• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Minecraft to be within the top 10 games of all time?

kevm3

chip-and-dale-laugh-gif.gif

DQB2 is a retarded Harvest Moon clone that is heavily scripted, pretending to be a traditional Japanese action RPG. It buries you in tasks like growing 10x of one thing or another to fulfill a blueprint in between Disney-channel tier dialog and plot. Minecraft is more of an open world tool kit and survival game that is accessible to anybody.
Whether it's 'scripted' or not, at least you have fellow townmembers and they at least interact with the world instead of being typical walking signposts. DQB2 is nowhere near a 'harvest moon clone' since you only have to farm in one level. In other levels you are tasked with many other interesting things such as building a railroad system or building up a castle's defense. Disney channel tier dialog? That's still better than Minecraft, which has no real dialog or story.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sport games are big part of the gaming industry but do I care about it? fuck no! same story with Minecraft or Fortnite.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I don't enjoy it all that much but I definitely do consider it one of the best. Regardless of my opinion on the gameplay, it's beyond debate how much of an impact it's had on gaming in general, and I think it's been incredibly instrumental in my daughter's development in terms of creativity and self expression.

Aenima

Not even in my top 100.
But if i had kids, i would put them playing Minecraft. Its the Lego of videogames and great to stimulate criativity.
Its a great sandbox.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
For me personally, hell no lol.

But you can't deny the impact and significance of it overall. So I guess it depends on what your metrics are for qualifying.

It wouldnt get a whiff of my personal top 10, but I can totally understand why it would be considered in general.

Merkades

It probably is if I remove my biases. I have never played Minecraft and I have no real interest in it, so it would not make top 100, or possibly top 1000 for me personally. Also applies to GTA, Fortnite, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, BOTW, anything mobile or F2P, most of CoD (campaigns weren't bad on the four I got from PS+) and who knows how many more.

I do think some people have built pretty impressive structures in Minecraft. Still did not make me want to play it.

For me personally no thanks. For the wider influence on younger kids then hell yes. A fairly common flow from kids maturing with Minecraft is -
  1. Play Minecraft on whatever device they have.
  2. Join their friends across devices or platforms.
  3. Solo kids or family can create worlds and really have fun creatively or survival style.
  4. Social interaction is largely innocent (talking of IRL friends playing together initially) and they run the full gamut of what's mine is mine, then sharing, then collaborating, then battling etc.
  5. Resources management and planning, some of what is created or learnt via tutorials is pretty in depth e.g. triggers, traps, machines, automation etc.
  6. Many want to move on to PC based Minecraft, as my son did, and learn about mods, config, basic coding etc. In turn this can lead them to understand servers, marketplaces, dangers, security etc.
  7. Feedback loop as many build, share, fail, receive and give critique all generally unfiltered and direct.
  8. As on onramp to gaming, social aspects and the inspiration surrounding creativity and creating games/mods it's largely unchallenged on such a scale.
  9. It runs on just about anything and is extremely accessible.
  10. Imagination. Real time interactive digital lego without parents having to step on left behind blocks in the middle of the night.

I think Minecraft is always going to be talked about as a milestone game. But personally I couldn't get into it at all - probably didn't help that I was playing the Vita version.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Absolutely. It still is one of the most popular games and launched the survival genre.

It's the creativity that sets it apart though.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Earlier versions of the game (circa 2011-2014) were a masterpiece, but now it's sort of a mess due to all the fluff they've added to the game.

Yes, in the same way that Legos are one of the greatest toy brands of all time. Just because it doesn't subscribe to traditional definitions of what "playing" is doesn't mean its not a fantastic product.

I'd say the top 10 games of all time all involve accessibility and depth:

Tetris, Street Fighter 2, Doom, Civilization, Crono Trigger, Mario, Tony Hawk, Minecraft, etc.

100% yes. The game is incredible. Conceptually its unique, you can mod the shit out of it, and just fun online and offline. I have my own world that me and my children play in. It's fun together, but when I'm working ill just jump into it and be blown away by what they've accomplished. And then when I get home they'll explain everything they did and we'll look at it together. It has undoubtable carved its own space in the gaming zeitgeist.

Tams

Gold Member
As a game? Absolutely. It is, after all, just digital building blocks (comparison of your choice, but the only correct one is LEGO).

Story wise? Eh. The world (aesthetics and characters) that's been built is very good though.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Me personally? no.

In general yeah Minecraft is big and it sadly affected gaming negatively more than positively.
I agree: not in my personal top 10. But I could easily see younger generations than mine putting it in their top 10.

How do you think it affected gaming negatively?

Last edited:

yurinka

One of the most successful games? Yes.

One of my favorite ones? No, I don't like it at all. I think it's bad and boring. I've beem playing games since the mid 80s and loved and liked hundreds, maybe over a thousand games. But his isn't one of them.

I don't get why it became so popular.

Last edited:

Keihart

Totally.
great game.
People that associate Minecraft with a kids game were really out of the loop with games at the time it released, the game was anything but casual or aimed at kids.
Watching the internet discover recipes and stuff was really marvelous, there was no wiki or manual to the game beyond the basic mechanics, and everthing was discovered as the game got updated for years.
Cool shit.

Last edited:

The_hunter

If you don't get why Minecraft is such a great survival RPG, I recommend checking out Terraria first, it's like Minecraft with more of a guided rpg focus, and is a great introduction to the genre.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I suspect you're too young to have historical context for that claim. Pong, Pac-Man, and Mario are all more important, and those all came by 1985, let alone the ~30-years in-between. When Minecraft swag is still in Target in 2050, we can talk.

You suspect wrong, I've been here around since the rise of video games. All more important in what sense? Being first? Being more important to a generation (pacman)? Are Pong & Pacman relevant today at all after 30 years? No. Minecraft will have decades longer legs then either of these titles and it's easily to see why as dumb as the term lego on pc is its the simple truth... and we only need to look at the staying power of the physical bricks, Minecraft as a title has already touched far more people and generations. I wouldn't be surprised if its sold more copies then even the main stay Mario titles across all generations at this point.

'Important' means different things for different people and I just can't see it going anywhere. It's still the most accessible and friendly game at this point that every kid cuts their teeth on when old enough to finally want to 'play games'

pasterpl

Nope. Gave it a fair try and it didnt anything for me. Found it tedious and boring. Maybe I am simply too old for this type of games, my 8 yo nephew loves it.

CeeJay

Not sure about top 10 for me but it's certainly up there. It's a game that I have sunk a ton of hours into and know that some day I will revisit and sink a load more in. There is something so relaxing about traveling light across the land simply to explore and see the sights. Not every game has to be a hardcore experience with defined progression and Minecraft is really one of the greatest if not the greatest open world sandbox ever. Name a more flexible, wide ranging and better rounded sandbox than Minecraft that isn't influenced by Minecraft?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's probably number 1 in the category of online games I couldn't give a shit about. I think I tried it soon after it came out and did not see the appeal. I bet my kid will want to play it soon.

Ev1L AuRoN

To my taste, no. But removing myself from the equation, yes, I believe it is.
Minecraft stands right beside Mario as an iconic game, and it has penetrated our culture zeitgeist
We can argue all day about how good or bad it is, but it is undeniable that the game has impacted
profoundly the industry.

tommolb

Yes. Without a doubt.

In objective terms in terms of cultural impact, popularity and sales

In personal terms - have played for a decade now and still not bored of it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's kind of like a digital prostate exam.

Yeah, it's important.

Sure, half the population experiences it at least once.

But it isn't fun, and I don't trust people who like it.

Pejo

It's more of a platform than a game at this point, but you can't argue with the cultural significance that it has. I personally thought Terrarria was a better "game" that mostly follows the same gameplay loop, but I like the objectives more and 2D just worked (for me) better than 3D.

That said, in my personal list, it's not even in the top 500.

dem

I've never been into it... but kids are VERY into it.

I think a lot of people lack the creativity/imagination required. My kids and their friends never seem to get tired of it. Its actually impressive seeing my kid build stuff and hearing the storyline he comes up with on his own.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
You suspect wrong, I've been here around since the rise of video games. All more important in what sense? Being first? Being more important to a generation (pacman)? Are Pong & Pacman relevant today at all after 30 years? No. Minecraft will have decades longer legs then either of these titles and it's easily to see why as dumb as the term lego on pc is its the simple truth... and we only need to look at the staying power of the physical bricks, Minecraft as a title has already touched far more people and generations. I wouldn't be surprised if its sold more copies then even the main stay Mario titles across all generations at this point.

'Important' means different things for different people and I just can't see it going anywhere. It's still the most accessible and friendly game at this point that every kid cuts their teeth on when old enough to finally want to 'play games'
Pac-Man games are being released this year. For Minecraft to match that, it would need a release in 2050. I'm not holding my breath.

JCK75

I think the impact it had on open world, creative building and what coop can be in a game gives it the right to such a slot yes.

Orbital2060

I dont know if it has been mentioned but its pretty wild how Minecraft has become an evergreen in the Japanese market. Its become part of the videogame pantheon in the same way that Mario and Sonic, and a bunch of other Japanese gaming icons through association with Smash Brothers for example. And crossover Mario DLC.
8F9bdOF.jpg

eqoIZXo.jpg

Graphs from InstallBase

Top Bottom