• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you call the "X" button on Dualshocks the "Cross Button" or "Ecks Buttons"?

webrunner

The X button on a PS controller is called the "XBox Guide Button"
The big X on an XBOX controller is called the "X button"
The smaller X button on an Xbox controller is called "Cross"
On a nintendo controller, the X is called "Wonky plus"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One of my friends called it the cross button once and I was momentarily shocked and confused that it could have ever been interpreted that way.

I say "Ecks", even though I have long-ago conceded that as all the other face buttons are shapes, it should be Cross.

It has an X it so I call it ECKS.

Why would I call it cross?

gafcollection_animalxing.png

If you've ever seen signs like these, the "Xing" is meant to signify a CROSS-ing

Man, I guess religion invented maths?

It's the Cross button. It is not an X.

You can call it the X button, but seriously a cross is NOT a vertical and horizontal line. A cross is literally any two lines which overlap.

Not everyone in the world uses Latin-based languages, either, so it is a cross and the other buttons are also geometric in nature.

Also, I tend to call it X button, but it's annoying how ignorant some people here are that a cross MUST be the vertical and horizontal. Might as well call a religious cross an irregular plus sign.

Kinsei

Banned
Ecks

All of the other console controllers use Ecks and I'm not going to change what I say just for Sony consoles.

Zafir

Ecks/Ex.

I played other consoles before I played a playstation in which the buttons were based on letters not symbols. So saying it like the letter kind of just carried over.

I pronounce it Ecks, but we've had this thread before awhile back. It's officially the Cross button.

Also,

XMB on PS3 stands for Xross Media Bar

It's "cross".

One simple reason, the controller is under geometric context, you have a circle, square, and triangle and the metaphorical name for X shape which is a diagonal cross is also just called "cross".

That's the correct way, but not necessarily the way most people say it.

tsab

╳ = Χι
⃝ = Κύκλος or Όμικρον
△ = Τρίγωνο or Δέλτα
⃤ = Τετράγωνο

Εεεεεεέτσι

It's ex, just like 'gif' should always be said with a hard G, as in 'gi-ve'. Anyone who pronounces these otherwise is probably a serial killer.

Hesh

I say "ex". It doesn't look like a cross to me, I think of a cross like the Christian/Catholic cross, which stands up vertically, so the X on PlayStation controllers doesn't even register as a cross in my mind unless someone points it out.

Also, I once knew a kid that called the Square button the "Box" button.

Top Bottom