• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we think now that Switch and Wii U are the same generation?

What generation does the Switch belong to?

• 9th generation

Votes: 76 54.3%
  • 8th generation (same as Wii U)

Votes: 64 45.7%

• Total voters

supernova8

Banned
Nintendo basically stopped doing normal generations after Gamecube. That was the last console they had that was comparable to Sony and MS offerings. Everything beyond that is just Nintendo freestyling and it's cool!

Whether you call it a Wii U or a Switch game, BOTW is still one of my favourite games in the last few years by far.

lock2k

Banned
Nintendo basically stopped doing normal generations after Gamecube. That was the last console they had that was comparable to Sony and MS offerings. Everything beyond that is just Nintendo freestyling and it's cool!

Whether you call it a Wii U or a Switch game, BOTW is still one of my favourite games in the last few years by far.
This

Xerazal

Neo Member
Umm yea it is.

The Wii U launched a year before the ps4 and xbox one, all 3 of them are considered 8th generation consoles. It was the successor to the wii, which was a 7th gen console that competed with the ps3 and 360.

If the wii u hadn't done so poorly, the switch probably wouldn't have existed, and if it did exist it would be what we get for a 9th gen console, albeit with beefed up specs.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I went with 9 but would rather have Nintendo with its own generations actually. They go to the beat of their own drum

Xerazal

Neo Member
Of course it is was a new generation. It just wasn’t a next generation.

Wii U released in 2012 and competed with PS360 at first.
It was already dying when PS4/XBone came along.

Switch Released in 2017 and competes with PS4\XBone.

The Nintendo Generations are just shifted a few years is all.

With that logic i guess the 360 is a 6th gen console since it came out a year before the ps3 and wii, and it competed with the ps2 and gamecube before it competed with the ps3 and wii.

Seriously? The Wii U was designed as a replacement for the wii. It was to replace the wii and compete with whatever system sony and ms were to come out with later. It did poorly because of poor marketing. it was an 8th gen console, the same gen as the ps4, xbox one, and yes the switch.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t think there’s a definitive answer. There’s definitely a generational leap between Wii U and Switch, particularly looking at how the streaming tech evolved into a true hybrid, but is the Switch an early entrant in this PS5/Series X generation, or part of the PS4/Xbox One generation?

My honest best answer is an extremely strange, niche case that straddles both. Especially if Switch continues for years to come, as all communication from Nintendo has indicated, and even grabs a few cross-gen ports.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Same generation as the WiiU. It's been 3 and a half years, and it's been competing against the same platforms the WiiU did for most of its life. Can't wait for the Switch Pro/Switch 2 to come out and immediately render this whole thing even more confusing.

Kamina

Golden Boy
With that logic i guess the 360 is a 6th gen console since it came out a year before the ps3 and wii, and it competed with the ps2 and gamecube before it competed with the ps3 and wii.

Seriously? The Wii U was designed as a replacement for the wii. It was to replace the wii and compete with whatever system sony and ms were to come out with later. It did poorly because of poor marketing. it was an 8th gen console, the same gen as the ps4, xbox one, and yes the switch.
Whatever makes you happy

Codes 208

I consider it current gen because the xbox one and PS4 have acted as it’s direct competitors for three years (nearly four once next gen launches)

the Wii U was the start of this gen but unlike the with 360, the year early launch didn’t really help it stay relevant or competitive. Therefore the switch came in as a restart of sorts.

if we get a successor system in two years, yes I would consider that ninth gen.

LordOfChaos

Imo they aborted the Wii U just over halfway into a proper generations lifetime and thus the Switch I would count as among the 8.5 gen consoles.

Discussions on power have no bearing on which generation a Nintendo console belongs in for the last decade and a half.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Man, you guys are morons. Of course the Switch is in the same generation as the Wii U. Don't you see how many Wii U ports it got? How is this even a question?

Same is gonna happen with the Playstation 5, I believe. Since we know PS5 won't have backwards compatibility, there is a high chance it will get tons of PS1 ports, so factually the PS5 will then be a 5th generation console if that happens (even the name is giving it away "Playstation 5").

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its actually been really nice that these games have hit the switch. With that said, it would be nice if they ported the stargox game, but this time without the world's lamest mandatory controls.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I personally think it's 9th generation.

But it also came out at a comparable time with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and those are not considered 9th gen either. So technically, I think maybe we should look at it a little differently.

Nintendo said that Wii was New Generation, with internal hardware that was similar to a Gamecube. Therefore maybe we should classify Switch as New Generation as well. It's the first serious Hybrid system.

Bolivar687

Banned
Wii U had the power of a last generation console, and it sold like one would at that point in the life cycle.

Switch was late to the current gen party, which coincidentally made it attractive to anyone looking for something new.

Last edited:
They aren’t the same gen, but Wii U is 7th gen
Wii U is 8th Gen Wii is 7th Gen why do people keep saying Wii U is 7th gen it goes like this.
N64 5th gen Gamecube 6th Gen Wii 7th Gen Wii U 8th Gen Switch is also 8th Gen.

From Wikipedia about the 8th Gen console so we can stop saying the Wii U is 7th Gen or the Switch is 9th Gen when it not.

The eighth generation of video game consoles primarily includes the home video game consoles of the Wii U released in 2012, the PlayStation 4 family in 2013, and the Xbox One family in 2013; the handheld game consoles of the Nintendo 3DS in 2011, Nintendo 2DS in 2013, and the PlayStation Vita in 2011; as well as the first hybrid game console, the Nintendo Switch in 2017, which played as a handheld but could be docked to played like a home console. Additional microconsoles, including several retro gaming consoles featuring emulated games from past console generations, were also released during this period.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
They should release Nintendoland for free on Switch. Drop is around Christmas or something.

Last edited:

Alandring

For me:

Gen 7 : PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U
Gen 8 : PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch
Gen 9 : PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, next console from Nintendo

For me, the Wii U is the "New 3DS" of the Wii. Backward compatibility, same concept, same controller, same name. It's a Wii that can run PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 games.

The switch is part of the PS4/XO 8th gen, it was the WiiU which was a hybrid and crossed between 7th/8th coming too late in the 360/PS3 cycle but too early and too underpowered to start 8th gen.

Zannegan

I guess it depends on how you're counting generations. Since they've gotten out of sync with the competition, they either started the party three years early or rolled in four years late.

In power, it's more akin to a last-gen console, though with newer features. In sales, it's gone toe-to-toe with current gen boxes for three years. It's certainly Nintendo's next gen successor to the current gen Wii U and 3DS.

In short, weighing all the evidence, IDK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom