• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Division Targeting Destiny Community w/ Marketing

Not sure if anyone noticed or if this has been discussed already, but this was the first time I saw the comparison being made in actual marketing:

rtNjqy7.jpg

Just got that in an email. Never went to "Gamezone" before, but that's a pretty straightforward quote to slap on marketing.

Not new for Ubisoft. They did the same with Watch_Dogs and GTAV. Destiny's audience is for the taking, and The Division may successfully take quite a lot of them.

Not for good. Destiny still has vastly better core gameplay and Destiny 2 will be a massive success. The Division feels more like a nice substitute until Bungie gets their shit together.

deoee

When Destiny falls, we rise...

it's still kinda shitty to do so but hey, it's just a quote

This is the way of things in games. One series/franchise sets things up, then gets too comfortable, and another comes to deliver a better experience, then someone else comes, etc.

I expect Destiny 2 to blow The Division out of the water, but right now blowing Destiny TTK out of the water is not a hard task. Bungie has given up on the game and can't communicate shit with its community anymore apparently without coming off like uncaring douche canoes.

Massive has a great community management crew, and seems to be more involved via twitter and twitch. They aren't hiding their first year content at all either.

Bungie needs to be cut and clear on what we can expect. Oh well RIP Bungo until D2 2017.

Not for good. Destiny still has vastly better core gameplay and Destiny 2 will be a massive success. The Division feels more like a nice substitute until Bungie gets their shit together.

While I agree, I don't think Ubisoft care what happens next year. Their goal is to make The Division the place where folks gather, atleast for this year. Destiny 2 is 2017, so Ubisoft can enjoy 2016 with year round content.

T.O.P

Banned

Why would Ubisoft care about Destiny 2?

Also, this "Destiny had a better gameplay" trope is way too overused

pantsmith

I dont see how considering its: Shoot boss with sword for 20 minutes VS shoot yellow guy with flame thrower for 20 minutes.

Yeah, bosses are going to be bullet sponges in both, but moment to moment I don't know how you can compare the two.

Destiny has triple jumps, lightning grenades, jet packs, heatseeking rocket launchers, flaming swords, "pocket sand" as a magic melee attack, and fusion rifles that literally disintegrate your enemies. These are all fun gameplay mechanics enhanced by the fiction of the world and the sandboxy game design.

This is what I'll be doing. Halo 5+Division untill Crackdown 3, then play those 3 till Destiny 2 is out and hopefully is MUCH better. Then H5+Destiny 2 till...H6?

Yeah, bosses are going to be bullet sponges in both, but moment to moment I don't know how you can compare the two.

Destiny has triple jumps, lightning grenades, jet packs, heatseeking rocket launchers, flaming swords, "pocket sand" as a magic melee attack, and fusion rifles that literally disintegrate your enemies. These are all fun gameplay mechanics enhanced by the fiction of the world and the sandboxy game design.

All shooting games are the same. Got it.

But shooting games that have a triple jump are automatically "better gameplay"? Got it.

NIN90

I dont see how considering its: Shoot boss with sword for 20 minutes VS shoot yellow guy with flame thrower for 20 minutes.

Yup, I bet bosses in The Division will be COMPLETELY different considering how bullet spongy the elite enemies in the beta were.

bounchfx

destiny is the first thing that came to mind after playing the division for four hours
seems pretty wise on their part. it's very similar.

To be fair, The Division also has some crazy gadgets/skills that you can unlock. No, it may not have the diversity that Destiny has (mainly due to its setting), but I think it's a stretch to say that Destiny's gameplay is objectively or undeniably better--The Division isn't even out yet.

If you're referring specifically to the gunplay and/or movement, I can understand that. Shooting in Destiny feels fantastic, as does movement (for the most part). That's not everything that comprises gameplay, though.

Not as overt as I thought it was going to be given the GTAV to Watch_Dogs poke. What gets me though is why are pull quotes always so damn generic. 'Blows _blank out of the water.' Who actually talks like that, in real life? No one, so why write that shit? Reminds me of that old IdleThumbs, quotes from IGN, twitter feed.

squidyj

I disagree strongly with your first assertion but I do really hope Destiny 2 is a great game. There's a lot of potential in Destiny and they do some things right.

I will be playing the Division quite a bit but I know for a fact that the second new content is released for Destiny, I will be right back on the wagon.

Boke1879

I have no doubts that many Destiny fans are keeping a watchful on The Division. Everything I've read on it has me excited and I can't wait to play.

I think a lot of games going for this mold should look at what Destiny did wrong. Seems The Division is doing that.

Not sure if anyone noticed or if this has been discussed already, but this was the first time I saw the comparison being made in actual marketing:

Just got that in an email. Never went to "Gamezone" before, but that's a pretty straightforward quote to slap on marketing.

It depends on the content and the post content, something Destiny handled horribly imo! For me i'll skip the Division as there are too many games that i want and must pay attention to! Can not afford another 1-2 years of mindless grind!

sjay1994

Apparently they are when you can directly compare FPS to TPS;

He's already stated he has a bias

I imagine that the people who bought this game won't care. This is the kind of thing expected from this game. So it's kind of a nonissue.

And us Ubisoft critics can just sit there with a satisfied and smug look on our face.

Feels good, man.

In my opinion I believe Destiny does play better than what I played of the division in terms of game feel. But, I think Division is doing a lot more better things that Destiny did. I am not picking it up, but I would like to see the game do well.

jaaz

I hear this so much from Destiny defenders, it should be a meme. Saying this over and over again does not make it a fact. (And I've played through every Destiny expansion)

Top Bottom