• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do i have to play Dishonored before enjoying Dishonored 2?

Sup GAF,

Prey was a suprise for me and became a top 20 game for me. So i thought to give the Dishonored series a go, because i hear glowing praise about its leveldesign. Without spoiling anything, should i play the first one definetly or is a small recap vid on yt enough? Im afraid i will lose interesst after finishing the first one and wont enjoy the (better) second one. Or are they booth so good on thier own?

GymWolf

Yeah absolutely, and the dlc aswell since they literally introduct the villain for the second game.

And except for graphic/animations they don't feel like old games.

Of course they are good even alone, but you are gonna miss a lot of references, many refurning characters, and frankly, dish1 is still a superb game.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It's fantastic if you ain't an OCD sort of player, it might be the worst game of all time when it comes to lore fluff in books and notes.

Tschumi

Absolutely. D1 is worth any time you put in it. Few games come close, and D2 is even better in many ways, but you'll miss out on the magnitude of that leap if you skip!

balt1kr1s

Yes, you really should.
This is heavily story based series and you will miss A LOT if you just play Dishonored 2.

Play Dishonored + all 3 DLCs, then Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider (standalone expansion).
Noone them are fillers and will really enhance your experience.
A lot of people are missing the fact that this is series with fully fledged world that have a lot to say about itself.

Last edited:
Yes, Dishonored 2 is a direct sequel. You also need to play the story dlc of the first game if you plan on playing Dishonored Death of the Outsider after Dishonored 2. So Dis1, dlc, Dis2, Death of the otusider is the order of the stories. They're all very similar though the quality in level design from 1 to 2 is crazy and you'll love the maps in the second game. Its peak Arkane and I doubt any game wil surpass it, including overrated Deathloop.

kyussman

Yea,totally.....lore,story....everything about 2 will be better if you play the first one....and it's a great game anyway.Play the dlc for the first game too,it's basically another whole game with even more cool lore.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Must with these 2 games and besides, you wouldn't want to miss out on Dishonored OG. Arkane games are far more "futureproof" than from game companies. I recently replayed and really nothing feels "dated".

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think you'll be lost if you start on 2, there is a rather large time gap between them, but as others have said Dishonored 1 is great (and the DLC packs which form a second campaign) so you should play them.

rushgore

yes. but even if it didn't matter, i'd still suggest playing it, as dishonored 1 is one of the best games of all time in my book.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes. D1 is the better game anyway IMO, don't skip.

rubenburgt

I loved playing dishonored 1, bit I couldn't bring myself to keep playing dishonored 2.

If you care about characters and their lore then you definitely have to play the first one. The damsel in distress is the main character of the sequel after all.

(I finished dishonored 1 without killing anyone btw. That was a very fun challenge.)

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
No, but you should. Its a masterclass in level design as are all their games. Arkane, from what others are saying about Deathloop, continues the streak.

I am playing it right now, and yes you definitely need to have played the first to understand what is going on in the second. 1 is way better than 2 as well (imo).

Make sure you play the DLCs as well, adds two really amazing campaigns that are very much worth playing.

Also Death Of The Outsider should be played after 2.

GametimeUK

I played through Dishonored 1 last year. I still haven't played through the sequel, but all I can say is don't skip Dishonored 1. It was still perfectly enjoyable. At times it feels dated, but it was so far ahead of its time that most of what it does is still better than a majority of AAA titles released today.

Plantoid

Never had a problem with dark souls or sekiro, but dishonored is way hard for me, couldn't pass the 3rd gate in the game, 40min in I guess

ButchCat

Both are great games especially when it comes to world building however they're not known for their stories. The stories feel like that by design are only there to drive the game forward otherwise are afterthoughts (especially the second game).

If you're gonna play both I would highly recommend you take a break before jumping into the sequel as the gameplay is very similar to the first and you might feel burned out.

Mozzarella

You dont have to but if you care about the story, the setting and the characters then its recommended that you are familiar with the first game, this is just like Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 situation.
You can however start with Dishonored 2 and play 1 later, both are good. The first has better story and the second has better level design and gameplay, still the first gets more credit considering its the first that actually started the whole thing so its more innovative in that sense.

Rubik8

I loved Dishonored 1 but I just couldn’t get into Dishonored 2 for some reason. Maybe playing them back to back was a bad idea. I should have given it time to breathe.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm playing only now Dishonored 2 and these games are such rare gems. Arkane is definitely one of the best western devs around. That said you could start straight from the second but I think the first one is still a perfect experience and makes no sense skipping it if you don't have issues with a stepback in graphics.

Castef

Banned
Sup GAF,

Prey was a suprise for me and became a top 20 game for me. So i thought to give the Dishonored series a go, because i hear glowing praise about its leveldesign. Without spoiling anything, should i play the first one definetly or is a small recap vid on yt enough? Im afraid i will lose interesst after finishing the first one and wont enjoy the (better) second one. Or are they booth so good on thier own?
Long story short: yes, play the first one first.

You don't have to play Dishonored 1, but it is very good as is death of the outsider. Dishonored 2 doesn't continue where Dishonored 1 ended, so it's like, can I play Witcher 3 without playing Witcher 1/2 and reading the books. Of course you can.

I did like Dishonored 2 a bit more than I did Dishonored 1 though. Both are awesome, but I find Dishonored 2 to be so good in regards to level design. More-so than the first.

Last edited:

Roberts

I skipped both games when they came out for no particular reason. Recently tried to play the second part first, but didn’t really feel it. Then MS FPS boosted the first game so I played that, enjoyed it immensely and now the conflict at the beginning of the second one works so much better.

jaysius

Banned
I was looking through gamepass and realized that Dishonored Death of the Outsider is a game that came out after D2, is it really worth playing though? Is it fun?

I liked killing lots of shit in D2.

vypermajik

You don't have to, but you'll miss a lot of the major story swerves / beats, especially if you decide to play all the DLC.

Dr. Suchong

Play them all, then play them again!
I platted the lot on PS3/4
I might be tempted to play them again on Series X via the Arkane collection ( Which is usually cheap and staggeringly good value for money) to relive the sheer brilliance of them once more.
Some cheeky cheevos won't go amiss either :cool:

I was looking through gamepass and realized that Dishonored Death of the Outsider is a game that came out after D2, is it really worth playing though? Is it fun?

I liked killing lots of shit in D2.
It's worth it, yes.

It's feels a bit like Dishonored 2 post endgame content in the sense that you're a bit overpowered which makes sense given the context. But it is very good nonetheless.

jaysius

Banned
Play them all, then play them again!
I platted the lot on PS3/4
I might be tempted to play them again on Series X via the Arkane collection ( Which is usually cheap and staggeringly good value for money) to relive the sheer brilliance of them once more.
Some cheeky cheevos won't go amiss either :cool:

Just get a month of gamepass, all the games are there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom