• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever "finish" your XBLA/PSN/WiiWare games?

entremet

I don't know if anyone can relate, but while I enjoy the downloadable services, I noticed that I rarely complete these games. I usually get me money's worth in time played and enjoyment but I just don't get have a sense of urgency with finishing them. Below are a few which I enjoyed but never finished.
WiiWare
MM9
MM10

XBLA
Omega Five
Ikaruga
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Alien Homind HD
Peggle
Countless others....

PSN
Wipeout HD Fury
Joe Danger
Countless others....

Maybe because they're much cheaper than the usual 60 buck retail release, there is no big incentive to complete them.

Does anyone else have a huge console DD backlog?

Yeah im guilty too :/

1942 Joint Strike
Burn Zombie Burn
Dark Mist
Everyday Shooter
Noby Noby Boy?!
etc.

still unfinished...

I bought Sonic 3 when it came out a year ago. Two days ago I barely started the Carnival level.

I just get so caught up with the retail games that I'd rather spend time playing those than the arcade ones.

donny2112

dallow_bg said:
Same as my disc backlog.

The same. Treat them as normal games in the backlog. The only way I wouldn't try to complete them is if they just stopped being fun to play at some point.

Zoe

The answer's the same as the answer to "Do I 'finish' my disc games?"

I do feel that I get more of my money's worth with download games.

Oli

Moreso than disk games actually. I have four S ranks in my XBL achievements, and they are all Arcade games. When a game is shorter I have more motivation to get everything out of it that I can.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've finished:
- Braid
- Trine
- Shatter
- MI:SE
- Tales of Monkey Island
- Gunstar Heroes
- GundeadliGne
- Gundemonium Re:collection
- Hitogata Happa
- Noby Noby Boy (?)
- Flower

Not finished:
- Critter Crunch
- Megaman 9
- Wipeout HD
- Echochrome

Not finished and deleted:
- Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment
- Wolfenstein 3D

For some reason I never finish them. I'm sitting on Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, and Braid at the very least. The only Arcade title I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of is Geometry Wars 2, and that's mostly because my wife plays it more than I do. :lol

botticus

Huh... I went back and apparently I have finished the games that I've enjoyed. The difference being that I can't sell the ones I don't feel like finishing like I do with my retail games.

Liberty4all

Banned
Never finish my xbla games for the most part. But then again I never finish my retail titles either.

I buy games strictly for multiplayer.

i'm in the same camp as the OP...I generally finish full retail games, but rarely finish downloadable games. off the top my head there are only a few that I remember completing - monsters, shatter, super stardust hd.

dexterslu

Normally if I don't finish the game within the first week or so I have a hard time getting back to it. I recently went back and attempted to start finishing the majority of games I have not, started with Monkey Island SE and Braid - can't just leave those points on the table!

I've also noticed that lately I've been reluctant to buy any XBLA games since most of them can be found for less 6-8 months down the road...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I only have have two XBLA titles and one of them is that free Aegis Wing game which I finished only once.

Haven't even come close to finishing Splosion Man.

Jme

I have loads of unfinished WiiWare games, the reason being that they (until recently, and even now it's a joke) didn't have demos. So I bought a lot of games that I ended up not liking enough to keep playing.

Lost Winds (just wasn't feeling it)
My Life As King (fun, but repetitive as all get out)
MM9 (impossible for me to beat this)
I'm sure theres more I've deleted a lot of them to 'clean the fridge'

legbone

one downside of xbla and psn is i now have a digital pile of shame in addition to a physical pile of shame. my backlog will be the end of me. i just know they are going to announce the ps4 and xbox720 (or whatever) and i am going to be stuck with 50 or so games unfinished. i hope the next systems are fully backwards compatible like my ps3 fat. i won't hold my breath.

Degen

I finished my Castlevania SOTN "PS1 Classics" download, if that counts. The game is cake once you get a fast weapon.

I'm downloading Rayman and Oddworld on my PS3 right now and I was just thinking to myself: 'I wonder if I'll ever actually complete them' haha.

I bought Crash Bandicoot and Vagrant Story a while ago and I still haven't finished either one. I love them both, I just forget about them I guess... Or it's the fact that I only have a urgency to download these games when I'm stoned and I'm talking to my mates saying: 'Do you remember Rayman for the PS1...? We have to download it nao!'

entremet

Segata Sanshiro said:
I only have one unfinished download game, and that's Wipeout HD. And brother, that is not for lack of trying.
I actually finished that, but I stalled at the Fury expansion.

On another note, I rarely play my VC games. :lol It's almost like a digital hoarding syndrome.

I have finished almost all the games I bought on wiiware. Granted I bought very few. I only buy the game that I reallly want to play and finish.

Lost winds was the first that i finished. other games are puzzlers and like bomber man that you do not finish just play with friends that gives me more bang for buck.:lol

JesseZao

I was actually thinking about this a few days ago, so I went back to some of the oldest xbla games I have not beaten. My problem is that I don't have the patience for a lot of the final levels.

I can't beat the fourth/last temple in Zuma, I can't beat 9min in astropop survival, forget bejeweled, was never good enough at geo wars, etc and that's only the first batch of titles. At this point, more of it is to do with my retail backlog, but I'm chipping away. I'll be in the hole again when SummerofArcade hits.

I haven't beaten any of my PSN games and only bit.trip beat of my wiiware titles. Not sure that I've beaten many of my VC games either (not counting OG cartridge versions of those games)

LQX

Mostly the adventure/story driven ones like Castlevania and Shadow Complex. Don't really try and finish games like Splosian Man and Ikaruga.

Rafaelcsa

Yes, of course. They're usually short and really fun. Perfect combination for finishing them off quickly.

My only problem is with finishing the Bit.Trip games. I love them, they're so fun...! But I can't finish not a single one of them. It makes me so sad that I never beat the 3rd stage of Bit.Trip Beat. :(

Taking from my Backloggery page, here are the WiiWare games I've finished:

ArtStyle: Orbient
Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth
Contra Rebirth
Excitebike World Rally
Gradius Rebirth
LIT
LostWinds
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
Mega Man 10
Mega Man 9
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Strong Bad Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner
Strong Bad Episode 2 - Strong Badia the Free
Strong Bad Episode 3 - Baddest of the Bands
World of Goo

I won't list the VC games that I finished because the it'd be too big.

Zomba13

I finish plenty of them. Usually I power through a downloadable console title as they are short compared to a full retail release. I do have a few I've left unfinished though like MM10. I finished 9 but for some reason MM10 is just too hard >.< I think it's because I left it longer before playing 10 and was out of practice.

KevinCow

Banned
I have a bunch of unfinished downloadable games on Wii Ware, XBLA, PSN, and Steam. I seem to be far less inclined to finish a game if I don't have a physical copy staring me in the face.

skyfinch

I was going to a couple weekends ago, but some punk decided it was cool to invent licenses. Copied all my stuff over to my new Xbox, did the license transfer thing over at xbox.com, but still, all the games I paid for are now in trial mode.

Yep all the time. I've got probably 40 digital games.

The only game I don't think I've finished out of all of them was FFCC:MLaaDL because it gets stupid confusing as you progress.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
botticus said:
Huh... I went back and apparently I have finished the games that I've enjoyed. The difference being that I can't sell the ones I don't feel like finishing like I do with my retail games.
At $5 and $10, you're not really losing anything you wouldn't have from renting or reselling.

stuminus3

I have a crapload of DD games I haven't finished across all 3 console platforms, but then again, I've got the same crapload of disc based games I haven't finished either. I don't think it makes any difference to me. If anything, I finish more DD games because I can't be bothered getting off the couch to put in a disc.

Magnus

Diablohead said:
I finish them all since they are usually shorter and more fun then most full retail games.

Came in to say some version of this, but it's basically true. I've only downloaded a scant few (like five this year) but they're all done.

botticus

Princess Skittles said:
At $5 and $10, you're not really losing anything you wouldn't have from renting or reselling.
Yeah, I'm not too terribly worried about the cost else I wouldn't have bought them in the first place, more that it distorts the ratio a bit.

Gameboy415

I've finished a bunch of Virtual Console games on Wii (Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Sin & Punishment, etc.), but the only WiiWare game I've "finished" is Bubble Bubble Plus.

On PSN, I've finished these:
-Critter Crunch
-TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-shelled
-Shatter
-Peggle
-Noby Noby Boy (got all the trophies..)
-Metal Gear Solid 4 Database (I read everything...)
-Linger in Shadows :lol

Top Bottom