• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Minecraft to be within the top 10 games of all time?

Bragr

Banned
Minecraft is the biggest game in the history of video games.

I have always considered it one of the greatest games ever made, but I rarely see it in the top tens from the average hardcore gamer.

There are things about Minecraft that no other game can match.
- Since everything is made of blocks, everything can be removed and created anew, every single part of the whole world is interactive and provides 100% creative control.
- One of the smart things about Minecraft is the size of the blocks, since they are relatively big, they are easy to hit and place, making reshaping the world fast and accurate.
- The core of the game (harvest, mine, craft) is so fine-tuned that it doesn't need sequels, it doesn't get outdated, it's like Tetris or Pacman, it hit upon a style of play that is hard to improve or change without breaking the game.
- Its concept of lego and building blocks appeals to how children learn the world. Minecraft is constantly recreating and building its audience as a play/learning tool for kids.

Where do you think Minecraft fits within the halls of video game greatness?

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Nah
nNMD8FG.gif

That's gonna be a no from me dawg.

The longest I made it was about 30 minutes, and I've tried to play it 3x. I hated it. I thought Dragon Quest Builders was the infinitely superior game. I'm sure the game can be argued for a top 10 spot because of it's insane popularity, cultural impact, and crazy sales and persistent player base - but I personally think the game is not fun. I've seen some of the crazy creations people make, and that's cool to watch for a bit I guess. Seems like more of an open ended and incomplete level creation tool rather than a real game, but I guess that's the point.

It popularized the battlepass. I don't like the game but it is influential.
I'm so out of touch that I still don't understand what a battlepass is or the appeal of it. When I see people complaining that they don't want to play a game anymore because they can't unlock stuff it doesn't resonate with me at all. The only reason why I'll play any multiplayer game is if I like the game itself, I couldn't care less for cosmetics and I would pay to not have that in the games I like.

I also had a hard time understanding how it worked on Dota2 and it made very little sense to me once I figured it out. Seemed like a big waste of time.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
It’s like COD.

I understand why it’s popular and how much impact it had on the games we have today.

Doesn’t mean it’s top 10.

Topher

Gold Member
Wouldn't even make my top 100, but then it's not really a game for me yet I can still see its importance to understand others that do

That's kind of where I am. I played a few hours with my kids years ago, but outside of that, I have no desire to play it again. But my sons still love the game to this day. I can't say that about many games out there so seeing the impact of the game here in my own home is a bit difficult to dismiss.

Kind of amazed at the responses. But yes, it's the only open-world game where I can build literally anything and destroy literally anything that you can control at your own pace. Not only this but it has a massive following, so yes. It's probably one the best and most influential games of our time.

Last edited:

kevm3

Nah.
I will give Minecraft the nods for really creating/popularizing that world building genre with that blocky look, but I don't feel like it's the best game in it's genre. Dragon Quest Builders 2 is way better, although ignored. DQB2 actually has NPCs coming to the town you build and they actually use the structures you build and help you fight, farm, build, etc. DQB2 is one of the best games of the generation and possibly all time

Deerock71

Nah.
I will give Minecraft the nods for really creating/popularizing that world building genre with that blocky look, but I don't feel like it's the best game in it's genre. Dragon Quest Builders 2 is way better, although ignored. DQB2 actually has NPCs coming to the town you build and they actually use the structures you build and help you fight, farm, build, etc. DQB2 is one of the best games of the generation and possibly all time
My kid loved DQB 2, but it's foundation is purely CEMENTED in Minecraft.

But make no mistake, neither interested me much.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it obviously is one of the biggest games of all time but for me i don't have much interest in it. i played it years ago (pre MS) and it was fun for a few hours building random shit but that's it. not really my thing.

PhaseJump

Banned
Nah.

chip-and-dale-laugh-gif.gif

DQB2 is a retarded Harvest Moon clone that is heavily scripted, pretending to be a traditional Japanese action RPG. It buries you in tasks like growing 10x of one thing or another to fulfill a blueprint in between Disney-channel tier dialog and plot. Minecraft is more of an open world tool kit and survival game that is accessible to anybody.

Fredrik

I mean it’s essentially digital LEGO and physical LEGO is quite possibly the best toy ever created, makes sense to have Minecraft on top 10 in gaming.

I used to go out on adventures with my kids watching and build unique house everywhere I had to sleep, couple hundred hours total.
Now I’m constantly in awe of the creations the kids are making and has trouble pulling them away from the game when they’re out adventuring together. I’m planning to jump in again myself once the next update is out with the warden, I’ve never actually finished it, would be interesting to try that.

elliot5

Of course. I don’t love Minecraft but from an overall cultural phenomenon perspective it absolutely is up there somewhere alongside Tetris and Pac Man and Mario

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
As a parent, I would have to say yes. It’s a genius sandbox game with building, PvE, and online; the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. My kids spent a lot of hours making all kinds of stuff and playing with friends. The ability to mod is what got one of my sons interested in programming (currently in engineering).

I think it should be to sandbox games what Doom is to FPSes. And thank God Notch was smart enough to make multiplatform part of the contract, so it’s still on PS.

ethomaz

Banned
IMO it is garbage.
But some garbage things have success and Minecraft had it with the same crowd that likes TikTok and Robox today.

KellyNole

I think it is too polarizing to be a top 10 game. Most top 10 games have a much smaller percentage of people who are negative towards them. It is one of my favorite games and I would put it in my top 10. After over a decade of playing it, I come back ever so often and just enjoy building, exploring, surviving, and playing with friends. It is one of those games if it clicks with you, you will lose hours very quickly.

Fbh

It terms of overall relevance, staying power and influence, sure.

For me personally? nah

alienator

I tried it when it was not populair at all... thinking, who on earth will play this longer than an hour and not get ffin bored

well millions of people apperantly. but i still dont think its a game.. or atleast, its a game for people who dont play real vidiagaemes!

_Ex_

From a cultural phenomena perspective regarding this medium, sure.

From a game I personally ever gave even a sliver of an ounce of a damn about, no.

Top Bottom