• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Khaled to sue Billboard because he's a big No. 2

Bullet Club

A big No. 2 on the charts, that is.

DJ Khaled planning monster lawsuit against Billboard Chart

DJ Khaled is poised to hit the Billboard Chart with a monster lawsuit alleging the organization unfairly disqualified more than 100,000 sales of “Father of Asahd,” robbing him of the No. 1 spot.

Khaled was furious when his album came in at No.  2 to Tyler, the Creator’s “IGOR,” after Billboard allegedly discounted downloads sold by the DJ and producer as part of a “bundle deal” with an energy drink. Bundle deals, which offer album downloads alongside merchandise, are a standard but controversial industry practice to boost sales.

We’re told Billboard had agreed it would count downloads from Khaled’s energy drink package, which sources in the artist’s camp say amounted to more than 100,000. Billboard later backtracked, disqualifying Khaled’s entire sales from the promotion, arguing there were “anomalies” in his figures. Page Six has exclusively learned that lawyers for Khaled have fired off a letter to Silvio Pietroluongo, SVP of charts and data development at Billboard.

A DJ Khaled source said, “When Khaled’s team tried to appeal, Billboard refused to budge.” The source said the situation was all the more unjust because Tyler, the Creator’s bundle deal figures were included in his total sales. On May 30, Billboard announced Tyler debuted at No. 1 with 165,000 albums sold, with Khaled at No. 2 at 137,000. Not fair, argues Khaled’s team.

Page Six exclusively reported a few days ago that Khaled had a tense meeting with Sylvia Rhone, chairman and CEO of his label Epic, over the matter. The source explained, “Khaled was frustrated his label didn’t fight harder for his bundle sales to be included.”

A Billboard source disputed that 100,000 DJ Khaled sales were disqualified but admitted an undisclosed number of his sales were ruled out because “there were strange anomalies in the data,” adding that the decision was based on chart rules following talks with Khaled’s management, Sony Records and Nielsen. Billboard announced it has reviewed its rules allowing artists to bundle albums with merch and will outline a new policy for 2020.

Reps for DJ Khaled didn’t comment, and Billboard also declined to comment.

Source: Page Six

Imagine suing for a chart position in 2019. In the 80s it would have been understandable when you would have the prestige of being above Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits and other bands starting with D, but today you are up against Billy Ray Cyrus & Baby Shark so it's a waste of time and money.

Last edited:
Khaled is acting like a douche. He is a beloved meme character. Dangerously close to throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If he is ruining the illusion of him being this entertaining toddler in an adult mans body, I think a lot of people will grow tired of his shit. Really, really hope for his sake that he stops this shit. Going Kanye-mode is not going to work well for him. He cannot produce, he cannot rap, sing nor is he musically gifted.

It's hard to believe that someone can go to bed at night thinking about how they need to sue someone because they sold their music with unhealthy energy drinks and it didnt count towards them getting a thing.

Selling music with energy drinks

Suing because of that.

How mentally unhealthy he must be

It's hard to believe that someone can go to bed at night thinking about how they need to sue someone because they sold their music with unhealthy energy drinks and it didnt count towards them getting a thing.

Suing because of that.

i agree 100%, but from their and the labels pov...a lot of money, passion, time, work went into releasing the album...so to essentially lose first place because a few hanging chads were discredited, youre going to do whatever you can to fight for the time, efforts, love, money, and "stamp on history"....

not agreeing in their favor just looking at it from the other side.

Last edited:

manfestival

Suing because of that.

You dont know the terms of his contract. The guy is a huge name whether you like him or not. There is probably a massive bonus that was predicated on him hitting number 1. The guy also has a lavish lifestyle and probably sucks at managing his money in order to stay afloat. There are so many factors that make your post dishonest. Is he mentally unstable? Probably.... that guy is really strange.

Raises my question, I don't pay too much attention to NPD but do bundled games(with consoles and etc) count towards the overall numbers that can push a title to number 1?

cryptoadam

Banned
reminds me off when game companies were getting bonuses for having a certain metacritic score.

Like the above he probably has some sort of compensation coming his way if he hit number 1 on the charts, I doubt he is so vain that he has to be number 1.

If he is getting lawyers involved then I don't doubt there is a monetary reason behind this.

jadedm17

Awkward situation, if the person at number 2 did get their combo sales included but he didn't then he has a point - though I'm not sure how much of one legally? Sounds frustrating at the least, even if from the consumer side I'm also inclined to mock the whole situation of how the industry is setup to need Energy Drink sales to be the biggest album sold.

Raises my question, I don't pay too much attention to NPD but do bundled games(with consoles and etc) count towards the overall numbers that can push a title to number 1?
As far as I'm aware they largely don't for real tracking sites, like how Mario NES and Wii Sports are largely not considered the best selling game by charts even if they technically are since they were packed with nearly every single system. When gaming sales are calculated they're not included, I don't think anyways.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Im pretty sure the music industry doesn’t offer bonuses lol. Even if they did there is enough crooked accounting to probably make it look like every release loses money.

If you make #1 maybe you get a gold record to frame and put on a wall but that’s it.

Anyone expecting longevity in any pop medium is fooling themselves. The culture is built on disposability

Last edited:

Pejo

Imagine, for a moment, that this is the type of thing that rustle your jimmies so much, that it causes you to file a lawsuit.

You dont know the terms of his contract. The guy is a huge name whether you like him or not. There is probably a massive bonus that was predicated on him hitting number 1. The guy also has a lavish lifestyle and probably sucks at managing his money in order to stay afloat. There are so many factors that make your post dishonest. Is he mentally unstable? Probably.... that guy is really strange.

lol what the fuck does the bold even mean?

What on earth is dishonest in a post mocking some fuckwit who is angry the songs he sold with energy drinks didnt make him number 1.

brap

Banned
LOL, what the FUCK does he even DO other than yell stupid shit over a track? someone, for the love of god, explain this to me.......
He gets all the big names to rap together on albums because he's friends with them all. He used to be an actual DJ.

What a stupid, petty little asshole. I bet his son is a dick, too.
His son is like 2 years old lmao

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
He gets all the big names to rap together on albums because he's friends with them all. He used to be an actual DJ.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Do they REALLY need him to do this? Plenty of artists get together and make music. Sounds like he's a music pimp or something, like "yo don't play yo self, make some dope shit with my homie here, now gimme the money hoe." He makes a horrible pimp, that makes horrible music.

brap

Banned
Still doesn't make sense to me. Do they REALLY need him to do this? Plenty of artists get together and make music. Sounds like he's a music pimp or something, like "yo don't play yo self, make some dope shit with my homie here, now gimme the money hoe." He makes a horrible pimp, that makes horrible music.
Yeah they're probably all a bunch of drama queens that wouldn't do it otherwise. Or they all have a big orgy after the album is recorded.

something’s mentally wrong with you when you are suing over billboard chart positions in 2019 when that chart means fuck all when it comes to how successful you are.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I read DJ Khaled and expected this to be stupid, but Billboard has pulled stuff like this before. I don't know that it's worth suing over, though.

Top Bottom