• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

JoeFenix

That is not true at all.

It's entirely true. This game is impossible to stomach on a technical level, atleast on PS3.

I played through LoS and although it wasn't consistent it didn't make me want to throw up. No frame tearing helped a lot in that respect.

I can't believe we went from the "FEEL" of 60 fps bullshit to people now defending this constant low 20's frame rate. Cut scenes dip as low as 15 fps easily. Unacceptable.

Zekes!

Just finished playing the demo.

Ehhhhhhhh.

It was alright. Camera was pretty poor, and the dialog and narrative direction were cringe worthy. The controls to me didn't really feel all that tight, in comparison to say, Bayonetta. Maybe that's just me, though.

At this point and time I don't really have any interest in picking it up for full price. It seems like it'd be a fun distraction at a cheaper price point, but that's about it.

ezekial45

Banned
It's entirely true. This game is impossible to stomach on a technical level, atleast on PS3.

I played through LoS and although it wasn't consistent it didn't make me want to throw up. No frame tearing helped alot in that respect.

Have you even played it on PS3?

Yes, I spent the last hour with it. It does not reach those levels during gameplay (sub 20fps). The cutscences have problems, yes. The gameplay runs better. Saying it's worse than Castlevania is an overstatement.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The more I play an learn, the better the game gets. You can really, REALLY rip shit up when you get everything down.

JoeFenix

More power to you if you can enjoy it even with this level of performance, I know I can't.

Choosing UE3 was such a fucking stupid decision, most people will buy this game on PS3, it's barely playable on that platform. Great job!

More power to you if you can enjoy it even with this level of performance, I know I can't.

Choosing UE3 was such a fucking stupid decision, most people will buy this game on PS3, it's barely playable on that platform. Great job!

I know where you're getting at. I mean UE was specifically made for the Xbox, after all.

Reiko

Banned

Want your mind blown?

El Shaddai ran on the Gamebryo Engine and ran generally smooth on PS3 and Xbox 360. 60fps from what I remember.

Maybe NT should have used that?

JoeFenix

I know where you're getting at. I mean UE was specifically made for the Xbox, after all.

It's always been made with Multi-platform in mind but it heavily favors Xbox and always has. I've never played a UE3 game on PS3 that felt good. Not once.

I don't have much of a problem with UE3 on PC even though it's not my favorite engine or anything. I hate how it tends to stutter and the texture fade in is horrible, even on a badass PC some games suffer from it.

Anyway, for a series built around 60 fps, UE3 was the dumbest possible choice.

JoeFenix

Want your mind blown?

El Shaddai ran on the Gamebryo Engine and ran generally smooth on PS3 and Xbox 360. 60fps from what I remember.

Maybe NT should have used that?

I've played El Shaddai on PS3, it had rough image quality but it was smooth enough yeah.

Anything would have been better than UE3 really.

Jac_Solar

DmC: Devil May Cry is a reboot and reimagining of the Devil May Cry lore and seeks to modernize the gameplay and narrative.

Is this an opinion by you, Eze, or is it the impression/statement NT or Capcom have given?

If it's a statement from Capcom/NT; DMC 4 and previous games were ahead of other games in terms of gameplay, if anything, along with a typical storyline/narrative - so a statement like they are seeking to modernize the gameplay and story sounds arrogant and rude, especially considering that (Based on user impressions from the demo only.) it sounds like the dialogue is the same/cheesier, and they have opted for an Unreal driven game at 30 FPS.

sleepykyo

Those colored "you can only hit me with this weapon" guys are horseshit and have no place is a DMC game. I should choose what to hit things with, not the game. Reminds me of that garbage in FFX where you were forced to use certain people for certain mobs until like halfway through.

It's fairly consistent with NT's approach in HS.

Anyway. PS3 frame rate is closer to the feel of 30 than the feel of 60. Can't say I'm happy to see the return of HS's match this color to this approach to combat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is this an opinion by you, Eze, or is it the impression/statement NT or Capcom have given?

DMC 4 and previous games were ahead of other games in terms of gameplay, if anything, along with a typical storyline/narrative - so a statement like they are seeking to modernize the gameplay and story sounds arrogant and rude, especially considering that it sounds like the dialogue is the same/cheesier, and they have opted for an Unreal driven game at 30 FPS.

It's official by both NT and Capcom.

Gbraga

DMC 4 and previous games were ahead of other games in terms of gameplay, if anything, along with a typical storyline/narrative - so a statement like they are seeking to modernize the gameplay and story sounds arrogant and rude, especially considering that it sounds like the dialogue is the same/cheesier, and they have opted for an Unreal driven game at 30 FPS.

I think the statement is acurate. Modernize gameplay makes me think instantly of dumbing down.

It's fairly consistent with NT's approach in HS.

Anyway. PS3 frame rate is closer to the feel of 30 than the feel of 60. Can't say I'm happy to see the return of HS's match this color to this approach to combat.

the feel of 22fps

Itsuno is really worried about our health!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hmm, I played on PS3. The cutscene performance was very poor and the overall IQ left...a lot to be desired, but I didn't think performance was that bad in actual gameplay. I have to try the 360 version, but it didn't feel like it was dropping that many frames. I certainly wasn't like LOL NT like I am in every other NT game. I felt like I could spin the camera around without it going to shit.

It was fun but a little disorienting. DMC4 looked way better though. Granted, that was a rather uneven title. I can't shake the feeling that this is just a messy title visually.

I really feel the Heavenly Sword roots here.

also it runs much better than LoS. LoS maxed out at like 25 fps.

Not sure I will buy this at launch given that Revengeance is coming out soon after and is a much more satisfying experience.

Dahbomb

DmC Demo Impressions

General: Overall I would say I liked the demo. Didn't love it and didn't make me want to pre-order the console versions but I liked it enough to maybe rent it and try out the PC version when that comes. This is easily the best game NT has put out and if you are a fan of NT games then you should've pre-ordered this game already. This is also easily better than C/D tier action games like NG3, Dante's Inferno and DMC2. The game however on the basis of its core mechanics does not touch the top tier action games but it's a respectable entry in the genre. If someone held a gun up to my head and asked me to cough up a score for the demo I would give it a solid 8/10. But to be honest the more I played the game the less I thought of it where as with a good DMC game, the more I played it the more I enjoyed it.

Graphics: Very good at least on the 360 version. I am not what you would call a graphics whore, I think DMC4 is a very good looking game too. Game is very vibrant and dynamic in its visual it looks very good in person when you are playing it. The environments and art style are the highlight here. Some jaggies here and there with the occasional framerate hiccup but nothing too substantial... it looks very solid and fluid.

But let's get one thing straight... this game does NOT feel or look like a 60FPS game. We need to squash that right now so that other PR companies don't start repeating this garbage phrase of "feel of 60FPS". Also this game does not look as good as GOW3 either which was apparently a debate that went on in the previous few pages.

Sound: Not much to say here. Voice acting is decent, sound effects are alright, soundtrack is up to taste (you either hate it or you love it). The sound effects for sword slashing is still not that good IMO but whatever.

Game play: This is it right here. This is what it's all about. I will break it up into Pros, Neutral and Cons.

PROS:

*Game is responsive enough for an action game. Is it as responsive as a top tier 60FPS? No and you can't really push it to that level of pace either. But it's more responsive than your average 30FPS games these days. I would compare its responsiveness to Darksiders 2. I guess Capcom polled the controller at 60FPS so that the game retains a higher level of responsiveness at 30FPS.

*I enjoyed playing around with Angel/Demon tools. It feels good and your tools complement each other well. Like for example when you do Aerial Flush -> Drop (shockwave hits at the exact distance that Flush left them) -> Drive it all naturally flows into each other. I always felt that no matter what move I ended with I could continue the combo uninterrupted.

*Osiris is a fun weapon and looks cool too. I like most of its moves. I want to see an Osiris type weapon in a future DMC game where we get a bad ass LVL4 Swordmaster move with it.

*I feel like in terms of just straight up "styling" on enemies DmC delivers. There is a ton you can do in terms of exploiting moves for stylish looking combos. I am not talking about efficiency here, that will be discussed later in the "balance" section but there are enough varied tools provided even in the demo to make respectable combo/style videos.

*The combat secret mission was a great addition to the demo because it allowed you to access a bootleg training mode. I spent a lot of time in it.

*Lots of extra content in the demo that I appreciated a lot. Secret stuff, collectibles and best of all multiple difficulties. This is one area where DmC obviously trumps the previous DMC demos and I feel all games should come with multiple difficulty settings. I also liked that in DMC traditions, enemy patterns change in the levels to keep you on your toes.

*The small touches in the game I liked. I admit that seeing a bunch of text pop up at the corner of your screen indicating your moves and respective style points is pretty hype. I like how weapons shine when you do their alternate combos or that you can transfer a combo among weapons by changing (Start string with weapon, pause, switch weapon and new weapon will now instantly do its combo II). I dug the overall presentation of the game too, like the loading screen has a silhouette of Dante comboing enemies. I like Inverse Rainstorm and the passive abilities added in the game.

NEUTRAL

*The Devil Trigger is not as overpowered as I imagined it to be. Mostly because they have cut down the time that you are actually in DT and they have greatly reduced DT gain. It takes a really long time to build up a DT gauge that can sustain for more than a few seconds. That being said it maybe short but it packs a tremendous amount of punch. The DT system is more akin to games like GoW/Darksiders where you don't get to access your alternate form that frequently but when you do... you are godlike. I don't really know if I can get behind this change to DT but it's not so powerful that it breaks the game so I can let it rock.

*The boss fight was OK. It did what it was supposed to I guess. It wasn't hard/challenging but it was at least entertaining. I don't know why it needed to be 3 tiered, that got repetitive real quick after I fought her more than a few times. I liked that she got a new move in SoS which gives me hope for other bosses/enemies too.

*Camera was generally hit or miss. On the ground in an open area it did its job well enough of following you while you comboed enemies. It got really hairy near corners/walls or if you launched the enemy too high. Camera basically goes to shit once you are comboing at the stratosphere but that's not going to happen often so its fine. Not a massive improvement over previous DMC games but not a downgrade either... pretty much par for the course. It's actually improved since the last time I saw it.

*Game has a ton of mobility options you can use. Normally this is a great thing to have in an action game... only all the mobility options are trumped by the regular dodge in the game. It's quick, has near completely invulnerability during its animation and barely has any recovery. The Demon dodge is the same as the normal dodge only if you time it you get unbelievable buffs that I cover in the next section. Not only that but the regular enemies don't really push you hard enough for you to make full use of the range of your evasive/mobility options. I feel this was an opportunity wasted for DmC.

CONS:

*I talked about this before but it warrants discussion here. Style ranking system as it is in the demo is broken. By that I mean the whole point of the style system is to deter you from repeating moves and reward for you creative/aggressive play. As it turns out, the most efficient way to play DmC is to wait for an enemy to attack you, dodge using Demon Dodge with proper timing (not that hard to do) and then go ham with Osiris as it has the most range on its attack. Demon dodge for those that don't know not only powers up your attacks for a short duration of time but also greatly boosts your style rank increase per hit. This yields you the most style points for the least amount of effort and in the least amount of time. Once initiate this set up, you can use whatever move you want indefinitely and the style meter will retain a high style rank... so long as you keep hitting. The style meter does not decay enough for repeated moves especially for higher levels.

*Lock on was sorely missed and problems were apparent without it. There was a lack of precision in the combat which was to be expected. Targets sometimes randomly swapped and this was most common when you are comboing an enemy and then chose to use a charge move but during the charge move enemies might move around and the lock on switches to a closer target. I don't like double tapping forward for Stinger/Streak, I feel like it's an unneeded extra motion on the stick that could've been avoided if there was an option for hard lock on. No lock on has clearly limited the range of moves that can be possible on the combat system. This is something that I cannot support going forward with the series, a hard lock has to AT LEAST be an option feature in a DMC game.

*Difficulty in the demo was entirely TOO EASY. I didn't even bother playing anything below Nephilim/SoS and even those two were very easy. The damage you take from enemies is miniscule, the margin of error is much higher than from previous DMC games. Because your dodging is much better than previous DMC games it is very hard to actually get hit in the game. Enemies were not aggressive enough and while its good that enemies telegraph their moves (otherwise they would be cheap) the damage they do isn't balanced around this. Like an example posted earlier in the thread, Dante faces off against a chainsaw enemy that has like a 1-2 second telegraph animation for you to react to with an instantaneous button press to avoid it safely... even if you get hit by this obvious move it will take like 3/4th of a bar. In a game like RE4 with vastly inferior movement/evasive options, a similar move kills you outright.

NT needs to scrap current Human difficulty mode and "upgrade" every difficulty up one minimum. DMD mode needs to significantly harder than whatever it is currently, current DMD mode should be SoS, SoS should be Nephilim (but balanced so that colored enemies come after you receive weapons) and so on.

*Balance of moves and weapons is all over the place. Of course balance isn't something you normally look for in a DMC game but it is still an important aspect of the combat engine and it leads into how much depth the game ends up having. Because there are so many moves that keep you afloat in the air longer than ever before, there is much less need to actually perform enemy step. Enemy step was used to keep enemies in the air for very long times but now it's not a requirement. I already talked about the mobility options and how Demon dodge breaks the style system by rewarding you too much for a relatively simple action. Moves like the Rake are too good... gravity nullification, ridiculous posterior hit box allow you to safely pick up multiple enemies from far up. Arbiter is the defacto boss/heavy enemy killer, there is very little reason to use any other weapon to deal brute damage... it takes very long to build up the damage on Osiris and it still sucks as a boss killer.

*The enemy design presented in the demo was extremely underwhelming and easily worse than what is offered in a standard DMC game (which the current standard isn't that high to begin with). Enemies have obvious gimmicks to them where you usually have to disarm them using your pulls or worse the higher up ones are colored coated so that you are forced to use a particular type of weapon to dispatch them. This combined with the shoddy lock on system creates situations where you are trying to take down a red enemy with a demon weapon but the lock on messes up and you end up hitting a blue enemy initiating a parry and usually a good amount of life lost. This is an example of difficulty that is completely artificial and frustrating. What's even more frustrating is you are forced to use a slow weapon with very few moves/variation (Arbiter) to take down an enemy. This limits creative and stylish play... to me this is the anti-thesis of what DMC is about. Even in DMC1, there were enemies that were strong/weak against particular weapons (like Plasma strong against Alastor, Frosts weak against Ifrit) but you could still use any weapon to take them out... you just had to deal with less efficiency. DmC has created a system of enemies where you either use the weapon that you are required to use... or you don't progress.

*Animation and physics are still very janky on a lot of moves. Jumping/landing still doesn't feel crispy, a lot of moves are slower than they need to be, moves have more hit stop animation than they need to. It's not as bad as it used to be but its still there. Some aspects of the combat just don't have a very clean feel to them.

*Platforming is as boring as it looks. No challenge, no feeling of intensity, no ingenuity.. no nothing. At least this is where DmC retains its DMC DNA.. the game is still the most fun when you are in an enclosed areas fighting and comboing enemies.

Gbraga

I couldn't agree more (just would add about the PS3's garbage performance), and Flush -> Drop -> Drive really looks good (even better if you manage to use drive/overdrive as your last hit for that slow motion effect, it kinda grew on me), but I was pretty underwhelmed by it, I was expecting a lot more.

There is some nice depth to it and I'll gladly explore the combat system once it comes out on PC and play it for a few months, but I can already see myself going back to DMC4 not long after this game's release.

The random lock-on switch is awful and completely fucks up your combos everytime you're trying something a little bit more different, like the game does not know how to handle your playstyle.

Dahbomb

You guys shouldn't visit Gamefaqs, they are tearing this game a new one. It's like most of them didn't follow the developments of the game or something.

TreIII

As always, an insightful read, Dahbomb.

Anyway, if this is what Capcom wants, and their audience responds, good for them. I'm moving right along to waiting for Revengeance and Bayo 2.

Dahbomb

Been playing the demo for two hours. I can't figure out how to lock on. Ps3 version. Any one know how?
When you figure it out let me know too.

After taking a break from the demo I had a chance to look at some videos and other peoples impressions. This guy basically talked about some of the stuff I mentioned already but he showed video evidence of most of it especially the whole Demon dodge -> Style gain stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3oIhgHGJ0

Nemesis_

As always, an insightful read, Dahbomb.

Anyway, if this is what Capcom wants, and their audience responds, good for them. I'm moving right along to waiting for Revengeance and Bayo 2.

I agree with all of the above.

I will pray that I get a review copy of DmC, because I certainly am not a fan of it (and will most probably be tight come release day). It's a serviceable Western design action game but I doubt it will bring it up to the standard that Bayonetta and to a lesser extent, DMC4 set.

The demo only furthered my fears and did nothing to allay my concerns. I am sure Platinum will deliver.

That's total bullshit. Framerate stays at 30fps most of the time in DmC, it hovers in the twenties in LoS.

PS3 gameplay framerate is fine. It's the cutscene framerate that oddly has the fluctuations.

If they would just pre-record the cutscenes on the PS3 that would simply take care of that problem.

Professional looking wall of text

Rolling gives you a damage boost? Seriously? I've being using the standard jump to avoid all the attacks so I've literally not touched the bumper buttons. I'm ok with a moderate style rank boost when you do a perfect dodge like in DMC3, but a damage boost too? That's ridiculous, this is a sign that the developers don't get DMC, they are obviously encouraging the players to use the dodge more, but the whole idea of DMC is to let the player experiment and create their own style of playing the game.

About the weapon balance issue, weapon unbalance is common in action games, some weapons/moves will always do more damage and be more practical than others. DMC3 had Beowulf hammer(GET BACK), Bayonetta had the YBY combos, the important thing is that developer uses visual feedback and in-game reward to encourage players to experiment.

The enemy design is indeed very gimmicky, the generic grunts are so dull and unpleasant looking that they're nowhere near as memorable as Marionette and Pride. The red and blue swordsmen was as expected of a game with dual element system, but that doesn't make it any less cliche.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The game is easily NT's best effort, and the game runs at a pretty steady framerate on the 360 (too bad about the PS3). That's much better than I was expecting. The environments do look nice.

When I first loaded up the game, I was immediately impressed. Impressed with how awful the intro was cut, voiced, and acted. This was a particular surprise to me since this is Ninja Theory's alleged strength. This is something they're supposed to excel at, right? It only served to reinforce that this has the worst voice acting/script I've heard in recent memory. And I played Gears 3.

The game visuals were good, but the game looked less smooth and rougher around the edges than the videos of it in previews I'd seen.

Played the demo on Nephilim. Even fumbling with the controls that I'm not used to, I didn't come close to dying. This has been brought up by numerous people already.

Played again on Son of Sparda, and died once to the boss. Those color coded guys are going to get real old, real fast. I think that a better option would have them take less damage from the wrong color versus them taking no damage/countering. For a series that's centered around freedom of combat, restricting your weapon type for certain enemies seems like a bad idea.

There are some serious balancing issues, both for style and damage. Arbiter is way overpowered. Both parry and dodge mechanics are too forgiving. Why the hell is Rainstorm (up and down) so slow?

The platforming looks like it would be fun, but it really falls short. Maybe there will be more to it in the main game, but as it stands it literally is just the Devil Snatch mechanic from DMC4 over a larger open plane and with more leniency.

I played the HD collection right before going into the DmC demo because I think that it's important to establish the a frame of reference for this game. It's not a new IP and it has a legacy to live up to. This game is not as responsive as a 60fps game. It doesn't even have the feel of a 60fps, whatever that means. Anyone who states otherwise is a fool or a troll. NT did try their best to make the game feel responsive, but the difference is abundantly clear. Movements are more labored, less precise and less clean... Animation just doesn't feel crisp to me. This goes for animations of both Dante and the enemies.

I do not want this to be the future direction of the series. If any Gaffers are now going to pass on this game (or buy it used), live in the U.S., and they don't have the DMC HD Collection, shoot me a PM. I have a few extra copies that I can send to peeps for free on the platform of their choice.

EDIT: All copies are accounted for right now. I might do this again later, though.

VertPin

If you mean manual lock-on, that's out. There's a sort of auto lock-on in place instead.
...Really?
When you figure it out let me know too.

After taking a break from the demo I had a chance to look at some videos and other peoples impressions. This guy basically talked about some of the stuff I mentioned already but he showed video evidence of most of it especially the whole Demon dodge -> Style gain stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3oIhgHGJ0
Watching now.

Dahbomb

Rolling gives you a damage boost? Seriously? I've being using the standard jump to avoid all the attacks so I've literally not touched the bumper buttons. I'm ok with a moderate style rank boost when you do a perfect dodge like in DMC3, but a damage boost too? That's ridiculous, this is a sign that the developers don't get DMC, they are obviously encouraging the players to use the dodge more, but the whole idea of DMC is to let the player experiment and create their own style of playing the game.
I am talking about the Demon Dodge (R2 plus Dodge). If you time it to an attack properly then time will slow down and your hands will start glowing. Not only do you get a damage boost but you get an insane style boost for some time.

The video I linked makes it very clear.

jett

D-Member
Good impressions Dahbomb, personally this is what mattered most to me when playing the game:

*Lock on was sorely missed and problems were apparent without it. There was a lack of precision in the combat which was to be expected. Targets sometimes randomly swapped and this was most common when you are comboing an enemy and then chose to use a charge move but during the charge move enemies might move around and the lock on switches to a closer target. I don't like double tapping forward for Stinger/Streak, I feel like it's an unneeded extra motion on the stick that could've been avoided if there was an option for hard lock on. No lock on has clearly limited the range of moves that can be possible on the combat system. This is something that I cannot support going forward with the series, a hard lock has to AT LEAST be an option feature in a DMC game.

I really, REALLY missed lock-on, and like you said there's a massive loss of precision when doing combos with several enemies around you. And despite how much I've tried to be positive about the control scheme changes, it turns out changing weapons mid-combo with the Angel/Demon gimmick is NOT smooth enough that requires what NT has implemented. I wants me my lock-on, I wants it bad. I wants it now. I also found myself not using Stinger 1/10th as much as I used to. Double forward triangle is just garbage.

There are things I like about DmC but this is really close to being a deal-breaker.

Dahbomb, you notice the angel glide off the wall?

Apparently if you angel glide towards a wall, you can then glide -again- by pushing off of it. Interesting to see how that would play itself in future platforming segments.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Game is awesome! Played on highest difficulty available. I really enjoyed the combat & boss fight.
The atmosphere is Satanically Delicious!

I was worried at the initial cinemas frame skips however the actual in game frames are smooth & consistent.
It isn't 60 frames per second but the graphics are nice & the frames get the job done.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Apparently if you angel glide towards a wall, you can then glide -again- by pushing off of it. Interesting to see how that would play itself in future platforming segments.

I think it has limited application considering that you can't change trajectory, angle, or height after dashing off the wall.

Dahbomb

I still say they could've done the whole Angel/Demon stance with a lock on as well. The stances would just work as toggles/swaps, you would tap them once and you are set in Angel/Demon form. Tap them again to revert to human form. R1 for lock on, L1 could've been dodge.

But what's done is done.

It was brought up by VJC in this thread. It's interesting I guess, not really useful for combat but may be useful for platforming or even a secret mission.

jett

D-Member

That's happened to me a couple of times, completely by accident. :p

TreIII

Oh yeah! Besides the option to hard-lock, I did miss taunting. Is there a way to do it, or did NT really stick to their guns of not having it?

Dahbomb

Oh yeah! Besides the option to hard-lock, I did miss taunting. Is there a way to do it, or did NT really stick to their guns of not having it?
The latter probably. Itsuno did say that he wanted to convince NT to put it in the game but it might've been too late in the dev cycle.

jett

D-Member
I have to say no lock-on completely strips away the DMC feel DMC DNA. Either NT was stubborn in their ways(which I can see as this system is similar to HS's) or Capcom demanded it be removed to be newb friendly. I didn't know I'd miss it this bad, it's throwing me off to much. I enjoyed the demo but thinking about it I'm not sure if I can call it Devil May Cry.

And no taunts is just stupid, the select button is free, and this Dante constantly taunts and jokes in cut-scenes anyway. I don't get it.

Onemic

Just finished the demo. My thoughts about it echo Dahbombs for the most part. Although I don't hate Dante's design as much anymore I still despise Vergils, and worst of all the enemy designs in this game are beyond mediocre. Im not gonna buy this game when it releases, but will probably pick it up for christmas. I'll be playing DMC4 in the meantime.

Dahbomb

I have to say no lock-on completely strips away the DMC feel DMC DNA.
I said this when it was first announced. :/ I even have my original "why I feel DmC has dumbed down mechanics" post saved up.

I have always made it clear that no hard lock on and 60FPS were my biggest 2 gripes with the game. I guess PC version can make the second part better but hard lock on is pretty much what DMC has always been about.

Game could've been way worse though. This was a developer that used to have horrendous controls but DmC has very solid controls, better than most games out now. NT can use DmC as a learning process to make better games in the future. The game play is still very fun and addicting... but in terms of action games it feels more like a guilty pleasure in terms of entertainment.

Watched the video.

Shit, I didn't even notice they broke the style ranking system, that's some bullshit right here.

The demon dodge is indeed very broken, looks like a dumbed down witch-time.

jett

D-Member
The style system is really broken if you abuse in such a manner. If you combo the "regular" way it's fine. They should definitely address it.

I said this when it was first announced. :/ I even have my original "why I feel DmC has dumbed down mechanics" post saved up.

I have always made it clear that no hard lock on and 60FPS were my biggest 2 gripes with the game. I guess PC version can make the second part better but hard lock on is pretty much what DMC has always been about.

Game could've been way worse though. This was a developer that used to have horrendous controls but DmC has very solid controls, better than most games out now. NT can use DmC as a learning process to make better games in the future.

Certainly, I still have nightmarish flashbacks about the Enslaved demo. Hideously laggy controls, the worst ever in recent memory, period. At least Capcom's influence was good for something. I wonder what DmC would have turned out like if NT had been left completely to their own devices. :p

Reiko

Banned
Certainly, I still have nightmarish flashbacks about the Enslaved demo. Hideously laggy controls, the worst ever in recent memory, period. At least Capcom's influence was good for something. I wonder what DmC would have turned out like if NT had been left completely to their own devices. :p

NG3 would have been GOTY in comparison.

Top Bottom