• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider yourself well-off, financially?

TheMan

Sort of? My income jumped significantly about 1.5 years ago but my standard of living is nearly the same due to paying off debts. Like, I can eat out or buy video games basically at will but in the end those are so frivolous and stupid. I don't feel any richer or happier, in fact due to increased work obligations and family issues my anxiety is higher than ever.

After starting my businesses around 8 years ago 2019 was my biggest year yet with just shy of 3 million in revenue. Obviously thats not all profit but combined with my wifes 6 figures as a retail regional manager and the result is that I'm living a way better life than teenage me could have ever imagined growing up in a trailer in rural kentucky.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am very successful, due to a lot of hard work and a good career choice. I paid off my student loans years ago and have no debt otherwise. I have succeeded beyond what I thought I was capable of. That said, my life has not gone the way I wanted. I live in NYC so rent is a bitch (recently sold my place in the city) but am considering leaving for greener and hopefully cheaper pastures.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
In my case my 20s were a complete mess of drugs and sex. I put work into getting skills, thank fuck, but the rest of my life was a shambles. I hit 30, met the wife, and got shit together.

You're correct that parental help is a huge leg up for some fortunate people. That was never an option for me as my dad did more drugs than I did and my mum was a functioning alcoholic who never managed to keep him in check. Honestly it's a miracle I've done ok - it really did help to have a passion for something that ended up paying well, otherwise I have no idea where I'd be. I know a lot of people who are really fucked though, from my generation - those who, like me, didn't get it done early were fucked (though had I done so I'd have almost certainly lost it all as I was making terrible decisions with women).

The next generation are truly fucked if we don't build a fucktonne of houses very very quickly. Of course it's even worse for them because COVID has bankrupted the government so it's likely they'll not have access to state pension, unemployment benefit (which I've never claimed), possibly even the NHS, so they'll have to fund much more of those out of their own pockets but without the income to achieve that, and with a housing market that excludes them. They're going to be really fucking angry.

Getting the country out of this mess is going to take someone with remarkable skill and imagination, but I can't see that anywhere on government or opposition benches.

Luckily for me, the major sex/drugs/hedonism part of my life was over with by my mid 20s and once I started earning ok money I had grown out of it. I'm also from a pretty dysfunctional and poor family so didn't have much/any support growing up and had to figure things out for myself.

In terms of work, I'm yet to find something that I'm actually passionate about but have built a career in construction/building development (with a specific focus on fire safety in buildings) and you can luckily earn a decent wage in that sector now, especially post Grenfell.

Future generations do seem fucked in the UK which is partly why I'm so reluctant to have any children. Completely agree about Government as well, I can't see anyone getting us out of this mess.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Luckily for me, the major sex/drugs/hedonism part of my life was over with by my mid 20s and once I started earning ok money I had grown out of it. I'm also from a pretty dysfunctional and poor family so didn't have much/any support growing up and had to figure things out for myself.

In terms of work, I'm yet to find something that I'm actually passionate about but have built a career in construction/building development (with a specific focus on fire safety in buildings) and you can luckily earn a decent wage in that sector now, especially post Grenfell.

Future generations do seem fucked in the UK which is partly why I'm so reluctant to have any children. Completely agree about Government as well, I can't see anyone getting us out of this mess.

The only route out to a better future is for productive people to have kids and bring them up well. That's how you create the future you crave. There is no other route.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel like the richest person in my family even though I am just a process engineer in Poland.
Make decent money but it's still barely enough. I live comfortably but it's not even 1500usd.
Still - That's 5x more than I had about 8 years ago... in the same company lol

Last edited:
I'm not wealthy, but I have nothing to complain about.

I have no student loan or credit card debt, a pretty nice apartment with a mortgage, about 20K saved up, employed with a full time contract, and besides spending some money every few years on a nice TV, PC and speakers, I don't live an expensive lifestyle, so I'm pretty much never worried about my finances.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I’m a lawyer and my wife is a doctor, so yeah. And we live in rural Kentucky with only a $900 a month mortgage and both our cars are paid off. We keep those things under control so we can save money for fun stuff, hobbies and season tickets to UK sports.
I always found it wise when those who earn more choose to move into rural homes (modern farm houses or just larger newer houses in the countryside). You get more land, more peace, and get your money's worth in terms of housing. Plus, you own your property. Doctors and lawyers who like in NYC or Chicago invest their money into 2-bedroom apartment suites and it's rental with no land and a bit claustrophobic.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I make about $70k and wife about $62k.
We are Australian and currently live quite comfortably though we are soon looking at getting into the property market so I anticipate my comfortable living will shift somewhat.

AfricanKing

Yeah I’d say I’m doing more than okay - We just got our mortgage and combined earn six figures. I work in tech and she works in the NHS. We live on the outskirts of London so it’s not super expensive.

Tesseract

Banned
i worked hard in my twenties, made smart crypto decisions back in 2009

injuries nearly wiped me out, long 7 year run where madness met the face of deep, but i'm back now w / reasonably sustained portfolio, good credit, no debt

there's a couple studios outta austin and bellevue that'll have me if things go south, and the military is always there if duty calls

highrider

Banned
I’m on my goal of retirement at 55, I plan on moving to South Carolina or Florida in a few years when my son is kind of secure on his path forward in life. I’m building a house with separate garage and downdraft booth, I can just kind of focus on doing custom work and art, getting a tan, finding great strains of pot. Buying land and building on it seems like the move once your out of places that make it impossible like Maryland.

Last edited:

Kayoba

I'm okay I think, though I am poorer than average. It depends on what the definition is.

While I don't have enough money to buy a house or an apartment, I got some money saved up just in case. I also got a full time job, no debts and I own my car in a society where it's getting very popular to rent one. So in worst case scenario, I can always sell it.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Yes. Our take home puts us in the top 2% earners in the country. I'm not telling you my wages but if we both lost our jobs we would not need to look for work for 15 years with our current lifestyle. South East England.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Yes, I have it pretty good economically. I make decent money, no loans or debts, everything I own is payed off with my own money. I've also been saving up a rather large nesting egg so I don't feel stressed about the future. I can afford yearly vacations trips, new clothes, accessories and video games without my wallet crying too much.

I grew up poor so I've been working hard on setting myself up so that I don't have to worry about money like my parents did in my age.

But even so, I'm very wary about spending, and I'll always put away a decent amount of money from salary to savings.

lock2k

Banned
I live a fine life, my daughter goes to a good school, we pay our bills and we have food on our table.

My wife is currently not working and she's attending her second college after her first college and post-grad (switching careers).

I'm certainly way poorer than my dad is. lol

To sum it up. Grew up in the hood, a simple life, my father climbed up several levels and I got used to a standard of living that I can't really have anymore) - but I don't really make much debt, I'm very controlled in how I spend. I really don't care about social status or brands or shit like that, I really don't give a fuck about fancy cars, nothing, I just want to make more so I can travel and have good experiences. Before I was a father it was a little better in that regard, but I love being a father.

I thought I would be in a way better position in my age but, who knows, maybe it will get better, maybe it will get worse... let's see what the future holds. I also despise my own career and choices and I'm trying to change some things. I really do not like what I became.

Last edited:

led4lyfe

I think I’m well-off. I move around a lot because of work, but right now I’m in Texas. 90k a year here is more than enough, so I’ve been saving for an early retirement. Might try and take a less paying and stressful job in a few more years.

I got really lucky, I went the 2 year degree route and I sorta fell into the career I have. scholarships covered my tuition so I finished without debt. Can’t thank my parents enough for guiding and supporting my decisions when I was trying to figure it all out.

DJR

Not for much longer. I stupidly resigned during the current crisis, but my job was making me ill. Hunting for a new job right now won't be easy, so I'll be struggling for a while!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m pretty well off. The covid stuff was actually incredibly beneficial as my job had no ill effects, let me work crazy overtime, and bonuses out the ass due to heavily increased sales. Probably made an extra $20k. I also have inheritances Maturing in bonds that will yeild about $120k in a few years.

the fact that I can quit everything for like 5 years paying same bills and indulgences makes me feel pretty good about the future.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Bonus Question: How much do you make?
Bonus BONUS Question: Where do you live?

This is going to be a question that varies location to location, so it should be interesting to see responses.

I'm okay. Between my wife and i, we make about 110k a year. We live in Irvine, CA which is pretty expensive. Between rent + car payments + student loans, it takes a pretty big chunk out of my income. Plus pre-covid, I was spending $500 in gas a month. Still, I can save a little bit each month. But things were looking dire when my car broke down last year and I had a few unexpected expenses.. We were able to weather the storm though. Still, we don't make enought o have a child or anything like that.

I came from poor parents. I never really had money. I lost the only decent job after 34 years due to corona. I wont get any pension when iam old. Have to add for social help to increase my retirement money. I still have 18.000 Euro study debt and thanks to our retarded government i wasnt able to finish studying and had to cancel it after 3 years.

I started to exploit now our social system to get some advantages. I will take everything i can get for free and let all the other tax payers pay for it. Otherwise you dont need our social system anyway. Getting 4000 Euro now paid for further education. I will get further educated in "Internet Marketing for Companies" with a focus on "Social Media". My "Unemployment Office" forbids me to get a job now until iam done with it. ;)

Not my problem. I will just let the tax payers pay another 3 months for my unemployment.

Fun fact: Its normally for people who work part time and takes 6 months. Unemployment office wants me to do it fulltime for 3 months. No problem. Now they pay 4000 + 3300 = 7300 Euro for something iam just doing because iam bored sitting around. If i would get a job now they could save 3300 Euro. Again. Not my problem.

Will add that to my Job experience and hopefully find a nice job at the beginning of next year. Already wasted 5 months due to Corona and unemployment.

I will see what i can do starting next year. Hopefully i find a new job, a new appartment, can move in with my wife and see what i can manage until iam too old. I guess i will leave my country when iam old because i just cant afford living here anymore when iam retired.

Additional.... Iam going to use everything what i learn about Social Media for my own Social Media Brand that iam building up right now. I will go back writing my sci-fiction/fantasy novel and iam developing an RPG maker Game right now based on the story of my books.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Yes. I am financially independent but still work at the moment as I want a better post retirement standard of living. I will be retired before 40, as will my fiance and we also have 3 kids.

Me and the missus make about £60k in the UK. She only works two days a week (I really should kick her arse about it). Used to be a pretty high earner but got sacked in 2018. 🤪 Earn a lot less now, but quality of life is better. Consider myself lucky as I live in social housing in London. So only pay £400 a month in rent. Average rent on my road in private sector for same apartment is £1600! 😱😱😱😱😱

Mihos

Gold Member
I feel like the richest person in my family even though I am just a process engineer in Poland.
Make decent money but it's still barely enough. I live comfortably but it's not even 1500usd.
Still - That's 5x more than I had about 8 years ago... in the same company lol

I know my share of engineers in Poland. They are all pretty good. Economy has changed there completely from when I first started traveling there

No. I am in my last year of grad school. After that, I need to do three years of residency where I’ll be making $60-70k a year. Once I graduate from residency, I will be well off.

DESTROYA

Yes, sort of for now anyway.
Basically I sold my business about a year ago that I built from the ground up for a very good price and can officially retire if I wanted too.
Saying that staying home all day gets boring quick.
Last couple of years I used to average about $3000-$4000 a week take home.
Live in MASS.
House and cars are paid off , not a cheap bastard but dont spend money on crazy shit either.
Growing up dirt poor really made me get used too not having much around

Cycom

Banned
I’m doing well, all things considered. Own a good sized home in L.A. Mortgage paid off. Not due to money-making prowess but some good fortune. Car paid off. All credit cards payed off each month. No debt outside of utilities and my kids’ private school tuition. I’m not wealthy at all but I tell my children that we live better than royalty did back in the day.

Meowzers

No way.

Though I can save for Series X in just 2 months, with games involved.

I'll always represent working class.

Last edited:
No!

but I do follow some rules.

1 - my salary, never use more than 50%-70% each month. I’m mostly less than 50%.
2- rent, never pay more than 30% of your salary.
3 - at 30,35 years old. have at least one year of your salary as savings.
4 - I never took a loan and I only buy paying full amount. (This one people may say is bad , but is how my dad teach me, and he did really well, this is for family own private assets, not company )

Azzurri

Family business does over 10 million in revenue with about a 30% profit margin, so I reap the benefits of that since I work there, but I also personally make over 6 figures and no debt.

But it's A LOT of stress and not easy field we work in.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I'd say yes. Went from homeless for a few months to be able to live comfy for a while if I get laid off. Saved money away in stocks and IRAs and I should be ok when I retire.

jsnake19

Under 40 and doing pretty well. ~$500k net worth at the moment. Most of that is for retirement though, currently on track to retire by my goal of 58 so fingers crossed. Make over 100k+ living in the midwest. Have a decent amount of debt, but it's not hard to manage and it's not credit cards, all low interest stuff.

My white privilege got me and my siblings raised at the poverty level by a single mom who was a server, but thankfully we had a strong family overall and grandparents who looked out for us. Worked hard in school, earned a really solid scholarship, took the rest in loans that I'm still paying off. Managed to not do anything too stupid (or at least not get caught doing it) in my late teens and early 20's. Graduated college, took a few shit jobs, got fortunate that I made it through a tough hiring process in a well paying industry (that had nothing to do with my degree) while I was in my mid 20's. Started saving in 401k and IRA's as soon as I could and have been balancing savings, debt and fun things ever since. I'm going to enjoy myself as much as I can because tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Top Bottom