• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy |OT| - better than your fanfiction

HiddenWings said:
For some of them. All of the characters have been "re-balanced", which means new moves for some to cover weaknesses, and changed moves for pretty much everyone. I only really notice changes in characters I play, but for Zidane this manifested as removed moves and links, (he can no longer chain everything to Meo Twister), and slightly faster magic attacks (they're still pretty bad). Cloud got faster brave attacks, and magic that actually does something.

You can still chain things to Melo Twister but the ability to chain everything to Melo Twister/Free Energy got changed ages ago, long before this game. That happened between the original jap release of the first game and the US release.

This game Zidane if anything got changed for the better, with a full assist he can can break your brave no matter how high it is and kill you. The new ground move he got chains into EVERY OTHER MOVE HE HAS.

Hello all hope you guys are enjoying the game. I haven't had a chance to pick up my copy, stuck between
term papers and work. Friday ill be able to join in, also I found a srk like dissidia forum. It's highly informative and very helplful. I sold three people on this thanks to my thread, feels good. Oh does anyone have a link or screen shot of the characters alts and or dlc costumes?

I've been playing through Prologus during my lunch at work and I'm finally starting to understand the game. I started off using the "RPG mode" and that didn't suit me at all.

This game is fraking deep. I think I need to play Prologus a lot longer before I pick up the full game. I'm still trying to figure out how to run up walls!

ezekial45

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
I've been playing through Prologus during my lunch at work and I'm finally starting to understand the game. I started off using the "RPG mode" and that didn't suit me at all.

This game is fraking deep. I think I need to play Prologus a lot longer before I pick up the full game. I'm still trying to figure out how to run up walls!
Don't. There's the chance that you'll probably be burnt out by the time you get around to the real game. The game explains how to play well enough.

The items that Prologus unlocks, what do they actually do? And are they unique to Prologus or can they be obtained in the main game? Thanks to SE/SCEE's fantastic decision to release it 2 days before the actual game releases, I'm probably not going to have time to do everything in Prol.

Die Squirrel Die said:
The items that Prologus unlocks, what do they actually do? And are they unique to Prologus or can they be obtained in the main game? Thanks to SE/SCEE's fantastic decision to release it 2 days before the actual game releases, I'm probably not going to have time to do everything in Prol.
There's two: Midgar Flower (It's an ingredient for one of Lightning's weapons in the full game) and Chocobo Cologne. (Which can be traded in the full game for a free level up.)

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
There's two: Midgar Flower (It's an ingredient for one of Lightning's weapons in the full game) and Chocobo Cologne. (Which can be traded in the full game for a free level u.)

I've got the Midgar Flower, so that's the main one. A free level ups nice but easy enough to go without. Still going to play more tomorrow before the main attraction comes on Friday.

Oyashiro

Quick question: if I get the NA version and my friend gets the EU version, can we play against each other in local? Because we had this problem with Peace Walker. I had EU, he has NA, we couldn't play co-op.

xero273

Oyashiro said:
Quick question: if I get the NA version and my friend gets the EU version, can we play against each other in local? Because we had this problem with Peace Walker. I had EU, he has NA, we couldn't play co-op.

won't work.

duckroll

Hmmm, it seems that Dengeki reports that the 4th costume for Zidane and Kuja will be available on PSN on 31st March. This is for Japan...

duckroll said:
Hmmm, it seems that Dengeki reports that the 4th costume for Zidane and Kuja will be available on PSN on 31st March. This is for Japan...
I remember hearing something about a voucher for a new Vaan DLC costume being given in an upcoming issue of V-Jump... was there any truth to that?

xero273

duckroll said:

how much? or are they still free?

duckroll

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I remember hearing something about a voucher for a new Vaan DLC costume being given in an upcoming issue of V-Jump... was there any truth to that?

Yes, next issue of V-Jump has a 4th Vaan costume. I can't use any of these, so they better put up a costume pack for sale on the Asian PSN!

Still waiting on that data install to finish. It has been over a hour so far, but I am doing the largest install so I'm not surprised.

xero273 said:
infinite in fighting games is where you keep on doing a combo and the opponent has no way of getting out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXl_h_nx7Pw

Clearly I don't play a lot of fighting games.

Also, what's the best way to download the Kingdom Hearts Cloud costume? Is it possible to enter the code on PSN through my PS3 and transfer the download to my PSP mem-stick?

Noticed something weird. I'm on a Japanese PSP playing 012 downloaded off US PSN, and Lightning's EX Burst prompts weren't corrected, like it asks for analog direction and X and it's really asking for the direction and O. Same for the reverse where they ask for O and you press X instead. I guess I'm the only person facing this issue?

Incidentally, they also fixed the bit where WoL's EX Burst 6th prompt was always Left in original Dissidia.

Beth Cyra

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Noticed something weird. I'm on a Japanese PSP playing 012 downloaded off US PSN, and Lightning's EX Burst prompts weren't corrected, like it asks for analog direction and X and it's really asking for the direction and O. Same for the reverse where they ask for O and you press X instead. I guess I'm the only person facing this issue?

Incidentally, they also fixed the bit where WoL's EX Burst 6th prompt was always Left in original Dissidia.

This has screwed me up so many times.

I am using my Crisis Core SE PSP and I couldn't figure out why everytime I pressed X when it told me to I messed up. Then one time I hit O on accident it worked.

I didn't know if it was just me or not until now though.

RadioHeadAche said:
Why is Vaan smelling his finger? Do we get an answer in the story?
He's not, he just rubs his nose like that. I guess it's something that tends to happen with characters in Japanese stories?

Also, it's fine to get PSP DLC onto the PS3 and transfer it that way.

One thing that bugs me, all AP Chances have a hidden requirement to not get hit once ever now. Pisses me off now that they changed that. :\

rataven

RadioHeadAche said:
Why is Vaan smelling his finger? Do we get an answer in the story?
Because it smells of awesomeness! Seriously, Vaan is so much fun. Also, a dweeb, but I'm really enjoying playing as him. Surprise of the game for me. (But yea, he's just rubbing it)
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
One thing that bugs me, all AP Chances have a hidden requirement to not get hit once ever now. Pisses me off now that they changed that. :\
Ah! I've been making a concentrated effort to get these bonuses with every match, but it seemed that even if I got hit with a bravery attack or a 0 damage HP attack first I'd miss the bonus. Can't remember if it was that way in the first game but it is annoying. And some requirements are odd. Like hit with an HP attack of 1400 or something, when the enemy only has 1100 HP.

rataven said:
Ah! I've been making a concentrated effort to get these bonuses with every match, but it seemed that even if I got hit with a bravery attack or a 0 damage HP attack first I'd miss the bonus. Can't remember if it was that way in the first game but it is annoying. And some requirements are odd. Like hit with an HP attack of 1400 or something, when the enemy only has 1100 HP.
It certainly wasn't that way in the first game, at least with some of the bonuses. That's a shame to hear.

duckroll

The first pay DLC for the game has hit the JP PSN Store. 300 yen for a set of 3 original (not arranged) music tracks from FFIV. No idea what the tracks are.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201103/24041670.html

Pricing for more DLC has been announced:

- Zidane and Kuja's costumes are 300yen each, coming out next week.

- FFIX BGM Set (3 tracks) is also 300yen, out next week.

- The FFIV BGM Set released today contains: "Golbez, Clad in Darkness", "Within the Giant", and "The Final Battle".

- The FFIX BGM Set will contain: "Sword of Fury", "Festival of the Hunt", and "Rose of May".

There are screens for the new costumes. Both costumes were designed by Minaba, the art director of FFIX.

oeWKf.jpg

efJ1H.jpg

uCggO.jpg

cqm9B.jpg

PwkOV.jpg

eFhSw.jpg

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
duckroll said:

- The FFIX BGM Set will contain: "Sword of Fury", "Festival of the Hunt", and "Rose of May".

Aw man Festival of the Hunt is a good one! I hope we see these in NA and they continue to release DLC packs devoted to one particular game: like a "Final Fantasy IX and IV DLC pack" and just include a bunch of things from that game, new BGMs, new backgrounds, etc.

One thing that I really think they should've done is include more non-playable assist characters like Aries for DLC. I think it would be neat if they just released a bunch of other characters from the games to pop in for an assit attack, basically like what was done in Marvel vs Capcom 1.

Some awesome ones would be: Steiner (IX), Barrett (VII), Sabin (VI), and etc. It would be really neat and keep me purchasing new things!

... So far I'm on Vann's story in the story mode. He's a fun character to use. I'm enjoying all the new systems in story mode, but I think someone else already mentioned how hard the end of chapter bosses are compared to everyone else you fight. It's like they get a nice AI bump.

RpgN

duckroll said:

- The FFIV BGM Set released today contains: "Golbez, Clad in Darkness", "Within the Giant", and "The Final Battle".

There are screens for the new costumes. Both costumes were designed by Minaba, the art director of FFIX.

I'm getting depressed from all those DLCs (in general) and milking. It's like asking money for no effort at all, old songs unchanged and they ask 300 yen in this time and age.

Played Prologus, it was fun and I liked the new assist characters. Can't wait to get the game on Friday. I got back to the first Dissidia in preperation. Ha, I payed for a demo :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How's Kain play in this? I bought Dissidia when it first came out once upon a time and Kain's always been my favorite character so I've been looking into rebuying for the Go

RpgN

zoner said:
How's Kain play in this? I bought Dissidia when it first came out once upon a time and Kain's always been my favorite character so I've been looking into rebuying for the Go

Kain is a new character with the sequel, are you talking about Cecil? Anyways, Kain plays great. His attacks are useful and you can easily follow attacks with him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
RpgN said:
Kain is a new character with the sequel, are you talking about Cecil? Anyways, Kain plays great. His attacks are useful and you can easily follow attacks with him.
I just meant to Final Fantasy in general

duckroll said:

Wow. I would have been down with this if they did something like pack the costumes and FFIX tracks together for 3 bucks but 3 for each alone is crazy.

duckroll

GoldandBlue said:
Wow. I would have been down with this if they did something like pack the costumes and FFIX tracks together for 3 bucks but 3 for each alone is crazy.

Quite pricey, yes. It means that if you're a huge FFIX fan, and you want both costumes and the extra BGM, it will cost you about 10 dollars for 2 costumes and 3 music tracks.

Oyashiro

Man, those FFIX costumes look awesome. FFIX is my favorite game in the series, but there's no way I'm dishing out money for some costumes.

duckroll

I just had a really sick Labyrinth run with Frionel. It lasted well over 2 hours. He went in at lvl29 or something, and he's now lvl42 or something. Mastered pretty much all his skills during the run too. I could have gone further, but I had bought some useful equip which could be taken out of the Labyrinth, and I got some REALLY good Labyrinth-only loot which I didn't want to lose, so instead of picking up a job card which would have overwritten my Geomancer card, I decided to bail out instead and make a tent. Got like 500+ PP in the run too. Good times. :D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
duckroll said:
I just had a really sick Labyrinth run with Frionel. It lasted well over 2 hours. He went in at lvl29 or something, and he's now lvl42 or something. Mastered pretty much all his skills during the run too. I could have gone further, but I had bought some useful equip which could be taken out of the Labyrinth, and I got some REALLY good Labyrinth-only loot which I didn't want to lose, so instead of picking up a job card which would have overwritten my Geomancer card, I decided to bail out instead and make a tent. Got like 500+ PP in the run too. Good times. :D

Awesome, can't wait to unlock Labyrinth mode... it's pretty much the THING to do in the game, right? No reason to back into story mode?

duckroll

Adam Prime said:
Awesome, can't wait to unlock Labyrinth mode... it's pretty much the THING to do in the game, right? No reason to back into story mode?

There's definitely a reason to go finish up the rest of story mode. Basically, the calendar bonuses don't apply to Arcade and Labyrinth modes. So when you have special days which offer bonus exp, AP, and PP, you want to take advantage of those. What I've been doing is that whenever I hit a special day, if I feel like it, I do 1-2 chapters in 013. It's a great way to get that character leveled up a bunch, master the abilities, get some KP, buy more summons, get a ton of PP to unlock more costumes and music, etc.

The 000 Story is also pretty interesting. It's basically a free roam world map, with hard dungeons all over the place. Pretty challenging, and a good way to use high level characters in a party. There's a ton of content in Dissidia012, so I find it best to pace the different modes based on my mood, and what day it is.

Man, I really need to unlock Labyrinth mode so that I can get some AP/PP. EXP isn't really a problem since there's a relatively simple way of EXP grinding this time around, but I could sure use the AP to master attacks and gain access to stuff like Terra's Fire -> Firaga or Lightning's Launch -> Flourish of Steel.

branny

zoner said:

Even though you've already been answered, I was pleasantly surprised by Kain. If you're at all interested in how an honest-to-goodness dragoon style character would play like in real-time, you'll absolutely love him.

The people working on character animations for these Dissidia games need a pay raise. D:

Just started playing as Yuna, Im not really digging her at the moment. Maybe and hopefully my opinion of her will change as I level her up.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm really loving the game. I'm actually really into using Lightning. She's really fun to use.

Just a few other thoughts:

- I really liked the revamped dungeon mechanic. I hated the DP system from the last game, and the KP system in this is really great. However, it's sort of a hassle to lower your level to match the Dungeon lvl requirement so you can get KP.
- I'm still bummed that they removed Chaos' theme. The new one is really great though.
- I love the party system. It's really fun going through dungeons with an awesome group.
- I was sorta surprised that i have to go through the 013 chapters again. It feels a little tedious, but it'll be alright.

I really don't like the new chase sequences. They're a pain in the ass, and sometimes if I correctly dodge an enemies HP attack during a chase, I still get hit (fuck you, Sephiroth). That and the fact that breaking out of an enemies attack with an EX Burst is a total waste. I suppose I relied too heavily on that, but it was nice to have it in case things got too crazy.

Of the new characters, I've played Lightning, Tifa, Yuna, and Laguna. I didn't really care for Tifa, but Laguna is pretty interesting. I do really enjoy using Lightning and Yuna, though. I have to get started on the story so I can get some weapons because I'm not dealing much damage right now. However, I managed to get Lightning up to level six.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just finished Yuna's chapter last night:

I am VERY impressed with just through the first four characters that I'm presented with in story mode, how diverse of fighting styles they all have. Going into the game I just wanted to stick with my mains from the first game, but playing the story mode has opened me up to new characters that I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise. Yuna and Laguna are both VERY fun to use, and surprisingly so is Vann!

... after a rough start the dialog and writing in this game has turned out to be pretty darn good. They do an excellent job of capturing each character's personality really well, and making them fit into the situations they are in. Laguna is hilarious, Kefka sounds like a fucking crazy person, and Jecht and Tidus carry their same attitude as well. The story plot itself is not inspired writing, but damn am I love to listen to the characters interact with each other. It's been way more entertaining than it seemed to be in the first game.

I stayed up way too late playing this game yesterday, it's impressive on every level. I would go as far as to say this is one of Square's best works in recent years on any platform...

I'm glad you're enjoying the game sir. I know fighting games and plot is often a iffy subject. With the game I can hear them talk all day. Very entertaining

Top Bottom