• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ MAX PORTABLE 2 (PSP): Its Back !!:

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My Play-Asia order of the LE has gone from "Pre-order" to "Preparing order," woooo! It's almost here!! :D

xcomp

klee123 said:
The Silver LE is back up for sale........................for 170USD! Damn Play-asia sure does know demand.
It's probably because of the 20% off crazy sale's week. If they kept it at the same price they wouldn't make much and it wouldn't be fair for those who pre-ordered early :p

klee123

xcomp said:
It's probably because of the 20% off crazy sale's week. If they kept it at the same price they wouldn't make much and it wouldn't be fair for those who pre-ordered early :p

The discount only applies to items which have been released for over a month, so it should be 170USD still.

kiryogi

Banned
So how many LEs are there? 4? I'm seeing one on ebay thats just called limited with no special name to it. I'm assuming there's now limited edition, night black, metallic silver, and gold campaigne?

fulsome

I take it that the limited edition is pretty impossible to find for a reasonable price?

Ebay was $179+70 shipping... GOD!

xcomp

Bit-Bit said:
I played a friends copy the other day. I really like it.

Is there anything similar for the DS?
None as far as I know. All their rhythm games make use of the stylus.

fulsome said:
I take it that the limited edition is pretty impossible to find for a reasonable price?

Ebay was $179+70 shipping... GOD!
Yeah, the demands are really high for them. Even when a few pre-ordered copies were made available again on launch day, they were snapped up in no time.

Still waiting for my NB LE... See you guys on the World Ranking charts then :p

I'm thinking about picking this up...I'm coming from IIDX (I love the series, but its getting stupid with the overthe top hard songs that will take you forever to beat, sucking the fun out of the game) so I should be able to adjust.

Is there a place I can check out what some of the songs are like?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I don't know, I only see the metallic silver LE on ebay.

By the way, it looks much nicer than the official photographs. The logo and text are in a much more appealing rust red rather than the nasty pink I had seen previously.

djmax2box_f.jpg

What you guys tell me about this game? I'm a huge fan of rhythm games, but haven't seen shit on this. I might just have to go out and get a PSP if its solid enough.

Murasame

DXMachina said:
What you guys tell me about this game? I'm a huge fan of rhythm games, but haven't seen shit on this. I might just have to go out and get a PSP if its solid enough.

I'm not the leading authority on rhythm games by any means, in fact the only rhythm game I played before this was Donkey Konga, nevertheless I'll try and explain and someone on here can feel free to correct me.

Firstly, DJmax is rhythm game from korea that i've been told is more or less a clone of the Beatmania games with a little tweaking and minor differences here and there. There's a PC version that has a lot of free songs to play online and also has songs that are p2p. The PC version has a 5 key mode, and a 7 key mode. 7 key can be played with just your keyboard or also with two turntables for the left and rightmost keys (where as beatmania is 7 keys with an extra turntable as the 8th "key" right?).

The major difference with the PC and PSP version is that the key settings are different. You have 4 6 and 8 key modes, but recently DJMP2 is going to have a 5 key mode too like the PC. Also, as incentive for buying the PSP version a lot of the songs that are going on it are going to be exclusive and not playable on the PC version, although there is still a fair bit of overlap. The first PSP game in particular featured songs that were almost entirely available on PC but at least it included a lot of songs that you would have to normally pay for anyway. There are a couple of other issues, for example I personally find it much easier to play with a keyboard rather than on the PSP but they more or less keep this in mind as the note patterns suit the respective platforms.

Overall DJmax is ridiculous fun. I first read about it on gaf, then decided to try out the PC version before ordering the first PSP game. I've almost been playing it for a year now and I would consider myself to be pretty good at the game but still nowhere near godly, so there's always room for improvement. It's challenging, fun, presentation wise its really well put together, I dislike some of the music but don't mind, and even like the majority of it, which was the deciding factor for me. There should be a link to the home page somewhere in this thread, and if you wanna see videos of it you can always just search youtube for djmax, there are tons.

xcomp

Mattlikewhoa said:
Check the official site and go to the music section. You can even try out the game by downloading the demo.

SnowWolf said:
I don't know, I only see the metallic silver LE on ebay.

By the way, it looks much nicer than the official photographs. The logo and text are in a much more appealing rust red rather than the nasty pink I had seen previously.

djmax2box_f.jpg
It seems Pentavision decided to change the packaging and box contents but didn't update the photos they released so the LEs you see on Ebay are authentic. Contents are still the same just that the boxart has changed. They have also added a poster and another hidden surprise...

It's a good thing they did IMO. No offence but "Metallic Silver" was looking more like "Cloudy Grey" back then. The mascot EL also looked different than before in the original photos... in a bad way.

BTW, could anyone who bought the regular version confirm the boxart is different from the LE one please?

DXMachina said:
Check out the videos on Youtube. Best source to watch things in action :lol

To learn about the new features in this sequel, visit here.

RodmanSan

I wanted to thank you guys on mentioning this game for the PSP.

I watched alot of movies concerning this game and it imediately made me wanting this..... :lol

So i ordered DJ Max Portable 2 from a company on ebay for a low price and it will be shipped this week... :D

Over here in the Netherlands this game is nowhere to be found...no import shop or whatsoever ordered this game or the previous version.

Btw.....question....anybody know any way to find Dj Max Portable 1 as it isn't anywhere available on the interweb......tx...

xcomp

RodmanSan said:
Over here in the Netherlands this game is nowhere to be found...no import shop or whatsoever ordered this game or the previous version.

Btw.....question....anybody know any way to find Dj Max Portable 1 as it isn't anywhere available on the interweb......tx...
Not many import shops here either. I just order my stuff from Playasia or Yesasia.

Yesasia used to sell DJMP but I guess they're out of stock now because I can't find it on their site anymore. You'll have to go for Ebay again or try this site:

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/index.html

I haven't used it before so I can't tell you how reliable they are, though...

XiaNaphryz said:
You're kidding right? Try Play-Asia.
They don't ship PSP titles to Europe anymore unfortunately. Shame because some of the titles they have can't be found on Yesasia such as the Korean ones.

Ramune

What the heck??? Did they purposely wait for me to not have money, so they could spring all these LEs out of no where?? :lol

:(

ProphetZG

Curious...

I'm a newb at "rhythm games" (I have only played some Ouendan and some Gitarooman), and I don't play any instruments in real life.

This game sounds good, but also seems like it might be daunting for someone like me.

Do you suppose someone (newbish, non-musician) like me might be able to grasp it enough to enjoy it properly?

Ramune

Try out the Demo! Although if your new to it, it WILL be kinda hard, but you'll get an idea of how the game works.

3.03+ Demo

Edit: Also keep in mind the actual game can be a lot easier, since you can use 3 buttons instead of the 5 buttons on the demo.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
ProphetZG said:
Curious...

I'm a newb at "rhythm games" (I have only played some Ouendan and some Gitarooman), and I don't play any instruments in real life.

This game sounds good, but also seems like it might be daunting for someone like me.

Do you suppose someone (newbish, non-musician) like me might be able to grasp it enough to enjoy it properly?

I've never played Beatmania in my life and was very intimidated by the expert videos posted online. However, I gave DJ Max a try because it was certainly stylish and the music was awesome. The good news is that there's such a wide spectrum of difficulties available that there'll certainly be something a complete newbie can tackle.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I got my Midnight Black! I'm loving the production values of this set, MUCH better than the LE for the first DJ Max Portable. The overall box closes with a magnetic strip on the flap, as does the smaller box containing the puzzle pieces, poster, and art cards. The whole package has a hefty weight to it :D

Some quick shots before I go to class. I might take better ones tonight when I have time.

42w0rp1.jpg

3zqhahe.jpg

SnowWolf said:
I got my Midnight Black! I'm loving the production values of this set, MUCH better than the LE for the first DJ Max Portable. The overall box closes with a magnetic strip on the flap, as does the smaller box containing the puzzle pieces, poster, and art cards. The whole package has a hefty weight to it :D

Some quick shots before I go to class. I might take better ones tonight when I have time.

42w0rp1.jpg

3zqhahe.jpg

I just got this too! SWEET! My box was a little dinged up, but oh well...

Also, don't forget to look under the felt part... I thought they forgot to include my artbook, but it was underneath the box packaging. Whew!

XiaNaphryz

Mattlikewhoa said:
Wow, $175? That original $150 price tag looks like a steal now.

neptunes said:
how do you guys master this? It's so damn hard sometimes, and only 4Buttons

Practice, practice, practice - you need to get to the point where you're just reacting. But some general beginner tips:

- (Might not be relevant in DJMP2, but it was in the first game) Bump the speed modifier up to 1.5x or 2x. The faster the speed, the larger the space between notes, giving you more time to react.
- Stick with difficulty 1-3 songs at first, and keep playing these until you can get at least 80-90% on them with no problem.
- After you can do the above, stick with difficulty 4-6 songs. You'll be sitting here for a while, but you'll get better in time (may take you weeks even).
- Listen to the soundtrack as much as you can outside of the game. You'll start picking up things subconsciously that can help out.

ghibli99

Mine shipped, too... was only able to order the game-only version, but I don't give a damn; I can't wait to play this! Time to dust off my PSP...

ghibli99

Mattlikewhoa said:
I'm thinking about picking this up...I'm coming from IIDX (I love the series, but its getting stupid with the overthe top hard songs that will take you forever to beat, sucking the fun out of the game) so I should be able to adjust.

DJ Max homepage... it's default is DJMP2:
http://www.djmax.co.kr (click on MUSIC)

DJMP1:
http://penta.junehost.com/DJMAX1/ (click on MUSIC)

As a Bemani/IIDX player from day one, trust me, just buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Got my copy today!

Lots of people around the office came by when they saw the giant sexy Black LE. Most had never heard of DJ Max, so I prompty let them have their first hit for free.

Next hit's gunna cost em though =D. Most were shocked by how hard it is off the bat, but a couple people were nailing it. I can't wait to take this home and own it's ass.

XiaNaphryz

Two interesting inserts were in the DJMP2 manual - one a teaser-type ad for what looks to be Pentavision's next project, project S4, the other an ad with the text "2007 DJMAX 1st LIVE CONCERT - LIVE MIRACLE" on the front and "DJMAX, It's Real! - 2007.5.4 - Rolling Hall" on the back.

NotMSRP

Any differences in the final packaging compared to the PR released pictures? We know the game cover changed. For internal contents, is the puzzle the only thing different between black and silver?

klee123

Hmmm, the black one arrived in perfect condition, but the silver one came with 1-2 small bruises on the edges. Still bloody happy tho.

XiaNaphryz

Quick impressions after playing a bit last night:

- Love the fever mode ability - in Free Mode, with just 2 songs I can already get a combo up in the 600+ range! With more practice and the right song selection I can easily see people getting combos in the 1000+ range after just 2 songs. Should make unlocking stuff a lot easier.

- The ability to unlock more stuff by playing the first game through Link mode is awesome! Sucks that the old videos don't play in the background, but the addition of fever mode on the old tracks gives a fresh new take on playing the older songs. I can easily see getting the Fever multiplier beyond 4X on some of the older tracks (haven't played enough of the new tracks to know where that could be easily done). Completing an older track also unlocks that old song in the OST mode - how the hell did Pentavision fit everything on this UMD??

XiaNaphryz

duketogo88 said:
I just spent some time on the official site....I am ordering this immediately. :lol (And I don't even have a psp yet)
The first DJMP game was my first PSP purchase. :D

Order both games!

XiaNaphryz

Something else I noticed from the opening video - what happened to the drummer in the band? Did he get kicked out and replaced with a cellphone??

Top Bottom