• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you call the "X" button on Dualshocks the "Cross Button" or "Ecks Buttons"?

dumbo

I seem to remember someone saying that the 4 shapes are supposed to represent the number of lines used..
Circle = 1
Cross/X = 2
Triangle = 3
Square = 4

In which case, the simplest answer is 2?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I call it the X button like 99.99% of people do, but I get that it's officially the "cross" button so it fits in with the other shapes.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ecks. In almost 20 years of working in the game industry I have never once heard anyone in said industry call it anything other than "the ecks button." Cross is ridiculous, and the "they're all shapes" thing is like some unconvincing retcon from a Marvel comic.

xyzls

Its "ex".

A cross is a horizontal and vertical line, normally.
When you tell someone to draw a cross + is what they should be thinking.
When you tilt that 45 degrees, its an ex.
When you search video game titles with the word CROSS in their title, a majority of them will have + instead of x because x is EX.

Please don't mix things people!! It confuses the hell out of communication!!!@#$

Thud

The button itself is the cross (or 'kruisje' in Dutch), but during tutorials and such I would call it the X (the letter) button.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sure. But the context of the buttons does not obviously call for cross.

a) the symbol it is meant to invoke is called either a cross or an ex among further names

b) it is used (in design) in tandem with a confirm symbol not in use in the western world

c) it isn't even used (in most games in western releases) in a way consistent with that symbolism in any case

And then the "shapes" context is also imperfect:

Crossing lines aren't a shape. They encompass no area. You can't have a shape bound by two lines in Euclidean geometry.

It doesn't "fit" the circle, triangle, square paradigm cleanly as a cross.

And then the context of video game controllers says to a lot of people:

X

So unless you see it as the cross mark/x mark and call that thing cross, which people do, context tends to speak to x just fine. And even if you see it as that mark, people can and do call that mark x.

1. It is clear that people can get the idea to call it X, but on the discussion which is right, it is important to consider the intention more than the context the consumer may see the symbol in.
2. The shape argument is semantical and quite dishonest. When people say "shape" they obviously did not mean this in the mathematical way, but as another word for a simple (meaning: Composed of only few lines with a uniform curvature) geometric figure.

Nosgoroth

en_US: Ecks circle square triangle; dee-pad, left stick, right stick; start, select.
es_ES: Equis círculo cuadrado triángulo; cruceta, stick derecho, stick izquierdo; start, select.

Up up down down left right left right bee a start.
Arriba arriba abajo abajo izquierda derecha izquierda derecha bé ah start.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Its "ex".

A cross is a horizontal and vertical line, normally.
When you tell someone to draw a cross + is what they should be thinking.
When you tilt that 45 degrees, its an ex.
When you search video game titles with the word CROSS in their title, a majority of them will have + instead of x because x is EX.

Please don't mix things people!! It confuses the hell out of communication!!!@#$

No, a cross can be diagonal. Ever heard of the cross product? Know what the sign is for that? Or just the multiplication sign on a calculator for that matter. It's ×. That's not an X. X is a letter.

Ecks marks the spot

....Ecks...

X as in the letter.

Ecks since the first ones to use it (Nintendo) where letter based (ABXY)

What the hell is "ecks"?

Just say ex, and yes I call it ex.

Ecks, only heard it called cross once in my lifetime...well now twice.

Ecks. I had never heard of "X" being said as "Cross" until Project X Zone.

Ecks.

It's cross in Japan afaik but I wonder if it's different anywhere else as well.

Eek

ex

Thanks Gaf... faith in humanity restored.

ash_ag

╳ = Χι
⃝ = Κύκλος or Όμικρον
△ = Τρίγωνο or Δέλτα
⃤ = Τετράγωνο

en_US: Ecks circle square triangle; dee-pad, left stick, right stick; start, select.
es_ES: Equis círculo cuadrado triángulo; cruceta, stick derecho, stick izquierdo; start, select.

Up up down down left right left right bee a start.
Arriba arriba abajo abajo izquierda derecha izquierda derecha bé ah start.

Not anymore, son ;-)

Thud

╳ = Χι
⃝ = Κύκλος or Όμικρον
△ = Τρίγωνο or Δέλτα
⃤ = Τετράγωνο

The hero we don't deserve.

No it's an even distribution of shapes and letters. Square and triangle. X and O.
It is a circle, not an o.

And it was ignored before but the instructions for installing a PS3 theme:
Download this theme to customise the PlayStation®3 XMB™ Menu's background and icons.

To apply the downloaded theme:
1) Choose Settings on the PlayStation®3 XMB™ Menu and select the Theme Settings option.
2) Press the CROSS button to display the Theme Menu, then press the CROSS button again to display a list of available themes.
3) Scroll to the desired theme and select Apply.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...yStation Store save up to 70%::Battlefield 3"
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...yStation Store save up to 70%::Battlefield 3"

Considering the other 3 buttons are symbols, I always called it cross

The funny thing is that it's used in the West for confirmation while in Japan it's used to cancel

I still do wrong every time I play Outrun 2006 on my jpn PSP :D

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
It's the X (ecks) button because this is a cross
Cross-Easter.jpg

I can understand people calling it Cross, as that's a shape and the other three buttons are shapes. However I've always called it X as in the letter.

Top Bottom