• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Sygma

Arx Spoiler-
I Fog bombed Linder Kemm while he was still in the magister barracks to see if it would change the vault fight. Possible that he specifically cant be hurt by it. All his paladins went down easy enough.

Regarding that

He's an undead using a shapeshifter mask so thats kinda normal he can't be affected by it. Which in turn makes one realise that if you use the shapeshift mask and go undead, you ll never be affected by deathfog either

Is there a beginners's guide you guys would recommend?

i'm 6h in and i'm kinda screwed, I cannot go through any fight without losing 2-3 members and I don't have the money to buy res scrolls or better armor. I learned a lot of things in those 6h but I don't know if restarting is something I wanna do unless I really know what to do. I was having a lot of fun and going with the flow, but it's catching up quickly and now I feel like i'm hitting a wall

As a general matter:

1. Save often. If you lose two or three characters in a fight, reload and try a different approach. Later, when you're on firmer footing with combat and res scrolls, you can go back to riding out suboptimal results.

2. If a battle seems impossible, leave it for now and come back when you've gained some levels and found/bought better gear.

3. Use the environment to your advantage. Several early fights give you a chance to use height for extra damage/reduced risk from melee attackers. Try splitting your party and sneaking to get everyone in favorable position. If you know a fight will start after a conversation, split off the non-speaking party members to get them in position. The last thing you want is for ambush your entire party with one spell.

4. Focus on stealing enemies' turns and adding more for yourself. You'll notice that many skills have a negative status effect that will apply once the enemy is stripped of the relevant armor type. Very early in the game, you will have access to tentacle lash, chicken claw, and battering ram. The first prevents an enemy from using its weapon for a turn, the other two prevent enemies from doing much of anything for a turn. Getting an enemy off your back for even one turn is super valuable! To that end, you should try to get "teleport" on at least two party members. Early on, enemies don't have as many mobility spells, so simply teleporting them far away will buy you some time. You can also use this to deal with obnoxious snipers by bringing them down from their perches and right to your party.

You can also add to your turns by making someone in your party a summoner. One more character applying damage (and soaking it up, if the enemies focus on the summoned creature) is very powerful in the early game.

Vengal

Regarding that

He's an undead using a shapeshifter mask so thats kinda normal he can't be affected by it. Which in turn makes one realise that if you use the shapeshift mask and go undead, you ll never be affected by deathfog either

Wait when is that revealed, i totally killed him in the vault and neither got a mask of shapeshifting nor saw him as undead.

Venfayth

I restarted the game again because I'm a weirdo. I was in act 4 but I really rushed through act 3 and I honestly can't remember why. I think I accidentally found a way to skip past most of what you were supposed to do.

Anyway

This time I'm doing a Lone Wolf build on tactician with my custom character and Sebille. Lone Wolf is actually pretty fun.

Act 1 spoilers on things I'm trying with retrospect

I'm trying to clear the entire island before I give the teleportation gloves to the guy who usually dies after he scams you. So far it seems like no matter what you do he dies in the middle of the forest if he makes it that far. I'm hoping for a better ending for him after I clear everything though!

Ryzaki009

He was bleeding in the vault and has decent looking skin, assumed he was alive.
Then again Fane sometimes bleeds.
Nope definitely undead. The bleeding is probably just an over site but the decent looking skin most likely comes from a mask of the shapeshifter like Windego had.

If you kill him use spirit vision and talk to his spirit. He'll tell you what's up and you see his true form. (that said for some reason you eating him is completely ignored in the ending so ugh.)

Patch is out:

Fixes

Awesome stuff. are you guys aware of the controller issue where the left stick will just keep scrolling forever even tho you're not moving it (like it gets stuck in the right position), and the only way to stop it is to unplug and replugin the controller? sometimes it will happen like every 7 minutes, and sometimes it won't happen at all, it's wierd.

Awesome stuff. are you guys aware of the controller issue where the left stick will just keep scrolling forever even tho you're not moving it (like it gets stuck in the right position), and the only way to stop it is to unplug and replugin the controller? sometimes it will happen like every 7 minutes, and sometimes it won't happen at all, it's wierd.

Sounds like a deadzone issue

Sounds like a deadzone issue

It happens to me randomly too.

Sanctuary

Guys, where should I focus my points for a backstabbing rogue?

Dual Wielding + Scoundrel? What is the most optimum distribution?

I'm dumping everything on finesse for this character btw

Other than the already given Warfare advice, talent wise you'll want The Pawn ASAP. After that, the rest can come in pretty much any order. All Skilled Up is useful, Far Man Out will increase the range of Backlash, Cloak and Dagger and Phoenix Dive and Menumonic might be useful if you find yourself running too low on memory slots (it's better than dumping points into MEM).

Don't be afraid to pick up skills from Warfare either such as Cripple (great AP spender), Battle Stomp and Phoenix Dive. You'll also want to spend 1 in Polymorph early on for Chameleon. Mainly for end of turn uses so you aren't targeted (Fane can do this twice). The best early game combo is Backlash > Rupture Tendons > Chicken (1 Poly). Chicken was changed today so that it only runs six meters now instead of the enemy running all across the screen, bleeding as it goes until it dies, so this combo is probably weaker. I'm not sure it is going to matter though. Chicken is still the best CC in the game and if the combo doesn't still kill it, it will be out of commission for two turns and mostly dead by the time you get back to it.

Your early ability distribution should be something like: 5+ Warfare, 2 Scoundrel, 1 Poly by the time you finish Act 1. Skill wise, Backlash, Cripple, Battle Stomp, Adrenaline, Cloak and Dagger, Rupture Tendons, Chameleon, Chicken and then Phoenix Dive. Sleeping Arms is great too against physical damage dealers if you have room for it.

imBask

Banned
As a general matter:

1. Save often. If you lose two or three characters in a fight, reload and try a different approach. Later, when you're on firmer footing with combat and res scrolls, you can go back to riding out suboptimal results.

2. If a battle seems impossible, leave it for now and come back when you've gained some levels and found/bought better gear.

3. Use the environment to your advantage. Several early fights give you a chance to use height to your advantage. Try splitting your party and sneaking to get everyone in favorable position. If you know a fight will start after a conversation, split off the non-speaking party members to get them in position. The last thing you want is for ambush your entire party with one spell.

4. Focus on stealing enemies' turns and adding more for yourself. You'll notice that many skills have a negative status effect that will apply once the enemy is stripped of the relevant armor type. Very early in the game, you will have access to tentacle lash, chicken claw, and battering ram. The first prevents an enemy from using its weapon for a turn, the other two prevent enemies from doing much of anything for a turn. Getting an enemy off your back for even one turn is super valuable! To that end, you should try to get "teleport" on at least two party members. Early on, enemies don't have as many mobility spells, so simply teleporting them far away will buy you some time. You can also use this to deal with obnoxious snipers by bringing them down from their purchases and right to your party.

You can also add to your turns by making someone in your party a summoner. One more character applying damage (and soaking it up, if the enemies focus on the summoned creature) is very powerful in the early game.

thanks for the advices! i'll take that + the link posted earlier and see where it leads

Taruranto

0h1UWfG.jpg

What the hell happened here lol. She disappeared from the game and reappeared in Kemm's house ENRAGED. This is Bethesda-tier stuff, Larian.

I don't buy for a second this area was properly beta-tested and played through. There are like 7 merchants in the town and most of them sells garbage. It's something anyone would have noticed asap.

I take that
Lucian's Tomb
is the end of game?

SUPGUYZ

Banned
I beat it 2 weeks ago but I'm really itching to do another playthrough. I RARELY play games more than once so that's how I know I absolutely love this game

Urthor

Don't forget to take some points in Ranger for Tactical Retreat as a Scoundrel. More teleport skills, and ones that stack haste on you to boot, are absolutely essential. You'll want all the teleport skills from every tree for your character.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Beat that fucker
Mordus

He had been kicking my ass for several retries and I finally was able to sneak some people around and get some flanking positions to be better able to take out the help. Great feeling when you conquer an encounter like that.

Arx

The portal dream fight is pure BS

That was actually an interesting fight. Tbf, I had to reload to revamp my strategy. But overall, I split my party into 4 directions and destroy them all asap.

Also, don't kill any of them if you can, just knock them down or charm or whatever.

Beat that fucker
Mordus

He had been kicking my ass for several retries and I finally was able to sneak some people around and get some flanking positions to be better able to take out the help. Great feeling when you conquer an encounter like that.

True. There's no such thing as impossible encounters in this game. All we need is creativity and a new approach. And when we can finally overcome them, it feels so good.

Naito

that long ass list of fixes and it doesn't mention the Idol bug. i guess free infinite revives are still a thing maybe!

That and the
boost from the Academy hasn't been fixed yet, which left my party to avoid respeccing since the end of Act III (entering the mirror cancels the boost, but the impression is that it should be permanent because it lasts after death or any other condition). Luckily I didn't really need to respec, but I would welcome the option to have clean portraits now and tweak 1-2 points.

Sygma

Beat that fucker
Mordus

Hah i just teleported him while he was talking to my elf. Like, way out of sight from everyone else. Cheese is a thing

Ryzaki009

Hah i just teleported him while he was talking to my elf. Like, way out of sight from everyone else. Cheese is a thing

My lone wolf archer pretty much 2 rounded him (thx to Fane's time warp) it was hilarious. Did the same thing to the last boss. The wreckage.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Argh.

Ready to leave act 2, and one of the NPCs at 'camp' is suddenly MIA, and 'leaving' to go to the next act implies I'll lose him, even though I already did and finished his quest.

Larian plz. :(

Argh.

Ready to leave act 2, and one of the NPCs at 'camp' is suddenly MIA, and 'leaving' to go to the next act implies I'll lose him, even though I already did and finished his quest.

Larian plz. :(

Is it
Garath
? If so, that happened to me and the events relating him later triggered just fine.

If its
Tarquin
then that happened to me as well but he doesn't show back up until later so I can't see yet if that's bugged.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What would you guys say was the hardest fight in the game on classic mode?
For me it was probably that arena fight with all the black mirrors in the consulate. That was just rough as hell on the CC. Multiple turns skipped, but this was probably my fault since I didn't realize what I actually had to do until things already started getting rough lol.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So should I just jump into this without playing the first game? Deciding on which to buy first. x_x;

You can jump into this one without worrying at all about the 1st, there are some minor references here and there but they're more like nods at people who played the first. You'd probably get more out of the world from playing Divine Divinity over original sin 1 lol since that one is closer to DOS2 timeline wise but it's all mostly a stand alone affair.

You should probably start off with DOS2 first since it's a slightly more streamlined affair especially if you're not used to these kinds of games but if you ask me DOS1 is a much better over all game.

Arulan

After taking a scenic tour of Germany courtesy of DHL, not the least of which involved going around in circles and sitting in international shipment processing for over a week, my collector's edition finally arrived in the US.

I have to say, it's a beautiful collector's edition.

I get destroyed wherever I go, pretty close to dropping the game at this point. I'm obviously missing something since difficult rpgs like SMT and Souls are my favorite but I'm really losing my patience with this one.

I get destroyed wherever I go, pretty close to dropping the game at this point. I'm obviously missing something since difficult rpgs like SMT and Souls are my favorite but I'm really losing my patience with this one.
how are you getting destroyed and where
and a even lesser important party set up?

Not really much to go on here, but some general tips:
you'll want to fight enemies the same level as you, first and foremost. It makes a big difference. And early on, when first starting the game, you'll want to scavenge any equipment you can, too; craft, trade, or steal for it. Then it's a matter of using what you have to your advantage (skill synergies, like fire and oil, water and electricity, plus many more) and eliminating the enemy's advantages (ambush enemies, reposition to higher ground before fighting, lay down environmental effects beforehand, etc) to achieve victory.

And of course, recruit a full party. Only lone wolves are crazy enough to try anything different.

if you're still in act 1, get any and all equipment to fill your slots up. start fights going backwards if you have limited amount of range in your set up and create choke points. this will get you over the tutorial that is the entire Act 1

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've had the original game for two years but haven't gotten to it yet. Now, with a sequel that's supposedly better in almost every way, should I bother playing the original before getting to Original Sin 2?

Brohan

I've had the original game for two years but haven't gotten to it yet. Now, with a sequel that's supposedly better in almost every way, should I bother playing the original before getting to Original Sin 2?

Was in the same boat and just decided to go straight to Original Sin 2 and have no regrets.

Samaritan

Does the game automatically provides portrait to your characters by their 3D model?
Yes! It even updates the preview of your portrait as you make changes to your character in the creator, which is incredibly satisfying.

Did the latest patch finally fix how taunt works with armor?

Shengar

Yes.

You can also change everyone's appearance later (respec screen).

Yes! It even updates the preview of your portrait as you make changes to your character in the creator, which is incredibly satisfying.

I assumed it was like the previous CRPGs including the first Divinity OS where you had to used illustration, so I thought I need to commissioned some illustration for my characters. Thankfully that wasn't the case this time!

Thanks for the answer folks.

Renekton

Did the latest patch finally fix how taunt works with armor?
Don't think so, it still says resisted by Physical Armor.

Taunting isn't helpful anyways. I had a tank taunt an archer who promptly teleported him somewhere far far away, because that counts as an attack.

Top Bottom