• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Neogaf members wear the mask when going out?

Do you wear a face mask when going out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corrik

I do if everyone is or if a place requires it. I don't if going somewhere where no one else is following it.

Jtibh

Banned
Ok, let's consider you're not in a bad spot and the cases are low, why would you not wear a mask regardless?

There are no old people near you? You don't cross them on the street? Can't the virus cause damage to your parents or relatives? The disease can cause long term side-effects other than death, you think it's not important?

I'm asking because I don't understand your logic. Keeping you and those around you less likely to get sick is not something you want? And why is it that wearing a fucking mask makes, somehow, you lose anything? I mean, I really don't get it.

Explain to me, please.

2pFMbbG.png

To translate

1 you breathe in your exhaled air. That means you have more carbondioxid in your lungs.
2. You take in a lot less oxygen thats vital for your organs.
3. Your lungs are not as ventilated as they should which can result in lung damage
4. If you wear the mask for more than 30 minutes it will become contaminated with bacteria.
5. The mask cant hold back the virus.

I read many studies regarding long term damage to lungs due to excesive wearing of masks.

Why dont i or the majority not wear a mask?
Cuz there is nothing going on here.
Yes i have older family members and they are fine.
Most hospital admitions are ages 80 and up.

See current stat as of today for the whole of alberta.
My city has around less then half of hospitalaztions so around 20. And just a handful of icu cases.
Active cases indicate stay home on your ass for 2 weeks which means little to no symptoms

2wIK3Lp.png

This is pretty much consistent for the last 2 months and didnt move despite of all the reopenings.

Tim hortons mcdonalds a&w etc hand out free masks in pack of fives every time you go through the drive thru.
There is no reason not to have access to masks yet we just dont need it.
I see sometimes people in the stores with a mask on but most here just dont feel they need it.
I take my vitamin c and d daily and wash my hand and use handsan every time i go to a store.
Every place you go to is cleaning shopping carts tables etc.

My gym shuts down every hour to disinfect all surfaces for 30 minutes. Then you can continue.

For context if anyone has reason to stay safe its me and my family.
Wife cant get sick or she cant work for a while.
I had heart surgery not so long ago. Mitral valve repair.
My mother in law just got out of the hospital a couple weeks ago and was diagnosed with dementia.
We are very fragile yet we practice basic hygiene but the mask os not part of it due to how inefective it is.

Just look at our stats and compare it to where ever you live and you'll see a big difference and why we just dont care for masks.

Now if i want to go into all the details about how low of a risk this virus is in my age group or even all the way up to 70 well look no further then our life style here.
Smoking is banned in all public places. You are not allowed to smoke less than 5 meters from any condo entrance etc.
I barelly see anyone smoking other than the occasional pot smoker.
Sure some people vape but the point is statisticly canada has a lot less smokers then majority of the world.
People here eat better healtier than in the states they also excercise a lot more and are known for all sort of outdoor activities.
Every time i go to europe i cant believe how many people still smoke and eat shit food and look like 50 at the age of 30.
Then they wonder why their immune system is compromised and get sick.
In the states there are a lot of unhealthy people and they also have a very high number of drug users and a large number of obese so yes they will be at a much higher risk of getting the virus.

I can go on and on and maybe i will prove my case here that is ONLY ment for canada and not the rest of the world.

Typing on my phone is a chore and its pasr midnight , going to sleep.
Hope this gave you some closure why i think wearing a maks in canada and especially in alberta is nothing more then a false sence of security against a virus that just doesnt want to show up.

Also i just want to add this to my post.
The mask you or me or anyone else is wearing DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM THE VIRUS.
My wife gets her mask custom fit almost every day. Doctors and nurses wear specialized custom fit masks. And since its custom there is shortage of it even for them.

This is fact.
So lay off the mask and wash your dirty hands and live a better life style eat better etc

Now is really the time to make a change in your life .

Last edited:

Relativ9

I wear a mask when shopping and everything, but I have a question to those who see the masks as absolutely necessary. What is the endgame in your opinion? When can we stop wearing the masks?

1. When the virus has died out (herd immunity)?
2. When we have a vaccine that's confirmed to work without more dangerous side effects?
3. When the "curve is flattened"?
4. When everyone is just sick of it and have accepted our new reality and moved on?

Cause I have a feeling that realistically number four is going to take place way before the first three.

JasonVA

I wear a mask when shopping and everything, but I have a question to those who see the masks as absolutely necessary. What is the endgame in your opinion? When can we stop wearing the masks?

1. When the virus has died out (herd immunity)?
2. When we have a vaccine that's confirmed to work without more dangerous side effects?
3. When the "curve is flattened"?
4. When everyone is just sick of it and have accepted our new reality and moved on?

Cause I have a feeling that realistically number four is going to take place way before the first three.

Who said it needs to end? Wearing a mask in shop, on transport etc should be a new law of the country permanently

Relativ9

Who said it needs to end? Wearing a mask in shop, on transport etc should be a new law of the country permanently

Well I'm assuming you mean the US? Since only people from there assume saying "the country" is information enough. Either way US or the rest of the world, that seems fucking crazy! Everyone wear a mask at all times for a disease that has a super low mortality rate (confirmed to be less than 2%, most likely (due to large numbers of untested and symptom free infected) way lower than 1%) forever? You do realize you're not going to get people to go along with that right?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Always, I have a respirator with filters and a pack of basic respirators. No need to catch a virus and die when all you have to do is wear a mask.

Jtibh

Banned
Well I'm assuming you mean the US? Since only people from there assume saying "the country" is information enough. Either way US or the rest of the world, that seems fucking crazy! Everyone wear a mask at all times for a disease that has a super low mortality rate (confirmed to be less than 2%, most likely (due to large numbers of untested and symptom free infected) way lower than 1%) forever? You do realize you're not going to get people to go along with that right?
He aint from the states.
Words like transport and shop are not used over there.
As well as the notion it should be permanent is not something i heard from any american.
He didnt even aknowledge my reply to him about why you shouldnt wear a mask.

But hey fanatics are born every day.

Last edited:
Once for a haircut. Not at work. I produce goods for the healthcare industry. Our drivers wear masks/ gloves when interacting with hospitals, hospice, clinics, etc. Per CDC guidelines our factory has enough square feet that we don’t wear masks, even though we have a dozen per shift occasionally standing next to each other, fans blowing, and a mucus horror who spits everywhere. We do thermometer checks to start shift. Most of the 12 eat in the break room at same time. We do sterilize one inventory item, wear gloves, and have access to face shields. Masks are provided for the stupid people who want to have a Petri dish around their sinus for 9 hours in 110 degree heat / 80 percent humidity.
No recorded cases at any of our locations, and I firmly believe virus peaked in my city in January. Pretty sure my whole family had it in early January, except for my wife.

Nymphae

Banned
No need to catch a virus and die when all you have to do is wear a mask.

I thought the idea was less that these are keeping you from getting it and more about keeping the droplets from possibly infected individuals contained, most of the stuff I read on the masks stresses that it's for protecting others not yourself.

Last edited:
I went shopping today and there was no queue to get in the shop, maybe half a dozen people with a mask on out of over 100 and people reaching past others to get to things on the shelves. Looks like things are finally getting back to normal.

cryptoadam

Banned
Always, I have a respirator with filters and a pack of basic respirators. No need to catch a virus and die when all you have to do is wear a mask.

Do you wear your goggles too because the virus gets in through your eyes.

The first is during the care of a patient with unrecognized Covid-19. A mask alone in this setting will reduce risk only slightly, however, since it does not provide protection from droplets that may enter the eyes or from fomites on the patient or in the environment that providers may pick up on their hands and carry to their mucous membranes

Not everyone is in the USA or some other hard hit area.

Im in QLD Australia and we've had less than a handful of cases in over a month, where I am specifically hasnt had any for longer.a

Obvs meant the US.

We're still in the throws because The South think masks are a strike against "Ma 'Murican FREEDOM."

Shit should've been mandated by executive order back in March. The virus would've been stomped out and I'd be at Six Flags tomorrow if that were the case.

Last edited:

pixelation

I care about my health and safety but more importantly, I care about those around me (also have a fully functioning brain). So the answer is yes, because I am not a self-centered mal-intentioned dunce.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Once for a haircut. Not at work. I produce goods for the healthcare industry. Our drivers wear masks/ gloves when interacting with hospitals, hospice, clinics, etc. Per CDC guidelines our factory has enough square feet that we don’t wear masks, even though we have a dozen per shift occasionally standing next to each other, fans blowing, and a mucus horror who spits everywhere. We do thermometer checks to start shift. Most of the 12 eat in the break room at same time. We do sterilize one inventory item, wear gloves, and have access to face shields. Masks are provided for the stupid people who want to have a Petri dish around their sinus for 9 hours in 110 degree heat / 80 percent humidity.
No recorded cases at any of our locations, and I firmly believe virus peaked in my city in January. Pretty sure my whole family had it in early January, except for my wife.
You do realize that your mouth/nose/skin are not sterile? That if you have a "petri" dish on your face, its only growing whats already inside you?

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
2pFMbbG.png

To translate

1 you breathe in your exhaled air. That means you have more carbondioxid in your lungs.
2. You take in a lot less oxygen thats vital for your organs.
3. Your lungs are not as ventilated as they should which can result in lung damage
4. If you wear the mask for more than 30 minutes it will become contaminated with bacteria.
5. The mask cant hold back the virus.

I read many studies regarding long term damage to lungs due to excesive wearing of masks.

Why dont i or the majority not wear a mask?
Cuz there is nothing going on here.
Yes i have older family members and they are fine.
Most hospital admitions are ages 80 and up.

See current stat as of today for the whole of alberta.
My city has around less then half of hospitalaztions so around 20. And just a handful of icu cases.
Active cases indicate stay home on your ass for 2 weeks which means little to no symptoms

2wIK3Lp.png

This is pretty much consistent for the last 2 months and didnt move despite of all the reopenings.

Tim hortons mcdonalds a&w etc hand out free masks in pack of fives every time you go through the drive thru.
There is no reason not to have access to masks yet we just dont need it.
I see sometimes people in the stores with a mask on but most here just dont feel they need it.
I take my vitamin c and d daily and wash my hand and use handsan every time i go to a store.
Every place you go to is cleaning shopping carts tables etc.

My gym shuts down every hour to disinfect all surfaces for 30 minutes. Then you can continue.

For context if anyone has reason to stay safe its me and my family.
Wife cant get sick or she cant work for a while.
I had heart surgery not so long ago. Mitral valve repair.
My mother in law just got out of the hospital a couple weeks ago and was diagnosed with dementia.
We are very fragile yet we practice basic hygiene but the mask os not part of it due to how inefective it is.

Just look at our stats and compare it to where ever you live and you'll see a big difference and why we just dont care for masks.

Now if i want to go into all the details about how low of a risk this virus is in my age group or even all the way up to 70 well look no further then our life style here.
Smoking is banned in all public places. You are not allowed to smoke less than 5 meters from any condo entrance etc.
I barelly see anyone smoking other than the occasional pot smoker.
Sure some people vape but the point is statisticly canada has a lot less smokers then majority of the world.
People here eat better healtier than in the states they also excercise a lot more and are known for all sort of outdoor activities.
Every time i go to europe i cant believe how many people still smoke and eat shit food and look like 50 at the age of 30.
Then they wonder why their immune system is compromised and get sick.
In the states there are a lot of unhealthy people and they also have a very high number of drug users and a large number of obese so yes they will be at a much higher risk of getting the virus.

I can go on and on and maybe i will prove my case here that is ONLY ment for canada and not the rest of the world.

Typing on my phone is a chore and its pasr midnight , going to sleep.
Hope this gave you some closure why i think wearing a maks in canada and especially in alberta is nothing more then a false sence of security against a virus that just doesnt want to show up.

Also i just want to add this to my post.
The mask you or me or anyone else is wearing DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM THE VIRUS.
My wife gets her mask custom fit almost every day. Doctors and nurses wear specialized custom fit masks. And since its custom there is shortage of it even for them.

This is fact.
So lay off the mask and wash your dirty hands and live a better life style eat better etc

Now is really the time to make a change in your life .

Citation needed for all of your claims.

How long do you think people are expecting you to wear a mask? Surgeons can wear them in excess of 8 hours a day and they aren’t coming down with chronic lung disease. And unless you’re super indecisive at the grocery store, chances are you’ll only be wearing them for a fraction of that time period.

PS: Alberta had the highest per capita rate of new Covid19 cases in Canada today and cases are spiking. Maybe you should reconsider wearing a mask.

Jtibh

Banned
Citation needed for all of your claims.

How long do you think people are expecting you to wear a mask? Surgeons can wear them in excess of 8 hours a day and they aren’t coming down with chronic lung disease. And unless you’re super indecisive at the grocery store, chances are you’ll only be wearing them for a fraction of that time period.

PS: Alberta had the highest per capita rate of new Covid19 cases in Canada today and cases are spiking. Maybe you should reconsider wearing a mask.
Buddy pipe down. This is not peru third world country. No one cares for your comments.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So basically nothing?

Anyway, just in case anyone naive falls for your shit I’ll just leave what the American Lung Association has to say regarding face masks:

You live in bc hahaha ok .
Provide proof
Bizarre.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
So basically nothing?

Anyway, just in case anyone naive falls for your shit I’ll just leave what the American Lung Association has to say regarding face masks:

Bizarre.
You state you live in bc which i highly doubt.
But you can prove me wrong then i would take you serious.
So far you are a joke to me

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You’re the one making the claims re: lung damage. The burden of proof is on you.

I only told you where I lived because you seemed strangely obsessed with it. I thought I might give it to you in the hopes you would be placated enough to give me a substantive response. Instead your brain seems to have melted.

Jtibh

Banned
You’re the one making the claims re: lung damage. The burden of proof is on you.

I only told you where I lived because you seemed strangely obsessed with it. I thought I might give it to you in the hopes you would be placated enough to give me a substantive response. Instead your brain seems to have melted.
Hahaha ok buddy you were just making shit up about living in bc.
All good. No one cares
Good luck.
Put you on mute for failing to meet my standards

GodofWhimsy

I have pretty bad asthma so, yeah. I don't know how badly COVID would effect me as otherwise I'm pretty healthy and in good shape, but I'm just not taking that risk. Also my younger brother has asthma waaaay worse than I do and I don't wanna risk passing anything on to him.

OutRun88

For those oh so virtuous users who are wearing them because “they are protecting others”, “are not assholes”, or think “it’s not that big of deal” I ask you:

Have you been wearing a mask during flu season for the past few years?

Tesseract

Banned
For those oh so virtuous users who are wearing them because “they are protecting others”, “are not assholes”, or think “it’s not that big of deal” I ask you:

Have you been wearing a mask during flu season for the past few years?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yes, when I go to the store, interact with people living outside the house, I wear a mask all the time.

Susurrus

I don't understand why the masks are a political thing in the US. Why is it "liberal" to want to wear a mask and "conservative" to be against them?

I'm pretty independent so maybe I don't get it....I didn't last round, but AM planning on voting for Trump this year, but still am fully for masks. I also think that it is a state thing. And if it was an executive mandate, it has to be enforced. I was in Virginia yesterday, where it is mandatory, and about half the STAFF and a ton of the customers were either not wearing a mask or nose was out. You think a national mandate would make it any different?

This is among the other things that seem to be have to be cut and dry for political lines that I don't understand. Why's everything have to be political? There was a whole slew of mixed things that would be against "conservative" and others be against "liberal" that I feel and I was going to list but that is another topic...but what it comes down to is think for yourself and stop buying into the LEFT vs RIGHT cookie cutter lines.

J-Roderton

Went to grocery store last night and I'm the only one wearing a mask. Went to the same place again this morning and everyone and their brother had one on. Weird.

cryptoadam

Banned
Obvs meant the US.

We're still in the throws because The South think masks are a strike against "Ma 'Murican FREEDOM."

Shit should've been mandated by executive order back in March. The virus would've been stomped out and I'd be at Six Flags tomorrow if that were the case.

Actually if Trump mandated them back in March none of you would be wearing masks right now.

We know the story just check HCQ.

Trump comes out for masks and the media/left become anti mask, saying Trump is promoting quack science looking for a quick fix to get the economy going. They will point to the WHO/Fauci/CDC and all western experts that said universal masking benefit is marginal, and actually can be harmful because of the false sense of security.

The media would then spend weeks telling everyone that masks can kill you, get some experts and fake studies showing you breath in more bacteria and you oxygen levels fall. There would have been a concentrated effort to demonize masks and anyone on YT or Social media that promoted masks and their benefits would be cancelled.

Anyways here in Montreal 17 cases today and maybe 20% of people wear masks, if that. And like 5% of young people. If I see someone in a mask they are either Asian or 40+. Heck my GF works at the hospital and she doesn't even wear a mask in public anymore. Got some ice cream yesterday and saw a whole bunch of people not one of em had a mask.

I will continue to wear my mask because I have a shit ton of em so no need for them to go to waste but I am really starting to feel like an idiot.

elektrokats

Banned
No

Why? Because I am not a parrot who just repeats things they read on the internet enforce them as fact.

I form my own consensus based on the factors that I am seeing day to day.

I will legitmately wear a mask if I personally feel that the odds of catching it where-ever I am going are going to be high. Such as being close to a recent outbreak zone or interacting with a lot of people

I will NOT however wear a fucking mask everytime I get into my car, or at the local park or even grocery shopping. I know to some of you that seems crazy but there is VERY little/not fully understood evidence to support the effectiveness of masks in these settings

You're all just doing what you're told and repeating the same things that other people are saying on the internet. I don't want to use the turn "sheep" but that is a pretty fuckin' cut clear example of it.

And yknow what? If do end up getting sick? Oh well then! I will self isolate immediately and hope I make it through, which I probably will.

Like, we don't even know 100% for sure if this virus will ever go away, or if it will return on a yearly basis like the regular flu.

Those of you saying yes, hypothetically speaking, would you be prepared to wear a mask every year for a few months for the rest of your life during flu season???? Are you all just going to bend over and accept that?

I mean how is any of this our fault anyways? We have all just tried to live our lives in peace but because this world and all of its leaders play petty ass games and can't get along eachother means I can't live my life in peace and safety???

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wear a piece of cloth against my mouth, moistened by breath, in the summer? That's an infection waiting to happen.

COVID-19 alert

Can asymptomatic coronavirus disease be transmitted?

Asymptomatic transmission refers to transmission of the virus from a person, who does not develop symptoms. There are few reports of laboratory-confirmed cases who are truly asymptomatic, and to date, there has been no documented asymptomatic transmission.

Do you mean of this virus or period?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I’ve been strict as hell about masks and avoiding crowds since March. However, July 4th I went a little overboard with bars, ubers and crowds so we’ll see what happens.

Where I live and in the industry I work in the Covid shit never gained much traction. We got our businesses shit-kicked and the big box stores have arrows all over that nobody cares about and the chemical hose on full blast at the front door. Masks haven't really been a thing unless people want to wear them for their own piece of mind.

Here out of a population of about 1 million there have been just under 800 reported cases, and 14 deaths. Most cases were in the northern part of the province in the native population. All of the deaths were in the native population and. Of the 14 deaths most likely had underlying issues as is the case in the north.

With how communicable the virus is, chances are I already caught it back in January-March and shrugged it off like every other flu-like virus I've ever caught anyways.

I have to wear an actual full-face mask with carbon filters, built-in prescription lenses, a fitted rubber gasket and a clean-shaven face at work since I work with some very potent chemicals as an industrial painter. In our shop yard we have to always wear fitted industrial N95 masks as we also have a massive sandblasting complex on-site and silicates destroy your lungs very quickly. I received training for all the PPE we use at the shop and a surgical mask strapped around your ears is not even acceptable as a dust mask. If someone entered our yard with a surgical mask I would immediately escort them out and equip them with proper PPE. If it was one of my guys I'd write him up for it. If a surgical mask is useless against silicates which are an order of magnitude larger than a virus, I find it hard to believe they work against a microscopic virus.

Romulus

The resort my gf manages has 89 employees. 8 of them from before the mandate opted against wearing a mask. 11 cases were reported total and every single one of the employees that didn't wear a mask got Cov19. Its mandatory now.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
For those of y'all who think mask wearing is SOMEHOW a treading on your rights... Remember that it isn't about YOU... But the people around you that YOU can infect.

Same thing happened during the Spanish Flu epidemic...

https://www.history.com/news/1918-spanish-flu-mask-wearing-resistance

And yes, when I go out, I wear a mask. When I'm able to be distant from others I pull it down to breathe better. Put it up when around others.

Top Bottom