• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 review thread

Isn't it more of a successor to Ultima? Both OS games are great but that doesn't seem like the best comparison. Unless they just mean traditional cRPGs in general.

Yup. Larian's declared goal, by themselves was to make a game similar in tone and interactivity with Ultima 7. Which they did. But the console oriented world we live in and the age of U7 meant pretty much nobody other than people from the codex and a few others knew what that was. They knew Baldurs Gate (by name, not that they have played it), they were both isometric, so it must be like that. Dont expect the GI reviewer to have many clues what he's talking about. Dont expect even sites like PC Gamer to have a clue, they seem to only play modern ports of console games:

http://www.pcgamer.com/which-classic-pc-game-is-on-your-pile-of-shame/

Yup. Larian's declared goal, by themselves was to make a game similar in tone and interactivity with Ultima 7. Which they did. But the console oriented world we live in and the age of U7 meant pretty much nobody other than people from the codex and a few others knew what that was. They knew Baldurs Gate (by name, not that they have played it), they were both isometric, so it must be like that. Dont expect the GI reviewer to have many clues what he's talking about. Dont expect even sites like PC Gamer to have a clue, they seem to only play modern ports of console games:

Could you be more condescending? Larian themselves said of Original Sin 2:

"Now though, we're in a good spot to make Original Sin 2. We've increased in size and resources, and we're trying to make our Baldur's Gate 2 - not literally Baldur's Gate 2 of course, but building on the same engine, giving you lots of skills from the start, building on top of it, working on the UI, trying out new ideas and new stuff on top of our very solid core. And of course, we have an extra advantage that Bioware didn't have when it made Baldur's Gate 2 - we have the community to help us out."

And I agree with the BG2 similarities for reasons I said earlier in the thread. And if you want to check my bonafides, I consider Ultima 7 Parts 1 and 2 as two of my favorite games of all time (up there with BG2). And I played them at release (yes, I'm old).

Hell I became an instant fan of Larian when I played Divine Divnity and found out that they snuck an Ultima 7 clone behind a heavy coat of Diablo 2 dressing.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
And I agree with the BG2 similarities for reasons I said earlier in the thread. And if you want to check my bonafides, I consider Ultima 7 Parts 1 and 2 as two of my favorite games of all time (up there with BG2). And I played them at release (yes, I'm old). .

I played all these games at release too :)

Wadiwasi

Banned
Will have to wait for PS4 version or buy a new laptop....which I will most likely wait for the PS4 version. I couldn't help but to watch some of a streamer's playthrough, and I was baffled about the depth of events and how seemingly stupid interactions led to something amazing.

To me the game looks to be head and shoulders better than D:OS and I loved that game. From what I saw I would easily give it a 9 or 10 out of 5.

Dtack

Neo Member

I like turtles though so I got that going for me

Could you be more condescending? Larian themselves said of Original Sin 2:

And I agree with the BG2 similarities for reasons I said earlier in the thread. And if you want to check my bonafides, I consider Ultima 7 Parts 1 and 2 as two of my favorite games of all time (up there with BG2). And I played them at release (yes, I'm old).

Hell I became an instant fan of Larian when I played Divine Divnity and found out that they snuck an Ultima 7 clone behind a heavy coat of Diablo 2 dressing.

They said it like that since the first game, because, as i've put it, the mainstream press and casual gamers only knew of BGate because of the name. So Swen said smth llike" we were trying to go with Ultima 7, but since everyone kept saying BG we went along with it". No point in pressing a name where the entirety of the gaming press of 2017 has to google because they were either in diapers at the time or playing an NES, exclusively. Im not condescending, its honestly how the press is today. Can you tell me otherwise, when PC Gamer themselves makes a list with some of the biggest pc classics and say they havent played them ?

Backlogger

I ended up getting burned out on the first one after not getting too far into it. I mostly just didn't know where I was supposed to go after the first town and everything was higher level than me.

Does the sequel have a better flow to it in terms of what you are supposed to do or supposed to go?

I actually own it because I backed it so I should just install it and give it a go

AndersK

Do you need to then chase down the crate after thrown? Do you need to always pick up new crates and load them with junk like an elaborate reload setup?

Not to sound like a dick because that whole concept is hilarious, but your post legitimately left me with such questions on how the mechanic works.

It's all good, haha. Crates have a set amount of HP, and it'll lose some every throw. The trick is to find a sturdy one, and it should last quite a while. The junk stays in, and the damage increases with weight. You can put points in telekinesis and skip the fetching part like a Jedi.

With enough strength you should be able to carry it in inventory without being encumbered too.

Vintage

Wow, not a big fan of turn based rpgs, but this looked interesting. Will sure buy if after all these reviews.

Btw is ACG reviewing this?

Xater

Not too surprised. I am over 20 hours in and so far this is the best CRPG I have ever played, and I have played quite a few.

It's an absolutely wonderful game, the story takes itself a bit more serious this time around but there's still a good amount of humor included as well. Combat mechanics have been improved and polished. Player freedom is at the forefront of the entire experience.

The co-op itself is again a blast to play with friends, but I would recommend most people start a solo campaign first because it is rather chaotic as well.

For anyone who has ever wanted to try out a CRPG, go with this one, play on easy if you have to, just don't miss out on it.

Edit: Although I think they did patch out the barrelmancer because people were apparently one-shotting the final boss with it, lol.

The game is surpassing all my expectations. I am especially surprised in terms of the writing which has been significantly improved. I'm only 20 hours in and I have just completed the first major objective, exploring all possible avenues. It's pretty crazy how much options you have.

Hats off to you, Larian.

Moff

It's a good game but I think I liked the first one more. I just love big towns in rpgs with tons of quests and npcs. Maybe there will be one later.

Rad-

Best RPG of this gen. The jump from D1 to D2 is similar to BG1 to BG2. They pretty much just improved everything.

Stygr

Banned
400.000 copies on Steam, and 100.000 on Gog
90+ metacritic
is this GOTY material?
YES IT IS.
aK31wqx.png

KHlover

Banned
I thought I didn't like CRPGs, turns out I just had never played any good ones. This just might be my favorite RPG after Gothic 2.

buy buy buy

Durante

Looks like they really outdid themselves, props to the devs!

Question is, is it better than the first one and Pillars of Eternity?
Probably.

The only thing that could make it better is RTwP :p
(Just think about all co-op players queuing their actions simultaneously rather than waiting out turns!)

Carcetti

Looks like they really outdid themselves, props to the devs!

Question is, is it better than the first one and Pillars of Eternity?

I've only had time to play about 8 hours but even now I'm ready to say 'yes' and 'yes'. The level of care and detail put into this game is insane.

100k sold copies on GOG sounds like really good numbers, considering that GOG sales often is said to be negligible in discussions about sales numbers.

Dinda

The first game was great, but this one is a masterpiece! It is so good guys! I always liked Larian, but since they develop their games independently they really have come into their own.
Also, i'm playing with a Controller, and it works fantastic, so i'm sure it won't be long until those of you who don't have a PC can play this amazing game on console.
Probably.

The only thing that could make it better is RTwP :p
(Just think about all co-op players queuing their actions simultaneously rather than waiting out turns!)
Noooo! the turn based combat is so much better than RTwP.

Glad to see the positive reception! I'm hopeful for a short wait for the PS4 release...I wonder if Switch is the cards too, at some point! Either way, I'll pick this up eventually.

Never beat the original cause Braccus Rex kept killing my team in one hit, and that's too crazy. Hopefully this game doesn't have those types of moments! I thought the first game was a little too hard. Not by much, but just enough to put it over the line. If not, I'll deal with it, but hopefully there isn't another Braccus Rex.

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Huh? Why?

I played all of Icewind Dale in coop.

Well, I'm not too well versed with RTwP mechanics, but wouldn't you end up queueing everything at once, only to then see what the enemy does? Seems like there would be less possibility to react to stuff that happens to other characters.

Durante

Well, I'm not too well versed with RTwP mechanics, but wouldn't you end up queueing everything at once, only to then see what the enemy does? Seems like there would be less possibility to react to stuff that happens to other characters.
You pause whenever you need to do something. The good thing for coop (especially >2 people coop) is that everyone can perform their actions then, rather than just one person at a time.

But anyway, I don't want to derail this thread too much from how good Divinity OS 2 is.

You pause whenever you need to do something. The good thing for coop (especially >2 people coop) is that everyone can perform their actions then, rather than just one person at a time.

But anyway, I don't want to derail this thread too much from how good Divinity OS 2 is.

Ah right, then yes, that would be a cool addition.

Curious to see how other sites will review Divinity.

Moff

I am among the few who like rtwp, but I would not want Larian to change it for OS. They created the best round based combat system I ever played.

This might be my favorite RPG of all time beating out the likes of Witcher 1 + 2 (haven't played 3 yet), Diablo 2, Dragon Age franchise, Elder Scrolls series, and Mass Effect franchise. Have 60+ hours logged into this game and it's a massive improvement from the first game in narrative.

Well deserved for Larian. $45 is a fucking steal for this game.

george_us

Ugh the wait for this on (hopefully) PS4 is going to be grueling. Still only about half way through the first as I got sidetracked but the 35 hours I currently have invested have been amazing.

Top Bottom