• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Do bureaucrats deserve more credit?

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
Not something I would normally think, but this piece is a reminder why of it's important to have a robust bureaucracy.

Ms. Hill’s testimony was widely hailed as an example of a public servant standing up for the public interest in the face of wrongdoing. And it indeed fell on the right side of a line that all public servants must walk.
There’s an important difference between the bureaucrat who publicly voices a personal disagreement with a government policy and one who has discovered something illegal or unethical, and blows the whistle.
The former is almost always wrong. Public servants must implement an administration’s policies without bias. They are unelected; they have no democratic authority to try to usurp the wishes of the elected.
In 2015, after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau won his first election, there was a justified outcry when civil servants in the Global Affairs department inappropriately cheered his victory when he visited their offices. Canadian bureaucrats aren’t prohibited from voting, but they have to maintain the appearance of impartiality in public and can never let personal political beliefs infect their work.
But even though the systems are different, the principle is universal: Democracy depends on bureaucrats who are professionally neutral and whose overriding allegiance is not to a political party but to the rule of law.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
There are no problems in society that can not be solved by additional layers of bureaucracy and higher taxes.
That is why countries with higher levels of bureaucracy are always much more successful!

Last edited:

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
There are no problems in society that can not be solved by additional layers of bureaucracy and higher taxes.
That is why countries with higher levels of bureaucracy are always much more successful!
It seems that way.

All the ones that make cuts to public service run into problems.

• LOL
Reactions: Tesseract

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Burrow rats (I hate spelling the word, and this one works better anyways) are one level below HR folks in the “Cybrwzrd hierarchy of life worth”

It’s a theory on how much the world loses in general utility should one die.

Which goes as such in descending order of usefulness.

1 - Doers
2- Teachers
3- HR goons
4- Burrow rats
5- Lawyers

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Off Duty Ninja

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
Blue collared workers probably top that list.

Thanks goodness for insurance.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Burrow rats (I hate spelling the word, and this one works better anyways) are one level below HR folks in the “Cybrwzrd hierarchy of life worth”

It’s a theory on how much the world loses in general utility should one die.

Which goes as such in descending order of usefulness.

1 - Doers
2- Teachers
3- HR goons
4- Burrow rats
5- Lawyers
I think I would put "Teachers" first. The worst thing in the world is a badly trained Doer, whether they are technicians or scientists or engineers.

The latter three are basically the same, though, and parasitize the rest.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Bureaucrats are not our problem as much as a fake sense of "Democracy" is. The country was far more stable when voting was more about keeping the country strong vs satisfying every victim.

Jan 9, 2018
Having spent my entire adult life in high education (first as a student / grad student, then employed for a decade), I can say that bureaucrats are most definitely the problem, not the solution, and their creep into all areas of life, work, and scholarship is a disaster.