• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Max portable Devs stops development of DJ MAX BlackSquare because of piracy

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Damn...

But were the DJ Max games turning a profit? Although I don't think that's the issue here, it seems they just got really pissed about the game being pirated.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Their reasoning is "Let's screw the people who want to buy the game over and give people a bigger reason to pirate it"

Good going guys :lol. Can't be too fun for the fans :|

fronn

:(

Sad that PSP is at that point... It's my favorite hand held system by far, but the lack of new software and the piracy problem are pretty damning.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
DJMP3 is out already?! I need to get it.

If the games are profitable, this is a stupid move. If not, then I can understand why they'd cancel the next edition. Then again, if they were not profitable, I can't imagine why they'd greenlight 4 unique versions, and 2 revisions.

Durante

bryehn said:
Move it to consoles?
If they are that upset by piracy the only choice would be PS3. (Or as a downloadable on PSN. Live is out for size reasons)

But really, as Alaluef says, this doesn't make much sense.

Fuu

bryehn said:
Move it to consoles?
MadFuzzy said:
Do it as a downloadable PSP title for PSN?
An ilegal copy would still exist on the internet.

Edit: Beaten by Durante.

Mejilan said:
DJMP3 is out already?! I need to get it.

If the games are profitable, this is a stupid move. If not, then I can understand why they'd cancel the next edition. Then again, if they were not profitable, I can't imagine why they'd greenlight 4 unique versions, and 2 revisions.
That's what I don't get. If you're making money with a game even with some people pirating, is it really a good decision to stop producing it and make no money at all? It hurts the fans more than it hurts the pirates.

freddy

Banned
"Damn these pirates are cutting into our profits badly. Anyone have a plan?!!"

"Well what if we don't make any profit at all Boss, then they can't steal it."

"Win!!!"

Well it looks like they found the one 100% effective anti-drm tool :D

It sucks for them I suppose because I assume they wanted "gamers" to be upset at the pirates but if this thread is any indication gamers are just going to be mad at the company

HamPster PamPster said:
Well it looks like they found the one 100% effective anti-drm tool :D

It sucks for them I suppose because I assume they wanted "gamers" to be upset at the pirates but if this thread is any indication gamers are just going to be mad at the company
anyone who has been around knows that this tactic never works to pull sympathy in your favor.

people just see it as the angry kid taking their ball and going home because someone gave him a hard foul and he wants his free throws, but everyone else says toughen up and play on, the foul wasn't that bad.

a few people will agree, but most will be like "whatever... why are you punishing me for what somene else did?!?"

Vorador

Banned
This is retarded. It reminds me of the translation/mod projects that are canned because some assholes dick around.

LiK

devs: "take that bitches"

and i agree, PSN is the way to go. at least we'll get a nice HD version of those videos.

Vorador

Banned
_dementia said:
I always thought the DJMP games were unplayable without a UMD?

Not really. The savegames are incompatible between different copies of the game (i guess to avoid cheating with the score), but nothing more.

bryehn

Alaluef said:
An ilegal copy would still exist on the internet.

Not even close to the amount of PSP ISOs though, even as a Wii game or a PS2 one.

A PSN release or PS3 disc edition would be the best way for them to go really

Fuu

HamPster PamPster said:
More like disappointed. And even if gamers got mad at the pirates, what would that resolve?

bryehn said:
Not even close to the amount of PSP ISOs though, even as a Wii game or a PS2 one.
There is a ISO on the internet for every Wii and PS2 game. Also DS and 360. The PS3 is for now the only current gen one that's immune to this.

bryehn said:
For no piracy, yes.

Alaluef said:
More like disappointed. And even if gamers got mad at the pirates, what would that resolve?

There is a ISO on the internet for every Wii and PS2 game. Also DS and 360. The PS3 is for now the only current gen one that's immune to this.

For no piracy, yes.
pretty sure there's isos on the internet for every PS3 game too... it's just that they can't be played :lol :lol :lol

doh, my close friend contributes tunes to DJM. shitty for him that it gets pirated so quick, and shittier that he potentially wont have more DJM to contribute to.

zoku88

Wow, they must've been pretty angry.

But they said,, "until the piracy problem is resolved", does that mean better anti-piracy things or just until ppl stop pirating?
Hcoregamer00 said:
So basically you want all PSP development halted?

:lol
And every non-PS3 game :p

I wish it would be a wake-up call to Sony to get their shit together on PSP and tighten that shit up. No one doubts that piracy exists on nearly every console (save maybe PS3) but I also think most wouldn't argue that its worse on PSP than any other console (except maybe PC).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
bryehn said:

There are PS3 disc ISOs on the internet, Pirates are just still trying to figure out how to get them to boot.

Also, you can extract a bookable version of an ISO from PSN releases.

ghibli99

LOL... wow, what a stupid kneejerk reaction from the devs. Guarantees I won't buy the Clazziquai version, either (and I love DJMP), as this punishes legit buyers.

zoku88

ghibli99 said:
LOL... wow, what a stupid kneejerk reaction from the devs. Guarantees I won't buy the Clazziquai version, either (and I love DJMP), as this punishes legit buyers.
Aren't you punishing yourself even more by not buying Classiquai? :p

Ruprit

Man, the day my copy of Clazziquai ships and then this. I'm not super surprised, even though it's very drastic, I always expected a game company to have a tantrum like this. It's media, it will get pirated. I was really excited for this too.

LiK

Ruprit said:
Man, the day my copy of Clazziquai ships and then this. I'm not super surprised, even though it's very drastic, I always expected a game company to have a tantrum like this. It's media, it will get pirated. I was really excited for this too.

well, their reaction shouldn't sway you, my copy shipped as well and i'm looking forward to it.

Ruprit

LiK said:
well, their reaction shouldn't sway you, my copy shipped as well and i'm looking forward to it.

Not at all, I'm still pumped for Clazziquai. Whenever the devs decide to make another DJ MAX, I will buy that also. It's just sad that people pirate media and it's sad that a company would take such measures.

CamHostage

GitarooMan said:
I wish it would be a wake-up call to Sony to get their shit together on PSP and tighten that shit up. No one doubts that piracy exists on nearly every console (save maybe PS3) but I also think most wouldn't argue that its worse on PSP than any other console (except maybe PC).

They have no means. Going after pirates online in different nations is near impossible, and there's not really much means of securing the PSP that won't jeopardize the system. Hackers can already pull every bit of code out of firmware updates, so Sony's stuck trying to fight this impossible battle while at the same time enraging the semi-legit homebrew community (which seems to incite hackers, who are then exploited by pirates...)

M3wThr33 said:
PSP PSN titles are all pirated now.

Really? I hadn't seen anything about the encryption being broken, only that PS1 games can be shelled. Is it really that bad that downloadable product can be de-keyed and posted by pirates?

maxax

Strider2K99 said:
So you're saying I can find, say, Echochrome download out there somewhere? That's crazy.
Echochrome is on UMD in EU, so you could find it either way. :/

Top Bottom