• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you call the "X" button on Dualshocks the "Cross Button" or "Ecks Buttons"?

Ricker

I say "ex". It doesn't look like a cross to me, I think of a cross like the Christian/Catholic cross, which stands up vertically, so the X on PlayStation controllers doesn't even register as a cross in my mind unless someone points it out.

Also, I once knew a kid that called the Square button the "Box" button.

lol... the box,the pyramid and the black hole buttons... ;)

Dinjooh

I don't think there is a single person in the world who calls it cross button.

Never heard anyone say otherwise in Denmark, but then again we use a wholly different word for a typical cross (the religious symbol)

Kryds = Cross (shape)
Kors = Cross (religious symbol)

Lol, what? People actually call it "cross"?
Yeah, people like Sony for instance.

Lw8qFmk.png

Peltz

I was playing Catherine and they refer to it as the "Cross" button in game. That was the first time I've ever heard that.

Coincidentally, Xenoblade Cfronicles X is also pronounced by the producer as "Xenoblade Chronicles Cross".

Neither of these things feels intuitive to me though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It doesn't. It goes with o.

2 lettera and 2 shapes.

It is not an "o" either though, because an "o" is not circular, but slightly oval. The thing on the dual shock is round, though.

Also, if we are on the topic of how we call it among friends or internally to understand the button position, I always read the buttons to myself and a good friend (to all others I just take the actual names and this means cross for the cross-button on PS) as:

Cross: A
Square: B
Circle: X
Triangle: Y

Also, on Xbox / Saturn / Dreamcast controllers:
A: A
X: B
B: X
Y: Y

And on Nintendo controllers outside the GameCube and N64 one:
B: A
Y: B
A: X
X: Y

Because this is the only right way to name those buttons, just that all the companies are too crazy to see the light.

mrk8885

Banned
Sony has always called it "cross". Also all of the buttons are shapes and not letters.

I'm gonna keep saying X, but this IS zone of those cases where most people are wrong.

XandBosch

Yeah, people like Sony for instance.

Lw8qFmk.png

Probably goes back to when they were annoyed with Nintendo and made the original Playstation and wanted an "X" button but didn't want to be like Nintendo or some dumb shit like that.

Doesn't make it right, though. It's "ex" and we all know it. Hell, I'm sure most if not all Sony employees call it that in everyday discussions too lol.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
What? Its obviously X
Only it isn't.

It's a symbol not a letter.

We only see it as an X instead because our brains are better at language recognition than pictures so defaults to the more recognisable when identifying it.

In Japan, the usage of Latin script is of course not in the language, so they'll call it Cross by default. Sony do too, because Square, Circle, Triangle, letter X makes no fucking sense.

I still call it X though so oops.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ecks

Mostly because every other controller that has an "X" was called "ecks", so it just kinda stuck.

Caronte

It is not an "o" either though, because an "o" is not circular, but slightly oval. The thing on the dual shock is round, though.

Also, if we are on the topic of how we call it among friends or internally to understand the button position, I always read the buttons to myself and a good friend (to all others I just take the actual names and this means cross for the cross-button on PS) as:

Cross: A
Square: B
Circle: X
Triangle: Y

Also, on Xbox / Saturn / Dreamcast controllers:
A: A
X: B
B: X
Y: Y

And on Nintendo controllers outside the GameCube and N64 one:
B: A
Y: B
A: X
X: Y

Because this is the only right way to name those buttons, just that all the companies are too crazy to see the light.

Isn't B the button you press on Nintendo consoles to go back? Wouldn't that be Circle/B(xbox)?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Everyone who says X is objectively wrong. This is not an opinion, it's fact. It may be easier to say, but it's wrong.

Isn't B the button you press on Nintendo consoles to go back? Wouldn't that be Circle/B(xbox)?

It is B, but the button is in the same location as Cross/B (bottom). The A button is on the right. Makes it a bit confusing to go between Switch and PS4, because the accept/back button positions are swapped.

khaaan

I've always pronounced it like the letter x. Don't most games that have voice acting and describe the controls also pronounce it that way?

It's s not an ex because the O isn't a letter either. Why would they have 2 symbols and 2 letters as buttons?

You have a square, a circle, a triangle amd a cross.

Fucking deal with it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Nobody has ever said "tap cross, tap cross" in the history of ps.

ECKS FOR LIFE!

And dude above me, no one has called circle "O" dude.

Cross is supposed to be cross but people call it Ecks

Macka

It's the 'ten' button.

ex

It's s not an ex because the O isn't a letter either. Why would they have 2 symbols and 2 letters as buttons?

You have a square, a circle, a triangle amd a cross.

Fucking deal with it.
They're just symbols. An 'X' is as much a symbol as a square or triangle.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Yes, Nintendo does it wrong. The primary button is the lower one, as evident by their own control choices (jumping in platformers) and the primary button should be confirm. Also it should be named "A" or maybe "1", certainly not "B".

depths20XX

It's like the gif fiasco. No one gives a shit what the creators intended it to be. It's the ecks button by law of majority.

borges

Banned
Ecks ;)

Its incredible how powerful are the playstation buttons schema. Last playstation I owned was 2 (then all Xbox), but I still keep calling Y as triangle, and B as Circle.

Blam

Cross if I'm talking to someone who doesn't know how to use a DS4 since most games actually call it the cross and that's it's official name but I usually call it ecks.

Top Bottom