• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Not Search For "The Last Of Us Part 2" On YouTube!

boneso

So, this will be a short post but it has really annoyed me how some youtubers can be so needy for clicks that they will literally reveal huge spoilers right in the title of the video.

I was just searching for reviews of tlou2 with no spoilers for the game, and as I was scrolling down the page BLAM! 2 videos from 2 different youtubers with a massive plot reveal spoiler right in the title of the video. To make it even worse the thumbnail showed part of the scene they had just described in the title.

What I feel must be a huge part of the games story, a massive plot point, has now been revealed to me in the most dissapointing way possible. A clickbait youtube video made by a nobody who somehow had access to the game early, trying to get views by any means possible, even if it means potentially ruining it for thousands of unsuspecting people.

I know if I didn't want any spoiler I shouldn't have searched for the game on YT. But, I have seen plenty of spoiler free content already and didn't think anything as explicit as what I saw would even be allowed on YouTube, let alone just come up on the main search pages without the exact wording being searched for.

Rant over. I hope you haven't seen what I have seen.

Valentino

Yeah I need major help with this. Someone on here already suggested downloading Spoiler Protection 2.0 for Chrome and Firefox which I did, but I cant get the add on to hide thumbnails on youtube. Only hides the title. Anyone able to help? Aside from telling me just don't go on youtube :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit: youtubers are actual begs. There should be some ban on a youtube account if they post content

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
This has been a problem with YouTube for years now. All the really big games, movies, tv shows get spoiled all the time.

The glorious, always online, constantly connected information age we live in. Not really sure what they can do about it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I hope you haven't seen what I have seen.

Half the internet did, like 3 weeks ago. I think it did a lot of them a favour, honestly.

I still have it ordered for tomorrow. The first was decent and I'll decide for myself how preachy it is.

Reactions: Isa

Bartski

Gold Member
Yeah I need major help with this. Someone on here already suggested downloading Spoiler Protection 2.0 for Chrome and Firefox which I did, but I cant get the add on to hide thumbnails on youtube. Only hides the title. Anyone able to help? Aside from telling me just don't go on youtube

edit: youtubers are actual begs. There should be some ban on a youtube account if they post content
few things I hate in life more than these cunts, got so many games spoiled that way before... there is no built-in system in youtube that would let you permaban channels that actually works.
Basically, if you watch gaming videos - you're screwed and youtube will keep throwing this shit into your feed.
You can disable ALL thumbnails by switching off images in Spoiler Protection 2.0

wYmyhcU.png

boneso

Half the internet did, like 3 weeks ago. I think it did a lot of them a favour, honestly.

I still have it ordered for tomorrow. The first was decent and I'll decide for myself how preachy it is.

I heard about the story leak weeks ago and had managed to avoid it, I still don't know if what I saw today is the same thing that got leaked before. It wasn't hard to avoid, unless you were searching for it specifically I don't think you would accidentally come across it. This was different, an intentional spoiler for anyone to see.

I had never seen anything like that before for any big game the day before release, not in a YT video title and thumbnail at least.

Lesson learned I suppose.

Blond

Banned
few things I hate in life more than these cunts, got so many games spoiled that way before... there is no built-in system in youtube that would let you permaban channels that actually works.
Basically, if you watch gaming videos - you're screwed and youtube will keep throwing this shit into your feed.
You can disable ALL thumbnails by switching off images in Spoiler Protection 2.0

wYmyhcU.png

Yeah, this shit ruined God of War 18 for me when 2 major story beats were recommended RIGHT after one another for me when I opened the app. Not that I didn't expected certain things to happen to tie back to the originals, but it would've been nice to see those moments myself than massive titles and thumbnails just opening the home page.

Valentino

Thank you so so much. Today feels the hardest yet to keep an eye out

J3nga

Youtube recommendations algorithm is still a crap. I've been disabling tlou2 recommendations for the past 30 minutes and it still keeps throwing tlou videos at my feed. Piece of a fucking shit can't understand I don't want tlou videos. And why it can't one button click where I enter a keyword(-s) and it filters any content related to that. How hard this can be to make.

Bartski

Gold Member
Yeah, this shit ruined God of War 18 for me when 2 major story beats were recommended RIGHT after one another for me when I opened the app. Not that I didn't expected certain things to happen to tie back to the originals, but it would've been nice to see those moments myself than massive titles and thumbnails just opening the home page.
worst of all some of these motherfuckers are both totally relentless in doing it (video descriptions + thumbnails on day one), often get early copies from developers (wtf??) and have a huge audience that just doesn't give a fuck, therefore are pushed by youtube algorithms as "popular content" into feeds of whoever follows gaming content.

I dropped Days Gone halfway through as I knew all the beats just by scrolling through my feed. Video blocker doesn't work, blocking channel is a joke I'm still seeing videos by the likes of shirrako, even though I blocked them every single way possible.

I wouldn't give two shits about buying games on release and there is no other way I'm doing it these days for the titles I really want to play, just because there seems to be no way of avoiding it if you're on youtube.

shubhang

Neo Member
i own a PS4 and i don't know about anyone else but i'm gonna wait to play TLOU2 when they inevitably release it on PS5 so i can play it at 60 fps(or possibly even higher ?) on my oled with perhaps even better graphical improvements such as ray tracing possibly.Don't know how I'll be avoiding spoilers until that time though :messenger_pensive:

Not to sound like a dick but if you've gone this long without any spoilers why would you search for the game on day/day before release?

Surely you musta known the risk was high?

sobaka770

Banned
How come so many streamers are even allowed to stream the game a whole day before release? It's spoiler-fest territory out there.

Doom85

Even if one doesn't actively search it, the video could still pop up on your recommendations and ruin it for you anyway. This has happened to me before where in my recommendations thread there was a video with a title giving away a major spoiler about Season 5 of Samurai Jack. The season hadn't even finishing airing at the time. Fuck these people, they know they could re-title it to make it clear what the video was but also not spoil it for people who hadn't seen/played it, but they did so anyway. I know there are some who don't mind hearing a spoiler, but that also doesn't mean one gets to decide everyone else apparently doesn't mind them (christ, why are people shocked that some people don't like spoilers? Do they not even see what the first five letters of the word spell?). Just because I love ketchup on my burger doesn't justify me trying to put ketchup on all my friends' burgers as we sit down to eat. That's basically how people who spoil stuff because they don't care are behaving in my eyes.

And no, I don't two fucking shits if one didn't personally enjoy how a story played out, that doesn't entitle you to spoil it for everyone. Just because you had an opinion doesn't mean everyone else's opinion will match yours. Stop being self-centered. You didn't like something, okay, that doesn't justify you being a dick to other people.

The home suggestion page almost spoiled the some parts of the game for me, there is already gamplay videos on youtube is popping them up on my home page which annoys the hell out of me. I'm going to avoid Youtube the coming days until I beat the game.

ToadMan

Yeah just randomly looking at YouTube and some channel is offering TLOU2 cutscenes without searching for anything - that's OK but the titles and thumbnail are already partial spoilers.

Personally I don't care that much - I'm not hyped even though I've got TLOU2 preloaded. I watched the spoilers before too.

But for people who want to go in totally fresh that's BS. Immediately ignore those channels is my suggestion.

Rolla

Banned
If people have waited years and now, when the release is literally hours away, go on youtube and get spoiled?

I have no sympathy.

None of us are new to this and all of us know that youtubes algo gives zero fucks. I've been avoiding spoilers since they first leaked. You couldn't pay me to go on any platform where I know spoilers are likely to be.

DelireMan7

Just by typing "Last of us" in the search bar I got "Last of part 2 *insert spoiler here*" as search suggestion xD

EDIT : I don't mind that much as I already spoiled myself and it's not such a big deal since it's more the experience which is important more than the finality of the story for me. But staying out of spoiler, can be complicated for sure

Last edited:
Too late mang, been did that.

Even if one doesn't actively search it, the video could still pop up on your recommendations and ruin it for you anyway. This has happened to me before where in my recommendations thread there was a video with a title giving away a major spoiler about Season 5 of Samurai Jack. The season hadn't even finishing airing at the time. Fuck these people, they know they could re-title it to make it clear what the video was but also not spoil it for people who hadn't seen/played it, but they did so anyway. I know there are some who don't mind hearing a spoiler, but that also doesn't mean one gets to decide everyone else apparently doesn't mind them (christ, why are people shocked that some people don't like spoilers? Do they not even see what the first five letters of the word spell?). Just because I love ketchup on my burger doesn't justify me trying to put ketchup on all my friends' burgers as we sit down to eat. That's basically how people who spoil stuff because they don't care are behaving in my eyes.

And no, I don't two fucking shits if one didn't personally enjoy how a story played out, that doesn't entitle you to spoil it for everyone. Just because you had an opinion doesn't mean everyone else's opinion will match yours. Stop being self-centered. You didn't like something, okay, that doesn't justify you being a dick to other people.

Having been spoiled, IMO I think a huge part of the fanbase is not gonna like this game's story at all. But that's just my opinion.

Imagine thinking every outlet is lying to you 😂

My Faith is in Naughty Dog and their past record btw.

Going by what some are saying, your faith has not been rewarded :S

Last edited:

Terce

If you're so desperate to avoid leaks and spoilers, why are you frequenting websites that are widely known to be plagued by them? This is really a situation of "yeah no shit" and you asking for this yourself. If this is such a big deal to you, or anyone reading this, you already know by now what sites to avoid in this type of situation.

Here's a wild thought, don't google the thing you don't want spoiled close to it's release, plus minus a few days.

boneso

If people have waited years and now, when the release is literally hours away, go on youtube and get spoiled?

I have no sympathy.

None of us are new to this and all of us know that youtubes algo gives zero fucks. I've been avoiding spoilers since they first leaked. You couldn't pay me to go on any platform where I know spoilers are likely to be.

Not looking for sympathy.

I have never had a game story spoiled in such a way before and I can't be the only one. So this was more of a heads up for those looking for honest spoiler free reviews, of which there are plenty, that might run into unwanted spoilers from selfish idiots.

Yeah, it's a media blackout for me on all things TLOU2 since the state of play.

I did almost spoil myself when I wanted to show my girlfriend (who bought the game for me, bless her) some gameplay.

It's funny to avoid any spoilers now since I indulged myself with them during the leak - but I'm convinced there's more than meets the leak.

Doom85

Having been spoiled, IMO I think a huge part of the fanbase is not gonna like this game's story at all. But that's just my opinion.

rvKFwxD.gif

Exactly, you acknowledge it's all opinions and while it's totally cool to suspect that others, even many, may end up feeling the same way, you also acknowledge you can't know that for sure. Wish more folks out there could have your mindset.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This has been a problem with YouTube for years now. All the really big games, movies, tv shows get spoiled all the time.

The glorious, always online, constantly connected information age we live in. Not really sure what they can do about it.
png-transparent-black-power-button-logo-computer-icons-button-power-symbol-on-off-button-window-symbol-on-off-button-thumbnail.png

#Phonepunk#

Banned
If you are searching the internet for a game that you know has been leaked then I don’t know what to tell you

it comes out tomorrow. You don’t have the self discipline to log out for a single day?

Spokker

I'm fine with it. I won't even play it for another couple years until it's $15. I'll probably forget what the spoilers even are haha

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's extremely disappointing how youtube is not doing anything about it (it's been happening for years) and they even recommend ending / death videos from the recent games. I pretty much blocked all of that through ublock and I only stick to my subscriptions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom