• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe that the big 3 Xbox games will not have any more delays in 2023? (Starfield, Redfall, Forza)

Will any of the big 3 early AAA games be delayed again in 2023?

• No, all 3 games will release in early 2023 as promised.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • Yes, all 3 games will be delayed from their estimated windows.

Votes: 74 42.0%
  • Yes, Only Forza will be delayed.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Yes, Only Redfall will be delayed.

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Yes, only Starfield will be delayed.

Votes: 44 25.0%

• Total voters

Kagey K

Banned
I’m certain that if Bethesda needed the money still aren’t weren’t backed by MS Starfield would be out now bugs and all, like any number of games released recently in a bad state.
That leaker (can’t remember their name, from reseter) back in the summer said the game was playable from start to finish. Up to 7 months more polish than planned for will definitely have the game ready to be released.
That is a fact, and instead of accepting the delay as a chance to tighten it up, ppl use it as ammo against the companies instead.

The money hungry company that didn't care would have released it this holiday for the revenue.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I could see some move from one quarter to another because of other releases but that’s it, they won’t move to 2024.

I think Starfield will release in September though.

Fredrik

Forze - Q1
Redfall - Q3
Starfield - Q4.

Would be my guess.
Yup that’s my thinking too.
Redfall could possibly arrive late Q2. And I don’t think Starfield was ever meant to come in early 2023, so no actual further delay there, I think they meant Redfall in the delay note when early 2023 was mentioned.

Wait...

Is that all that's slated to release next year for MS?

-Forza is Forza...practically an annual title.

-Redfall? Looks weird and goofy af.

-Starfield? Yeah I get the hype on this. Seems to be unmatched in ambition from either Sony or Nintendo first party. But that's only one game to be hyped for.

MS needs to actually put out titles at some point. They have been glacial.

2 of them are AAA new ips.

I suspect after so many studio purchases, people have unrealistic expectations from XGS.

3 AAA games were released by Sony this year and everyone is basically on the moon about how they are drowning in games.

Bridges

After Halo Infinite got last minute delayed an entire year I'm not confident about anything hitting its date.

More than anything I just hope they're actually ready whenever they do release

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
One option is missing, which I would have selected: one game will release before June 30, and two games will be released after June 30.

Starfield was always H2 2023 in my eyes after the first delay. I think one of Forza or Redfall will release in H1 2023, while the other one will be pushed to early H2.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Microsoft can't win. More than likely 1 or 2 of things should probably be delayed and polished. But will Microsoft or Bethesda have the guts, or will they release the game in a non-finished state and hope for the best? I'm not sure after Halo Infinite, they can afford another unfinished product. The internet pressure is going to kill them either way. Unless they do the unthinkable and actually release something in a complete good state.

Ozriel

M$FT
In the September Forza Monthly, Forza's creative director Dan Greenawalt stated that FM wouldn't enter the polishing phase until "sometime in 2023". That verbiage doesn't bode well for the supposed spring release date. Unless the game starts polishing the first week of January, I find it highly unlikely it will come out in March through June. Polishing usually takes months and usually runs alongside a final phase of bug testing/fixes.

There is no formal stage in game development called ‘polishing’, and certainly not one you can benchmark as requiring multiple months.

Yup that’s my thinking too.
Redfall could possibly arrive late Q2. And I don’t think Starfield was ever meant to come in early 2023, so no actual further delay there, I think they meant Redfall in the delay note when early 2023 was mentioned.

Starfield and Redfall were shown off at E3 as games expected to come before end H1 2023, so it’s inaccurate to say it wasn’t meant to come in H1.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If MS wanted better performance they wouldn't have made the XSS
I'm talking about in relation to what they originally promised, next gen games just in lower resolutions

They've had to make more concessions than that even in crossgen games

Last edited:
I think starfield will get pushed to holiday 2023. Not only will it need it but Microsoft will also want a big game during that period.

Fredrik

2 of them are AAA new ips.

I suspect after so many studio purchases, people have unrealistic expectations from XGS.

3 AAA games were released by Sony this year and everyone is basically on the moon about how they are drowning in games.
January - Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PS5
February - Horizon Forbidden West
(February - Sifu)
March - Gran Turismo 7
(March - Ghostwire Tokyo)
April - MLB The Show
June - Playstation Plus Extra/Premium Launch
(July - Stray)
September - The Last of Us Part 1
November - God of War Ragnarök

Drowning might be an exaggeration but for me it’s been a fantastic year on PS5. I list the PS+ launch here too because I don’t think I’m the only one who jumped in for the first time on some earlier releases. Try to remember the feeling when Gamepass launched, that’s the feeling on Playstation this year.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
(February - Sifu)
March - Gran Turismo 7
April - MLB The Show
(July - Stray)

Drowning might be an exaggeration but for me it’s been a fantastic year on PS5. I list the PS+ launch here too because I don’t think I’m the only one who jumped in for the first time on some earlier releases.
Its a good thing they have fans willing to buy the sane game over and over.

Seems sparse when you eliminate them.

Fredrik

Just listing the output, 3 games is not correct unless there are some special rules applied.
And like I said I think the PS+ launch is contributing a lot to the feeling of drowning in games, most people don’t buy all games and Sony had a whole bunch of big titles there at the launch of the service. As I said try to remember how it felt when Gamepass launched, that happened this year on PS5.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

its funny how mlb the show counts but when people were praising forza horizon 5 they were like "its just another forza , what does it do different , racing games is a niche genre that nobody plays anymore "
2 big games in 12 months is not amazing

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
These can't be the only M big games this year, right?
Probably not big but I’m looking forward to AoE II and Minecraft Legends. I’ll try AoE IV too.

Out of all of the announced games w/ no release dates, I could only see Hellblade as a possible release in 2023.

begotten

Are these actually the Big 3 games of Xbox currently or just of 2023?

On topic, Forza will definitely be brought forward and the other 2 "delayed"

i think they will all out be out next year. starfield most likely will not be delayed again. don't know or care about redfall. forza might come later in the year we've still not seen much of it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Probably not big but I’m looking forward to AoE II and Minecraft Legends. I’ll try AoE IV too.

Out of all of the announced games w/ no release dates, I could only see Hellblade as a possible release in 2023.
I don't care for neither of those (and forza), let's hope for hellblade 2 (even if the first game was meh).

It looks like another bleak year for me, Microsoft games wise, let's see if sony can do worse than that.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Microsoft can't win. More than likely 1 or 2 of things should probably be delayed and polished. But will Microsoft or Bethesda have the guts, or will they release the game in a non-finished state and hope for the best? I'm not sure after Halo Infinite, they can afford another unfinished product. The internet pressure is going to kill them either way. Unless they do the unthinkable and actually release something in a complete good state.

They certainly didn’t lack the guts to delay Starfield and Redfall for polish

I think MS are having issues with optimizing games for the Xbox Series S

I think they want better performance on it and that optimization is pushing their release dates back

Why would they be having issues optimizing for Series S that no other devs are having ?

Ozriel

M$FT
Yep, mentioned first half 2023 for both games.

I think he’s saying that the general interpretation of ‘early 2023’ would be the first few months of 2023.

I’d be hard pressed to describe April - June as ‘early in the year’.

Elios83

It also depends on what's scheduled for the second half of 2023.
Xbox is a seasonal brand and they usually focus on the holiday season.
As proved by Halo Infinite they're not going to miss the holiday season with a big game unless they're pretty much forced to and it's not just for a bit of extra polish.
With Starfield the possibility that it is delayed to become their 2023 big holiday title are really high, the game also looked rough at E3 with enemies almost not reacting to bullets and that was a scripted/controlled demo...but we'll see.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They certainly didn’t lack the guts to delay Starfield and Redfall for polish

Why would they be having issues optimizing for Series S that no other devs are having ?
I think there's a big problem behind the scenes with Xbox Series S optimization, Digital Foundry said they heard some things and then there was that journalist

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How can 3 games with no release dates be delayed? Do you mean into 2024? That would suck, but as long as they are 2023 games I'm more than happy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How can 3 games with no release dates be delayed? Do you mean into 2024? That would suck, but as long as they are 2023 games I'm more than happy.
All 3 are officially slated to release in the first half of 2023. OP is asking if any of those would be pushed to the second half of 2023 (or beyond that).

drganon

I could see starfield getting delayed. Hopefully not though, it's the only game out of three listed I have any interest in.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All 3 are officially slated to release in the first half of 2023. OP is asking if any of those would be pushed to the second half of 2023 (or beyond that).

Oh ok, didn't know all three were first half of the year.

Yeah I think something will miss first half. Forza will probs be September.

If ms don't have some big surprise for Xmas they maybe push starfield back. I could see them delaying starfield because of the ABK purchase.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Wait...

Is that all that's slated to release next year for MS?

-Forza is Forza...practically an annual title.

-Redfall? Looks weird and goofy af.

-Starfield? Yeah I get the hype on this. Seems to be unmatched in ambition from either Sony or Nintendo first party. But that's only one game to be hyped for.

MS needs to actually put out titles at some point. They have been glacial.
I dont think that 3 big new games is a bad year for them at all, its certainly better than what this year and 2020 were.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep, mentioned first half 2023 for both games.

Should have just said delayed to "next year".

I dont recall them giving specific dates, but perhaps we should wait for the next game showcase

First half of 2023 means no later than July 1.

I dont think that 3 big new games is a bad year for them at all, its certainly better than what this year and 2020 were.

Looks to be an excellent year from where I stand. Starfield is highly anticipated.

Last edited:
(February - Sifu)
March - Gran Turismo 7
April - MLB The Show
(July - Stray)

Drowning might be an exaggeration but for me it’s been a fantastic year on PS5. I list the PS+ launch here too because I don’t think I’m the only one who jumped in for the first time on some earlier releases. Try to remember the feeling when Gamepass launched, that’s the feeling on Playstation this year.

So basically 3 AAA + some AAs + some remasters + Ghostwire.

MS killed it with AA games this year. No reason to think why it would be different next year.

They would only be missing remasters next year, which I am totally fine with.

I don't want want them remaking Halo Master Chief Collection using latest animations and character model for fuck knows what reason.

MOTM

Banned
I think MS are having issues with optimizing games for the Xbox Series S

I think they want better performance on it and that optimization is pushing their release dates back
i think you should ask for a refund wherever you got your game dev degree from.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guessing they release 1 each in Spring, Summer and Fall.

That makes sense.

But they really need to put dates on them at least.

Deathloop, we know was announced and released on Xbox in a weeks time for a very different reason, but these games don't have that problem. They need release windows.

onesvenus

If they do delay games in 2023, there's a certain set of sycophants on social media that will damage control or push the "Wait Till" narrative.
That's true but what I'd like to see is what will you do/say if those games are not delayed. Love some fanboy tears

Top Bottom