• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 review thread

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Reviews are starting to trickle in for this amazing RPG.

OpenCritic
Metacritic

Gameinformer: 9.75/10
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time, and Larian's continued dedication to creating incredible freeform adventures inspired by tabletop lineage is inspiring and commendable. A few bugs and frustrating encounters are small prices to pay for a lavish ensemble of the genre's best and a one-of-a-kind experience.

IGN: 9.6/10
Divinity: Original Sin 2 may have been designed in the spirit of decades-old RPGs like Baldur's Gate 2, but that legacy serves only as a foundation for the expansive game Larian has built on top of it. Few other RPGs allow such a wide range of flexibility while also supporting rewarding combat and a powerful story, all in a world that feels alive in the ways it reacts to you and goes about its business without you. It's a rare RPG that I'll want to play through again and again, driven by the feeling that so many fascinating and surprising paths remain undiscovered, some of which might lead to different outcomes for the NPCs I've grown to care about – even the rats. When that happens, you're experiencing something worth remembering, and Divinity: Original Sin 2 will be remembered as one of the greats.

PCGamer: 92/100
That's true of the game in general. Its scope can be intimidating, but not overwhelming, and there's usually a way to fix a mistake. If you murder someone you need to talk to for a quest, for instance, there's a good chance that looting their corpse will send you in the right direction. So it can be punishing, certainly, but never cruel.

And it's that intimidating, ambitious scope, that dedication to player freedom, that makes Divinity: Original Sin 2 so impressive. There isn't another RPG that lets you do so much. Larian promised a lot, and it has absolutely followed through, crafting a singular game that juggles a bounty of complex, immersive systems, and never drops them.

Eurogamer: "Essential"
There's such a wide range of influences visible in Larian's work. Ultima and XCOM are the obvious ones, but there are other moments, such as when you're breaking into a house or searching for a hidden hatch to the basement, that the game suddenly feels more like Thief or Dishonored. The game foremost in my mind while playing, however, was The Witcher 3.

This isn't because of the setting or Divinity's similar ponderings over morality. It's because I thought it would be many years before I played another RPG that was even close to being that rich with choice and charisma. Original Sin 2 has made me question that belief, and I don't think I could give it a higher accolade.

USGamer: 5/5
It has been a long time since I've played a game that loves the idea of role-playing as much as Divinity: Original Sin 2 does. It's simply an amazing CRPG, not based on nostalgia, but on the concept of allowing the player to do what they want in the world of Rivellon. Original Sin 2 doesn't handhold, but it also doesn't restrict you. There are a few modern games like it, but nothing that has as many options within and without of the game world. For the second time in past few years, I applaud Larian Studios for doing so much with the resources at hand. Divinity: Original Sin 2 has the strongest recommendation I can give.
Gamespot: 10/10
From lonely farmhouses through pitched battles with gods in far-flung dimensions, Divinity: Original Sin II is one of the most captivating role-playing games ever made. Its immaculately conceived and emotion-wrought fantasy world, topped by brilliant tactical combat, make it one of the finest games of the year thus far, and it has to be regarded as an instant classic in the pantheon of RPG greats.
Keen Gamer: 10/10
All I can say in conclusion that you go and buy this game. You will not regret it. There are a few issues here and there which are completely overshadowed by all the great parts. If you are more real-time action-oriented, the fact that Original Sin 2 is an isometric RPG with turn-based combat might repel you but on the other hand, it could, like it did with me, make you love it every step of the way.

Gameskinny: 9/10
I've been trying to think of things I legitimately don't like about the game and can only come up with minor quibbles, like the fact that some of the standard key bindings don't quite make sense to me. Why does the G button bring up the crafting screen instead of the C button? Why does tab switch to combat instead of highlighting the stuff on the ground?

Other than that, and my distaste for comic relief, there's really nothing about Divinity: Original Sin 2 that doesn't scream "RPG of the year!" It's got everything an RPG fanatic could want: crafting, 10 types of skill categories to choose from, different build foci, robust combat, interesting characters and quests, and plenty more. Basically, if you love anything cRPG related from the Infinity Engine forward, you need to buy this game.

Multiplayer.it: 9.4/10
Divinity: Original Sin II is the perfect sequel to an already excellent game. The finish work done by Larian Studios is really commendable, as well as the most attention placed on all the most criticized aspects of the original. The result is a deeper, wider, technically improved role playing role, and now has a more interesting narrative side, qualitatively close to the level of some of the best productions of Obsidian. Do not play it would really be a crime, both for fans of the genre and for all those who love video games and do not get scared by more complicated systems than the average. So, do yourself a favor and buy one of the new bechmarks for hardcore role playing.
PCGamesN: 9/10
Divinity: Original Sin 2 stands as a remarkable example of three genres: the classic roleplaying game, the online arena battler, and the tabletop-style adventure enabler. If its campaign fails to shake off some of Larian's unfriendlier habits, those flaws are mitigated by the ways in which the studio have shaped a genre moulded by nostalgia into genuinely new forms - changing more than just the keyboard shortcuts for the better.

Hardcore Gamer: 5/5
Divinity: Original Sin II pulled off the impressive task of taking the kitchen sink approach to game design by cramming as much into it as possible yet somehow making it all work, making it a fantastic title for solo or multiplayer gaming. Playing the Divinity: Original Sin is not required to enjoy this title or its story, though having played the first game will make the experience more rewarding. Everything about Divinity: Original Sin II is of the highest quality and any negatives that could be said are basically nitpicking, such as the camera angles might obscure characters one percent of the time or the inventory set up isn't as nice as you've seen in some other games. No game is perfect, but this one comes closer than most. Larian Studios created a masterpiece with Divinity: Original Sin and using that as a template and listening to player feedback during the development process, they challenged themselves to create a superior successor and accomplished that goal. Divinity: Original Sin II is not only a contender for best game of 2017, but one of the best RPGs ever created. The game could easily take a hundred hours to complete and the interplay between the well-constructed story, gameplay mechanics and player freedom creates a world I could see myself revisiting with different parties just to watch the story unfold differently. Simply put, Divinity: Original Sin II is truly divine.

Gameblog.fr: 9/10
Divinity Original Sin 2 is undoubtedly one of the best RPGs in a long time. With a wealth of depth and unfathomable depth, the title of Larian Studios swims quietly out of category by offering what is best in the genre. So much so that we had to dig our brain to find faults, for even if it is not exempt, none is up to counter balancing the astronomical sum of positive points. At the same time technical, visual and mechanical beauty, DOS II is at the RPG what watchmaking Switzerland is to watches. Work of goldsmiths.

Rock Paper Shotgun: Recommended
Right from the start there are so many stories that it can be overwhelming trying to keep track of exactly what is happening where, and who said what, and why that person deserves to be chopped into bits. With all the voices and distractions clamouring for your attention, it's important to tune into whatever is most interesting at any one moment rather than trying to take in everything at once. You might want to pick a pocket or two and that might land you in a cell or in a scrap with some guards, and from there you'll find new adventures. Or you might flirt with that unpredictable enchantress who joined your party and find yourself falling for her, then wonder just what to do when a couple of gods question your taste in romantic partners by suggesting she might kill you and your friends while you're sleeping. Maybe the solution is to turn her into a chicken, though that could certainly present new problems.

corin7

Neo Member
It really is incredible. Started my play through Saturday morning intending to do a few hours and then get back to Destiny 2. Never got back to Destiny 2... all weekend.

ZZMitch

Still playing through the first one! Amazing experience and the voice overs are very impressive. Excited to give the enhanced edition of #2 a play in a year or 2.

JMY86

This is fantastic! Well done Larian you deserve all the praise in the world for this incredible game. I didn't think any game would touch Persona 5 for my GOTY but I was so wrong. Damn I love this game...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Here is my review:
I turned a giant green poison lizard into a chicken and it ran into a puddle of electrified water and died

That's pretty much all you need to know

Gator86

Glad to see such high scores and acclaim. I need to read up on this. All the hype made me interested in the first but I fucking hated it. Maybe this one will hook me.

wamberz1

Thinking about getting it, but man... I tried like 8 times to do the same with the first one but never could. Something about the gameplay I just didn't like.

Fine to play this solo, right? Is there a matchmaking system or is it friends only? Might give it a spin and then refund if I'm not finding it enjoyable.

Can anyone speak to the difficulty of this game? One of the off-putting factors of the first one for me was to hear people, who were well versed in CRPG's, say that it was incredibly difficult to get into due to the difficulty, which completely told me, as a newb to the genre to stay away. Is this any easier to get into, or still basically just for fans of the genre, or people who have the time to put into re-rolling and so forth?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Can anyone speak to the difficulty of this game? One of the off-putting factors of the first one for me was to hear people, who were well versed in CRPG's, say that it was incredibly difficult to get into due to the difficulty, which completely told me, as a newb to the genre to stay away. Is this any easier to get into, or still basically just for fans of the genre, or people who have the time to put into re-rolling and so forth?

Both games have an easy mode.

Aeana

Original Sin 1 was my game of the year that year. I can't wait to start 2... just gotta finish up what I'm playing right now. I couldn't possibly be more excited.

robertoci

Absolutely fantastic game, there is just so much to do and all of it so far has been worth doing!

I think this could be my favourite RPG of all time at this rate, just brilliant.

AndersK

I was lukewarm on the first game (mostly a matter of tone/writing. Wayyyy to silly and not amusing enough to pull it off).

So far this is such a massive improvement. Like, holy shit. And its not even fully priced...45 euros brehs. Gameplay is even better than the first.

You can be a barrelmancer. Pump your strenght, find a massive crate. Fill it with junk. Use your strength to throw it at enemies and crush them mercilessly.

This is viable. What in the world.

DarkStream

Thinking about getting it, but man... I tried like 8 times to do the same with the first one but never could. Something about the gameplay I just didn't like.

Fine to play this solo, right? Is there a matchmaking system or is it friends only? Might give it a spin and then refund if I'm not finding it enjoyable.

Solo is the way to go (Unless you and your friends want to commit and set up schedules). Matchmaking wouldn't suit this game whatsoever. It really isn't comparable to anything out there. You'll know once you play it.

I feel you, it is quite difficult to wrap your head around everything.
It took me over 10 tries and around two years to get into the first game. I always gave up.
I then commited to the first game tor two of my gaming evenings and it finally clicked. I'm addicted to the games ever since. The freedom in gameplay Larian offers you is unbelievable. Makes a lot of other RPGs feel like empty shells. The Skyrims, Fallouts and any other so-called AAA RPGs of this world:

Take note.

PS:

iXILGZR.png

I think this pictures just shows you what a great attitude Larian have. CD Project Red and Larian are just top of the class when it comes to the mindset on how they approach a game.

Ferrio

Banned
I've been playing with 3 other people, and it's hands down the best representation of playing DnD in video game form. I'd say in some ways it's even better.

One example is about how information is passed to players. In DnD when someone receives information that the other players don't, you have to do the whole roleplay ignorance while their character describes something they just heard. I always hated that part as it's necessary for the roleplay, but always comes off feeling awkward. In this game if you're not there for a conversation you 100% miss out, and any information has to be relayed to you by the other players. I love we can all be doing our own things affecting the story, then having to piece it together by relating what we've learned.

Gothos

Said it OT, will repeat now - best isometric RPG since Baldur's 2. Heck, maybe even the best one in overall RPG category :)

rtcn63

I've been keeping up and seeing non-reviewers bring up weird technical issues (memory leaks, etc.) and strange choices like the camera zoom-in resetting after talking to an NPC (controller users zoom-in so they can see things easier). And your character walks super fucking slow.

Unless they patched that stuff out already?

z1ggy

Probably one of the best RPGs ever made. The deep of the battle system, the writting, the VA, the music, everything is top notch. A lot of devs should look at this game as its setting the bar too fucking high for the genre.

OmegaDL50

When Larian had a publisher in the past CDV I believe were some what over controlling. Sven and crew wanted to do a lot more but publisher mandates forced them to release the games as is without the extra polish and work they wanted to do.

With the first Original Sin it was the first time that Larian could make the game they wanted with no controlling publisher. Being fully independant allowed them to do what they wanted without restrictions or falling in line with publishers saying the sort of project they wanted to release wouldn't do well on the market.

I'm glad the independant Larian proved the skeptical publishing firms wrong and the game is marvelous due to their dedication in pleasing their fan base and giving folks what they want out of these sorts of games.

The same applies to Divinity: Original Sin 2. It is really an amazing game despite putting only 5 hours into it. I can see where the improvements are from the first Original Sin.

It's simply the best CRPG ever made, period. Whilst it doesn't follow the D&D ruleset it does borrow from it and use its own unique and original rules, allowing the game so much freedom and creativity with the story, gameplay, lore and true pen & paper feel.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Tried to play the first one and gave up during the tutorial because I thought it was fairly boring. Do these games hang their hat on their combat system? Or does the writing / choices get as good as prime bioware / Black Isle?

There aren't enough hours in the day (where both myself and my co-op partner are free) to play this magnificent game. Feel like we've barely scratched the surface on it, but D:OS 1 was fantastic and this one is living up to the mantle so far.

Arulan

This is one of the best examples of a game where the thought I wonder if I can do this? rings true throughout all areas of game design, from combat to how you progress through quests. The game gives you a remarkable amount of freedom and respects your ability to wield it.

You can be a barrelmancer. Pump your strenght, find a massive crate. Fill it with junk. Use your strength to throw it at enemies and crush them mercilessly.

This is viable. What in the world.

This is one example of the ridiculous but incredibly fun things you can do with that freedom.

Top Bottom