• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DO NOT download Sonic Runners, major safety concerns (burning being one)

If software can cause hardware failure like that then that's the manufacturer of the phone's fault.

Depends is it's tied to one common phone model though no? But it might seem numerous are experiencing this.

http://board.sonicstadium.org/statuses/user/268-hogfather/?status_id=701612

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic...android-thread-version-20/page-66#entry947864

Sounds like you should avoid Android phones then

I have one but not the game, it's not compatible, thank god apparently. I just wanted to get this out there in case folks are attempting to download it.

Berordn

That's going to have little to do with the game outside of poor optimization.

Which to be fair, it is very poorly optimized on Android, but I've been playing it on and off for months and my phones and tablets have not burst into flames.

That's going to have little to do with the game outside of poor optimization.

Which to be fair, it is very poorly optimized on Android, but I've been playing it on and off for months and my phones and tablets have not burst into flames.

I'm wondering about that, it might be somehow a different release than the one prior to today? I noticed the icon on Google Play is different than when I last checked the other day (it now has an orange background).

Edit: Yep, at least the icons are different, checked a cached page and the current one:

jBJxHeF.png
NUexP21.png

If software can cause hardware failure like that then that's the manufacturer of the phone's fault.

Basically this. If whatever that makes it onto a sanctioned, phone manufacturer recommended program repository can make the phone burn, then the author of the program is not really in fault.

I obviously don't recommend downloading it per se, I just find the report hilarious.

MrBadger

Damn. I just deleted this game because I was getting fed up of the always online stuff and Sonic 06 tier loading. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

I was playing it on an iPhone and it didn't appear to mess it up. Obviously Sonic is so fast and extreme that some phones can't handle him

mcarlie

Banned
Depends is it's tied to one common phone model though no? But it might seem numerous are experiencing this.

http://board.sonicstadium.org/statuses/user/268-hogfather/?status_id=701612

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic...android-thread-version-20/page-66#entry947864

I have one but not the game, it's not compatible, thank god apparently. I just wanted to get this out there in case folks are attempting to download it.

If the system can't handle the processor or gpu being used to it's fullest then it's the manufacturers fault for not placing a limit.

Most PCs, as well as many phones, also have a heat limit where they will switch themselves off.

The iOS version update made the game has big stutter every few seconds on iphone 5's, when before now it was a little choppy but never had stutter and pausing.

The launch version also made leveling up characters cost more rings, reduced the bonus the rappy buddy gives you, added a leveling xp system (not really sure what this does yet) and a few other tweaks I don't agree with, they also added in video advertising which was never there before.

They also nerfed the rate you earn red coins for no reason, the price of red rings is already too expensive since you need 50 for the roulette and buying that many costs you a few quid.

Runners started off as such a nice freemium game and now it's half of what it was, you get less lives, you have to grind more to level up, it's become a slog.

L.O.R.D

i was about to open this thread
iOS version no problem so far
but more then 90% of android users have problems
the game crashes immediately
and heat reach to 50 c , some device will shutdown or burn

i really don't get it , before the global release , the "beta" version was okey
now even if the game don't crash , there is tons of adds

Sciz

It's been quite a long time since you could buy a CPU that doesn't automatically downclock or crash in response to reaching its thermal limit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I played a bit on my LG Tribute, but I also have apps to boost my RAM, clean out excess memory, close apps to lower the internal temp, & such.

I have that second icon, the one with the yellow/gold background, if it matters.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Damn. I just deleted this game because I was getting fed up of the always online stuff and Sonic 06 tier loading. Sounds like I dodged a bullet

lol, did the same thing

got one race in, took forever to load and connect and then it booted into a f2p video ad

deleted it immediately

They changed stuff between the last beta update and this release, you would think that they would TEST this stuff before launchingt as a final.

Sega's gotta sega.

I have it in my z3 compact and started fine .then because I was withouth an internet conection I restarted it and started to crash.

Rembrandt

Banned
I'm wondering about that, it might be somehow a different release than the one prior to today? I noticed the icon on Google Play is different than when I last checked the other day (it now has an orange background).

Edit: Yep, at least the icons are different, checked a cached page and the current one:

I like how they went for a hotter color, too. Very subtle warning

Berordn

The game is way less snappy than it was before on my N9, but I haven't run into any of the issues other people are mentioning. No ads, no overheating. Longer loading times and I'm not really a fan of any of the changes they made for this patch, but nothing catastrophic.

edit: actually just bumped into my first ad, a static full screen thing. annoying but didn't fuss when i closed it.

Tetraeon

This is hilarious. Also quite fitting. The first Sonic game in quite a while that is catching fire, albeit for the wrong reasons.

I'm betting this is happening to rooted phones with custom ROM/kernels. Stock Android throttles if it gets too warm, so this should not be possible.

Noobcraft

Totally just downloaded sonic runners to see if my phone catches on fire. Thanks OP.

Edit: it crashes when I open it...
Edit2: Anyone with an HTC One have luck getting the game to run? I can't get past the Sega splash screen without it crashing.

Been trying to play runners a bit more and the iphone 5 stutter is terrible, it will eat a jump command or stutter and make the character phase through boost rings like they were never there, causing early deaths. It never did this before today.

Sega really fucked up this worldwide version, upsettings after how fun the game was at first.

Alienous

Sonic games can now cause you physical pain, on top of the emotional and psychological pain that's practically a back-of-the-box feature for the series now?

We should have seen this coming.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's been quite a long time since you could buy a CPU that doesn't automatically downclock or crash in response to reaching its thermal limit.

Android does this by default, it has always done this. The ability to set a clockspeed for your cpu in android is brand new, it was added at the request of people doing experimental research and development where trottling would destroy their experiment. It isnt supposed to be used for normal applications.

What you do, in fact, is set a minimum clockspeed to throttle to. If your minimum clock speed is the same as the maximum clockspeed, you will never downclock.

Why a sonic game is setting a minimum clock speed is beyond me.

Krejlooc

Banned
I am curious - has anybody been able to get this running on a non samsung device?

I am also wondering if those reports of phones burning are entirely samsung phones.

Top Bottom