• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

Dahbomb

Dahbomb's Personal DmC Review - 8/10

Gaming Age - B+

Destructoid - 9/10 A beautiful, bold, and supremely enjoyable videogame in its own right. It deserves to be praised...Action games may come deeper and harder than this, but few are as pleasurable.

Giantbomb 5/5

CvG 9/10

Gamesradar 4/5

Gamespot - 8/10 DmC succeeds both in its story and in its brilliant combat, and it looks the business too, despite a few minor glitches and the more colour-soaked levels looking like they've spent a little too much time in an Instagram filter.

IGN - 8.9/10 360 version | 8.5/10 PS3 version Long-time Devil May Cry fans unsure of Ninja Theory's treatment can abandon their fears. DmC hurls Dante into a newer, better world, complete with a glorious combat system and enough style to make old Dante proud.

EGM - 9.5/10 DmC is everything a reboot should be-confident, thoughtful, and brazenly unafraid to sacrifice a few sacred cows along the way. For all the backlash they've had to face, developer Ninja Theory has delivered the most polished, refreshing, and memorable hack-and-slash experience in recent memory.

1UP - A Ninja Theory's reboot is brazen, fast, and devilishly clever

Edge - 8/10 This is the best entry in its genre since Bayonetta, and might just be the best game Ninja Theory has made to date.

Eurogamer - 8/10 Ninja Theory has absolutely nailed the leading man and the combat system - by far the most important things - and DmC is clearly a labour of love, a tribute as well as a new beginning.

Gametrailers - 8.5/10 Ninja Theory has done right by Devil May Cry, delivering a striking game that honors the series' essence while still feeling like the product of a distinct vision. If you can forgive a few excesses--like the pretty-but-toothless boss fights--you'll find that your old friend hasn't changed all that much on the inside, in spite of his new style.

Thesixaxis - 7/10
It’s obvious why long time fans of Devil May Cry had concerns about the reboot of the series but Ninja Theory have done a lovely job with taking over the reigns. It’s certainly not without its issues, and at this stage in a generation you feel like a game should probably be wielding more graphical clout, but the game’s combat more than makes up for it. It’s simply brilliant, and you can have a lot of fun trying out the different options it presents you. Once Dante’s picked up every weapon there’s simply so much available to you, and it’s what sets the game apart.

PSNation - A- Even with some weird yet minor issues, ‘DmC: Devil May Cry’ is a really good game. I’d say that Ninja Theory have done a great job with rebooting the franchise, and have definitely earned some props with this one. Even with the ridiculous end-boss (thanks to Phil Kollar for revealing the obvious to me), DmC should satisfy anyone looking for an over-the-top, action-packed experience with an amazing flair for the cinematic.

Adam Sessler's Review - 3/5

Gameinformer - 9/10

Famitsu - 34/40 9/8/9/8

OXM UK - 9/10 (Not 100% confirmed yet)

X360 Magazine UK - 9/10

https://twitter.com/zombryn/status/285376208567402496

https://twitter.com/zombryn/status/285835930781220866

LEVEL (Swedish game magazine) - 9/10

http://i.imgur.com/9vo7A.jpg

Summary of LEVEL review:

Yoshichan said:
- Lots of fun variation in the level design. Dante swings between platforms, avoids incoming trains and explores vertical sewers

- The multiple stage transformations throughout the game is well integrated in the story that is being told

- Ninja Theory is taking a more serious approach than Capcom in the story-department

- The controls in DmC isn't as good as in the previous DMC-games - it's much better

- DMC-veterans will feel "home"

- Basically all the changes has been for the better good; combining Devil May Cry's deep, sophisticated action with the modern action-adventure stage-design

9/10

Gamemasters UK Review - 89/100

RazMaTaz said:
-The otherwise excellent story fades toward the end

-There's nothing here that's nearly as memorable as duking it out with Phantom and Virgil from the 2001 original

-New Dante is younger, meaner and swearier than his predecessor and-despite better voice acting-lacks that certain spark

-DmC combat doesn't feel as progressive as the rest of the game and is let down by the cookie cutter boss battles.

-Despite not making as heavy of an impact as the original rebooted DmC is still a bloody fantastic action game

-It's a close run thing, but 2001 DMC takes it by a hair's width thanks to its smooth combat and iconic hero

Italian Insight Factor Review - 7.5/10

DISCLAIMER: As of this time no online review has the review code of the game and thus this review was taken down as it allegedly does not even have the review code. The link and translation will remain here as proof that it once existed and not a figment of people's imagination.

http://www.insight-factor.net/recensioni/dmc-devil-may-cry-recensione-review

*More accessible than its predecessors and a valid reboot.

*There is a "loss of depth" and the game is easier than previous games in the franchise.

*Overall experience is still nice and fun.

*Plot isn't that exciting or technically impressive... fails to rise to the occasion. Game might have scored higher by the review if it was better.

*The art design and different take on the fiction will not rest well with the stalwarts of the franchise but it's far from being a total failure.

*Omission of lock on is absurd and inexplicable. This results in comparatively more chaotic and less tactical combat than in the past.

*Graphics not technically impressive, some low polygon models and low resolution texture with 30FPS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I know a lot of people won't agree with the LEVEL-review, but don't shoot the messenger!

BY2K

Membero Americo
- The controls in DmC isn't as good as in the previous DMC-games - it's much better

So they completely changed the controls since the demo?

EDIT: Ugh, that Level reviews reeks of PR in the way it's written.

antitrop

I've been saying that I think the game will be good for the better part of this year.

Hopefully I'm vindicated and not made a fool of (like with RE6).

Yanksfan

So they completely changed the controls since the demo?

Interesting. I didn't have any concerns with the controls in the 15 minutes I spent with the demo. It was enough to sell me on the game and actually be hopeful this will be at least on par with DMC1/4.

EDIT: Ugh, that Level reviews reeks of PR in the way it's written.

It probably is. Good thing that most people (hopefully) don't give a shit about reviews these days. Word of mouth on trusted forums is much better. Not perfect, but better than the alternative.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Riposte

Seeing reviewers telling "DMC-veterans" how they should feel about the controls in the new one sort of highlights how odd videogame reviews are once you step away from the cinematic stuff. I guess you could say it is the same way with fighting games.

Dahbomb

Leaked IGN review:

IGN's DmC Review:

Graphics: NT has pushed the UE3 to new heights marrying technical prowess with breathtaking artistry. The vibrant color palette is easy on the eyes especially when things get chaotic amidst the jaw dropping environmental effects while the game holds at a rock steady 30FPS. 9/10

Presentation: Movie quality cutscenes really set the tone of this bold reboot. NT has crafted a masterful story and lore for the DMC universe with grounded voice work and a gripping narrative. 9/10

Sound: The Western touch to the soundtrack was most apt and the new energized battle theme pump you up appropriately for the game's kinetic game play. Voice acting is top notch as expected from the Cambridge studio. 9/10

Game play: Combining the technical, combo heavy depth of previous DMC games with the accessibility expected in modern game design, NT has created something truly special here. The combat is nuanced, exciting and engaging enough for any fan of the genre. 9.5/10

Replay Value: 7 different difficulty modes, Bloody Palace, tons of Secret Missions, Leaderboards, Vergil DLC and more... DmC has to be played more than once to experience the full scope of the content. 9.5/10

Overall: 9.5

DmC is the best DMC game since 2008's DMC3. NT have a RE4 caliber remake to call their own and now stand tall among the AAA developers of the West. This is not only one of the best action games to come out of a Western studio ever but it's one of the best action games of all time.

No shit, the game will review well. Even this game's biggest detractors called that.

Pretty much. The game media has even criticized fans of the series for being critical of the game. And I really can't think of any other time that something like that has happened.

Derrick01

Banned
So this game is full steamworks on PC now? I might give it a shot if I can get it in the $30 range on GMG or something. Not like there's anything else coming in the first few months.

Dahbomb

So this game is full steamworks on PC now? I might give it a shot if I can get it in the $30 range on GMG or something. Not like there's anything else coming in the first few months.
Yeah it's Steamworks.

I'm fairly certain he's making a joke. They don't do breakdowns anymore.
Ah fuck... I hadn't read an IGN review in a long time.

Yeah it was a troll guys... I had that review typed up months ago for this thread.

/nothing to see here

Dahbomb

Popcorn and tears are ready. The reviews are what i expected though.
2008's DMC 3?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/19/dmc-has-nothing-left-to-prove

2169924-kappa.png

Dahbomb

Dahbomb, you should have went with Uncharted 2 instead of Resident Evil 4.
I said RE4 because it's considered one of the best reboot of the series generally speaking. And since this is also a reboot of a Capcom game I thought it felt apt.

Guys the review is fake, don't get worked up over it.

Massa

Seeing reviewers telling "DMC-veterans" how they should feel about the controls in the new one sort of highlights how odd videogame reviews are once you step away from the cinematic stuff. I guess you could say it is the same way with fighting games.

Where are you seeing this?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I bet deep down you hoped they wouldn't.

:p

I have the game on pre-order but we all know game reviewers love their easy difficulty and cinematic cutscenes. Case in point:

Basically all the changes has been for the better good; combining Devil May Cry's deep, sophisticated action with the modern action-adventure stage-design

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

DmC is an okay action game, but does not hold a candle to the older games. It's not as deep, it's slower, and it's far more contained in its action. Watch the expert players play DMC3, and then this game.

Hell, I'm a beginner DMC player, and I can already feel the brokeness in the demo. But it's better than DMC2, so it has that. Older fans have every right to be angry, as this isn't progression, but should take solace in the fact that Capcom is still trying to create more DMC games as well as DmC games.

Top Bottom