• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNA Barcoding study concludes 200,000 years ago there was a catalyst for genetic change after period of mutation stability

Airbus Jr

Banned
800wm

This conclusion was reached using DNA barcoding, a simple and rapid technique for reliable identification of the species to which the organism belongs.

Through DNA barcoding, geneticists Mark Stoeckle and David Thaler from the Basel University in Switzerland have determined that more than 90% of all animal species today have descended from parents that gave birth to the offspring at the same time, 250,000 years ago.

Thaler says these results surprised him that he challenged them, but eventually had to accept them. The results also showed that all people today are the offspring of a single pair of humanoids, which also surprisingly explains little genetic diversity.

If humans and 90% of animals suddenly appeared 250,000 years ago, the questions that arise are what existed before them and what led to the extinction of those?

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
When the book of genesis gets scientific backing... but yeah DNA does not let you read it in a way you can determine origins like that.

Thurible

You may want to add your source.
This.

I do not see an article listed nor multiple sources. I also remember the fake news about Pope Francis hating the LHC and believing in hell portals that you recently gave us OP.

more than 90% of all animal species today have descended from parents that gave birth to the offspring at the same time, 250,000 years ago.
Also, though I am not a scientist, this claim seems absolutely ridiculous. The timeframe is incredibly short and there is so much diversity among different species of animals around the world that it wouldn't make any sense that they would ALL share an common ancestor. You are saying ALL animal life come from this pair, and not just homo sapiens, which is impossible (ex. does the angler fish come from man?). Many animals came before us and have descendants that exist today that are certainly not related to human beings in any way. Perhaps this is just worded weirdly and the intent was to say all human beings came from this pair.

Even if what they meant was all of humanity, I don't believe there would be a way to identify a sole male and female progenitor. Also, I don't think an entire species could realistically survive from only two parents, we are at 7 billion people now.

I don't believe this for a second. Though I will happily eat crow if I am given substantial proof.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This.

I do not see an article listed nor multiple sources. I also remember the fake news about Pope Francis hating the LHC and believing in hell portals that you recently gave us OP.

Also, though I am not a scientist, this claim seems absolutely ridiculous. The timeframe is incredibly short and there is so much diversity among different species of animals around the world that it wouldn't make any sense that they would ALL share an common ancestor. You are saying ALL animal life come from this pair, and not just homo sapiens, which is impossible (ex. does the angler fish come from man?). Many animals came before us and have descendants that exist today that are certainly not related to human beings in any way. Perhaps this is just worded weirdly and the intent was to say all human beings came from this pair.

Even if what they meant was all of humanity, I don't believe there would be a way to identify a sole male and female progenitor. Also, I don't think an entire species could realistically survive from only two parents, we are at 7 billion people now.

I don't believe this for a second. Though I will happily eat crow if I am given substantial proof.

Bruh, the results surprised the guy. And he challenged them. But then he had to accept them. Sounds open and shut to me.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Yeah, even in my semi-drunk state I immediately knew this article/OP was designed to push a Christian agenda of all humans descending from the biblical Adam and Eve. Even if the OP didn't intend that, that's clearly where it was coming from.

In the world of reality, PBS did a somewhat similar Nova episode a few years ago about the "mitochondrial eve" that we all descend from.

Last edited:

Sakura

It is impossible to draw those conclusions from one bit of mitochondrial DNA, which is what they are doing. Just because it can be traced back to probably a single woman probably 200 or so thousand years ago, does not mean she was the first human, nor the only human at that time. It also does not mean that we aren't decended from other humans, just that we didn't inherit their mitochondrial dna.

GamingKaiju

Wait! What!? Was the book of genesis correct then? Or is this some sort of Christian Science stuff?

So we are all from born from incestal sex but said incestal sex is illegal 🤔 makes me question our government overlords now, what else is a lie 🤔

Yes the lack of source from OP had me suspicious then I saw the other article debunking this, I really find it despicable when religious groups tries to twist science into supporting their conclusions.

EDIT: It seems the report was highly misquoted and sensationalized by the press (big shock) and religious groups not really understanding the actual science jumped on it.

Last edited:

Airola

Because they haven't died out yet. They will soon enough as we continue to wreck the planet.

We destroy ourselves and everything that we have built. The current monkeys stay alive and end up evolving to humans. And they will end up wrecking the planet too, and who were monkeys to them are going to end up evolving into humans :O

The final plot twist: we used to be monkeys too and at the same time there were humans who wrecked the planet and left us to evolve into humans :O :O

greyshark

Wtf we have moon lander conspiracy theorists on the forum now? Trash thread brings outs out the best in us I see.

V4skunk

Banned
So the msm are starting to admit the fact that us humans have been around much much longer than previously admitted.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
science also tells us we have 60% of the same DNA material as a banana. not sure this tells us anything other than some scientists can connect some dots that they've drawn.

also "a simple and rapid technique" sounds like a good way to get a quick result but cut a lot of corners while you do it. could be error prone, especially the more you use it (and described as "rapid" they probably did)

Last edited:
Top Bottom