• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Is it true it is better to have a party of either all magical or physical Dmg rather than mixed?

With the way the mag/phys armor split works in the EA, it definitely seems like stacking one or the other is the best strategy. You can still do a ranged/melee split however and it seems like there are abilities in each tree that can do magic or phys damage.

Naito

Is it true it is better to have a party of either all magical or physical Dmg rather than mixed?

This is bullshit. I am not usually that direct but this only accounts that focusing on a single armor you can be more efficient (no armor = cc fest). Larian tweaked the encounters to present a mix of both where you have certain enemies with increased physical or magical armor. You will require a healthy and good command of both.

This concern was also adressed during the last Undead + Q&A Livestream.

Naito

I would like to thank Plump for putting together a neat OT. Perhaps you recognize me from the EA thread or not, I am happy D:OS 2 will release soon and all of us will be able to fully enjoy it. Ironically, for someone that intensively followed D:OS 2 shaping up to today, I won't be able to play the game on release because of work reasons. Maybe it's cheesy, but I just wanted to wish you all a grate time – I can't wait to join you in experiencing this game in the next weeks.

MikeBison

Fucking crippled by what I'll go with. Just know that I'll have a custom PC and then origin partners. Definitely want Fain. Unless I go undead myself. But...arghhh. Decisions. No. I'm fairly certain I want Fain in my party.

Twinsen343

Okay, 1:00am seems to be the release time for us Australians tomorrow the 15th.
Good thing is steam will automatically download when available so I will have it ready just as I am getting ready for work....

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
I had original sin since release. Just picked it up again and just got to the 2nd forest mp.

I really want the sequel though. Should I get it and play or finish the first? Ugh :)

Akronis

[TW]Stone;248909813 said:
I had original sin since release. Just picked it up again and just got to the 2nd forest mp.

I really want the sequel though. Should I get it and play or finish the first? Ugh :)

D:OS is my favorite game of all time. Play both.

It isn't necessary to complete D:OS to understand D:OS2 though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[TW]Stone;248909813 said:

If you aren't enjoying the first enough that finishing it isn't an automatic no brainer then why do you want the sequel?

Buckle

Glad I'm not the only one, its frustrating as hell because I do it in any game where I can make a character. I can't think of the last time I have stuck with the first character I made for any significant time.
I've probably restarted OS more than I have any RPG in recent memory.

Only just now made it to Silverglen.

Is the full game download entirely separate from the early access install available now? Or can I go ahead and get a head start by starting the install?

Ryzaki009

If you aren't enjoying the first enough that finishing it isn't an automatic no brainer then why do you want the sequel?

I didn't like the first that much but DOS2 had me hooked almost immediately. The tone is different enough I can easily see people who didn't like the first loving the second.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I liked the first a lot but could never finish it as the story and writing was never enough to hold my attention, but the change in tone and increased focus for OS2 has me excited.

Is the full game download entirely separate from the early access install available now? Or can I go ahead and get a head start by starting the install?
It's the same install so it'll give you a somewhat head start. But there's a good chance a lot of the existing content will also need patching since it hasn't been updated in 4 months.

A bit off topic but I'm getting sucked into the hype of D:OS2 and was wondering if the first one is worth playing from story standpoint.

Looking for impression on the writting, choices, story and relationship between NPCs and companion.

Thanks.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Anyone have an idea of what sort of skills we haven't seen yet from the full release? Curious to see if there are more skills to play with.

Sanctuary

A bit off topic but I'm getting sucked into the hype of D:OS2 and was wondering if the first one is worth playing from story standpoint.

Looking for impression on the writting, choices, story and relationship between NPCs and companion.

Thanks.

No one is really going to know until it's released. The EA was only a third (or less) of the game.

epmode

Thanks.

The dialogue is fun (voice acting is great too) but story is not a good reason to play the first game. The sequel is reportedly a lot better on that front.

The dialogue is fun (voice acting is great too) but story is not a good reason to play the first game. The sequel is reportedly a lot better on that front.

Playing again last week through it, and learning a lot about the lore etc, it's way more interesting than i originally thought. I wouldn't say it's a good reason to play the game, but i don't consider it a weak point like before. The world-building is actually quite good. I think many people didn't bother because of the goofy (often legit funny) humor.

I'm really happy that the sequel is going for more gravitas. I think the Witcher showed us that you can work harmoniously with a serious and grave world with light touch of humour and pleasantry within it.

jrcbandit

I'm excited to play this but have 0 idea on what kind of character to make. Maybe an elf so I can eat dead people lol. Is Polymorph still pretty OP as a secondary skill like in the beta?

No one is really going to know until it's released. The EA was only a third (or less) of the game.

I was alking about the first game.

Playing again last week through it, and learning a lot about the lore etc, it's way more interesting than i originally thought. I wouldn't say it's a good reason to play the game, but i don't consider it a weak point like before. The world-building is actually quite good. I think many people didn't bother because of the goofy (often legit funny) humor.

I'm really happy that the sequel is going for more gravitas. I think the Witcher showed us that you can work harmoniously with a serious and grave world with light touch of humour and pleasantry within it.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot.

Emitan

I wanted to make a water/air cleric but all my friends want to be undead and that leaves me with no way to heal >:T

FiraB

Banned
I wanted to make a water/air cleric but all my friends want to be undead and that leaves me with no way to heal >:T

Grenades, lots and lots of grenades.

Or a point in geomancy, then just drop poison clouds all over the place.

famfrit

I have a weak notebook with a i7 3610qm and a 640m. Dont know how bad this will work on my note, but If I get the game on Gog I have 14 days to get my money back, right ? About refund, Gog put some limit of how many hours of use like Steam or not ?

Sarcasm

I have a weak notebook with a i7 3610qm and a 640m. Dont know how bad this will work on my note, but If I get the game on Gog I have 14 days to get my money back, right ? About refund, Gog put some limit of how many hours of use like Steam or not ?

There is a trick with offline mode in steam that supposedly doesn't let you track time so you can see how it runs.

JaseC knows more about it.

famfrit

There is a trick with offline mode in steam that supposedly doesn't let you track time so you can see how it runs.

Thanks. This will be usefull.

Talking about that, dont know why the hell the developers dont put a benchmark tool in every videogame...

Plus, now Gog is not a option to me :

13. MY SYSTEM DOESN'T MEET THE MINIMAL REQUIREMENTS SPECIFIED ON PRODUCT PAGE, CAN I GET A REFUND?

Well, there's a reason why we post the system requirements on each game's page: so you can see for yourself what you'll need to have on your rig in order to be able to run the game. If your game doesn't work because you misread our system specs, all we can really offer is that we're sorry for you. :( Please note that we also cannot provide support if you're trying to run our games through virtual machine software.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Lots of quotes but much more at the link. I'm so glad D:OS was the success it was. The confidence it gave Swen has resulted in a wonderful sequel :)

Oh wow, if D:OS bombed I have no idea what that would have done to his confidence after so many of those crap experiences.

epmode

The closest thing to preload is to wait for Steam to upload the EA build right?

If you're interested in saving bandwidth, wait until the game is released. Otherwise, download the Early Access version now and the rest of the game will be patched in.

Does anyone know how many hours until the full game goes out on Steam?

They intend to release at 11 AM Eastern so it's a little over 11 hours from now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, while the client does track playtime in Offline Mode during a given session, the data isn't cached anywhere for uploading later (unlike, say, achievement data), so it's not added to your recorded playtime and therefore isn't attached to your refund request. There's an argument to be made that any use of Offline Mode to extend the two-hour window is abusing the system, but I'm of the opinion that using the loophole for testing and leaving the two hours to form an opinion on the game itself is perfectly fine.

Staf

It's a fucking crime against humanity that this isn't on the console considering how fucking good OS1 port was :(.

Thinking of Fane/Sebille/Red Prince or Fane/Ifan/Red Prince as my first party. I think I'm set for my character to be the melee rogue archetype

Doc_Drop

This is bullshit. I am not usually that direct but this only accounts that focusing on a single armor you can be more efficient (no armor = cc fest). Larian tweaked the encounters to present a mix of both where you have certain enemies with increased physical or magical armor. You will require a healthy and good command of both.

This concern was also adressed during the last Undead + Q&A Livestream.
A point I would make based on how my encounters went in OS - given my desire to use lots of elemental damage and combos I found whenever I had melee characters they weren't as effective because of the sheer volume of shock, fire, ice, etc that was on the 'board'.

I rolled 2 wizard types, a bow/magic cross, and a stealth/crossbow group so they could all fight ranged.

This may have been rebalanced for OS2, but I can see the concern with regards to the use of an up close fighter amongst so many AoE spells and the volatile nature of the combos

Top Bottom