• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe Street Fighter V can sell another 1.2 million units to surpass SF2 as Capcoms best selling fighting game?

Can SFV make it and sell enough to dethrone SF2?

• Yes it can!

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The picture below is pretty self-explanatory

pRHPoDz.png

Despite the bad launch and many issues, some of which still persist today, and a mixed reception outside hardcore FGC enthusiasts, after a long sales slump SFV has completely turned around and now has sold 5.2 million units worldwide. However, as close as it is to dethroning Capcoms number one best selling fighting game, the classic Street Fighter 2 on SNES, it's has already come out with multiple editions and has been cheap with numerous deals.

Without a Xbox version, is it possible for Street Fighter V to cover the 1.2 million unit gap and surpass Street Fighter 2 as Capcoms number one selling fighting game of all time??????

I've looked at the market and the prices and the current trends, and while I think SFV has very little change of getting the job done. I seen an LTD of 5.5-5.7 million with some pre-discontinuation fire sales. Maybe Street Fighter 6 with a better launch and a brand refresh may be able to pull it off given how SFV managed to surpass pretty much all of Capcoms other more better received and less broken fighters. It may be a bounce effect from the last two MK games spreading to other fighters (Tekken 7 is even more broken yet sold 7 million) but who knows what got SFV this far.

Also for fun, here is Capcoms top 5 best selling fighting games

1. Street Fighter 2 - 6.3 million
  2. Street Fighter V - 5.2 million
  3. Street Fighter II Turbo - 4.1 million
  4. Street Fighter 4 3.4 million
  5. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 - 2.2 million

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, I believe it can.
EVO can help if it back with success.

Maybe we have more 2 years of SFV.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Where's SFIV on this list? There is no way Marvel 3 sold more than SFIV in the long run.
Well SFIV is way below because the DLCs were sold as a new entry version.

So the userbase (these that ended doing the triple or quad dips were very small... the last SKU sold like 1 million units I believe.

Last edited:

So the userbase (these that ended doing the triple or quad dips were very small... the last SKU sold like 1 million units I believe.
Still, as of June 30, 2019 - SFIV Vanilla sold 3.4m copies (more than Marvel 3). The list that OP posted is not correct.

If you grab all versions of SFIV, it will jump to 9m.

Last edited:

Relique

Whenever they come out with their final edition there will probably be an uptick in sales, especially once discounted

More or less impossible. Nothing is gonna give that game a 1m+ sales boost. Even people who only have a passing interest in the game probably own it already at this point. There won't be any more content after the current batch of characters is released, and the effect of events like Evo was never big enough to push sales to that degree, even before the pandemic.

And of course once SF6 gets announced in a year or two SF5 is gonna be dead in the water anyway.

I think the SFIV expansions fell off pretty hard so it certainly could have.

No SFIV was on the list (though it includes the arcade editon to iirc) the page just loaded poorly so I skipped it. 3.4 million.

Other SFIV stuff

Super Street Fighter IV 1.9 million
Ultra Street Fighter 4 1.5 million

Javthusiast

Banned
Damn, can‘t believe Tekken 7 sold more than 7 mill already, thus being more popluar than the best selling SF title?

SkylineRKR

Damn, can‘t believe Tekken 7 sold more than 7 mill already, thus being more popluar than the best selling SF title?

Yeah but Tekken 7 is being sold on multiple platforms and is kept updated for 4 years straight now. World Warrior was mighty impressive in that it was an exclusive, and Turbo came out a year afterward and was ofcourse a separate release rendering WW useless. Turbo might've been a season pass update today, but sold 4 million copies at full price.

Last edited:
I mean you can say that for Tekken 3, and Tekken 5(maybe) as well. Tekken 7 would be the 2nd time they did it (or third) same as Mortal Kombat.

Tekken 7 had issues just like SFV though, the difference is Tekken didn't have the launch, and arguably has the bigger brand name to support it.

e&e

Banned
I’m confused, how can it beat SF2? I find it hard to believe SF2 only sold 6 million. And SF4 only sold 3 million????

Edit: I just noticed you skipped all the other versions for some reason?

Last edited:
I’m confused, how can it beat SF2? I find it hard to believe SF2 only sold 6 million. And SF4 only sold 3 million????

Edit: I just noticed you skipped all the other versions for some reason?
You do realize that the other games are...other games right? Super Street Fighter IV isn't Vanilla Street Fighter IV, it's a different game.

Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter two turbo, and Super Street Fighter 2 are three different releases. Even Capcom separates the releases.

Also considering the screenshot is directly from Capcoms website I don't see the controversy.

Spacefish

this is kind of a pointless comparison since SFV had only 1 version they continuously updated whereas all prior games were broken up into separate releases. If you add them all together SFV remains far below SF2 and 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom