• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC DLC!!! (Play as Vergil)

Dahbomb

I am curious to see how Vergil's combat will operate. Judging by the numerous moves shown its safe to say both Y and B will be the attack buttons for Yamato. X is probably Summoned Swords. What I am curious to know is how the teleports work. Could be attached to the dodge button or one of the triggers like Dante's Devil Bringer. And what about the DT... would his DT be the Doppelganger style like Dante has Quicksilver?

Gbraga

I am curious to see how Vergil's combat will operate. Judging by the numerous moves shown its safe to say both Y and B will be the attack buttons for Yamato. X is probably Summoned Swords. What I am curious to know is how the teleports work. Could be attached to the dodge button or one of the triggers like Dante's Devil Bringer. And what about the DT... would his DT be the Doppelganger style like Dante has Quicksilver?

LT + A could work as teleport I guess.

Dahbomb

Last I played, the combat system was completely broken. I'm just keeping quiet about it at the moment with hopes that they turned it around.
Well the combat has improved since you played so maybe you can share your impressions or refresh them for me. Don't worry no one will get on your ass for it.

LT + A could work as teleport I guess.
Probably or LT/RT + Dodge maybe. I am thinking LT or RT + X is SS formations.

Gbraga

Well the combat has improved since you played so maybe you can share your impressions or refresh them for me. Don't worry no one will get on your ass for it.

RT + Attacks could be his secondary weapon that you'll cycle through with the d-pad. I believe they did confirm more weapons for him, let me get a link.

EDIT: There you go

From the Press Release
Set against a contemporary backdrop, DmC will depict a duplicitous world where nothing is ever as it seems and the line between good and evil is constantly blurred. Spurred into action by the promises of a trusted relation, Dante bursts into this world intent on revenge at any cost. DmC will retain the series’ signature mix of sword and gunplay but add additional weapons, all new powers and a revitalised gameplay system as players encounter the game’s devilish mix of enemies and navigate the rich, interactive environment.

Experience a brand new chapter of the DmC Devil May Cry adventure with Vergil’s Downfall, the untold story of Dante’s twin brother Vergil which will be downloadable* from XBLA and PSN. Vergil’s Downfall offers fans the opportunity to play as one of the most wanted Devil May Cry characters, Vergil, in an all new storyline with fresh gameplay including new weapons, combos, enemies, and locations.

Vergil’s Downfall will be available shortly after launch for 720 MS points and $8.99 on PlayStation Network. North American consumers who pre-order DmC Devil May Cry at GameStop or EB Canada will receive a redeemable code to access Vergil’s Downfall at no charge when the content becomes available.

DmC Devil May Cry arrives on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on January 15, 2013 across North America and Europe with a PC version shortly after.

Unless they're treating Yamato as "new weapons"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I have a feeling that some of the teleporting is automated after certain moves.

Unless they're treating Yamato as "new weapons"

I don't see why they wouldn't.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Old demo impressions, as requested:

Combat is kind of broken. You can just infinite chain devil/angel grabs on all the grunts. Not that they would be much of a threat anyway. Their attacks were extremely slow and telegraphed. Hope they fix that before release. It makes the combat in NG3 look like NG1.

Everything that wasn't combat was pretty neat. They should have just made a Super Magnetic Neo style platformer.

Currently, the game makes no demands on the player to fight for their survival. There's no reason to use most of your offensive or defensive capabilities. This could change, but there's another problem.

The animation and move list isn't particularly elaborate or flashy so it doesn't really reward styling from an visual standpoint. That, along with the framerate gives it more of a brawler feel.

NG3 was a huge letdown compared to its predecessor, but it's still 60fps and the animation is decent enough. So if they're both brawlers NG3 is the one that looks better in motion.

DmC will probably be NT's best game though. Just don't expect DMC3/DMC4 caliber combat.

I was really, really bummed after that demo.

Gbraga

Did your demo feature the mashy angel lift and demon pull followups? Because that was tweaked to be timing based, if you look for recent footage, people miss that all the time and instead just use the grapple several times in a roll.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capcom also has no marketing or PR sense anymore. At all. It' like they don't think things through before they announce/talk about thigns. They should know that DLC and Capcom are two words that should not go together.

They could have spun this completely in a different direction that makes it seem more consumer friendly. Free content for pre-orders (which is probably more of a common practice with publishers now than DLC is). And just left the DLC part out and then announce it well after the game is already out for those who purchase the game late or never cared to pre-order.

I think their marketing/planning for this game is actually better than most of the recent endeavors. The inclusion of DmC Dante in PSASBR, plus the launch of the game in a month where there are few notable releases.

The mere fact that DmC Dante is in PSASBR will make non-fans start to yield. Just like how people have started warming up to dreadlock Spencer from MvC3 just because of his inclusion and repeated exposure.

Dahbomb

Well some of those impressions can't really be tested until we get to explore harder difficulties.

While its too early to make wide claims about the game... I would say that my #3 disappointment from DmC (first two being 30fps and no hard lock on combat) is that both Capcom and NT didn't use this reboot opportunity to fix some of the standard problems in a DMC game but rather they have actually made them worse.

By that I mean the enemy AI, the camera work, the linear level design etc that has plagued every DMC game. The stuff that they are trying to fix (story, character designs, environments, music) are subjective elements to the series which are constantly changing anyway.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Did your demo feature the mashy angel lift and demon pull followups? Because that was tweaked to be timing based, if you look for recent footage, people miss that all the time and instead just use the grapple several times in a roll.
Yeah, and it had this dumb demon axe smash -> grab -> demon axe smash loop. The enemies pretty much ignored you outside of a few half-hearted swipes at you every once in awhile. DMC is known for challenging boss fights, and you could maybe lose the demo boss fight if you really wanted to.

I don't care how early your game is. That's not a demo you put out for DMC fans.

ezekial45

Banned

I do remember that the infinite chain grab was addressed. The Capcom Unity guys did the Angel Lift uppercut all the way into the stratosphere during one of the E3 streams. After that they talked about how it's much more difficult to do and that the enemy will die out before you can. From what they said, you can't do the infinite chain as it was in the E3 build anymore.

If that's what you meant.

Gbraga

Preordering =/= free.

Not only that, but preordering at gamestop.

We don't have gamestop in Brazil and their international shipping is way too expensive. If the game is not officialy released here with some store offering this deal, I'll just have to deal with it and pay extra $9, no matter how hard I want to pre-order it, which is just another reason to wait for the PC version.

Glass Rebel

Wait, what?

lHzsi.png

Dahbomb

Just saw a preview where apparently they have played the first 10 missions (but can only talk about the first 5). They said that the camera in the previous builds was like a drunk monkey controlling it but in the latest build it is able to follow the action much better.

Glass Rebel

Just saw a preview where apparently they have played the first 10 missions (but can only talk about the first 5). They said that the camera in the previous builds was like a drunk monkey controlling it but in the latest build it is able to follow the action much better.

shaking my head so hard at this fucking industry but I guess they want to handle this as delicately as possible with all the overreactions (not saying there aren't any serious concerns).

Announcing paid DLC for a game that is still a ways off just feels......wrong imo. They shouldn't of announced this until after the game came out at least. Wow, they didn't waste anytime.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Announcing paid DLC for a game that is still a ways off just feels......wrong imo. They shouldn't of announced this until after the game came out at least. Wow, they didn't waste anytime.
They should have started developping it AFTER the game was released in order to :
-see if there was a demand for it
-process some gamer feedback to see what worked/what didn't for gamers.

But hey, Crapcom's gonna Crapcom.

V_Arnold

They should have started developping it AFTER the game was released in order to :

What? The demand is already here. For many of us, it is definitely a day1 buy, or whenever it is available.

But anyway, Crapcom? Yeah, like, they are the ONLY company putting out dlc's beforehand. Oh wait, EVERYONE does it.

Yes, I agree. Even if they developed it along side with the game, they do not have to reveal it until later. Oh well, I'm definitely going to check this game out.

Gbraga

The early reveal probably has something to do with their Gamestop deal, makes no sense to announce a preorder bonus after the game is released, after all.

If it was just a paid DLC with no way of getting it for free, they would most likely hold the announcement.

But anyway, Crapcom? Yeah, like, they are the ONLY company putting out dlc's beforehand. Oh wait, EVERYONE does it.

Capcpom don't get Crapcom soley for one terrible business practice

they take lots of terrible business practices, mix them all up and add their own special secret douchebag sauce to end up where they are today

this is simply Yet Another Example, as it was

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
What? The demand is already here. For many of us, it is definitely a day1 buy, or whenever it is available.

I have no problem you or other gamers looking forward positively to this game but I guess you can see and Capcom should realize that they are currently iceskatting uphill regarding the communication surrounding this game.

Pulling this doesn't help them at all.

And I won't adress the part about Capcom being the only company doing this or not because I have never ever expressed such idea. Oops I just adressed it.

Momentary

Banned
I'm getting this on Steam when it's released, but as for demand... This game is hated by half of the Devil May Cry fanbase.

-Radical change in design both in the area of aesthetics and personality
-30 fps gameplay on consoles which affects the game both in aesthetics and gameplay mechanics like:
-Slower response on combos that deteriorates the experience for DMC and fighting game verteran
-Brain dead enemies
-and now... Day 1 DLC that needs to be payed for if not pre ordered.

Instead of including this as an awesome secret to unlock by beating the game you have to prepurchase game or purchase the DLC which really takes away from the package as a whole. This would have been like Konami charging for the second half of SOTN once you beat it and found out there was another castle.

Instead now they cut out part of the game to use it as an incentive for people to buy it because they are too afraid that it's going to bomb on sales so now the have to rely on some marketing gimmick.

All this does is make it look like they are worried about this game not doing well.

The only way that I would think of giving the go ahead for DLC before a game is released is to already have an ungodly amount of preorders and have the DLC in preproduction and ready to download a few months after the game's release. But with this DmC I'm pretty sure there will be VERY few if ANY midnight releases for this game.

I'm excited to play this game on PC, but I'm not blind to the fact that there really isn't a big demand for this iteration of the Devil May Cry franchise. Thus this game not warranting an extra side quest as Vergil.

If you as me... Seeing as how far along this DLC is compared to something like the extra character in Borderlands... I think this was suppose to be part of the game as an unlockable the entire time and Capcom had Ninja theory turn it into DLC as a perk for preordering. I mean it's not unusual to have extra weapon, skins, armor, etc DLC, but to already have a completely different character with his own moveset, weapons, and missions ready to g on day one is kind of fishy.

Dahbomb

shaking my head so hard at this fucking industry but I guess they want to handle this as delicately as possible with all the overreactions (not saying there aren't any serious concerns).
I think they are not showing any footage/discussing beyond a select few missions because of spoilers.

Capcom Europe's email has another extra line:

*Please note that this additional content is not on the retail disc and is only available via download post launch

I'll never understand this imaginary threshold. I'd rather have it on disc so that it doesn't take HD space. Why should I feel better or worse because it's a file sitting on Capcom's servers on day 1?

Not like I care; even ignoring the terrible character designs, this seems to be an extremely vanilla DMC game from all the trailers, with exactly the same combos as DMC1 and nothing more. It's like DMC3 and Bayonetta never happened.

Gbraga

It's what, the first week? It clearly could have been put on the disc but they're purposely making it DLC to make extra money.

I'm not defending it, but do not spread misinformation to prove your point.

It's not day one, we have no idea of when it launches other than "early 2013", could be 2 months after the game comes out and it would still be early 2013.

Dahbomb

Not like I care; even ignoring the terrible character designs, this seems to be an extremely vanilla DMC game from all the trailers, with exactly the same combos as DMC1 and nothing more. It's like DMC3 and Bayonetta never happened.
DMC1 didn't even have aerial combos.... DmC is taking more from DMC3 than any other game especially now that we have playable Vergil.

The dislike bar on the video is as low as usual, keep it up. I was going to preorder from gamestop anyways so this works. They should just put the code in all new copies and everybody wins.

I'll never understand this imaginary threshold. I'd rather have it on disc so that it doesn't take HD space. Why should I feel better or worse because it's a file sitting on Capcom's servers on day 1?

The hdd space excuse is the worst rebuttal for keeping it on disc, as you will be installing it ALL onto the hdd anyway on 360.

Dahbomb

On disc DLC just leads to hackers accessing the content earlier and leaking it online... pissing those who got the game legitimately and plan to buy the DLC.

This was rampant in SFxT where hackers were playing with DLC characters before they were released.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
On disc DLC just leads to hackers accessing the content earlier and leaking it online... pissing those who got the game legitimately and plan to buy the DLC.

This was rampant in SFxT where hackers were playing with DLC characters before they were released.

If the characters were completed, they could have just, ya know, kept them in the original roster.

If there were no such thing as DLC we wouldn't have unlockable vergil in this game, we'd have no vergil

Why exactly are we giving Ninja Theory and Capcom the benefit of the doubt? People keep talking about the DLC model, and I'm sure it's accurate for some companies, but Capcom has a reputation otherwise... see SFxT above.

If the characters were completed, they could have just, ya know, kept them in the original roster.

Why exactly are we giving Ninja Theory and Capcom the benefit of the doubt? People keep talking about the DLC model, and I'm sure it's accurate for some companies, but Capcom has a reputation otherwise... see SFxT above.

How is that giving them the benefit of the doubt? It's the exact opposite. I'm literally saying if they can't sell it to us for extra, they are not going to bother working on it at all.

Elginer

Capcom gonna Capcom. So is this going to be free if ordered from Amazon as I'm buying my GF a copy there and she'd be pretty upset if it wasn't?

Nyoro SF

If there were no such thing as DLC we wouldn't have unlockable vergil in this game, we'd have no vergil

That's what they would like you to think.

The creation of a 3D model character and animating their moves actually doesn't take that much time, especially if you use other skeletons as a base.

It's pretty much a free cash-in on fans of the series. GL

Top Bottom