• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe and follow the rules of the "etiquette"?

nikolino840

Also called "bon ton"

is the set of conventional rules of personal behaviour in polite society, usually in the form of an ethical code that delineates the expected and accepted social behaviors that accord with the conventions and norms observed by a society, a social class, or a social group. In modern English usage, the French word étiquette (ticket) dates from the year 1750

In the third millennium BC, the Ancient Egyptian vizier Ptahhotep wrote The Maxims of Ptahhotep (2375–2350 BC), a didactic book of precepts extolling civil virtues, such as truthfulness, self-control, and kindness towards other people. Recurrent themes in the maxims include learning by listening to other people, being mindful of the imperfection of human knowledge, and that avoiding open conflict, whenever possible, should not be considered weakness.

In the 19th century, Victorian era (1837–1901) etiquette had developed into a complicated system of codified behaviours, which governed the range of manners in society — from the proper language, style, and method for writing letters, to correctly using cutlery at table, and to the minute regulation of social relations and personal interactions between men and women and among the social classes.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes, when the situation calls for it.

Etiquette is another language to learn, one that can be used to open certain doors (or have them opened for you, politely :lollipop_winking: )

thief183

Well depends on where you live, different places different Etiquette, there are countries where burping during a meal is a sign of resspect...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It really depends. To not be socially offensive, I behave with more etiquette in public. However, if I cut a fart or someone else does...I bust out laughing. It's not my fault...I was raised in a household where farts were considered funny. So, that one immaturity is what separates me from Emily Post.

Top Bottom