing some of the visual flair of it. I think that's why its handheld, each player has a whole screen to himself. Well that & the general gaming ecosystem in Japan favoring handhelds.

However, my guess is the nest Dissidia will be a full-fledged ARPG, like KH but with all FF worlds. They've teased it with the 2nd game & I'm yearning to fight real monsters instead of the fighting polygon team.

Narolf

Banned
Of course you aren't. There will be a part tackling DFF in the tournament's sign-up form, Do you still play DFF?, in order to figure how many of you guys are still interested in it.

Aru

While I really loved both games and had a blast with them, I don't really consider Duodecim a full sequel (well, prequel). I hope they can make a new game that really feels like a full fledge entry rather than an expansion. But they said they were done with the current form of the game.

I know it's totally different, but maybe they could try something like Dissidia Musou ? I'm not a big fan of Musou games but as long as there is one of my favorite series mixed with Musou gameplay, I can appreciate it enough if it's well made.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Up-coming NA tournament will have rules easy to understand to keep it simple, stupid (KISS prinple) so that you can expect quite a bit of Kujassisted fights, yeah. That being said, rest assured the next ones will have more sophisticated rules.

As mentioned in the OP, tournament will take place on the next week-end, starting on the 8th. Besides, there is yet another bit of bullshit drama tied to this, which may compromise the schedule or not. Head on over at Kagari's FF thread if you want to know more about that.

Not the issue.

I can't use Adhoc. I don't have a PS3. Which I think is required.

MAtgS

Personally my hope is for Dissidia: Kingdom Hearts regardless of platform. DFF originally began as a KH fighter & from what I understand Disney never actually said no to it, S-E just assumed they would.

rataven

Oh my gosh, I played the heck out of Dissidia/Duodecim, probably somewhere around 500 hours between both games. I eventually stopped checking the clock because dear god that is a lot of time.

The funny thing is that even with all that effort invested, I wouldn't say I was actually good at the game, although I've never had so much fun getting my butt kicked. And screw you Golbez!!

I mained Cloud because he's my favorite character so OF COURSE (plus he has so much swagger in his AC alt) and then I'd swap in WoL, Tifa, Kain, and even Lightning on occasion. I tried really hard to master Kuja because he is hilarious (well now!), but I'm terribad with the magic users, so that never worked out. Bummer. But YES! I want a console Dissidia soooo bad, only it must come with more Faris, Fang, and Fran. MUST.

I main Firion, though I read somewhere that he was actually one of the worst characters in the 1st Dissidia and that they had to rebalance him for 012? I don't really know about that sort of thing though.

Glad to see more dissidia fans. I put 700 hours into the game and only had one online match. The single player is that good.
Yeah, I put about 400 hours into the two, have never touched the online/multiplayer aspect and still have tons to do in 012 before I've 100% completed the game. The amount of content single player Dissidia is simply staggering.

Is all the DLC available in the US market?
No, but most of it is. Cloud and Tifa's 3rd costumes were exclusive to Amazon and Gamestop pre-orders, Squall's KH costume was never made available to North Americans and Gilgamesh had a Type-0 costume that was never made available outside of Japan. I'm still a little bitter about this. And Cecil and Lightning's 3rd costumes can only be obtained from new, physical copies of the FFIV Collection for the PSP and The 3rd Birthday (or eBay).

EDIT:
OBut YES! I want a console Dissidia soooo bad, only it must come with more Faris, Fang, and Fran. MUST.
I always though Fang would make a great addition to the Chaos side, ala Jecht.

So these games were critically acclaimed, sold a bucketload, made a ton more off DLC, enjoyed a healthy meta-game/community, had most players averaging at about 200 hours of play, was a glorious celebration of everything FF stands for, was arguably the best thing to come out of company since XII, and yet...no new game for Vita, 3DS or consoles, Square? D:

Mokubba

So these games were critically acclaimed, sold a bucketload, made a ton more off DLC, enjoyed a healthy meta-game/community, had most players averaging at about 200 hours of play, was a glorious celebration of everything FF stands for, was arguably the best thing to come out of company since XII, and yet...no new game for Vita, 3DS or consoles, Square? D:

We can't even get Type-0 on the vita so I just gave up hope of a 3rd Dissidia.
It's a shame when we have dual analogs and a system that hasn't been hacked to death

I think the people who worked on Dissidia left. Also, the game sold "well" but it 1/5th of the copies out there were actually paid for.

But we can still hope for an HD version of Duodecim please SQUARE!!

Do we actually know sales for these two things in the West? I was under the impression that SQEX's 2011 PSP titles didn't sell well in North America/Europe at all, hence the lack of Type-0.

rataven

I always though Fang would make a great addition to the Chaos side, ala Jecht.
YES, this would work really well with her character, especially if she defected to Chaos. Fang wouldn't have the patience for Cosmos anyway.

And not only that, but Team Chaos could have used a few fresh faces in Duodecim, and not just the future Cosmos recruits. There are so many great characters that blur that good/bad line (Beatrix, Reno, etc.) that it's a shame they weren't given some newbies.

Narolf

Banned
Haha wow. Quite a lot of posts when I was taking a (long) nap, several questions left to be answered... one of them being absolutely crucial.

I have no idea what is going on in the OP.

OP is split in the same way as GAF's layout.

- First OP = GAF's index page = Thread's index.
- Second OP = Gaming = Competition = Post wherein I'll put all events hosted in this thread.
- Third OP = Off-Topic = Resources = Posts wherein I'll put all important Dissidia-related material that is released.​

Don't hesitate to move your mouse over the various pictures since most of them hide hyper-links. That will greatly benefit your navigation.

And now, the meat and potatoes.

Stage is set.

Those who have been following Kagari's FF thread know what is going on, but here is a quick summary for those who didn't.

As mentioned in the OP, I have a NA-only tournament planned for the next week-end. Originally it was intended for this right week-end, but I had so much to do on my plate as of late I didn't even find the time to prepare it therefore I ended up moving it for the week-end of the 8th. However, it turned out that DF's Terrina also planned to host hers for said week-end, meaning we now have two Dissidia tournaments that share the same purpose (being the first NA tournament in history) scheduled for a same week-end. The thing is, I've never wanted such scenario to happen since DissidiaForums remains the loam of the Dissidia competitive scene... but that's all what it is: nothing but a loam.

Dissidia player I've received a PM of on Youtube said:
You still run the Team Wars thing, right? Is there a link to the most current list of rankings or whatever? o;
Dissidia player I've received a PM of here said:
Hey Narolf, what's happening with Team Wars from now on? Are they continuing as normal (DF and here being combined) or being split between Gaf and DF?
TKG09 said:
Here are the five facts I've made very clear to Terrina when we discussed via mail one week ago or so.

- The third season of Team-Wars [LR:ATW] is my own event.
- It's an event that originally started on DissidiaForums.
- It's an event now hosted on NeoGAF.
- It's an event sponsored by #DDFFCasual.
- I won't take the lead of Order of Penance at last.​

And this is the final nail in the coffin, my oath: I no longer care about what goes on over at DissidiaForums. I am now completely dedicated to NeoGAF and #DDFFCasual, after one last attempt at amending the situation by sending that affiliation letter, going as far as mentioning Kagari's, EL's and my real name to make it sound really professional and waiting for a response for no less than four days. For the funny anecdote, I didn't get EVD was her real name at first, considering how Final Fantasy-ish it sounds. Thought that was a second-hand nick.

The whole story transpired very romantic I guess, what with our Nomura-ish/Ooooh kawai desu ne'd/10/10 would cuddle'd doppelgängers teaming up against the three pasty/faceless Illuminati to save the world, but this bullshit has gone on long enough now and I've personally lost too much time as well as too many braincells in trying to show sanity towards those punks. Enjoyed coming up with the fan-fic though.

Question then: when would you guys like the NA tournament to take place? As it stands, it remains scheduled for the next week-end, but I wouldn't mind adjourning it. Also asking it to #DDFFCasual, contact me either at narolf@hotmail.fr or by shooting me a PM over at Youtube.

Besides, everything you need to know about TW can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47076319&postcount=2

CorvoSol

AHAHAHAHA WHY WOULD YOU THINK SQUARE GIVES A DAMN ABOUT ITS HANDHELD PROPERTIES HAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, though, Square Enix does not give two damns about its handheld IPs. Localize Type-0 and Bravely Default? NOOOOOOPE. TWEWY is the best new thing to come out of SE in ages? NO SEQUEL. Fans keep buying KH in the hopes you'll give them KHIII? HEY THIS NEXT ONE IS ON YET ANOTHER CONSOLE. Dissidia sells well and receives praise? NO THIRD GAME. HOPE YOU ENJOY THE GREE THO.

And if they DO take note of a handheld game, it's just to put it on iOS.

Beth Cyra

AHAHAHAHA WHY WOULD YOU THINK SQUARE GIVES A DAMN ABOUT ITS HANDHELD PROPERTIES HAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, though, Square Enix does not give two damns about its handheld IPs. Localize Type-0 and Bravely Default? NOOOOOOPE. TWEWY is the best new thing to come out of SE in ages? NO SEQUEL. Fans keep buying KH in the hopes you'll give them KHIII? HEY THIS NEXT ONE IS ON YET ANOTHER CONSOLE. Dissidia sells well and receives praise? NO THIRD GAME. HOPE YOU ENJOY THE GREE THO.

Dissidia 012 didn't do remotely as well as Dissidia 1 (though this should be expected for what is really just an expansion pack) and the Dissiida mindset gave us Theatrythm.

Also TWEWY didn't perform that well on DS either. I get some of the frustation, but there are good reasons some of these have been treated the way they have.

SkyOdin

I wouldn't mind seeing a proper Dissidia sequel on the 3DS.

One of the biggest problems in Dissidia was judging your distance to your opponent, particularly at close to mid range. As such, it is a series that could actually benefit from a 3D display to make judging such distances easier. Controls could remain identical to the PSP version.

Anyways, I played a whole ton of Cecil, mostly for nostalgic reasons, but also because I like his mode-switching gameplay. Firion was a whole lot of fun to play as well. Kain is also up there, because of his in-built chasing abilities.

CorvoSol

Dissidia 012 didn't do remotely as well as Dissidia 1 (though this should be expected for what is really just an expansion pack) and the Dissiida mindset gave us Theatrythm.

Also TWEWY didn't perform that well on DS either. I get some of the frustation, but there are good reasons some of these have been treated the way they have.

Square would have to actually market their hand held games for them to sell well. Instead it blows casholine on FFXIII-2 advertisements.

I wouldn't mind seeing a proper Dissidia sequel on the 3DS.

One of the biggest problems in Dissidia was judging your distance to your opponent, particularly at close to mid range. As such, it is a series that could actually benefit from a 3D display to make judging such distances easier. Controls could remain identical to the PSP version.

Ew, no. Gauging distance was never a problem. Keep the 3D out of Dissidia please.

Beth Cyra

Square would have to actually market their hand held games for them to sell well. Instead it blows casholine on FFXIII-2 advertisements.
Twewy had some decent stuff before launch as did 012 with all the character releases and interviews on the lead up to launch in Japan.

It's true for the west, but by the time of 012s launch I can't blame them for the west.

CorvoSol

Twewy had some decent stuff before launch as did 012 with all the character releases and interviews on the lead up to launch in Japan.

It's true for the west, but by the time of 012s launch I can't blame them for the west.

Yeah, well, can't well have omelettes without cracking some eggs, can we?

Narolf

Banned
Got a mail from Terrina right after I redirected people to my post tackling DF over at #DDFFCasual. She said she "had no idea" I was about to host a NA tournament myself. Granted I've posted all my rants about DF I've made on GAF over at #DDFFCasual, this one included, I'm inclined to believe she is lying, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. In that respect, I've added her tournament's banner/link to the OP.

On the subject of DLC,
all of it, via CFW is functional with English copies of the game.

Still added the plugin that makes DLC costumes-modding possible in the OP for resources.

They don't give a damn or two damns? Damn. You're right of course, but they DID care, supported the PSP for years with some of its best games. It's not like that today though, I guess I'm stuck in the past. I just really loved that awesome era of Crisis Core-Dissidia-FFT-Birth By Sleep-Dissidia 012-The 3rd Birthday-FFIVCC and what was potentially Type-0 at the time. The last good Square era?

Narolf

Banned
So, regarding the whole deal with the joint NA tournaments, I've made my decision.

I've just realized Terrina is using her own pocket money for the prizes. I can tell because she said she will offer them via Paypal, meaning Spyder & Draec aren't helping her in the funds. I will pass on how disgusting that is, granted Terrina is only 17 and doesn't work for a living as such, while Spyder & Draec are almost 30. I will just stress the fact that Spyder always disliked Paypal, implying... yeah, maybe Draec helps her in the funds, but even then, I'm inclined to cut him some slack granted how insecure the guy is, and for more than just being Spyder Junior, but also for being that one staff member I've mentioned in Kagari's FF-C thread who felt the need to toy with my infatuation. Moving on.

Edit - She does cover prizes on her own: http://dissidiaforums.com/showthrea...and-Discussion&p=414216&viewfull=1#post414216

Besides...

Yes I am. I'm actually going to be hosting my first NA tournament next week. I'm pretty excited about it.

Do not build on hate, Narolf. You can't build on hate.

If that weren't obvious already, DissidiaGAF hasn't been, isn't and won't be build on hate. Quite the opposite, actually.

Long story short -- my NA tournament will take place on the week-end of the February 15th.

Now, I didn't forget that is the same week-end as Galadín's & Cookies' EU tournament, but if there had to be two DF staff members I would much rather "antagonize" than Terrina, that would be them.

Terrina is exactly like Terra: surreal magical powers, insecure and manipulated in return, she ultimately "doesn't want to hurt anyone". It's only a matter of time until she realizes who her Kefka is. On the other hand, Cookies and Galadín have to be taken onto another level. Yep.

Cookies is pretty much Khellendros 2.0: all kind with me at first, it's only once I've got banned he started sucking up to Mass Zero greedily.

As for Galadín, barring her lame ass winks at me in her sig, she soiled Kurayami's name with her TT tournament. Kurayami is irreplaceable.

At last, only the few East Coast players who planned to join their tournament will be affected by this, if there were any in the first place...

leroidys

I got the prolog on my vita last night. This game is so much fun! Also, for $3, the prolog has a crazy amount of stuff, IMO. I'll probably pick up Duodecim before the sale ends.

I love how original and nuts this game is. The combat seems pretty intuitive as well. If they just had a proper tutorial I think someone could learn the battle system really quick. It's kind of annoying how they just teach you to play with stills in between battles.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Narolf: What the hell are you posting about? Dissida forums drama? Jeesh man, who the fuck cares. Don't post about that here.

On the subject of Duodecim, best portable game... ever? So good. SO GREAT.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really can not get into the combat of this game. The camera is terrible even with a lock-on.

I got the prolog on my vita last night. This game is so much fun! Also, for $3, the prolog has a crazy amount of stuff, IMO. I'll probably pick up Duodecim before the sale ends.
It always annoys me a bit when people complain about Prologus being a "paid demo." It comes with exclusive story and character content that makes it more than a demo and totally worth the handful of bucks it costs to download.

On the subject of Duodecim, best portable game... ever? So good. SO GREAT.
Basically. 012 is my desert island game for sure.

Narolf

Banned
Narolf: What the hell are you posting about? Dissida forums drama? Jeesh man, who the fuck cares. Don't post about that here.

Missing the point.

Intention wasn't to bask in the attention, rather was it to explain why I've changed the date of the tournament. This thread aims at being an extension of DissidiaForums in terms of events, meaning those hosted here won't be scheduled at the same time as DF's; moreover if they share the same purpose, like Terrina's and mine. Thread may not be the most active community thread we've had here, it does remain lurked by folks over at #DDFFCasual. They use the second OP as a reference to keep up with updates of team-wars for instance, since I can no longer update all my stuff over at DF. It may not be apparent by taking a look at this thread, but the event does continue over there.

I'm aware importing drama (The 14th cycle may be a reality.) can get me banned; I've already said I wasn't particularly proud of doing it.

It's all settled now that Terrina and I had our talk. Don't expect me to pull that kind of stunts ever again.

Riddy

Picked this up yesterday, was not feeling it at all at first, but after switching to RPG mode, I can see how it can be fun. I think the overworld and premise is pretty boring though...seems like a hub that leads to various board games. The combat seems almost arbitrary too. I've had no reason to switch paradigms and I've just been spamming the same moves. Here's hoping it gets more exciting...

BlackJace

Picked this up yesterday, was not feeling it at all at first, but after switching to RPG mode, I can see how it can be fun. I think the overworld and premise is pretty boring though...seems like a hub that leads to various board games. The combat seems almost arbitrary too. I've had no reason to switch paradigms and I've just been spamming the same moves. Here's hoping it gets more exciting...

Playing as Lightning is your first mistake. She's not all that fun at first. Try Versus mode and find a character that gels with you.

And yes, the Story mode is IMO the weakest part of the game. VERY slow, and repetitive.
(Scenario 000 was a pleasant curveball though)

Verelios

I put over 80 hours into Dissidia between the original and this. Just where did I go wrong...

I picked it up again with the sale coming along. Anyone know how to transfer my psp save file over to my Vita?

So, I'm buying a PSP Go pretty much to play this and FFTWOTL.

Has anyone else here played this on their HDTV's with a dualshock? Does it feel as natural?

Top Bottom