• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Minecraft to be within the top 10 games of all time?

wOs

For me not top 10, yet I recognize that its place in history is huge and the flexibility is crazy past the base.

Roxkis_ii

Lol minecraft is definitely an influential game, but it wouldn't be in my top 10.

I'm in my 30`s so maybe minecraft wasn't as influential in my gaming life as it may be for younger folks.

GametimeUK

I can definitely see why it would be in someone's top 10. I mean it's all subjective at the end of the day, but Minecraft is such a fun game with interesting mechanics and depth. It's also a great tool to get creative with. The block aesthetic and characters etc are so iconic. Honestly I think it's a very special game indeed.

Shifty

Biggest and Toppest aren't the same thing, so no.

That it broke big with virtual legos is undeniable, but mechanically speaking it's no great shakes. It's a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none in terms of things like combat, survival mechanics, and anything else that isn't building.

In terms of revenue? Absolutely

In terms of what I'd consider being among best games made? Absolutely not.

I don't care all that much how much money a game makes, it's more about the creativity, sense of world and story, visuals, game mechanics...how all of that merges together into a whole product that shapes what games are the best out there to me.

I can respect Minecraft for what it does for its audience, and the amount of revenue it's generated...but it'll never find a place in my Top 20, or even Top 50 tbh. But I'm sure there's a 10-year old kid out there who's a Minecraft fiend that would rank it much differently.

Minecraft is definitely one of my all-time favorites, but it can't crack the top 10 for me personally.

I don't know why some mock the game. It's probably because it became a phenomenon with younger gamers, but that doesn't negate its appeal to more seasoned players. It's incredible imho, and I've been gaming since pre Atari VCS.

Bartski

Gold Member
I see why it appeals to kids and nothing but respect for the numbers, it definitely works. Nothing there for me tho.

The_hunter

I've had it since beta, but didn't "get it". Only last year played it to completion and defeated the ender dragon. It's an incredible survival rpg. They recently redid the ocean, nether and caves and cliffs. I'd say it's in the top 10 easily.

Rykan

No, and I don't understand its mass appeal. I can't imagine how anyone can be entertained by it for longer than a couple of hours.

Vandole

Depends on the criteria. From the standpoint of popularity and cultural impact, there are maybe three other games would be it's equal. Even from a developmental standpoint, the way the game has been supported for a decade with updates and multiplatform releases, as opposed to sequels has been a major influence is also had a very important impact.

On a personal level, I've enjoyed playing it, but it's not on my top 10 or even top 20. It's a great relaxing game that I'll continue to drop a few hours in every once in a blue moon, but I prefer either more action or more narrative so it's just not my thing. But it has been fun watching my son play it over the past 9 years, so I I guess it's even important to me in another way as well.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Holammer

I see a lot of goddamned fools disagreeing.
It's one of the more innovative games in recent times and up there with Space Invaders & Pacman when it comes to introducing new gameplay mechanics.

EnviousFlickeringAntelopegroundsquirrel.webp

(this, but unironically)

Daytonabot

Banned
One of the most important games ever made? Easily. Top 3. It’s a culture phenomenon on so many levels for generations.
I suspect you're too young to have historical context for that claim. Pong, Pac-Man, and Mario are all more important, and those all came by 1985, let alone the ~30-years in-between. When Minecraft swag is still in Target in 2050, we can talk.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nah, always thought Terraria was the better game.

Banned
Minecraft is a really good game, I would put it in the top 20 for sure, top 10... maybe... it's hard to make a top 10 of all time list imo

JLB

Banned
Hell no, all you do is stack blocks. That’s like asking if angry birds is one of the greatest games of all time.

Doom? Nah, all you do is to shot demons.
Dark Souls? Nah, all you do is to die.
Mario? Nah, all you do is to jump and get high with mushrooms.
Diablo? Nah, all you do is to get carpal tunnel syndrome after a few sessions.

Last edited:
I love Minecraft for what it is, but if you're judging by sales numbers Justin Bieber is one of the most talented musicians in history.

Ceadeus

Yeah, I think it's a brilliant game on so many levels.

It blends building, creativity, survival, exploration, character progression and multiplayer but in a very welcoming way. The sound effects are recognizable and memorable.

There's not much to criticize in Minecraft and there are reason why developers have been inspired by this game for years now.

Based on my time with it, it didn't gel with me so far personally. It seems like a more important game in a general sense than in a personal tastes sense

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not sure if I'd put it in my top 10, but it's be amongst the top games overall. I used to play it a ton when I was younger.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yes, if for no other reason than bringing this genre of gameplay (heavily invested in imagination and open-world building) to the fore.

Top Bottom