• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

bryehn

DrAndonuts said:
New pack is awesome. Girls on Film vs Pokerface is awesome.

It really isn't at all. I've been listening to Duran Duran for like 30 years and I like GaGa, but that was, hands-down the most disappointing mashup ever to grace DJ Hero.

bryehn said:
It really isn't at all. I've been listening to Duran Duran for like 30 years and I like GaGa, but that was, hands-down the most disappointing mashup ever to grace DJ Hero.

Really? I thought the first minute was a little meh, but the rest more than made up for it.

802828b1.jpg

I just had a thought, how cool would it have been if the Rock Band stage kit (colored lights and fog machine) worked for this game? That thing's like, $20 at Gamestop now. I don't want to give Activision too many ideas but seriously, I'd probably buy a DJ Hero equivalent if they made one.

woodypop

^ Yeah, I picked one up a couple months back for $20. It's pretty cool, especially at such a rock-bottom price. You're right, it would be awesome if other music games supported it (DJ Hero, Singstar, Lips, etc.)

see5harp

Really enjoying this game, but god damn some of the mixes are horrible. Particularly the scratch/beat juggle heavy mixes seeming like exercises in coordination and patience. Gameplay wise, I understand they have to include these types of mixes to provide a difficulty curve, but damn are they hard to listen to. Worse than the speed metal endings to the Rock Band games IMO.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I never bought the Rock Band stage kit. It does seem pretty cool, but I don't think I'd have any use for it. Although it is tempting if it's $20 on GameStop...

I'm blaming you if I end up buying the stage kit on an impulse. I will never forgive you!

see5harp said:
Really enjoying this game, but god damn some of the mixes are horrible. Particularly the scratch/beat juggle heavy mixes seeming like exercises in coordination and patience. Gameplay wise, I understand they have to include these types of mixes to provide a difficulty curve, but damn are they hard to listen to. Worse than the speed metal endings to the Rock Band games IMO.
I'm the complete opposite. It's easy to follow the beat on those songs. The mixes are pretty good, but the mixes that involve guitar in any way can go fuck off. THOSE are the worst ones in the game and frankly, do NOT belong in a game that's about DJing. And I guess I play Rock Band too much because up to this day, I don't find it hard to get the rhythm of those crazy ass guitar solos.

Also, unrelated to your post, but this was the easiest music game to move upwards the difficulty chain. It wasn't as hard like moving from Easy to Expert like in Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

ncaron

Neo Member
I really dunno about the Duran / Gaga mix... Something feels wrong, almost shameful about it.

In comparison the Gaga / Deadmau5 mix is brilliant.

see5harp

Really I want to play stuff that is both challenging and fun to listen to, and many of the mixes, even involving songs I love, don't really seem to be that creative mix wise. It's like they got the licenses for a bunch of cool songs, then just randomly started mixing them together. I like a good number of the mixes, but almost none of the music in the game is stuff I'd ever listen to in a normal setting. The game is still satisfying when you're hitting notes and crossfades in tough sections.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Kotaku said:
2Pac
50 Cent
Adamski
Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force
Armand Van Helden
A-Trak
B.o.B.
Basement Jaxx
BlakRoc
Bobby Womack
Bruno Mars
Busta Rhymes
Calvin Harris
Chamillionaire
Chic
Chris Willis
Clinton Sparks
Colby O'Donis
Daft Punk
Damian Marley
David Guetta
Deadmau5
Deee-Lite
Dillinja
Diplo
Dizzee Rascal
DJ Shadow
Donna Summer
Dr. Dre
Drake
Edwin Starr
Eminem
Estelle
Flo Rida
Gorillaz
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Harold Faltermeyer
House Of Pain
Iyaz
Jackson 5
Janet Jackson
Justice
Kanye West
Kaskade
Kelis
Keri Hilson
Kid Cudi
Kool & The Gang
Lady Gaga
Lil Jon
Lil Wayne
LL Cool J
M.I.A.
M|A|R|R|S
Major Lazer
Malcolm McLaren
Mase
Melle Mel & Duke Bootee
Metallica
Missy Elliott
Mos Def
MSTRKRFT
N.O.R.E.
Nas
Nate Dogg
Naughty By Nature
Nelly
New Boyz
New Order
Newcleus
Nightcrawlers
Orbital
Pharoahe Monch
Pirate Soundsystem
Pitbull
Puff Daddy
Pussycat Dolls
Rihanna
Robin S.
RZA
Salt N Pepa
Sam Cooke
Sam Sparro
Sean Paul
Skibadee
Sneaky Sound System
Snoop Dogg
Snow
Soulja Boy Tell Em
Sparfunk & D-Code
Static Major
Stevie Wonder
Talib Kweli
The Chemical Brothers
The Crystal Method
The Egg
The Notorious B.I.G.
The Prodigy
Tiësto
Tiga
Timbaland
Tweet
Walter Murphy
Warren G
Wayne Smith
Will.I.Am
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Young Jeezy

Looks great to me.

EYEL1NER

OH MY GOD!!!
I hope A-Trak and Yeah Yeah Yeahs means we are going to get the Heads Will Roll remix. That would be awesome.

Edit: After looking a bit more at the list, Day One. I knew I would be getting this early on, but now I am chomping at the bit to play it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I agree.

By the way, I keep forgetting to ask this question every single time I stop by here.

Since we've all played the game and heard everything, what's your favorite mix in the game?

For me, the best mix in the game is Around the World vs. Bust A Move. Best. Mix. EVER. I'm curious to see your answers. ;)

DJ_Tet

Banned
The X360 Renegade edition is on sale again @ amazon

I got it for $66 a few weeks ago and it's a great package. The stand/case is sturdier than you probably think, it feels thick like a real turntable case. Also the included double CD is a nice extra if you like either artist.

thundr51

Rewrite said:
Great list. I'm excited*
69.gif

*Except for those guitar mixes. Those can go fucking die.

This man speaks the truth! I've managed to 5 star most of the songs except for one of those guitar mixes...oh and groundhog:lol

Magik

Rewrite said:
I agree.

By the way, I keep forgetting to ask this question every single time I stop by here.

Since we've all played the game and heard everything, what's your favorite mix in the game?

For me, the best mix in the game is Around the World vs. Bust A Move. Best. Mix. EVER. I'm curious to see your answers. ;)

Satisfaction/Elements of Life is my favorite mix. Its just so good.

I really hope they get rid of the Guitar Mixes altogether. They just suck ass and take away precious space that could be used for other songs.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Satisfaction vs. Elements of Life is so goooood too.

By the way, PR for DJ Hero 2. DJ Qbert is in:

SANTA MONICA, CA – July 22, 2010 – When the party starts this October, budding beat chemists, singing sensations and all of their friends will fire up two turntable controllers and a microphone, and spin, scratch and battle with the legendary turntablist DJ Qbert in Activision Publishing Inc.’s (Nasdaq: ATVI) DJ Hero® 2. A defining member of DJ culture, having been crowned the best in his craft in multiple world championship competitions and revolutionized turntablism, DJ Qbert joins the distinguished rank of playable characters that will appear in-game, including Deadmau5, David Guetta and others, and will deliver two scratch intensive mixes to the best soundtrack in entertainment.

“I’m excited about finally getting to bring the art of turntablism’s defining skills, as well as two exclusive mixes, to DJ Hero 2,” said DJ Qbert. “It’s been a dream of mine as a gamer to battle myself on the turntables and now millions of fans around the world and their friends will get their chance to also.”

“As a pioneer of his craft, DJ Qbert’s one-of-a-kind scratch and battle skills made him an amazing partner and prefect representative of DJ Hero 2’s new multiplayer modes, especially the unique DJ vs. DJ battle mixes,” said Tim Riley, Vice President of Music Affairs, Activision. “We’re bringing together the biggest and best DJ’s from around the globe, having already announced Deadmau5 and David Guetta as part of our incredibly talented crew, and having DJ Qbert cut up records in his signature style will help us put an indelible stamp on the DJ Hero 2 soundtrack.”

The ultimate mixer of music and friends, DJ Hero 2 will deliver the definitive way for players to come together and party with a host of new multiplayer modes – including DJ Battles that pit DJ against DJ in mixes produced specifically for battle gameplay – and invite vocalists into the spotlight with integrated on-screen singing and rapping of lyrics and rhymes while bringing the party to life with jump-in/jump-out Party Play gameplay. Featuring the biggest dance, pop and hip-hop hits by the hottest artists everyone knows and loves remixed by world-class DJ’s in an all-new way, the game’s soundtrack delivers over 80 unique creations only available in DJ Hero 2. Further immersing players into the music, the game offers a heightened level of creative input and allows everyone to add their own touch, directly impacting the beats they’re spinning with freestyle scratching, crossfading and sampling. The game will also feature an all-new career-based Empire Mode where players start out as an up-and-coming DJ on the road to becoming the head of a major entertainment empire, all of which is founded solely on their success as a DJ.

Dropping this fall, DJ Hero 2 will invite a wave of new digital disc jockeys to the turntables as the game will be available as a Party Bundle which will include a copy of the game, two turntable controllers and a microphone, offering the ultimate “party-in-a-box.” Gamers who experienced the #1 new videogame intellectual property of 2009 can pick up DJ Hero 2 as a Turntable Bundle featuring one turntable controller and a copy of the game or as standalone software. The game is in development by FreeStyleGames for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 and the Wii™ system from Nintendo. The game is rated “T” (Teen – Mild Suggestive Themes, Lyrics) by the ESRB. For more information about DJ Hero 2, please visit www.djhero.com, www.facebook.com/djhero and www.twitter.com/djhero.

As a bonus, two video clips of the mixes!

First

Second

Pretty cool sounding mixes.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Hmmm - I hope I can get the exclusive CD that's sure to come with the "renegade" edition of DJ Hero 2 *without* buying the hardware.

Just got the game recently. Its a blast! Theres a huge amount of AWESOME mixes.

Despite what people here think, some of the rock mixes are great.

But Groundhog can go to hell, that one is inhumanly disgusting. :/

Just got this for my birthday on the 31st and it's hands down the best peripheral-based rhythm action game I've played in years. Once you get used to the crossfader. Noisia is amazing, however Foo Fighters vs. Beastie Boys can kiss my arse.

fake edit: I realise that I'm being a bit specific in my praise above, but it is really good.

Full song list for DJ Hero 2 has been revealed:

from Yahoo!
DJ Hero 2 Song List:

2Pac feat. Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman - "California Love Remix"
50 Cent - "In Da Club"
Adamski - "Killer"
Afrika Bambaataa and The Soul Sonic Force - "Planet Rock"
Armand Van Helden - "I Want Your Soul"
A-Trak - "Say Whoa"
B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars - "Nothin' On You"
Basement Jaxx - "Where's Your Head At"
BlakRoc feat. Pharoahe Monch & RZA - "Dollaz & Sense"
Busta Rhymes - "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See"
Calvin Harris - "I'm Not Alone"
Chamillionaire - "Ridin'"
Chic - "Good Times"
Chic - "Le Freak"
Clinton Sparks, DJ Class, & Jermaine Dupri - "Favorite DJ"
Daft Punk - "Human After All"
Damian Marley - "Welcome To Jamrock"
David Guetta & Chris Willis - "Love Is Gone"
David Guetta feat. Kid Cudi - "Memories"
David Guetta vs. The Egg - "Love Don't Let Me Go (Walking Away)"
Deadmau5 - "Ghosts N Stuff"
Deadmau5 & Kaskade - "I Remember"
Deee-Lite - "Groove Is In The Heart"
Dillinja and Skibadee - "Twist 'Em Out"
Dizzee Rascal & Armand Van Helden - "Bonkers"
DJ Qbert - "Super Battle Breaks"
DJ Shadow - "Midnight In A Perfect World"
DJ Shadow feat. Q-Tip and Lateef The Truth Speaker - "Enuff (DJ Fresh Remix)"
Donna Summer - "Bad Girls"
Edwin Starr - "War"
Eminem - "Not Afraid"
Estelle feat. Kanye West - "American Boy"
Flo Rida - "Low"
Flo Rida feat. Will.I.Am - "In The Ayer"
Gorillaz feat. Mos Def & Bobby Womack - "Stylo"
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five feat. Melle Mel & Duke Bootee - "The Message"
Harold Faltermeyer - "Axel F"
House Of Pain - "Jump Around"
Iyaz - "Replay"
Janet Jackson - "Nasty"
Justice - "D.A.N.C.E."
Justice - "Waters Of Nazareth"
Kanye West - "Heartless"
Kanye West - "Love Lockdown"
Kaskade & Deadmau5 - "Move For Me"
Kelis - "Acapella (David Guetta Extended Mix)"
Kool & The Gang - "Jungle Boogie"
Lady Gaga - "Lovegame"
Lady Gaga - "Bad Romance"
Lady Gaga feat. Colby O'Donis - "Just Dance"
Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz feat. Ying Yang Twins - "Get Low"
Lil' Wayne - "Go DJ"
Lil' Wayne feat. Static Major - "Lollipop"
LL Cool J - "I Can't Live Without My Radio"
M.I.A. - "Galang"
M|A|R|R|S - "Pump Up The Volume"
Major Lazer feat. VYBZ Kartel - "Pon De Floor"
Malcolm McLaren - "Buffalo Gals"
Metallica - "The Day That Never Comes"
Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On"
MSTRKRFT feat. N.O.R.E. - "Bounce"
Nas feat. Keri Hilson - "Hero"
Naughty By Nature - "O.P.P."
Nelly - "Hot In Herre"
New Boyz - "You're A Jerk"
New Order - "Blue Monday"
Newcleus - "Jam On It"
Nightcrawlers - "Push The Feeling On (MK Mix 95)"
Orbital - "The Box"
Pirate Soundsystem - "Bashy Bashy"
Pitbull - "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)"
Pussycat Dolls feat. Busta Rhymes - "Don't Cha"
Rihanna - "Pon De Replay"
Rihanna - "Rude Boy"
Robin S - "Show Me Love (Stonebridge Radio Edit)"
Salt N Pepa - "Push It"
Sam Cooke - "Chain Gang"
Sam Sparro - "B&G" a/k/a "Black & Gold"
Sean Paul - "Infiltrate"
Sean Paul - "Get Busy"
Snoop Dogg - "Who Am I (What's My Name)?"
Snow - "Informer"
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - "Crank That (Soulja Boy)"
Sparfunk & D-Code - "Apocalypse"
Stevie Wonder - "Superstition"
Talib Kweli - "Get By"
The Chemical Brothers - "Leave Home"
The Chemical Brothers feat. Q-Tip - "Galvanize"
The Crystal Method - "Busy Child (Still Busy After All These Years Remix)"
The Jackson 5 - "ABC"
The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Mase & Diddy - "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems"
The Prodigy - "Omen"
The Prodigy - "Firestarter"
Tiësto - "Speed Rail"
Tiësto & Sneaky Sound System - "I Will Be Here"
Tiësto vs Diplo - "Come On"
Tiga - "You Gonna Want Me"
Timbaland feat. Drake - "Say Something"
Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E. - "The Way I Are"
Tweet feat. Missy Elliott - "Oops (Oh My)"
Walter Murphy - "A Fifth Of Beethoven"
Warren G feat. Nate Dogg - "Regulate"
Wayne Smith - "Under Mi Sleng Teng"
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix )"
Young Jeezy feat. Kanye West - "Put On"

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
There's some fucking amazing picks in there. There's only a few where I question the picks, but the majority of the tracks are great, IMO.

btkadams

i dunno, i feel like the tracklist is full of a bunch of tracks that were hot last season. maybe it's because i follow electronic music constantly, but i feel like i've already played out and gotten so damn sick of most of those lol. i guess the dj hero team makes them into remixes, so that should be interesting. i'd like to hear some of the mixes before i'm totally sold.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just bought 1 today, and looking at the list for both 1 and 2. I have to say I like 1's much more :lol Starting off with Queen+Daft Punk was win

mehdi_san

That playlist looks awesome. Of course, and it was the same for DJ Hero 1, I don't recognize half the tracks, but it still enough to get me excited. I just pre-ordered it from axelmusic.com. HYPE!!

Galang

Banned
Pretty awesome list all around! Even for the artists I don't listen to regularly, the songs they chose for them would of been my picks anyway! 'Galang' alone would of got me to purchase. :lol Will be my first hero game - don't normally like games like this, but willing to give it a shot again.

Baron

Are the turntable controllers included in DJ Hero 1 any different from the controller in game #2? Is one of them more desirable over the other, due to build quality or anything like that?

Baron said:
Are the turntable controllers included in DJ Hero 1 any different from the controller in game #2? Is one of them more desirable over the other, due to build quality or anything like that?
Nope, they're the same exact thing.

jkanownik

Baron said:

The differences are purely cosmetic. Personally I prefer the colors of the two turntables in the party bundle (silver + white versus gray in base units or black/gold in the Renegade bundles).

Baron

Neuromancer said:
Nope, they're the same exact thing.

jkanownik said:
The differences are purely cosmetic. Personally I prefer the colors of the two turntables in the party bundle (silver + white versus gray in base units or black/gold in the Renegade bundles).

Okay, good. I picked up DJ Hero 1 recently, just wanted to know if I was missing out by not having the newer model turntable.

Top Bottom