• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you even encounter other players in anthem?

VertigoOA

Banned
It looks like the campaign is laid out like the division. That you’re relatively alone in the world, instances with zero players other than those that group up with you. Hope not, because that’s extremely weak for coop game.

Hopefully the campaign is short so you can get to the end game and meat and potatoes of the game and it’s coop activities.

Last edited:

wit3tyg3r

I only played a bit of the alpha, but based on my experience, it's not going to be like an MMO or Destiny where you encounter other players in the world. You have to matchmake with them when you start missions.

In the hub town (where you hang between missions) it seems to be solo. In free roam you are instanced with other players and can matchmake for each mission unless you opt for private.

Yeah, the overall setup reminds me of the The Division

Fbh

Lol I actually want the game to be the complete opposite. Hopefully there's a fun and lenghty campaign for those of us that dont like to play the same content over and over to grind for loot

Anyway, as others have said, from what I've read its similar to the Division

DonF

Also played the alpha, It has matchmaking before the mission but I didn't find anyone else.

VertigoOA

Banned
So ... when you explore the game world you don’t see any other players? No random public events?

Im gonna play it as I did andromeda but it’s starting to sound like this is still just pretty much a single player rpg with coop as an option. I’ve watched a bunch of latest developer vids but it’s just builds; which is fine... but I imagine all quests coming from mostly the hub area.

I’m hoping there’s a new end game hub where you can interact with other players.

Last edited:
So ... when you explore the game world you don’t see any other players? No random public events?

The alpha showed three “phases” of the game

Expeditions (missions, repeatable, can choose difficulty for better loot drops at harder settings, matchmaking with three different people or opt for solo)

The main town (I forgot what it’s called), you’re solo. This is like the tent in The Division where you went in and crafted stuff, unlocked wings, upgrades. Most of it was locked. Pretty sure you’re solo in this like the tent from The Division

Free roam, where you load into the world map where missions take place except it’s not a mission, you go around, harvest materials, events do happen like little mini missions (kill these guys, destroy this nest) other players are instanced with you and you can see them on the map. The alpha was pretty limited I think there will be caves/dungeons here as well if

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Okay so there is a free roam with random players. I’m still questioning what you meant a bit; only because division also instanced you with other players but you never actually saw them in free roam.

If it didn’t have that that would’ve been a bummer. Encountering randoms doing things, including discovering secrets, fighting strong enemies in the sandbox free roam areas, or just seeing players doing stupid shit... is the key to these games imo.

Like say what you want about fallout. I haven’t played it in ages but it’s actually doing pretty well with player engagement. Better than battlefield and who would’ve thought that

Last edited:
Okay so there is a free roam with random players. I’m still questioning what you meant a bit; only because division also instanced you with other players but you never actually saw them in free roam.

If it didn’t have that that would’ve been a bummer. Encountering randoms doing things, including discovering secrets, fighting strong enemies in the sandbox free roam areas, or just seeing players doing stupid shit... is the key to these games imo.

Like say what you want about fallout. I haven’t played it in ages but it’s actually doing pretty well with player engagement. Better than battlefield and who would’ve thought that

Yeah, I agree.

Free roam is like The Dark Zone, except all PvE no PvP, or I guess just like the planet roaming in Destiny

Last edited:

wit3tyg3r

The alpha showed three “phases” of the game

Expeditions (missions, repeatable, can choose difficulty for better loot drops at harder settings, matchmaking with three different people or opt for solo)

The main town (I forgot what it’s called), you’re solo. This is like the tent in The Division where you went in and crafted stuff, unlocked wings, upgrades. Most of it was locked. Pretty sure you’re solo in this like the tent from The Division

Free roam, where you load into the world map where missions take place except it’s not a mission, you go around, harvest materials, events do happen like little mini missions (kill these guys, destroy this nest) other players are instanced with you and you can see them on the map. The alpha was pretty limited I think there will be caves/dungeons here as well if

Ah, okay. I didn't do the free roam stuff after finishing the alpha mission. I probably should have looked into that. To be honest, I wish they included a couple more missions in the alpha to give a sense of what kind of variety there will be. I'm not sold on Anthem yet. I'm afraid it's going to be like Destiny 2 with pretty shallow and repetitive missions. I have heard good things about the expansion, but I wasn't ready to drop more money on that game. I didn't play the first Destiny and had hoped D2 would start with all the lessons they learned from the first game, but it seems like they just repeated the same formula and put better content in DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom